Tyreke and Jimmer Watch, 2014-2015 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Moak]

TYREEEEEEEEEEKE EVANS!

[/Moak]
He and Ajinca pretty much saved the Pels from what would have been an otherwise disastrous meltdown. Ryan Anderson's chucking is a lot more intolerable when he's being depended on to contribute as a main scorer. Ajinca > Asik overall. The problem with the Pels is they often get too comfortable settling for outside shots and stop attacking the rim.

Boy these Pelicans ... dumb is one of the first few words I think of when describing them. Down 2 they get an O board, Evans misses Pondexter wide open for 3 because he's too busy looking at Monty, and then they settle for a three from Anderson who at that point was 3-12 for the game. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. Evans really needs to realise that he can't be looking to set up guys for outside shots when Jrue and Davis aren't playing. That and he missed a good 3-4 open layups ... dumb dumb dumb.

He and Ajinca pretty much saved the Pels from what would have been an otherwise disastrous meltdown. Ryan Anderson's chucking is a lot more intolerable when he's being depended on to contribute as a main scorer. Ajinca > Asik overall. The problem with the Pels is they often get too comfortable settling for outside shots and stop attacking the rim.
Asik is a MUCH better rebounder, weakside and man defender than Ajinca. Ajinca is a nice offense-focused bench big, but he is incredibly foul prone. Asik needs to go the Joakim Noah route of becoming primarily a high-post distributor on offense because his hands and touch around the rim are awful. Like Thompson for the Kings, Asik works much better than Ajinca in the (healthy) starting five for the Pels.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Don't look now, but Evans has become a player who can still put up numbers on a winning team; I thought that he wouldn't be able to do that?

You know, I think I may have to revise my position again: I mean, I think we can all agree that the trio of Holiday, Gordon and Evans does not work. And I have always been of the position that Holiday and Gordon does not work. My position, for some time, has been that the Pelicans' optimal backcourt is Holiday and Evans, with Gordon being the weak link. But, now I'm starting to wonder if their best backcourt combination might be Evans and Gordon, with Holiday being the weak link.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Evans didn't have a good scoring night, but he made an uncharacteristically good decision to not force it, and did a good job running the offense. He had double digit assists for the second straight game, and is averaging 17/4/7, on 48 percent shooting, as the starting point guard.

Somebody in that trio has to go, and I'm no longer convinced that it's Gordon.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Pels are 17.9 seconds away from doing something that I didn't think they were capable of: beat the Clippers without Anthony Davis. Evans with another bad shooting night, but eight rebounds, and his third 12-assist game in the last four. And, actually, he should have had thirteen: he got pencil-whipped by his own scorekeeper.

Yeah, Reke is a better PG than Holiday for this team. Racking up the assists. Scoring when needed.

More importantly, NO is 7-3 in their last 10 with Reke running the point while beating Tor/Dal/LAC in that stretch.

Yeah, Reke is a better PG than Holiday for this team. Racking up the assists. Scoring when needed.

More importantly, NO is 7-3 in their last 10 with Reke running the point while beating Tor/Dal/LAC in that stretch.
Give Eric Gordon credit. I've been beating on him the whole season but EG has played really well with Jrue out. As Slim said ... Gordon may not be the problem. If they ever get Asik to convert a frikin layup they would be a much better team. Reke with some sick passes in the game. Still kinda question his decision making a little bit at times, but well .. can't say he doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The Pelicans need to run a system that lets Tyreke Evans be the decision maker with the ball, for the first forty minutes, and then give it to Holiday in the final eight.

The Pelicans need to run a system that lets Tyreke Evans be the decision maker with the ball, for the first forty minutes, and then give it to Holiday in the final eight.
This.

In all seriousness though, I really think the X factor for the Pels is Anderson. If he's cold then he just becomes a useless chucker and they get nothing off the bench. It's sort of like GS's philosophy but all hinging on one player.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Outstanding night for Tyreke Evans: 15/5/12/2, on 50% shooting, and no turnovers! He's averaging 17.5pts (.479), 4.9reb, 7.7ast since Holiday got injured.

Fredette also with a good night off the bench, season-high tying (I think) ten points.

Outstanding night for Tyreke Evans: 15/5/12/2, on 50% shooting, and no turnovers! He's averaging 17.5pts (.479), 4.9reb, 7.7ast since Holiday got injured.

Fredette also with a good night off the bench, season-high tying (I think) ten points.
Jimmer struggles a little bit with pressure but I still feel he's worth playing over Nate Wolters (who they were playing over Jimmer prior to the Clippers game).

Pelicans also had Jimmer/Withey/Wolters/Anderson/Babbitt in for the last minute of the game. At the risk of sounding insensitive, when's the last time an NBA team has fielded an all-white lineup on the court (because in all sincerity I don't think I'd ever seen it before)?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Yeah, he only had the one turnover, IIRC, and decent stats overall, but he really played like **** last night. Between him shooting horribly and Gordon being unable to guard Westbrook, the Pelicans got smashed.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I was just about to praise Evans for his strong bounce-back game against OKC, in the second half of a home/@home, before he took an ill-advised three, early in the shot clock that airballed, and subsequently led to the Thunder coming back down and getting a three from Durant.

His numbers are strong, though: 22 points and a career high-tying 15 assists. One rebound shy of a triple-double, with 1:10 to go in regulation.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
lol Evans just simultaneously got his first triple-double of the season, and nearly gave the game away by turning the ball over to give Kevin Durant the chance at a game-winning shot. :eek:

Evans ... it's like any time it's a close game his brain just shuts down with 2 minutes on the clock. Scary scary scary ... Just has these weird what on earth moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.