Boogie & Rudy's Excellent Adventure

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Spain will beat us easily. For some reason we will trout out that dumbass lineup curry/irving/harden and Rubio and Calderon will set career highs in assists. Faired won't dominate and actually front line like he has and Davis will be eaten alive by marc gosal.
I'm going to bookmark this post. I think you're about a wrong as you can be.

In case you've forgotten, one of the main reasons Cousins made the team was to match up against Spain. Based on what I've seen thus far, Cousins and Davis could make life difficult for the Gasol brothers.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't even realize there was a difference in the initialisms.

FIBA = International Basketball Federation (Fédération Internationale de Basket-ball)

FIFA = International Federation of Association Football (Fédération Internationale de Football Association)
Oh, thanks for the correction. I never noticed either. Ooops. :oops: :p

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Box:

http://www.fiba.com/ls/#6241&BKM400C06

Cousins was maybe the first big who started to get used properly late in the first half when guys finally started making the extra little dumpdown pass to him, but he really didn't play a good game defensively and the U.S. relied almost exclusively on Davis/Faried (with one annoying 3min Plumlee appearance) until we turned it into a blowout and Cousins got back in. Rudy was largely ineffective on ether end.

I feel like Cousins keeps getting screwed on the box score. Only 2 rebounds today? doesn't sound right. And i noticed they didn't credit him for a single assist yesterday

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I feel like Cousins keeps getting screwed on the box score. Only 2 rebounds today? doesn't sound right. And i noticed they didn't credit him for a single assist yesterday
He was getting beat on the boards in the first half, but he still was credited with 2, and I'm almost certain he got one in the garbagetime later.

K

KingMilz

With Kyrie & Harden both playing big mins Defense is going to continue to be a issue.
You left out Curry and Faried (who against good big's will get torched), team USA should start Klay Thompson and bring one of Kyrie/Curry off the bench.

It needs to be a lay up, lay in or a dunk without the bounce either otherwise it is not an assist.

Thats why a lot of european PG prospects have low assist numbers in comparison to the NBA. Rubi averaged something like 3-4 assists in europe and now he is around 9 per game in the NBA.

It needs to be a lay up, lay in or a dunk without the bounce either otherwise it is not an assist.

Thats why a lot of european PG prospects have low assist numbers in comparison to the NBA. Rubi averaged something like 3-4 assists in europe and now he is around 9 per game in the NBA.
It's not correct. While generally NBA statistics is ussually more generous in crediting players with assists than in most Euro or FIBA tournaments it's certainly not given for lay up, lay in or dunk only. Passing ball for catch-and-shoot jumpshot is counted as assist in any tournament I've seen.
Actually in some competitions players are even credited wih assists when there was shooting foul, and player scored FTs.

It's not correct. While generally NBA statistics is ussually more generous in crediting players with assists than in most Euro or FIBA tournaments it's certainly not given for lay up, lay in or dunk only. Passing ball for catch-and-shoot jumpshot is counted as assist in any tournament I've seen.
Actually in some competitions players are even credited wih assists when there was shooting foul, and player scored FTs.
I have been following Europen Basketball for longer than the NBA. I watch two euroleague games per week, adriatic league games, plus any serbian league/cup (about to watch Serbia vs Iran) and they certainly are a lot more stingy with assists. Jumpshots and single dribbles/escape dribbles are definitely not counted as an assist and haven't been for the last 25 odd years I have been following european basketball.

I have been following Europen Basketball for longer than the NBA. I watch two euroleague games per week, adriatic league games, plus any serbian league/cup (about to watch Serbia vs Iran) and they certainly are a lot more stingy with assists. Jumpshots and single dribbles/escape dribbles are definitely not counted as an assist and haven't been for the last 25 odd years I have been following european bask
etball.
As Maccabi fan I've also seen many games in last 20+ years...

And here's probably one of most remarkable moments of the last year Euroleague. Semifinals, 67-63 for CSKA, ~20 sec. to the end of the game, Tyrese Rice kicks back to David Blu for catch and shoot. (Blu connects, than Blu steals the ball in the last CSKA attack, Rice got it, runs all the way and scores lay-up for 68-67 win).

As You can see the pass for 3p by Rice is listed as assist on Euroleague official site.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=251&seasoncode=E2013#!playbyplay

40 Three Pointer 67 - 66 Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv BLU, DAVID
40 Assist 67 - 66 Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv RICE, TYRESE

Last edited:
Is anyone kind of put off by all the recognition that Anthony Davis is getting? He is a great player and the sky is the limit for him, but I feel like Cousins could do the same, he just doesn't get the playing time or touches that Davis does. Cousins has dominated every single game against the Pelicans last season, and yet no one speaks of that (not necessarily during the FIBA tournament, but in the NBA). Davis is hailed as the next superstar at least 2-3 times a game, and Cousins is not mentioned anywhere (even though he is only 2 years older and has better offensive stats, while not being a complete liability on defense). I wish Cousins would get his due as well.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If you don't think that Cousins is getting love from the broadcasters, you're just looking for reasons to have beef. Cousins has been getting more love than any player on Team USA who's not a starter and, frankly, more than two of the starters. Please don't try and equate "not getting praised as much as Anthony Davis" with "not getting his due."

If you don't think that Cousins is getting love from the broadcasters, you're just looking for reasons to have beef. Cousins has been getting more love than any player on Team USA who's not a starter and, frankly, more than two of the starters. Please don't try and equate "not getting praised as much as Anthony Davis" with "not getting his due."
I never said that Cousins is not getting any love from the broadcasters. He has received more praise in the past few weeks than the previous seasons combined. I am well aware of that thanks. My main point, and only point that I was trying to make, is that everyone views Davis as an up and coming superstar. When I said "not getting his due," I was referring to that. Why is Cousins not looked at as an up and coming superstar? I don't have "beef" with anyone nor am I looking to stir up a hornets nest. When I referenced the stats, I was merely trying to say it can't be statistical, because Cousins is right there with Davis on many criteria. Perhaps now with the national exposure, the views will change more.

I get what you're saying Sac.Kings. I see and hear things about how AD may be a top 5 player next year, best in the league when KD and LBJ are done, etc, blah blah. I don't get it

I get what you're saying Sac.Kings. I see and hear things about how AD may be a top 5 player next year, best in the league when KD and LBJ are done, etc, blah blah. I don't get it
That's all fine and well, he has the talent to be one of the best in the league, I don't disagree with that. But my only gripe is that we have a big man of our own that is also statistically there with Davis, yet gets nowhere near the recognition of some of his fellow stars. I get the reputation part, I get the losing part as well, but Davis isn't a winner either in this league, and you can argue he had a better supporting cast than Cousins (especially pre Rudy Gay trade). Just seems a little unfair, and that's all I was getting at.

That's all fine and well, he has the talent to be one of the best in the league, I don't disagree with that. But my only gripe is that we have a big man of our own that is also statistically there with Davis, yet gets nowhere near the recognition of some of his fellow stars. I get the reputation part, I get the losing part as well, but Davis isn't a winner either in this league, and you can argue he had a better supporting cast than Cousins (especially pre Rudy Gay trade). Just seems a little unfair, and that's all I was getting at.
Eh, it's just part of the hype of being the #1 overall pick and living up to his draft billing. If Cousins was a former #1 overall pick and putting up the numbers he is now, they'd be talking him up just as much.

You guys have Cuz blinders, AD is the best big in the league right now, and he's oy getting better
No he's not. He can't dominate defenders 1 on 1 the way Cuz can, or a lot of other bigs like Al Jefferson for that matter. And he gets eaten alive by most big man in the paint on defense because he is so weak and skinny right now. Unless he blocks their shot, because he is quite good at that.

Harden is HORRIBlE on defense, and his flopping, selfish, offense is a disgrace
He's mega IT. Houston will not win anything with him unless he changes, but he seems to be getting even better at being a ball hog scorer. He's one of the very best at it and he'll always get paid handsomely to do it. But him and Howard will never win a thing. They'll be lucky to win a playoff series at any point.

Now, as the third scorer off the bench option in okC, well, if they'd kept him okc would probably be looking toward a 3 peat at this point. But alas...

Superstar Defense, Mr. Harden

He does this 3-4 times every game he plays. Just falls asleep out there. It's shameful cause he's arguably the best talent on team USA not named boogie or Davis. It's not an ability issue. He just doesn't want it. I mean, this is a close game deep in the third quarter. What the heck is he doing?

Irving was almost as bad on that play to be fair.