New Rondo to Kings rumor?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
T-Spence @tspence26 · 8h
It's believed Boston is trying to see if they can get a better deal from another team, but Sacramento has been most aggressive for Rondo.

T-Spence @tspence26 · 8h
More then McLemore/Derrick Williams/picks will be sent for Rajon Rondo, but those are the pieces involved in the trade so far, per source

T-Spence @tspence26 · 8h
Also have to clarify, no trade is imminent as of yet. But per source, 80 percent chance indicates strong possibility this Rondo deal happens

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not sure who T-Spence is exactly, but he does have a sports (blog talk) radio show. ;) He's being given kudos for predicting the Shawn Marion to Cleveland deal almost a month ago.

I'm so lost with the roster moves this off season... So if we get Rondo for Bmac/Dwill...we could be looking at:

PG: Rondo / Collison / McCallum
SG: Stauskas / T.Will? / Terry?
SF: Gay / Casspi
PF: Evans / Landry / Moreland??
C: Cousins / JT

Something like that?

EDIT: Forgot Moreland.

Getting Rondo should be a yes if the situation is right. A viable star and may get Terry to play and be motivated. Could be seeing dominoes here.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Could look bad if Ben blows up and/or Rondo isnt his old self or becomes nothing more than a rental.

OTOH.... A healthy Rondo is a beast. Rondo + Rudy + Cousins..... We shore up the bench and we might even make the playoffs.

Risky move....But definitely a win now move with huge upside.

thanks for posting!! these rumors always get my hopes up, but im actually not mad at that fact,
anymore. Our front office is clearly trying, and thats all i can ask for right now.

I remember Cousins mentioning in that Voison Q&A that we've been going for quite a few deals,
that may seem impossible to many.

I think this is a great mover for Sac. Rondo will be healthy and best of all motivated. I doubt Sac has anything left in the tank to go after J Smith but Gay Cousins Rondo is a nice team. The draft pick can't be until 2017 as a Celtics fan we at least hope by then Gay is gone and Rondo doesn't resign. McLemore is a nice player with a lot of upside but he my end up being a bench player, Williams is just a filler. Any way Sac throws in McCallum too? Rondo will have one of his best seasons this year.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Outlaw works salary wise of course so would Landry or Thompson though they would be taking back more than given. This is an all eggs in one basket (season ) type deal as Rudy and Rondo could be free agents next year. Got to hope for the best here.

J

jdbraver

Outlaw works salary wise of course so would Landry or Thompson though they would be taking back more than given. This is an all eggs in one basket (season ) type deal as Rudy and Rondo could be free agents next year. Got to hope for the best here.
Outlaw is in NYC.

since the new regime took over, many around the league have been asking "what on earth are the sacramento kings doing?" such questions have intensified this summer, as the kings have continued to make moves across the head-scratching spectrum (when considering those moves in a vacuum). that said, successfully executing this trade would answer a lot of those questions. it would clear up the decision to draft a SG in consecutive drafts. it would also further clarify the decision to let isaiah thomas walk in free agency...

it's certainly a swing-for-the-fences kind of move, and it's not without considerable risk; the kings would have a legitimate "big three" of demarcus cousins, rudy gay, and rajon rondo, but gay and rondo will be free agents next summer. and there is no guarantee that both or either decide to re-up in sacramento, even if the wins come. so it's basically an eight-seed-or-bust kind of gamble. either way, i like the hubris on display should this long-rumored trade find life in reality. i think it's necessary, particularly since the roster as-constructed doesn't really have anything better than 10-seed potential...

I'm starting to wonder if SVG was agreeable to a Josh Smith for Terry/Landry type deal and PDA was the one pumping the brakes because that deal was dependent on getting Rondo.

Who knows? But if there's any legitimacy to this rumor (and if Boston has no plans to resign Rondo then I could certainly see it) then having Smith in the fold would be a big enticement to having Rondo sign longterm in Sacramento.

I'm starting to wonder if SVG was agreeable to a Josh Smith for Terry/Landry type deal and PDA was the one pumping the brakes because that deal was dependent on getting Rondo.

Who knows? But if there's any legitimacy to this rumor (and if Boston has no plans to resign Rondo then I could certainly see it) then having Smith in the fold would be a big enticement to having Rondo sign longterm in Sacramento.
OMG my if this could happen plus Landry/JTerry for Josh?

Cuz,JT
JoshSmith,Evans,Moreland
Gay,Casspi
Nik, Twill maybe
Rondo,Collison.Ray

Could be awesome!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This could always happen, could have always happened at any point in the last year. But the problem here is as always sources. Dead of summer, dude running a "blogtable radio show", maybe podcast...

Ainge really should just quit being a turd though and do it. Everyone has expected him to do it forever. Everyone has wanted him to do it forever. Would really be a lot less trouble if he'd quit acting like a contrarian teenager and just do it already.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

OMG my if this could happen plus Landry/JTerry for Josh?

Cuz,JT
JoshSmith,Evans,Moreland
Gay,Casspi
Nik, Twill maybe
Rondo,Collison.Ray

Could be awesome!!!
That floor spacing is beyond terrible but would take it any day of the week over the crap we got now.

More then McLemore/Derrick Williams/picks will be sent for Rajon Rondo, but those are the pieces involved in the trade so far, per source
The picks part scares me. The Kings could be sacrificing their future for a guy that might not stay. I'm also wondering how they can possibly pay DMC/Gay/Rondo all max. That's like big three money there. Nothing left for anyone else, and that core-three is enough to maybe get you 5th seed at best.

The picks part scares me. The Kings could be sacrificing their future for a guy that might not stay. I'm also wondering how they can possibly pay DMC/Gay/Rondo all max. That's like big three money there. Nothing left for anyone else, and that core-three is enough to maybe get you 5th seed at best.
This. Giving up your future for a guy who we don't know how he will play post injury and we don't know if he will stay. There is a difference between taking a calculated risk and gambling.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We are aren't sacrificing much of anything with value. In fact our inability to do so is what makes this deal less likely. We can't give up any first round picks for half a decade because of the old Hickson trade. So any "picks" would have to be second rounders.

We are aren't sacrificing much of anything with value. In fact our inability to do so is what makes this deal less likely. We can't give up any first round picks for half a decade because of the old Hickson trade. So any "picks" would have to be second rounders.
Boston has a ton of future 1st round picks that they could send back to the Kings. Then the Kings could send Boston a future first of their own. High 20's for a possible lotto/teen's pick.

Boston has a ton of future 1st round picks that they could send back to the Kings. Then the Kings could send Boston a future first of their own. High 20's for a possible lotto/teen's pick.
We don't have enough assets to make the Boston give us their picks. Keep in mind Boston has done a TERRIFIC job at collecting first round draft picks. We're going to get Rondo and give them Maclemore/DWill and they're going to send US picks? Unlikely. A Boston pick is far more valuable than a Sacramento pick assuming Rondo comes our way.

I suppose what I'm just wondering is where all this cash is going to come from. With Landry on the books think of the salaries we're going to be dishing out if we're to keep Rondo and Gay. You're looking at those three making as much if not more than LeBron/Wade/Bosh. Our three wouldn't be anywhere near that level. Then you think about how much Miami struggled to bring in actual role-players, and only were able to do so because guys were willing to play for cheap for a ring (Allen, Rashard, Birdman, Battier, etc.) That would not be the same case here.

I just can't see this working UNLESS this means Gay will be gone by the end of next season, which I would be ok with.

Just to add some balance before everybody gets excited:

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 1h
.@LakersTakeover: ---> Text messages from both sides of this adamantly denied a Rondo to Kings deal was on the table or under consideration.
On first glance it appears that this Kyler guy would be more reliable than Spencer, who I've never heard of. His twitter account looks like he may just be trying to get new followers. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I'm very skeptical of taking his report seriously. It's an easy rumour to put out there as it's been talked about for months.

It's a risk with Rondo coming back from ACL injury. But you have to consider that if Rondo was never injured and was just his All-star self, there's no way Boston would trade him. or at least ask for the moon for him in any trade.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Just to add some balance before everybody gets excited:

On first glance it appears that this Kyler guy would be more reliable than Spencer, who I've never heard of. His twitter account looks like he may just be trying to get new followers. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I'm very skeptical of taking his report seriously. It's an easy rumour to put out there as it's been talked about for months.
Kyler doesn't play the speculation game....he is fairly well connected and I'd trust him more than the other guy. Doesn't mean there hasn't been talks cause all the moves could be interpreted as signs of a bigger deal, but I tend to doubt it.

We don't have enough assets to make the Boston give us their picks. Keep in mind Boston has done a TERRIFIC job at collecting first round draft picks. We're going to get Rondo and give them Maclemore/DWill and they're going to send US picks? Unlikely. A Boston pick is far more valuable than a Sacramento pick assuming Rondo comes our way.

I suppose what I'm just wondering is where all this cash is going to come from. With Landry on the books think of the salaries we're going to be dishing out if we're to keep Rondo and Gay. You're looking at those three making as much if not more than LeBron/Wade/Bosh. Our three wouldn't be anywhere near that level. Then you think about how much Miami struggled to bring in actual role-players, and only were able to do so because guys were willing to play for cheap for a ring (Allen, Rashard, Birdman, Battier, etc.) That would not be the same case here.

I just can't see this working UNLESS this means Gay will be gone by the end of next season, which I would be ok with.
Who said we would be getting a Boston pick back? They have plenty of other team's picks.