Rudy Gay to Sacramento!!!

dude12

Hall of Famer
Downside of the trade....I don't like IT as a starter.
Kings may find out that Ray can handle the position enough to start him leaving IT in the 6th man role where he can continue to get his 30+ minutes. The difference between Ray and GV is that Ray can play defense....if I'm Sac I'm getting the kid minutes starting tomorrow. If they put Jimmer at PG, I'll be extremely disappointed. There's no point in doing that

Kings may find out that Ray can handle the position enough to start him leaving IT in the 6th man role where he can continue to get his 30+ minutes. The difference between Ray and GV is that Ray can play defense....if I'm Sac I'm getting the kid minutes starting tomorrow. If they put Jimmer at PG, I'll be extremely disappointed. There's no point in doing that
That's what I'm thinking. With Cousins, Gay, and McLemore, you don't really need your pg to do much other than defend and bring the ball up the floor. It would be nice if he had good court vision for transition opportunities and could space the floor as well, two areas where McCallum is hasn't shown much in his limited play.

FWIW, if Jimmer were to ever have a chance at cracking a starting lineup, it would be alongside a ball-dominant wing player like Gay purely as a floor spacer. I can't see it working with McLemore, but I'm operating on the assumption that Jimmer's handles are only marginally better than they were last year. I haven't seen enough of him this year to draw a conclusion.

I was hoping the Kings got Monta Ellis this summer.. Everyone was bashing on him because of his shooting %. Now hes on a new team and hes killing it in dallas.. Hopefully Rudy can do the same here in Sac.
This is really exciting, cant wait for Wednesday... So much for finals week

It's quite interesting. We spent a majority of this year saying how the players we traded for should never see another minute for the team. Now people have mixed feelings that they are gone.
I haven't really seen anyone complaining about the talent of the guys we are sending out. The only issues (and there haven't been many) are:

1. IT starting at point and how having so many gunners could cause problems.
2. Gay just isn't that good anymore (especially making his salary)

That being said, probably couldn't have gotten much more for that package so we'll see. If people haven't watched Toronto much this year, I do think people are going to be disappointed if Gay plays like how he has been playing.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I haven't really seen anyone complaining about the talent of the guys we are sending out. The only issues (and there haven't been many) are:

That being said, probably couldn't have gotten much more for that package so we'll see. If people haven't watched Toronto much this year, I do think people are going to be disappointed if Gay plays like how he has been playing.
If Gay comes out and chucks up 37 Salmonseque bricked midrange jumpers I'll eat my hat. And I don't even wear hats. But I'll go buy one, then I'll eat it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If Rudy Gay takes thirty-seven shots in a game, and Cousins isn't injured or suspended, I'll drive to Sacramento, and give him the Kerrigan Treatment myself.

This is a great trade, IMO. There is no real risk is getting rid of the players we traded. There is upside here if the coaching staff can get him playing well within some sort of system. Of course, what that system is or will be is still very much a work in progress.

IT starting could cause problems, but I don't think PDA is close to done reconstructing the team.

He hasn't been the same player he was in Memphis for the past 1 1/2 seasons, but he is still only 27 years old so he's worth the risk.

This is how I look at the trade:

1. Pete and Masai have worked together. They share some similarities. One thing I believe is alike between them is that any move they make, they make sure they can get out of the move later if it doesn't work. Nene was signed and then traded for assets in Denver. Tyreke trade and LMAM trade turn into Williams and Gay. Masai is getting contracts that end in a year or two. He has Gay's situation off the books. Pete gets a guy who can be an all-star in exchange for middling talent. If it doesn't work then Gay is a huge expiring next year.

So Gay can turn into multiple situations.

If he works out:
-Team gets high talent to pair with Cousins and a guy who can play defense. When his contract is up you can reevaluate the situation and move from there.

If Gay doesn't work out:
-Still get a high pick in a loaded draft and you have a huge expiring to offer in trade or for your own cap relief in 2015. (2015 does have FAs that the Kings could lure. This year's crop is too high society for the Sacramento market.)

If Gay for some odd reason ops out at the end of the year:
-You dumped a load of salary being used on players not in long term plans.

How it works from a basketball POV:

If Rudy is the stretch 4 then you need to look at his video and his SportsVU shotchart. Gay's best work came from the right side. He can also guard a lot of the 4s in the league. His 3pt% from the right arc is above league average. His game winning jumpers and best drives are from the right side. This matches well with Cousins left-side post game. Rudy is also a decent shot blocker to have with Cousins. Gay also has a closer mentality in him and late game offense has been an issue for the Kings. With IT and Gay, you have two guys who can get off a shot in late game situations.

How it doesn't work:

Gay was an inefficient high usage player in Toronto. Will he go back to his Memphis playstyle with Cousins as the #1 option in the post? Hard to say. He could chuckball the team into misery.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Whenever you get a trade for a star, it's usually a good thing. Hopefully we can fit Gay into a system so he won't throw up a ton of bricks like he has to start the year. I assume IT will become a starter, maybe Jimmer can get some backup time.

brent barry says he's worried about the log jam that this trade has made at the forward position with landry, thompson, gay and williams. he does know that there are 2 forward positions right? thats 4 players and 2 start at each spot and 2 backup. where's the log jam?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Marc Stein from ESPN is reporting that the Kings aren't done dealing, they are shopping JT as well(which I assume they would try and package with Jimmer and Thornton or a combination of the three). Wow these guys are cleaning house.
So, basically, Ranadive and D'Alessandro looked at what Petrie and the Maloofs left them and said, "Nuke it from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I'm from Toronto and it's a win-win.

Rudy Gay has a high ego and takes way too many shots but maybe he can change with Cousins persona.

As for Toronto, we get rid of one of the most overpaid contracts in the NBA while getting a Back-UP PG and expiring contracts.

I have not been this excited about a Kings trade since the summer of 98. I think the Kings just got better.

PDA is not done, I expect MT to be moved along with an asset by the deadline.

KB

Marc Stein from ESPN is reporting that the Kings aren't done dealing, they are shopping JT as well(which I assume they would try and package with Jimmer and Thornton or a combination of the three). Wow these guys are cleaning house.
Hmmm...well, Stein might just be throwing that out there to stir the pot, all the BSPN guys are known for that...but I know Thornton probably isn't happy with the way things are working out, so it wouldn't surprise me if we were shopping him. Wonder why we'd shop JT, beings he's our only serviceable big man, unless we were about to get Asik or something...which btw, I'd TOTALLY be in approval of, and if Pete pulls that one off, I'd have to say we might make a run at a .500 season/playoffs with THAT roster.