Rudy Gay to Sacramento!!!

If anything, this trade solidifies the front office and their notion that being aggressive is the way to go for this team. From the deal to acquire D Will, to this one to acquire Gay, the FO is doing what they said they were gonna do, and that is be aggressive. Something our previous regime failed to do because we had two bonehead douchebags as our owners. I definitely see the team making some additional moves. I'd hate to see JT leave, but he may get us the best value in return....

Loving what I am seeing so far from this team!!!!!!!! GO KINGS GO!!!!!

Why is it being said that Gay will play PF for us? Does anybody here actually see that? Same "media type" said Williams would play PF and he didn't.
If JT is indeed being shopped Gay and Williams will likely be the 3/4 combo before long, I could see Landry starting eventually with Gay at the 3 though. With IT, McLemore, Gay, Williams we are extremely athletic at 4 positions and Cousins himself is actually quite athletic for a guy of his mass.

Anyone against the trade because it kills our 2014 caproom needs to think for a second. The Kings have never been a major player in free agency, we will probably never be able to sign a player of Gay's quality through free agency, we will be able to sign players like Vasquez, Salmons, Patterson and Hayes(2 of those are Petrie signings). Even in our hayday our best signings were Jim Jackson, Keon Clark with our crown jewel through free agency was Brad Miller. I loved Brad but when you say he has been your best free agent signing(in my memory at least) it makes these trades absolute no-brainers. At worst we continue to stink and we get a stud through the draft with a huge expiring next year, or Gay walks(doubtful).
I would remind you that we signed Vlade as a free agent and as good as Brad was, he was no Vlade.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I would remind you that we signed Vlade as a free agent and as good as Brad was, he was no Vlade.
  1. We didn't sign Divac as a free agent in our heyday. Divac was signed as a free agent before our heyday got started.
  2. That was almost sixteen years ago; who's the best free agent we've signed since Divac?

I always assumed we traded for Vlade, I started watching basketball casually around that time but became a huge fan the year the Lakers beat the Trailblazers in the WCF, the next season the Kings won me over with their style and became my team.

Does anyone think Ray Mac was recalled so quick from the D-League because this trade was in the works, and they wanted Ray Mac to practice with the team? Meanwhile they showcased Vasquez, Salmons, Patterson, Hayes (This would actually explain why Salmons and Hayes in particular have seen bigger minutes the last week or so).

To be honest the best free agent signing since vlade was probably Shareef
I would say Bonzi for that one season had a bigger impact, he and Artest were actually extremely fun to watch together, we became a team that posted their SG and SF almost exclusively with a young Kevin Martin chipping in.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I would say Bonzi for that one season had a bigger impact, he and Artest were actually extremely fun to watch together, we became a team that posted their SG and SF almost exclusively with a young Kevin Martin chipping in.
Bonzi was a trade also for bobby Jackson.

Why is it being said that Gay will play PF for us? Does anybody here actually see that? Same "media type" said Williams would play PF and he didn't.
Because in the NBA, they have it "setup" so that a forward always has to be designated as a "power forward" or a "small forward". It wasn't always this way. There was a time where a simple "forward" was good enough.

If Williams and Gay play together, we'll have two 'interchangeable' forwards

Entity

Hall of Famer
What I am getting at. Is all the post that come up or will come up about possible free agent signings in 15. Forget it it will not happen all our damage will be and has always been via trades or draft picks.

That was a great season! And the next year Bonzi was a free agent and was offered a big contract and he turned it down because he thought he could get more. Turns out he settled for a vet minimum for a year. Wonder whatever happened to that guy. Probably drinks heavily now.

Raptors fans are saying that he got fat over the summer, so that's why. But really, it's to prevent Derrick Williams from losing trade value.

That was a great season! And the next year Bonzi was a free agent and was offered a big contract and he turned it down because he thought he could get more. Turns out he settled for a vet minimum for a year. Wonder whatever happened to that guy. Probably drinks heavily now.
Bonzi was one of those rare players who absolutely crushed us whenever he played us, and then after we got him he played really well for us.
He was like the anti-Mikki Moore.

What I am getting at. Is all the post that come up or will come up about possible free agent signings in 15. Forget it it will not happen all our damage will be and has always been via trades or draft picks.
Times are changing. We've got a very serious and determined owner and front office group. We've got a new arena on the way. This isn't the same old situation that it was since '85, regarding free agents.

Within a couple of years, Sac will not be looked at as just an outlier small market that is a 'less desirable' place to play

Ok, so a bit late to the party here.

Wow what a huge move.

I've never been a huge Gay fan, but if you can turn your mid-to-poor assets that have no future on this team into a single talent that has potential on this team while not destroying your cap flexibility then it's a huge win. If he plays well then it's a positive and if he plays poorly he's a massive expiring that helps with draft position, there is literally no down-side at all.

I also hope that we continue to see IT come off the bench. I think that if he starts then he's going to have to seriously change the way he plays which will result in reduced shots and lower scoring totals.
I doubt that Ray is in any shape to jump into a starting role right now but it's not as if we're looking to make the playoffs at the moment, so you might as well take the risk. The style of play that Ray brings is simply a better fit with Cousins/Gay/Williams/Ben than what IT brings from that position.

I do think that we must be looking for a starting caliber PG unless they do think that Ray is that guy. As to future trades, I am expecting more changes to come and I really don't expect to see Thornton on the roster by the end of the year.

Does anyone think Ray Mac was recalled so quick from the D-League because this trade was in the works, and they wanted Ray Mac to practice with the team? Meanwhile they showcased Vasquez, Salmons, Patterson, Hayes (This would actually explain why Salmons and Hayes in particular have seen bigger minutes the last week or so).
Yes, this definitely makes sense now

not much. i've already stated that i believe PDA did well in dumping scrubs for a player of value. however, i'm not going to be suckered into believing that rudy gay is somebody other than the player that he is simply because of the excitement generated by the kings' involvement in a big trade...
Well I haven't really seen any posts that suggests Gay will be a piece that can be used around Cousins. I don't see anybody suggesting we just traded for a perennial All-Star and that this team will finally turn the corner with this trade.

say what you want about tyreke evans, that guy will get you 4-5 apg while taking most of his shots near the rim. gay, on the other hand, takes about as many long twos as shots at the rim, and he shoots those long twos very poorly. he's a chucker of the highest order, and he's exactly the kind of player kings fans have been hoping the team would purge from the roster. he's a good rebounder from the SF position, but the kings are talking about using him as a stretch 4, where i imagine he'll struggle, defensively and on the boards...
It wasn't too long ago that Rudy Gay was considered one of the better small forwards in the league.

Gay 2010-2012

EFG% : 49.1, 50.3, 48.0
TS% : 53.5, 54.8, 52.1
Shots at Rim: 5.3, 4.0, 5.1

Tyreke Evans 2010-2012:

EFG%: 47.3, 43.2, 46.4
TS: 52.9, 48.2, 51.2
Shots at Rim: 8.4, 6.2, 7.0

I'll be excited if Gay returns to his old form, but even if he doesn't I firmly believe he can be traded for assets.[/quote]

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Not to be tooting my horn (toot, toot) I mentioned that the only reason Ray would be recalled was that he was going to be used by the team. I didn't know there was going to be a trade but obviously that was a possibility.

The only concern about Rondo is, will he still be the same player before the injury or not?
Both those trades are pipe dreams unfortunately.

I'm neutral on this trade. Rudy seems too selfish now but hopefully Malone can change him. Hopfully Kings can land one of Smart/Exum/Embiid to finish off the starting 5.