Artest to Denver For Linas Kleiza and Eduardo Najera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artest can play SG. Thats where he would most likely play if he is traded to Denver.
He's not a natural 2, sure he can play there if a team is desperate enough for his defense (like Denver), I doubt he's the kind of sg they're looking for (probably someone who can shoot and take the load off Paul). Regardless there is nothing to suggest they'd be willing to trade for a headcase like Artest. His character problems extremely affect his trade value and limit the number of teams willing to deal for him, this is undeniable.

VF, you hear anything? My friend that works at Arco said something was going to go down late Monday to early Tuesday. He was loading up on some coffee before he left when he heard a couple suits talking. All the major players are in New Orleans for the weekend he said, so I am not sure if these guys are anything special or just speculating. He didn't know the two guys, but it's a big office. It was probably nothing because he walked in on them mid conversation so he probably missed a big chunk of it... Maybe they're buying a big boat, or had a huge load of laundry to pick up on mon-tues.. Who knows. I will bug the hell out of him tomorrow. No work for me
what happened to this???

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Look at the calendar. It's Friday evening and the All-Star festivities are taking place. I seriously doubt if ANYONE is thinking trades at this moment.

And I have nothing of interest to share at this point in time.

Look at the calendar. It's Friday evening and the All-Star festivities are taking place. I seriously doubt if ANYONE is thinking trades at this moment.

And I have nothing of interest to share at this point in time.

VF, I had remembered you had a source about the time of the Musselman hiring. I was wondering if you had heard anything from that source re: a trade that might happen early next week (Late Mon/early Tues).

My buddy called me last night when he got home from work and was bouncing off the walls saying he walked in on a couple of guys talking about something big happening early next week while he was getting coffee. He had walked in mid conversation, but he knows it had to do with the Kings. Unless the guys were talking about their huge load of laundry ;).

I talked to him again this morning, but there wasn't that "quiet before the storm" feeling and was pretty much business as usual. No buzz at all in the office, but it could have something do do with all the big wigs in New Orleans.

All we can do now is watch for something to happen.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF, I had remembered you had a source about the time of the Musselman hiring. I was wondering if you had heard anything from that source re: a trade that might happen early next week (Late Mon/early Tues).

My buddy called me last night when he got home from work and was bouncing off the walls saying he walked in on a couple of guys talking about something big happening early next week while he was getting coffee. He had walked in mid conversation, but he knows it had to do with the Kings. Unless the guys were talking about their huge load of laundry ;).

I talked to him again this morning, but there wasn't that "quiet before the storm" feeling and was pretty much business as usual. No buzz at all in the office, but it could have something do do with all the big wigs in New Orleans.

All we can do now is watch for something to happen.
I know, Gary... I was referring to the post immediately prior to mine that just seemed a little pushy. I thought he was trying to get me to post something - and there's just nothing to report at the moment.

I think Artest to the Suns makes the most sense. They are throwing it all in for this season and Artest would round them out brilliantly. Because they are only thinking about this year, they give up a pick.

This was what I saw on another site.

Ron Artest and a 2008 second round pick to Phoenix for a 2008 1st round pick (via Atlanta non-protected) and their $8.1 M trade exception

Last edited:
I think Artest to the Suns makes the most sense. They are throwing it all in for this season and Artest would round them out brilliantly. Because they are only thinking about this year, they give up a pick.

This was what I saw on another site.
I really doubt Phoenix would be willing to take on the extra salary. $7 million becomes $14 million when they're paying the luxury tax. It makes some sense as a one year go-all-out-for-the-championship-now kind of thing, but they've been giving away first round picks for practically nothing simply because they don't want to pay the salaries. Even with the Shaq trade they basically came out even financially.

I also still think the ideal scenario would be Artest/KT for Nene/Najera, but if Phoenix really were willing to do this I think it would have to be the 2nd best option I've seen.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I LIKE the Artest to Phoenix idea, as it doesn't bring us any more players and it certainly would stir things up in the West even more.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And your point? As far as I know, pretty much none of the trades posted in here have actually happened. It doesn't stop some from being more attractive than others. It doesn't cost any more to dream in technicolor, you know.

;)

I would also really like the Phoenix trade..but I really want Mr. Kleiza to join us in Sacramento, I think he could be a VERY solid player for us for many years.

We don't need another SF IMO :/
We don't, yet rumor has it that Geoff wants the guy really bad. Maybe that means he hopes to unload Salmons and/or Garcia, who knows? In any case, Kleiza is young and may yet develop into a better SF than anyone on our post-Artest roster. So at least it could fit in with a plan for a better team.

And your point? As far as I know, pretty much none of the trades posted in here have actually happened. It doesn't stop some from being more attractive than others. It doesn't cost any more to dream in technicolor, you know.

;)

*Ahem* :cool:

1/18/2008
Gary said:
While Horford is untouchable, Williams (Shlden) isn't. I saw a lot of him at Duke, and some of him late last year. The kid can rebound, and block shots. He doesn't have much in the way of offense, but does play hard when given the chance.
1/2/2008
Gary said:
How about a 3way trade with Atlanta. We trade Bibby to Hawks for Shelden Williams (I like this guy even tough ATL wont play him) and a 2008 1st round pick (plus a junk player to average out the salaries).
HAH!!! I am just messing around. I think it was more that I had seen a lot of him in college and wanted him to become a King. But I said the same about Justin Williams and now he is out of work :(

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
^^ At this point it's not a bad package. Trade him for what you can, so we can forget the idea of resigning Artest.

And by the end it would mean you have shed Mike Bibby and Ron Artets's contracts and the chance they either leave us for nothing or reup and take up $20 mil of cap room next season for:

4 expiring deals (Najera, Lue, Johnson, Wright)
2 kids with some potential (Linas Kleiza, Shelden Williams)
a first round pick
a second round pick

And is that great value for those two? No, although depends on how the kdis develop. But it is classic rebuilding team value. Draft picks, kids, clear capspace.

And by the end it would mean you have shed Mike Bibby and Ron Artets's contracts and the chance they either leave us for nothing or reup and take up $20 mil of cap room next season for:

4 expiring deals (Najera, Lue, Johnson, Wright)
2 kids with some potential (Linas Kleiza, Shelden Williams)
a first round pick
a second round pick

And is that great value for those two? No, although depends on how the kdis develop. But it is classic rebuilding team value. Draft picks, kids, clear capspace.
As far as I'm concerned, that is good value. Like you said, young guys, picks and expirings are exactly what this team needs. If that deal is on the table, their is no way we should be turning it down. It would be ridiculous. Trading Ron and Mike for two kids with upside, two picks and expirings is great value considering the circumstances (Mike - big contract, going downhill. Ron - Half year rental and the obvious mental lapses).

Geoff will look like a genius if this goes down. Although we'll likely have to wait at leat 4 years for us to see the effects. Having 4 picks in this draft would be crazily good.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
As far as I'm concerned, that is good value. Like you said, young guys, picks and expirings are exactly what this team needs. If that deal is on the table, their is no way we should be turning it down. It would be ridiculous. Trading Ron and Mike for two kids with upside, two picks and expirings is great value considering the circumstances (Mike - big contract, going downhill. Ron - Half year rental and the obvious mental lapses).

Geoff will look like a genius if this goes down. Although we'll likely have to wait at leat 4 years for us to see the effects. Having 4 picks in this draft would be crazily good.
Although I don't follow college players much at all, in general I have to agree. Nothing to speed up the rebuild like extra picks. Get rid of some of the larger contracts and the expirings and get some talented young guys in the mix. Or use some of the picks to trade for young talented players. Whatever works.

Status
Not open for further replies.