New Rondo to Kings rumor?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ainge really should just quit being a turd though and do it. Everyone has expected him to do it forever. Everyone has wanted him to do it forever. Would really be a lot less trouble if he'd quit acting like a contrarian teenager and just do it already.
This sparked a memory of my friends dad when we were kids watching Kings games. He hated Danny Ainge. Couldn't stand him. Always called him "Rat Boy".

That is, until Ainge got to Sacramento via the Joe Klein trade. Then he reconsidered. Ainge wasn't a jerk. He was just really intense. And that's laudable.

Then once he was dealt to Portland it was back to Rat Boy again.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never really felt that the Kings had a strong enough package to pry Rondo away. Even if either the Celtics don't plan to resign him and/or Rondo wants a change of scenery (though he's always said he was comfortable in Boston) I figured somebody would easily outbid Sacramento.

But I am expecting a Rondo trade. The Celtics just drafted Smart, Rondo is getting older and wasn't all the way back from his ACL injury last season and he's reportedly looking for his next contract to be a big money deal.

Would love to see him in Sacramento but we'll see.

This could always happen, could have always happened at any point in the last year. But the problem here is as always sources. Dead of summer, dude running a "blogtable radio show", maybe podcast....
This. This guy doesn't have a radio show, he hosts a podcast on a free podcast site and no sources. I'll believe it when a more reputable source like ESPN or HoopsRumors starts running it.

Not sure who T-Spence is exactly, but he does have a sports (blog talk) radio show. ;) He's being given kudos for predicting the Shawn Marion to Cleveland deal almost a month ago.
I remember that guy. We did a NBA Mock draft "Blog Talk Radio" episode with guys from nbadraft.net, draftexpress.com and nba-draft.com a couple years ago. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about, but who knows how good his source is?

A very solid point. I just don't see why Boston would be inclined to give us anything to sweeten the pot.
It's not sweetening the pot for us. It's sweetening the pot for them. If they don't give us back a late 1st then we can't give them any of our 1sts until 2017 which means they would be stuck with McLemore, Williams, and maybe McCallum for Rondo (doesn't seem very realistic). By giving us a lower draft pick, it gives us the ability to give them a high draft pick thus sweetening the pot for them.

That floor spacing is beyond terrible but would take it any day of the week over the crap we got now.

Yah, that's what I would be worried about with a Rondo trade. Gay would need to step it up as a 3pt threat and Stauskas would need to dominate out there in his rookie year. We would also need a lot of bench scoring, and 3pt shooting.

It's not sweetening the pot for us. It's sweetening the pot for them. If they don't give us back a late 1st then we can't give them any of our 1sts until 2017 which means they would be stuck with McLemore, Williams, and maybe McCallum for Rondo (doesn't seem very realistic). By giving us a lower draft pick, it gives us the ability to give them a high draft pick thus sweetening the pot for them.
Except there's no way to know whose pick will be higher, given that we'll have a trio of Rondo/Gay/Cousins, for at least one year and possibly more. They're probably better off keeping their own picks, as they may be higher.

Just to add some balance before everybody gets excited:

On first glance it appears that this Kyler guy would be more reliable than Spencer, who I've never heard of. His twitter account looks like he may just be trying to get new followers. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I'm very skeptical of taking his report seriously. It's an easy rumour to put out there as it's been talked about for months.
Lol. Didnt take too long for that to get shot down.

Except there's no way to know whose pick will be higher, given that we'll have a trio of Rondo/Gay/Cousins, for at least one year and possibly more. They're probably better off keeping their own picks, as they may be higher.
Except you can apply protection to picks to ensure that we would be giving up the higher pick.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
They'd have to wait longer if the protection came in to play, which they may not want to do.
Typically what teams do in this situation is a different sort of protection. A trade can be designed such that Boston gets the better of the two picks in (say) 2016 and the Kings get the lesser of the picks via an option to swap. Now the "Hickson" pick is still hurting us, but it's easy enough to say that the option only exists if the pick is not conveyed to Chicago, or that it becomes a straight second rounder if so.

At any rate we can definitely make an attractive offer, it just takes a bit of twisting about.

None of this alleviates my salary cap concern. The Kings are currently fourth in the league in terms of payroll on the books according to Hoopshype. How would we have any wiggle room for role-players if we take on Rondo and he stays with us?

I love Rondo. And he'd be a steal right now (buying low). But I would hope that (as much as I like Rudy) that he would have to be the one to go or take a substantial paycut.

None of this alleviates my salary cap concern. The Kings are currently fourth in the league in terms of payroll on the books according to Hoopshype. How would we have any wiggle room for role-players if we take on Rondo and he stays with us?

I love Rondo. And he'd be a steal right now (buying low). But I would hope that (as much as I like Rudy) that he would have to be the one to go or take a substantial paycut.
Who cares for this year? Fill out the roster with whatever we can, we would probably be a playoff team (in the west) and then next year we would have 26 million to split between Rondo and Gay re-signing and whatever we can do with JT/Landry between now and then. We could also exceed the cap in certain situations for a role player or two. Assuming this is the trade and nothing else; his would be the team next year (with est. salaries)

PG: Rondo(14MM), Collison(5MM), Ray(1MM)
SG: Stauskas(3MM),
SF: Gay(12MM)
PF: JT(6.5MM), Landry(6.75MM)
C: Cousins(15MM), Moreland(1MM)

That is right at 63MM, the cap for this year. It will be higher next year.

If JT/Landry can be broken apart some how we could allocate those $$, we can exceed the cap w/ bird rights for Rondo and Gay (not sure how that works if we sign someone else first) and I think we would have the small mid level exemption to add probably a back up 2 guard.

Who cares for this year? Fill out the roster with whatever we can, we would probably be a playoff team (in the west) and then next year we would have 26 million to split between Rondo and Gay re-signing and whatever we can do with JT/Landry between now and then. We could also exceed the cap in certain situations for a role player or two. Assuming this is the trade and nothing else; his would be the team next year (with est. salaries)

PG: Rondo(14MM), Collison(5MM), Ray(1MM)
SG: Stauskas(3MM),
SF: Gay(12MM)
PF: JT(6.5MM), Landry(6.75MM)
C: Cousins(15MM), Moreland(1MM)

That is right at 63MM, the cap for this year. It will be higher next year.

If JT/Landry can be broken apart some how we could allocate those $$, we can exceed the cap w/ bird rights for Rondo and Gay (not sure how that works if we sign someone else first) and I think we would have the small mid level exemption to add probably a back up 2 guard.
Well the Kings would be prime candidates for the repeat offender tax. Which will be lofty. So they would not be likely to go over by any decent amount. I could be wrong though.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Where we are right now isn't where we'll be next year. Lets just suppose that we can resign Gay for 15 mil a year, and resign Rondo for a similar amount. That would mean that the three of Cousins, Gay, and Rondo would eat up $45 mil of our payroll. If you add in the remaining players that would still be under contract next season, JT, Landry, Collison, Stauskas, McCallum, and Moreland, that would bring the parroll to $67,856,658.00. I didn't include Casspi because I can't find any info on his contract as of yet, but lets just add in another 1.5 mil for the hell of it and bring it to 69.3 mil. That would give us 10 players under contract.

Were currently sitting at somewhere around 75 mil with the luxury cap at 77 mil and the hard cap at 80 mil. Next year the salary cap is projected to go up to 66.5 mil with the luxury tax going up to 81 mil. At this point, we don't know if we have to deal with a hard cap next year. The point is, it would appear we would have the wiggle room to fill out the roster, and depending on a move or two, maybe even more room. It's difficult to predict the future when you don't know what deals might be made. What you don't want to do is create paralysis by analysis. Some things you just have have to figure out as you go.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Trading Ben will be a huge mistake..
Ben did show flashes in summer league, but of all the prospects on our roster he's probably the one I'd be least worried about trading. Hell, I'd keep Nik over Ben, and Nik has yet to play an actual NBA game.

If the trade goes down here are the things that are more worrisome than Ben actually turning into a legit starter:

Rondo's age (ok, he isnt THAT old) and injury concerns.
Rondo wanting a max deal when his current contract is up.
Rondo not wanting to stick around in Sac and bolting when his contract is up.

It could all just be for a rental. Or a player that is a shell of his former self.

OTOH: If we get a fully healed and motivated Rondo....We have a LEGIT big 3.

Personally, I would have just drafted Payton (Rondo 2.0)...But hey, thats me.

Ben did show flashes in summer league, but of all the prospects on our roster he's probably the one I'd be least worried about trading. Hell, I'd keep Nik over Ben, and Nik has yet to play an actual NBA game.

If the trade goes down here are the things that are more worrisome than Ben actually turning into a legit starter:

Rondo's age (ok, he isnt THAT old) and injury concerns.
Rondo wanting a max deal when his current contract is up.
Rondo not wanting to stick around in Sac and bolting when his contract is up.

It could all just be for a rental. Or a player that is a shell of his former self.

OTOH: If we get a fully healed and motivated Rondo....We have a LEGIT big 3.

Personally, I would have just drafted Payton (Rondo 2.0)...But hey, thats me.
I don't think the FO wants to wait anymore. They have repeatedly said they want a winner already on the floor come opening day for the new arena. That's in two years time (not very long). Rondo has already been there and done that. He is also still young enough to lead this team through his next contract (should he be traded and resigned here).

The only big move that might come before the training camp is Rudy Gay's contract extension.

Rondo would be a great get for us but we do not have enough trade currency to get him. There other teams out there that could offer a lot more. The only positive on our side is that we are in the Western Conference and Boston would rather send him west than have him in the east.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well the Kings would be prime candidates for the repeat offender tax. Which will be lofty. So they would not be likely to go over by any decent amount. I could be wrong though.
The repeat offender tax ONLY kicks in as follows (from http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21):
The amount of tax a team pays depends on the season, the team salary as of the team's last regular season game, and whether the team is a "repeat offender":

• For 2011-12 and 2012-13, teams pay $1 for every $1 their team salary exceeds the tax level. There is no repeater rate.
  • For 2013-14 teams pay an incremental rate based on their team salary. There is no repeater rate.
  • For 2014-15 teams pay an incremental rate based on their team salary. They pay the repeater rate if they also were taxpayers in all of the previous three seasons.
  • For 2015-16 and all subsequent seasons, teams pay an incremental rate based on their team salary. They pay the repeater rate if they were taxpayers in at least three of the four previous seasons.
We may have a lot of things to concern us, but I don't think the repeater tax is one of them.