NFL 2023-2024 Thread

the main difference between 2019 and this loss is that the main discourse after than one was Jimmy G not being the QB of the future and this one featuring the other team talking about how good Brock is.
Sure, one of the best DC's ever thinks Brock is good and fully admitted to having to adjust because of how well he was playing, but Nick Wright and Shannon Sharpe told me they still have questions and he's a game manager.

Who am I to believe here?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I've got mixed feelings about the Steve Wilks firing...

I'm not going to lie, by mid-season when our killer defensive line barely had any sacks at all I was wondering how much longer he would have that job but they bounced back in the second half of the season. For 4 straight quarters starting at half-time in the NFC Championship and ending at half-time in the Super Bowl that Niners defense was absolutely monstrous. The Lions were silenced. The Chiefs couldn't even manage a first down. It all unraveled at the end there but making him the scapegoat for losing the Super Bowl seems unfair. Special Teams is the unit that actually cost us the championship.

And thats whats so painful. The 49ers had the chiefs TWICE for the big win. They just gacked away a 10 point lead, TWICE. And that not even talking about what Kyle did in atlanta as OC in the SB. In my book, guys not great. But its all moot anyway. Kyles not going anywhere.
I dunno, the earlier Superbowl, the Chiefs offense was like a stick of dynamite, and the 49ers could not score enough to give themselves enough cover for the explosion - credit the Chiefs mediocre defense then whcih kinda showed the 49ers offense was mediocre.. This last game though the 49ers had the better offense in the NFL going in, and Shanahan went away too quickly from running the ball after some early penalties......the game came down to bigger mistakes by the 49ers on special teams, but I really thought Shanahan should've been running the ball 45 times last Sunday and he didn't. You have one of if not the best RBs in the NFL, take advantage. The defense did its job for 3.5 quarters way better than the Lions game.. 49ers offense did not put up 30+ pts which I thought they needed and actually would get - right on the first account.. Its disappointing, but not too match since the defense played well. Hoping they draft the speediest CB in the darft and work on his fundamentals in either the 2nd or 3rd round. !st round should be the best OL available. With 11 picks, take at least 4 OL and 3 Secondary,, 1 DL, 1 LB,, 2 WRs, . Try to sign both Jennings and Aiyuk....

I'm riding with Shanahan. Firing a coach for not winning a superbowl is really stupid.

Most coaches don't even sniff the success that Shanahan has had so far. He's coached 7 years and when he's had an average or better QB, he's gone to two championship games and two superbowls.

Lost a superbowl thanks to Jimmy overthrowing Sanders.

Lost a championship game thanks to Tartt dropping an easy pick right off his chest.

Potentially lost a championship game thanks to Purdy getting hurt on the first drive.

Lost a superbowl thanks to a punt going off of a blocker's foot.

Yeah they're excuses but if any one of those single plays are different, the Niners either win the superbowl or take another trip to the superbowl.
That punt mistake was the returners fault......McCloud did not react well to it before it was too late - failing to scream earlier at this blockers to get outta there. It was probably the single largest mistake in teh game. 49ers special teams did not block well all game,.

hrdboild

Staff member
That punt mistake was the returners fault......McCloud did not react well to it before it was too late - failing to scream earlier at this blockers to get outta there. It was probably the single largest mistake in teh game. 49ers special teams did not block well all game,.
He also needed to fall on it and just retain possession at that point. He tried to scoop it off the ricochet and that's never a good idea.

He also needed to fall on it and just retain possession at that point. He tried to scoop it off the ricochet and that's never a good idea.
Yeah maybe, falling on it is a one and done proposition though, if he somehow misses falling on it, probably can't recover either. It should've been everyone scatter and deal with the yards fallout rather than possession turnover. It looked preventable. Lots of holding calls on offense too - at least 4 I think

The most frusterating plays likely were the offense flunking following the great pressure/interception of Mahomes in the opening 3rd Q. They were at the 45 or so, and only needed 1 first down and some change for a FG. Horrendous....cant remember - something like a 1st down run for 1 yard, some dumb screen-type pass for several yards lost, and then a stuff or throw-away.

That idiot going to prevent / soft coverage as opposed to what he did ALL GAME LONG from the go-ahead FG on was absolutely fire-worthy.
Its not just him thought its alot of coaches - I call it the prevent win........but I dont fault the defense nearly as much as the special teams and offense, if you look at the game whollistically.

It's hard to blame Ray Ray though. Dude trying to process the ball kicking off the defenders leg at the last second in real time. I thought it was his fault too, before I saw it kick off our defenders leg. The fact he even saw that is pretty impressive.

Just crap crap luck tbh

hrdboild

Staff member
Yeah maybe, falling on it is a one and done proposition though, if he somehow misses falling on it, probably can't recover either. It should've been everyone scatter and deal with the yards fallout rather than possession turnover. It looked preventable. Lots of holding calls on offense too - at least 4 I think

The most frusterating plays likely were the offense flunking following the great pressure/interception of Mahomes in the opening 3rd Q. They were at the 45 or so, and only needed 1 first down and some change for a FG. Horrendous....cant remember - something like a 1st down run for 1 yard, some dumb screen-type pass for several yards lost, and then a stuff or throw-away.
Those empty 3rd quarter drives by the offense did feel like the turning point in the game. A couple of successful drives there could have slammed the door on KC making a miracle comeback. It's hard to really quibble with the play calling on any particular series though when KC does have an elite defense and kept lining up their best pass rusher against the soft side of the Niners O-Line. You're not going to be able to fool a good defense on every play.

Ultimately the second-guessing stuff is just adding insult to injury. It felt like the Niners should have won that game but I said the same thing after the 2020 Super Bowl too and here we are with an 0-2 record against Mahomes and a footnote in his Hall of Fame resume.

I don’t blame Wilks for the Super Bowl loss. That was a culmination of bad breaks, failure to execute, and Kansas City WINNING the game. They took it.

However, Everybody felt the defense should’ve been better all season. Especially getting pressure on the QB and against the run. There was only a handful of games this season where I thought the defense was as dominant as it should’ve been.

There was multiple defenses better than or as good as the Niners defense this season. I think they were ranked 3rd but there was a regression from last season and we were expecting an even more fortified defense.

The fact that the defensive players like Bosa and Warner would be the first to tell you they underperformed this season says a lot.

I don’t view him as a fall guy here. I think it’s possible they move on from him even if they won the game.

I don’t blame Wilks for the Super Bowl loss. That was a culmination of bad breaks, failure to execute, and Kansas City WINNING the game. They took it.

However, Everybody felt the defense should’ve been better all season. Especially getting pressure on the QB and against the run. There was only a handful of games this season where I thought the defense was as dominant as it should’ve been.

There was multiple defenses better than or as good as the Niners defense this season. I think they were ranked 3rd but there was a regression from last season and we were expecting an even more fortified defense.

The fact that the defensive players like Bosa and Warner would be the first to tell you they underperformed this season says a lot.

I don’t view him as a fall guy here. I think it’s possible they move on from him even if they won the game.
They barely survived against GB and Detroit. In the biggest games of the year, the playoffs, the defense didn’t step up. The D Line and line backing corps has more talent than any other team. The fall off from Saleh and Demeco was rather big.