Tyreke and Jimmer Watch, 2014-2015 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
These Pels aren't going to be making a serious run in the playoffs if they don't learn to defend and stop relying on jumpshots so much. I have a new nickname for Ryan Anderson - the Chucker Supreme.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Evans saved his best for last: started the game with an abysmal 1-6 in the first quarter, but went a respectable 4-7 the rest of the way, en route to his twelfth double-double of the season, as New Orleans came from behind to beat Toronto for the second time this year, both times without Anthony Davis.

Evans only had twenty-five double-doubles his entire career in Sacramento, and thirteen of them came in his rookie year. That's right, he has as many double-doubles this year as he did in his last three years in Sacramento.

Evans saved his best for last: started the game with an abysmal 1-6 in the first quarter, but went a respectable 4-7 the rest of the way, en route to his twelfth double-double of the season, as New Orleans came from behind to beat Toronto for the second time this year, both times without Anthony Davis.

Evans only had twenty-five double-doubles his entire career in Sacramento, and thirteen of them came in his rookie year. That's right, he has as many double-doubles this year as he did in his last three years in Sacramento.
I didn't think he played very well in this game though, or in their past 5-6 games. He seems to work very well with AD, but still isn't very fluid in running the offense when AD is out. He's still not a natural PG, and you could see the difference when Cole came in and was moving the ball very quickly. With AD/Ryan Anderson out I'd like to see them try posting up Tyreke more, because they need him to score a lot more and more efficiently. Can't be counting on Luke Babbitt and Norris Cole and Ajinca to carry the team scoring wise with Jrue/AD/RA out.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm going to disagree: he was dreadful in the first half, but he was pretty damned good in the second half. He did almost everything right after halftime, aside from an ill-advised step back jumper early in the shot clock down the stretch.

Opposing teams know that, with Davis out, they can really make things difficult by putting the squeeze on their guards, Evans in particular. Evans was guarded by the bigger and stronger James Johnson all game, who is their best defender. And they can afford to do that because Davis was not in the game. You know who's guarding Evans if Davis is playing? Kyle Lowry, that's who. And Lowry might be an All-Star, but Evans would have straight run him over all night. As it was, it only took him a half to figure Johnson out: 9 points, on 4-7 shooting, and 7 assists in the second half, and his penetration was essential to getting many of the open looks that Babbitt and Cole had in the second half.

I'm going to disagree: he was dreadful in the first half, but he was pretty damned good in the second half. He did almost everything right after halftime, aside from an ill-advised step back jumper early in the shot clock down the stretch.

Opposing teams know that, with Davis out, they can really make things difficult by putting the squeeze on their guards, Evans in particular. Evans was guarded by the bigger and stronger James Johnson all game, who is their best defender. And they can afford to do that because Davis was not in the game. You know who's guarding Evans if Davis is playing? Kyle Lowry, that's who. And Lowry might be an All-Star, but Evans would have straight run him over all night. As it was, it only took him a half to figure Johnson out: 9 points, on 4-7 shooting, and 7 assists in the second half, and his penetration was essential to getting many of the open looks that Babbitt and Cole had in the second half.
Fair enough. His second half was much better, but I still feel the overall game including the first half was not good enough for them to win/be competitive on most nights given the current state of their roster. And IMO Tyreke simply has to step up and be THE GUY together with Eric Gordon if they have any hope of making a serious run at the playoffs. I guess part of that is me still hoping Tyreke can reach all-star level (I once thought he would be a superstar) though it seems less and less likely.

On the topic of James Johnson though - yet another example of a GP pickup we had who's become a very solid player on another team. Aaron Brooks, James Johnson, now Whiteside, along with PPat ..

Fair enough. His second half was much better, but I still feel the overall game including the first half was not good enough for them to win/be competitive on most nights given the current state of their roster. And IMO Tyreke simply has to step up and be THE GUY together with Eric Gordon if they have any hope of making a serious run at the playoffs. I guess part of that is me still hoping Tyreke can reach all-star level (I once thought he would be a superstar) though it seems less and less likely.

On the topic of James Johnson though - yet another example of a GP pickup we had who's become a very solid player on another team. Aaron Brooks, James Johnson, now Whiteside, along with PPat ..
Partly the way we've ran our teams the last few years. With the exception of it and casspi who just will their way to performance, can you think of any other role players that have excelled here?

James Johnson is a ****ing ***** and im dam well glad hes no where near this team. He's scum, how short your memories are.

During the relocation saga he rocked up to the locker room wearing a Sonics hat. **** him.

Since us he made stops in ATL was waived and played in the D league, perfore signing with memphis and now toronto. Glad hes out of the country

i think smart took the ball out of his hand and put it in mighty mouse's iirc. could be the reason why we didn't see those double doubles after his rookie year.

Same thing going on tonight. Evans getting some dimes but they're more on fast breaks/ just guys making shots rather than him creating for others. On the scoring side he and Gordon are struggling again, very similar to the game against the Raptors. The Pelicans need him to be a scorer.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Same thing going on tonight. Evans getting some dimes but they're more on fast breaks/ just guys making shots rather than him creating for others.
I didn't really take notice of this the first time around, but it made me chuckle. With respect to the first part, I remember when Evans not passing in transition was considered to be one of his biggest weaknesses, while he was with the Kings. Now, he's managed to turn it into a strength, and suddenly the narrative changes to, "Yeah, but he's only passing on the fast break." o_O

Regarding the second part, those of us who were/are pro-Evans would defend his assist numbers by pointing out that he is a very willing passer, but the guys he was passing to couldn't make open shots. Now, he's passing to guys that are actually hitting the shots, and people still want to hold it against him?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Meanwhile, Evans got his fourteenth double-double of the season tonight, but fouled out with two minutes to go. Surprised to see New Orleans hang on/come back to win.

I didn't really take notice of this the first time around, but it made me chuckle. With respect to the first part, I remember when Evans not passing in transition was considered to be one of his biggest weaknesses, while he was with the Kings. Now, he's managed to turn it into a strength, and suddenly the narrative changes to, "Yeah, but he's only passing on the fast break." o_O

Regarding the second part, those of us who were/are pro-Evans would defend his assist numbers by pointing out that he is a very willing passer, but the guys he was passing to couldn't make open shots. Now, he's passing to guys that are actually hitting the shots, and people still want to hold it against him?
I'm holding it against him only given the situation that the Pels are in with all the injuries. It's a different story if Davis is in the game, or even chucker Anderson. The Pelicans have been winning on career/extremely good games by Babbitt, Pondexter and against Miami Ajinca. It's also not so much the stats themselves, but how Evans was approaching those games. The point was not to fault him for passing on fast breaks, but to say that the assist numbers aren't indicative of him taking over the game/offense.

Against the Heat he played a lot more like how I think he should be playing. Was a lot more aggressive, particularly in the first half and put a lot more pressure on the Heat defense.

You know what I thought was stupid? Evans was being guarded by Dragic for a large part of the game and Monty only had Evans post up ONCE right towards the end of the game, which resulted in an easy layup.

Another frustrating half watching the Pels. How the heck can you be only tied with the Nuggets when they're shooting 30% or something?!?! Started the game off well, posting Tyreke against Lawson and getting easy baskets. Then they decided NAH we're gonna go chuck jumpshots instead.

Thing that frustrates me most is the Pels simply don't play hard. They don't crash the boards (and they're already playing a small lineup), they don't go hard after loose balls, they don't sprint back to try and defend the break on a TO. Tyreke for example is always just gambling on defense and waiting for passes to come to him instead of going for them. Just always seems like they aren't fighting hard enough to win the game. Either they're lazy or they're dumb. Sometimes it seems like both. And have I mentioned they keep settling for ****ing bricked jumpshots?

End of the 3rd perfectly demonstrates what I was talking about. Will Barton outrebounds 3 Pelicans and gets a layup off the offensive board. Pelicans go for the final shot but turn the ball over and Gallinari nails a halfcourt 3 to beat the buzzer. Smh.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That kid is like a ****ing Mack truck. It's unfair to make little guards have to check him. I'm with you, mac, it's incomprehensible why Williams doesn't post him more often, especially with Davis, Anderson and Holiday all injured..

Thank goodness they closed this game out. Woulda been an absolute disaster if they lost to the Nuggets. Now fingers crossed for OKC to lose some games

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
with all these injuries the Pelicans are on a 5 game win streak...Evans has been doing his usual work. I love watching this guy play, one of my three favorite players in the league no question.

Dumb coach, missing their star big man and the starting point guard. I don't understand how they can do it and the Kings couldn't. Native American burial grounds that the arena is built on is what I'm going with.

Dumb coach, missing their star big man and the starting point guard. I don't understand how they can do it and the Kings couldn't. Native American burial grounds that the arena is built on is what I'm going with.
Well they have had the fortune of playing some weaker opponents, but also I'm not convinced that they are a better team when Holiday has to split time with both Gordon and Evans and Ryan Anderson is out there chucking away. They miss Davis, and they miss having another reliable big.

K

KingMilz

Except the Nuggets are suddenly playing like George Karl is coaching them again.
Brian Shaw is a moron he wanted to turn Denver into a "smash mouth" team yet they literally had zero smash mouth players they are all built for running (aside from Nurkic).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Brian Shaw is a moron he wanted to turn Denver into a "smash mouth" team yet they literally had zero smash mouth players they are all built for running (aside from Nurkic).
It wasn't bright, but the real idiots were their front office. They hired Shaw hinting at a change in direction for an eternally junkball franchise that never actually won in the playoffs, and then completely 100% failed to make a single move to support that coach's change of direction. Instead they clung to all their same old stupid run n gun personnel, and patched on a halfcourt coach. Made no sense. Go one way or the other.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Evans with another typical Evans game, which is to say, inefficient but effective. Got New Orleans off to a great start, but faltered down the stretch. Still, 12/10/6/1 is a decent night from the starting point guard.

Evans now has 16 double-doubles on the year, and 26 total in two season as a Pelican. In his four seasons with the Kings, he had 25, 13 of them happening in his rookie year.

Status
Not open for further replies.