what was the last movie you watched?

Went to see X-Men: The Last Stand while on vacation. I liked it, but don't think it was terribly good. I'm just a sucker for the comic book movies. Loved Kelsey Grammer as Beast, however.

Also rented Match Point, which was technically a very good film -- acting, directing and writing were all solid -- but I wasn't particularly fond of it. Woody Allen's comedies are very funny, but his dramas tend to be so naked and unapologetic that they turn out creepy and disturbing more than anything else. Basically the same film as Crimes & Misdemeanors (this time set in London rather than New York), which I also thought was profoundly ookie.

Rented The Producers, which was okay. New songs are hilarious, of course, because they were written by Mel Brooks. However, the musical elements just needed to be seen on a stage as they were staged/choreographed much more for theatre than film. And the rest of the film was trying too hard to be the original, which has got to be one of the funniest movies I've seen in my life. That's a lot to live up to if you're going for imitation. Sorry, Matthew, I think you're great but Gene Wilder is just much better at being Gene Wilder than you are.

I'm a sucker for the Pixar flicks, so I can't wait to see Cars.

I'll have to, though, as the idea of sitting in a theatre full of children gives me the hives.

Last Tango in Paris (1972)- Benardo Bertolucci

Ran (1985)- Akira Kurosawa

Amarcord (1974)- Federico Fellini

The 400 Blows (Les Quatre cents coups) (1959)- François Truffaut

KingKong said:

Looks like someone's having their own personal film festival devoted to light, uplifting films.

GoGoGadget said:
Looks like someone's having their own personal film festival devoted to light, uplifting films.
Well it is TDOS, after all.

I'm trying to immerse myself in the world of Film, it's my form of escapism. But I like that, "my own person film festival devoted to light, uplifting films." What can I say, I'm one chronically depressed individual.:D

KingKong said:

I've seen "Ran" - it's a great take on Shakespeare's "King Lear" and highlights how many similarities medievel Japan had with medievel Europe.

PixelPusher said:
I've seen "Ran" - it's a great take on Shakespeare's "King Lear" and highlights how many similarities medievel Japan had with medievel Europe.
It took a long time for Kurosawa to get the funds for this film, but I'm glad got to finally make it in the end. Kurosawa denied that Ran is an adaptation of King Lear, eventhough the parallels are almost certain. It's a visual masterpiece, and the closing shot is one of my favorites of all time.

'Last Tango in Paris' - I remember coming across that on cable TV movie channel once when I was a kid. Definitely a shock to my innocent little eyes.

I watched 'Matchpoint' last weekend. Great film, very suspenseful and good acting.

RoyalDiva said:
'Last Tango in Paris' - I remember coming across that on cable TV movie channel once when I was a kid. Definitely a shock to my innocent little eyes.
One of the greatest performances from Brando, in my very, very humble opinion. Being one of the greatest method actors, and the fact that most of the script was improvised, Brando drew from most of his own life experiences to perform this disjointed, disconnected dialogue that remains to be one of his greatest achievements in cinema, imo. Marlon Brando himself hated the concept of acting and Hollywood, and this performance gives you an incite into why that was the case. Even the greatest contemporary actors like De Niro, Depp and Pacino are always somewhat controlled by either the Director or the Studio. In Last Tango in Paris, Brando is given full control (which is what he always seeked) and he relished in that role. But I agree, it's definately is one of the most controversial films of it's time. I apologize, my writing doesn't do it justice.

RoyalDiva said:
interestingly, in the latest edition of Entertainment Weekly, they ranked this film #9 on their top 25 list of most controversial films along with Kids, Natural Born Killers and Aladdin on the same list.

Watched all but the first few minutes of Speedway (1968, starring Elvis Presley and Nancy Sinatra) on TV last night. Truly cinematic velveeta at it's finest and one of my faves. Nancy's solo musical number -- a song called "Your Groovy Self" -- is a highlight.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"The Producers" with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane. How ironic that it's a movie about making money off a flop... I enjoyed the original but this was just painful.

Munich (2005)- Steven Spielberg

One of Spielberg's best films along with Jaws and Schindler's List, imo. What I loved about this movie is that it never sides with either the Israelis or the Palestinians. Both are victims of war and both are culprits of their own atrocities. In this film, it is clear that the true enemy is war itself, and so the vicious circle continues. The issues tackled in this movie can easily be applied to any crisis today. it is extremely moving and thought- provoking. It has masterful performances from Eric Bana, Geoffery Rush and Daniel Craig. The only area where this film falls short is its length (almost 3 hrs). This film is a must see and easily one of the best of 2005.

Last edited: