Artest to Denver For Linas Kleiza and Eduardo Najera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Included in all this is the need to get Salmons into the starting lineup before he rots to death on the bench behind Artest. That is why I (an Artest fan) would be happy with Najera and a first rounder for Artest. Just to clarify the pecking order and get Salmons back on the floor.

I am not and have never been down on Ron, but the time has come.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
A first-round pick and an expiring? At this point, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. But I'm by no means objective in this situation...
It's not a great trade, but unless Petrie truly wants to resign Artest, it's net value. We're basically done for the season - very unlikely to move either up or down in the standings at this point - so Artest does nothing for us. Trading an "expiring" for an expiring plus a pick is at least getting something back.

Assuming this offer is on the table, Petrie is probably burning up the phone lines trying to get a sweeter deal, but I'd think when push comes to shove he'd have to take it at the deadline if he couldn't get more. Bottom line, if I'm in charge and this deal is on the table, Artest will be dealt, the only questions being how soon before the deadline, to whom, and for what?

The latest from Amick:

As for Denver, it's far from certain that the Kings want Nene, for reasons varying from his health concerns (testicular cancer) to his contract ($8.84 million this season and a deal that goes through 2011 with a player option for the 2011-12 campaign). At the same time, getting Eduardo Najera's expiring deal doesn't mean all that much considering Artest has said he'll opt out this summer and his money would come off the books anyway. Getting third-year small forward Linas Kleiza and draft picks - which the Kings are seeking in all talks - are the key here.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/010566.html

If that's correct it sounds like they're thinking more like vlade4gm
I really like the Houston deal. That makes so much sense for both teams. Don't know if they're ready to trade Scola though

What do you mean he can't D it up? He's not much of a weakside shotblocker, but he's one of the better post defenders in the league because he's both strong and quick, which makes him extremely versatile on post D. In his career he averages about 2 blocks per 40 minutes, which is better than anyone we have right now.

And yeah, he's been injury plagued, but as has previously been noted, they've been of the freakish variety -- a torn ACL from a bad fall, a bruised leg, a messed up hand, cancer... it's not like he's had microfracture surgery.

I agree the weight gain is somewhat troublesome, but it happens with some players.

Sometimes you have to take risks in trades, and a risk on an athletic 25 year old power forward is one I can get behind.
The reward isn't enough to justify the risk, sorry.

I, too, like the Houston deal. But I could see the Maloofs vetoing it because they wouldn't want Rick to succeed...
Just ran the Artest for Brooks/Scola/Francis deal through ESPN's new trade machine. According to its newfangled projections, the trade would increase Houston's winning percentage by 14% to make them a 62-win team... Even crazier, it decreases the Kings's percentage by 24% to make them an 18-win team! (not possible, I know).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
JEven crazier, it decreases the Kings's percentage by 24% to make them an 18-win team! (not possible, I know).
Hrm, so we could get rid of Artest and vault to the top of the draft sweepstakes? I kinda like that idea. Win the games when they happen; trade Artest away at the deadline and have those games turn into losses for lottery position.

:p

Houston is even more desparate for big bodies than we are. There's no way they're trading Scola, the only decent PF in their entire roster, for Artest. It just ain't gonna happen.

If Petrie takes Nene, he should be fired; unless Denver also takes KT from us, then it's a wash.

A young player and/or pick + expiring makes the most sense. But it's wishful thinking that any team would give up that much for a short-term rental.

So my conclusion is that Artest is not going anywhere. But I hope GP proves me wrong.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I like Ron Artest, but I want him traded......NOW!! There is no doubt in my mind that Ron is walking at the end of this year. He WILL opt out and the Kings will not pay him what he (or his agent) thinks he is worth. Therefore, we will get nothing.

So, I say trade him for a pick and a snickers bar. If worse comes to worse, just take the snickers. :eek:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Get enough or get things back that actually make us worse in the long run. I'm just afraid that Artest will change his mind and NOT exercise his player option...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Get enough or get things back that actually make us worse in the long run. I'm just afraid that Artest will change his mind and NOT exercise his player option...
The other side of that coin is that at that point he no longer has an option to use....

He might be worth more in trade if his contract situation is certain. Of course that means we might have him one more year, but maybe a trade in the offseason can be worked out.

Chris Sheridan from ESPN Insider says the Kings are proposing a deal something along the lines of Nene and Kleiza (and presumably Najera for salaries) for Artest and KT. So far Nuggets have been reluctant and are only offering Najera and a 1st for Artest.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insi...nist=sheridan_chris&page=TradeDeadline-080212
Personally, I think its an extremly "ballsy" move to take on Nene. He has promised a hell of a lot and delivered very little. He has been oft injured and unfortunatly he is now fighting a pretty serious illness. We all hope he can fully recover from that but there are no guarantees.

All those issues plus the contract that seems to go on forever. If Nene didn't have the illness could hanging over his head I would be after him at 100mph but there is a lot of uncertainty here. It could prove to be a highly successful move for us but it could equally backfire on us big time!

A young player and/or pick + expiring makes the most sense. But it's wishful thinking that any team would give up that much for a short-term rental.
Not at all, Denver is supposed to be willing to send us Najera (expiring) and a first round pick, which sounds both fair, and helpful to both teams. The only problem is that Najera's not quite at Artest's pay level, and filler is needed. So then the sticking point is whether the filler is Kleiza or not. Kleiza is a promising player, and I wouldn't mind having him, but we already have a nightmarish logjam at SF/SG anyway, so... as far as I'm concerned, any of Denver's expiring bench scrubs will do. A #20 draft pick isn't much, but a couple of months of Artest is worth virtually nothing to us, and we don't get stuck with any garbage.

Not at all, Denver is supposed to be willing to send us Najera (expiring) and a first round pick, which sounds both fair, and helpful to both teams. The only problem is that Najera's not quite at Artest's pay level, and filler is needed. So then the sticking point is whether the filler is Kleiza or not. Kleiza is a promising player, and I wouldn't mind having him, but we already have a nightmarish logjam at SF/SG anyway, so... as far as I'm concerned, any of Denver's expiring bench scrubs will do. A #20 draft pick isn't much, but a couple of months of Artest is worth virtually nothing to us, and we don't get stuck with any garbage.
That cannot be true because Denver is prohibited from trading their 2008 first round pick (since they already traded their 07 picks).

Maybe the Nuggets is offering their 09 pick but I doubt that because Nuggets only have 9 guys under contracts in 09 and over the cap, so they need that draft pick to bring in a youngster to help fill the bench (which happens to be AI's final yr for that championship run).

And it cannot be any pick from 2010 or beyond because AI will be gone and they may be a lottery team by then.

So common sense tells me that Denver cannot possibly have offered a 1st round pick for Artest. However, rumor in Denver is that they are offering Najera and JR Smith.

That cannot be true because Denver is prohibited from trading their 2008 first round pick (since they already traded their 07 picks).

Maybe the Nuggets is offering their 09 pick but I doubt that because Nuggets only have 9 guys under contracts in 09 and over the cap, so they need that draft pick to bring in a youngster to help fill the bench (which happens to be AI's final yr for that championship run).

And it cannot be any pick from 2010 or beyond because AI will be gone and they may be a lottery team by then.

So common sense tells me that Denver cannot possibly have offered a 1st round pick for Artest. However, rumor in Denver is that they are offering Najera and JR Smith.
They can trade their pick now that it is post-2007 draft.

Ok, so now this Ron to Denver deal reportedly is: Ron for Najera(ender) and Denver's 1st Rnd Pick this year. Thoughts? I'd do it in a heartbeat, even IF Denver's pick will be low, we can still get someone that will contribute AND we'd get about $4 million off our cap.

Man i hope that the SUNS can swoop in & offer their $8 million dollar trade exception & the rights to Atlanta's first round pick for Artest.
The SUNS are playing "all in" as it is with the gamble of bringing in Shaq O'neil, & have yet to fill out the roster after trading two for one.
Shawn Marion's perimeter defense hasn't been replaced & they must fill the 13th roster spot soon(as in about 9 days i believe).
Keeping fingers crossed. Even if Artest is only a 4 month rental.

Man i hope that the SUNS can swoop in & offer their $8 million dollar trade exception & the rights to Atlanta's first round pick for Artest.
The SUNS are playing "all in" as it is with the gamble of bringing in Shaq O'neil, & have yet to fill out the roster after trading two for one.
Shawn Marion's perimeter defense hasn't been replaced & they must fill the 13th roster spot soon(as in about 9 days i believe).
I think the chances of such a deal happening are 1/100,000,000,000.

I think the chances of such a deal happening are 1/100,000,000,000.
Ok..... Specifics?
I would agree that it's unlikely( sort of like the chances of the Lakers aquiring Gasol for nothing:rolleyes:) due to the SUNS FO's emphasis on character & also that you'd think that the KINGS could get more in return for Artest.
It dosen't appear that his value is what some in SAC town had thought at this point.

Ok, so now this Ron to Denver deal reportedly is: Ron for Najera(ender) and Denver's 1st Rnd Pick this year. Thoughts? I'd do it in a heartbeat, even IF Denver's pick will be low, we can still get someone that will contribute AND we'd get about $4 million off our cap.
They need to throw in someone like Smith or Kleiza as filler. I'd take either of those in a heartbeat.

I never said a year, and I don't much care what year. A pick in 2012 would do, at this point. At least it's something.

And Vlade4GM was right, it doesn't matter what they did last year. As long as they haven't traded away next year's pick already, they can do whatever they like with this year's, because the Stepien rule only deals with future picks, not past ones.
teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is called the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a future first-round draft pick in consecutive years.

This rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2005-06 season, then teams can trade their 2006 first round pick without regard to whether they had a 2005 pick, since their 2005 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2006 and 2007 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

In addition, teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their first round pick. So teams may trade away their own future picks in consecutive years if they have another team's first round pick in one of those years.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#71

Last edited:
Yeah, I would gladly take a TPE from either Golden State or Phoenix with Wright or the ATL pick packaged before Najera and Denver's pick. But, I guess, there's a reason why those teams have the TPE's--they're trying to cut salary. Here's hoping they'll get caught up in the Western arms race.

hey i could actually see this happening if the suns are willing to put it all on the line this year to win it all. artest could fill that void left at the 3 position by marion.

Yeah, I would gladly take a TPE from either Golden State or Phoenix with Wright or the ATL pick packaged before Najera and Denver's pick. But, I guess, there's a reason why those teams have the TPE's--they're trying to cut salary. Here's hoping they'll get caught up in the Western arms race.

I agree with everything you're saying, I just think it should be made clear that neither GS nor Pho will give up Wright or Atls pick in exchange for Ron. GS giving up Wright is less likely than Pho giving up that pick, but I still find it hard to picture Pho giving up that pick for Ron.

If there's any deal out there involving GS, I think it has to be Ron for Mikael Pietrus and Patrick O'Bryant. That's the max they'd give up for him IMO. Pietrus has demanded a trade and O'Bryant is a young big man that hasn't worked out so far. But nobody thought he'd come in and contribute right away. I'd do that trade instantly. It's better than giving up Ron for nothing. We get an athletic big man with unrealised potential.

I never said a year, and I don't much care what year. A pick in 2012 would do, at this point. At least it's something.

And Vlade4GM was right, it doesn't matter what they did last year. As long as they haven't traded away next year's pick already, they can do whatever they like with this year's, because the Stepien rule only deals with future picks, not past ones.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#71
I stand corrected.

But the point is if Denver has offered us a pick, I have a hard time pictureing GP not taking it. I just don't think any team is going to give us one for Artest.

Status
Not open for further replies.