New Rondo to Kings rumor?

would definitely be sad to give up on Ben so early, but if we get Rondo i can't really complain. Rondo/Gay/Cuz is a solid trio.

just wish we could get them to take Collison instead of McLemore

J

jdbraver

would definitely be sad to give up on Ben so early, but if we get Rondo i can't really complain. Rondo/Gay/Cuz is a solid trio.

What? Why collison? It can't be skill level. Collison would be the one to keep in win now mode.

My gut feeling tells me, this won't go public unless K. Love gets officially signed by Cleveland.
Some thread in nbadraft.net made noise on this as well but unfortunately the page from the source site got deleted hours after. And the source was one legit basketball site, BTW.

IMO, there is more meat to this rumor now than before. Especially with the Marcus Smart pick and Bradley signing.
But probably Boston would want to unload Crash as well here which may not be too bad considering he started his career as a Kings and would probably be nice to retire a Kings as well.
That's just me though.

But anyway, I'm thinking this would most likely go down like this:
Rondo/Wallace for JT/Ben/Williams/Terry.
Salary works on books. Terry may end up getting a buy out and a coaching staff seat in Boston, here.

And that would make us much real threat in the WEST.

PG - Rondo/Collison/McCallum
SG - Nik/Ellington
SF - Rudy/Crash
PF - Evans/Landry/Moreland
C - DMC/Tyler

My gut feeling tells me, this won't go public unless K. Love gets officially signed by Cleveland.
Some thread in nbadraft.net made noise on this as well but unfortunately the page from the source site got deleted hours after. And the source was one legit basketball site, BTW.

IMO, there is more meat to this rumor now than before. Especially with the Marcus Smart pick and Bradley signing.
But probably Boston would want to unload Crash as well here which may not be too bad considering he started his career as a Kings and would probably be nice to retire a Kings as well.
That's just me though.

But anyway, I'm thinking this would most likely go down like this:
Rondo/Wallace for JT/Ben/Williams/Terry.
Salary works on books. Terry may end up getting a buy out and a coaching staff seat in Boston, here.

And that would make us much real threat in the WEST.

PG - Rondo/Collison/McCallum
SG - Nik/Ellington
SF - Rudy/Crash
PF - Evans/Landry/Moreland
C - DMC/Tyler
Thant would be terrible for the Celtics that's for sure. JT's contract is bad at least Wallace's is a year shorter. The Celtics aren't in dire need of cap space this year or next. The last thing the Celtics need is another PF. Williams is just a guy not someone the Celtics would be targeting by any means, he has no value other than an expiring contract. Ben would be the guy the Celtics would want and when it comes to Terry no thank you. Terry played one bad season in Boston he has no ties here heck he wasn't even liked in Boston. Draft picks somehow would have to be involved.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Thant would be terrible for the Celtics that's for sure. JT's contract is bad at least Wallace's is a year shorter. The Celtics aren't in dire need of cap space this year or next. The last thing the Celtics need is another PF. Williams is just a guy not someone the Celtics would be targeting by any means, he has no value other than an expiring contract. Ben would be the guy the Celtics would want and when it comes to Terry no thank you. Terry played one bad season in Boston he has no ties here heck he wasn't even liked in Boston. Draft picks somehow would have to be involved.
I think you may be underestimating JT just a tad bit here. While he's certainly not a Chris Webber or Karl Malone, he'd immediately be the second best big man on the Celtics if not a better all-around player than Jared Sullinger. That's not to say he's awe-inspiringly amazing or anything, simply that the Celtics big man depth chart is right up there with the Mikki Moore-era Kings in terms of meh. A solid role-player who will play solid defense, rebound, is capable of keeping a defense honest with a spot-up arc jumper, in other words a perfect 3rd big man. In those terms, Jason Thompson's contract is less than awful. Certainly not a bargain but not terrible by any means.

And perhaps you've skipped over the past several pages of posts saying this, but we pretty much can't get you any draft picks thanks to continued Maloof-era tomfoolery (currently my favorite word).

Though I understand your point I disagree with you. Celtics have two young PF's on the roster now in Sullinger and KO along with a JT clone in Brandon Bass. Celtics are in rebuild mode if they trade Rondo there is no need for a player like JT in fact the Celtics have shopped Bass with no takers. Bass is in the last year of a 6 mil deal he is expected to take a pay cut next year. Some could argue Bass is a better player. Celtics need to play the young guys, I disagree with you I think Sully and KO are pretty good young players. KO coming off a nice rookie season and Sully playing his first full NBA season.

When it comes to picks the Kings will most likely give up their pick this season to the Bulls which would make their next available pick 2017. The pick would be attractive for the Celtics future as a trade chip or to use themselves

K

KingMilz

Though I understand your point I disagree with you. Celtics have two young PF's on the roster now in Sullinger and KO along with a JT clone in Brandon Bass. Celtics are in rebuild mode if they trade Rondo there is no need for a player like JT in fact the Celtics have shopped Bass with no takers. Bass is in the last year of a 6 mil deal he is expected to take a pay cut next year. Some could argue Bass is a better player. Celtics need to play the young guys, I disagree with you I think Sully and KO are pretty good young players. KO coming off a nice rookie season and Sully playing his first full NBA season.

When it comes to picks the Kings will most likely give up their pick this season to the Bulls which would make their next available pick 2017. The pick would be attractive for the Celtics future as a trade chip or to use themselves
I don't think they are similar at all, but anyway I would rather go after Bledsoe due to his connection with Cousins than Rondo at this point and his potential in general, I have to see how Rudy Gay plays this year before I can make a prediction on what we should do tbh. Our whole team hinges on Rudy Gay at this point we know what we have in Cuz, it's weather Rudy Gay can play winning basketball or empty stats basketball that's going to decide what we should do.

Wow, I just went and look back in 2006 draft. With all this Rondo talk now, we could have had him back then, and we picked Quincy Douby :( On another thought, had we gotten Rondo back then he may not be the same Rondo now.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

I doubt they'd accept McLemore, Stauskas, McCallum, Terry and Williams with the Kings taking back Gerald Wallace's awful contract let alone trade Rondo for a package highlighted by Collison.

I just struggle to see any validity to these Rondo to the Kings rumors. Even as a one year rental I think other teams would offer more than the Kings can without including DeMarcus Cousins. Unless Ainge is secretly coveting McLemore or Rondo is saying he won't resign with any team but the Kings I just can't see it. Maybe if Rondo knew there was a deal in place to get Josh Smith and be able to play with his buddies Gay & JSmoove (and DMC) then that could maybe be possible but it would be tampering of the highest degree.

I think there's a decent chance that Rondo is on another team either via trade or next season's free agency period as the Celtics rebuild but I have a hard time seeing that team being the Kings. I'd love to be wrong though.

the fact that the celtics drafted two guards in the first round doesn't bode well for Bradley and Rondo. I would love for Rondo to come here but we'll be pretty thin at PF.

And from the sidelines ..... I really don't want Rondo, and certainly not Wallace, I ant o keep JT, wouldn't mind losing Ben. But, as usual, I'll live with what the FO does.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If there is no deal being discussed what "process" are these sources close to exactly? I am not necessarily doubting the idea that there are no trade talks (I have noway to knowone way or the other). I just find the logic of the statement its self curious.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If there is no deal being discussed what "process" are these sources close to exactly? I am not necessarily doubting the idea that there are no trade talks (I have noway to knowone way or the other). I just find the logic of the statement its self curious.
That was my first reaction. "Sources inside the discussion insist no discussion is happening." hmmm.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow, I just went and look back in 2006 draft. With all this Rondo talk now, we could have had him back then, and we picked Quincy Douby :( On another thought, had we gotten Rondo back then he may not be the same Rondo now.
Look at it this way. If we had drafted Rondo back then and he developed into any kind of decent player, the Maloofs would have dumped him for pennies on the dollar so they wouldn't have to give him a legitimate contract.

Look at it this way. If we had drafted Rondo back then and he developed into any kind of decent player, the Maloofs would have dumped him for pennies on the dollar so they wouldn't have to give him a legitimate contract.
Better to have loved and lost, yada yada.

The Maloofs have overpaid many over the years. During their late ownership: Outlaw (though none of it went to him, really), JT, Chuck Hayes, Thornton. In fact, I can't really remember the last time we signed a guy and were able to call it a bargain. I get that we're talking overpaying for middling players vs paying for top talent, but that's all we have to go on. In fact, the biggest dumps (or let walks) in terms of talent (Evans and IT) happened at the hands of Vivek, not the Maloofs.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Would you play Bass at center?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Better to have loved and lost, yada yada.

The Maloofs have overpaid many over the years. During their late ownership: Outlaw (though none of it went to him, really), JT, Chuck Hayes, Thornton. In fact, I can't really remember the last time we signed a guy and were able to call it a bargain. I get that we're talking overpaying for middling players vs paying for top talent, but that's all we have to go on. In fact, the biggest dumps (or let walks) in terms of talent (Evans and IT) happened at the hands of Vivek, not the Maloofs.
I was saying that the Maloofs overpaid for mediocre talent, but would not have paid to keep a legitimate star. It was an extremely cynical comment.

I don't really know why they apologised, as they weren't the ones to originally break the news. I guess they did run with Spence's initial report which, as I suspected, was done in order to promote himself and get more followers.
maybe everyone(celtic fans) gave them crap , so they had to say sorry , so readers comeback to there page?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We have been hearing on and off about these Rondo and Smith rumors, so it's obvious that there have been talks and for quite some time it seems. However, I really don't see anything going down until the trade deadline approaches.