Artest to Denver For Linas Kleiza and Eduardo Najera

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made an account on here just to inform you guys. Linas Kleiza is an absolute STUD. I would be more than satisfied for him and an expiring. He can put up MONSTER numbers, the problem currently being that he plays behind a whole bunch of the games best. And i don't think his position lends inself to any problems. He could start right away at the Sf and be better than anyone on the bench. However, he is 6'8 240 and played a lot of PF in college and in denver when kenyon martin went down. He's also got the strength and the tenacity to play downlow. He has a post game, can throw down with the best of them, can shoot mid range and long jumpers ( as proven by droping 41 on utah less than a month ago) AND can take you off the dribble. The best part being he is 23 YEARS OLD and has a incredibly bright future, plus he's cheap. I emplore everyone to look into the trade a little bit more, as i did, and i think you'll start to realize that Kleiza would be an awesome aquisition, especially toward building a future contender.

Paul.
He would not start here with Artest gone. He would be behind both Salmons and Garcia. Too small and unathletic to play PF. No thanks.

I hate to continue to draw allusion to one night. But the last time Kleiza started at PF, he droped 41...on the jazz. It may not be his position of choice, or one in which he would play best at, but saying that he is too unathletic to play it.. that made me laugh. Do some research, then come back to me and tell me he can't play.

He would not start here with Artest gone. He would be behind both Salmons and Garcia. Too small and unathletic to play PF. No thanks.

Garcia is not better than Kleiza. Nor is he a better prospect. I know alot about Kleiza, and apart from being more physical, a better shooter and rebounder, he is younger. Yes please.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Garcia is not better than Kleiza. Nor is he a better prospect. I know alot about Kleiza, and apart from being more physical, a better shooter and rebounder, he is younger. Yes please.
If you read the posts around here, you'd find that Kleiza is not worth a washed-up player with a string of 25 DNPs and a very late first round pick to play backup SF on a team in the hunt for the Eastern Conference title. Even to suggest such a thing will earn you a LOL and a derisive comment about GMs hanging up the phone. Frankly, I wouldn't have thought that myself, but I'm willing to learn a thing or two from the GMs-in-training around here.

Not a Bad Idea

I think this is a relatively good deal - Kleiza is a good player in the wrong system. He would be a really good backup SF to salmons and maybe even backing Mikki up.

I hate to continue to draw allusion to one night. But the last time Kleiza started at PF, he droped 41...on the jazz. It may not be his position of choice, or one in which he would play best at, but saying that he is too unathletic to play it.. that made me laugh. Do some research, then come back to me and tell me he can't play.
I saw the 41, I saw his game winner. I have seen him play a number of times. Lets not forget he is 6'8, and is not known for his athleticism rather he is known for his shot. And while we are talking about research, can you tell me where you possibly would conjure up the notion that he would start over Salmons...

Agree with this.. The knock on him is that he is unathletic, cannot rebound (at PF level), and is a bit slow in transition.. Basically in Sac he woudl play SF, and we have a couple guys waiting int he wings that can play "wing" better than Kleiza.

We certainly don't need Kleiza and it's possible he get stuck behind more traditional SFs or PFs in Sacramento.

But the guy is a good player. No denying that. Whether his odd game (a PF on defense, a SF on offense) fit our style, I'm not sure; but he's worth a look imo. He's more athletic than he's been given credit for (good leaper, good foot speed, but slow lateral quickness) and he fests on fastbreak points. And if he doesn't pan out, no big deal; he's only paid a fraction of KT's salary.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Sunday (2/10) tidbit from Denver is Artest for Najera and Kleiza (again). Fans seem for it and Melo is in favor of RonRon now that Nene is out indefinitely recovering from his cancer. We all know Najera is a genuine enforcer and decent rebounder who can score a bit as well. Kleiza has increased his minutes to 25.7/gm while scoring 12.2 and getting 4.5 rebs. His Lithuanian BB heritage is a plus. Has good NBA body 6-8/245, not unlike RonRon plus he is only 22 yr. Najera is an expiring. I'd like that move.

Oh yeah, the salaries work as well.

Last edited:
I'm suprised Denver is going after Artest, you would think Bibby would help them more. Being from Missouri, I watched Kleiza at Mizzou and liked his game. I think he has potential at the 4 with a big guy next to him.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Throw in JR Smith and Im for it.

Ron Artest/Quincy Douby

For...

Linas Klieza/JR Smith/Eduardo Najera

Bibby/Beno/Garcia
Martin/Smith/Garcia
Salmons/Klieza/Garcia
Moore/Najera/Williams
Miller/Hawes/Williams

*Kings release Dahntay Jones to possibly sign a 3rd legit PG.

I've always been enamored by JR...But he has been a bit of a pain in his career...Maybe he needs a change of scenery? A different coach? That's also a pretty dynamic 1/2 punch from the 2-guard position...Smith can light it up! And he's only 22! Youth and talent and potential are all good things at this point.

Denver does it because they get Artest for pieces that aren't huge to their puzzle. Also, maybe Denver thinks Douby can learn some tricks of the trade from fellow midget 2-guard Allen Iverson?

No Smith, no deal for me.

Last edited:
^^^^ no way!!! ^^^^

Why get another SF? I thought the trades are supposed to be made to make us better or fill a need? Keliza does not fill any need. He isn't a PF (Although he plays PF some times, he not a prototypical PF). So we trade a SF, for a SF, and Salmons continues to rot on the bench.

I think that might be a sticking point with why this trade hasn't been completed yet... I bet the Nuggets are offering Keliza, and Eduardo, and the Kings are wanting Nene, and Kleiza or something..

Probably end up with Nene, and Najera. I am crossing my fingers!

EDIT: OK, I can see SLAB being correct IF something different was offered. Lets say that We traded Artest, and Garcia for Kleiza and Nene... This would make total sense. We fill a need at PF, move a couple SFs and clear space for Salmons to start.. Our Bench all of a sudden is a pretty nice bench.. Moore, Kleiza, Beno, Hawes, and Douby being the main five players off the bench. Kleiza can fill in at SF/PF, Moore at PF/C, Beno at SG/PG, Hawes at PF/C, and Douby at PG/SG.

Last edited:
K

king07

Rick Bucher on Artest trade to DEN

During the cavs/nuggets game, Bucher was reporting that both teams are currently talking about a trade for Ron Artest. He also said that Kings are interested in Kleiza who denver doesn't want to let go.

I'm watching the Denver Vs Cleveland game and they just brought on Ric Bucher and he said that Denver is agressively going after Artest, but that the Kings are requesting Kleiza in the trade, and Denver so far is unwilling to include Kleiza. I know this is probably old news, but I hadn't heard that Denver is refussing to give us Kleiza.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's Ric Bucher so you have to wonder if he's trying to make something out of nothing. Petrie is so tight-lipped about this kind of stuff that it seems unlikely Bucher has heard anything. Remember Ric Bucher = "I know for a fact Chris Webber won't re-sign with the Kings. He told me personally he's going to sign with Detroit."

;)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I'm watching the Denver Vs Cleveland game and they just brought on Ric Bucher and he said that Denver is agressively going after Artest, but that the Kings are requesting Kleiza in the trade, and Denver so far is unwilling to include Kleiza. I know this is probably old news, but I hadn't heard that Denver is refussing to give us Kleiza.
Yeah, I saw that too. Sounds like they really want to make a move after the moves the Lakers and Suns made....

Hope it causes them to jump on Artest. ;)

Ridiculous offer, what's the point of us getting rid of KT if we're taking back equal or longer contracts? Just take Denver's 1st and expiring and leave the Artest era in the dark corner of our past forever.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A first-round pick and an expiring? At this point, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. But I'm by no means objective in this situation...

He's also injury plagued, very often out of shape, and can't D it up. His contract isn't even close to being worth the trouble. No thanks!
What do you mean he can't D it up? He's not much of a weakside shotblocker, but he's one of the better post defenders in the league because he's both strong and quick, which makes him extremely versatile on post D. In his career he averages about 2 blocks per 40 minutes, which is better than anyone we have right now.

And yeah, he's been injury plagued, but as has previously been noted, they've been of the freakish variety -- a torn ACL from a bad fall, a bruised leg, a messed up hand, cancer... it's not like he's had microfracture surgery.

I agree the weight gain is somewhat troublesome, but it happens with some players.

Sometimes you have to take risks in trades, and a risk on an athletic 25 year old power forward is one I can get behind.

And yeah, he's been injury plagued, but as has previously been noted, they've been of the freakish variety -- a torn ACL from a bad fall, a bruised leg, a messed up hand, cancer... it's not like he's had microfracture surgery.
Do you know what the restrictions are for trading an "injured" player? Can the receiving team waive the physical?

Do you know what the restrictions are for trading an "injured" player? Can the receiving team waive the physical?
As far as I know, they can. I remember when Terrell Brandon was traded to Atlanta from Milwaukee I think. He hadn't played a game for about a year before and after that because of injury

The latest from Amick:

As for Denver, it's far from certain that the Kings want Nene, for reasons varying from his health concerns (testicular cancer) to his contract ($8.84 million this season and a deal that goes through 2011 with a player option for the 2011-12 campaign). At the same time, getting Eduardo Najera's expiring deal doesn't mean all that much considering Artest has said he'll opt out this summer and his money would come off the books anyway. Getting third-year small forward Linas Kleiza and draft picks - which the Kings are seeking in all talks - are the key here.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/010566.html

If that's correct it sounds like they're thinking more like vlade4gm

Status
Not open for further replies.