Tyreke and Jimmer Watch, 2014-2015 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite Tyreke's clear talent, Ben is a better fit now and going forward. It pains me to say that, cause deep down, as frustrating as Tyreke was at times (and still is), I really liked the guy. I'll always remember when I pulled up to get gas (at the safeway right near Arco) right behind him, and of course said nothing and did nothing but stare creepily.

The fan base is getting pretty tired of Evans hero ball and lack of being able to finish at the rim. His game, much like IT's doesn't really result in wins.
Two things have stood out to me in the games I've watched. His strange inability to finish at the rim is one, and I think that on its own already warrants a huge discussion. Has he lost alot of athleticism? I notice he doesn't really elevate on his layups, just tries to squirt them up off the board. Second thing is his decision making in the 4th. He's had games where he's been a very good playmaker, albeit a little careless with the ball and his passes at times. But he tends to go into heroball terrible decision making mode in every 4th quarter, which of course is made worse by his inability to convert at the rim.

Two things have stood out to me in the games I've watched. His strange inability to finish at the rim is one, and I think that on its own already warrants a huge discussion. Has he lost alot of athleticism? I notice he doesn't really elevate on his layups, just tries to squirt them up off the board. Second thing is his decision making in the 4th. He's had games where he's been a very good playmaker, albeit a little careless with the ball and his passes at times. But he tends to go into heroball terrible decision making mode in every 4th quarter, which of course is made worse by his inability to convert at the rim.
Tyreke without his ability to finish at the rim makes him a below average player in this league. He isn't a great playmaker (solid), he isn't quick, he has historically shot awful from everywhere on the court (this season is strange), and generally has never been part of a winning team. He had success here, but from year 1 to year 4, all of his stats went down (some quite significantly). He is a one trick pony, and now he has lost his trick. He has basically become a drive and dish guard, and lucky for him he has AD to throw it to. Pretty much anyone else and he doesn't look half as good. Shame, if only he cared about improving his game as he did playing streetball during the offseason (which is stupid - asking to get injured for nothing).

Tyreke without his ability to finish at the rim makes him a below average player in this league. He isn't a great playmaker (solid), he isn't quick, he has historically shot awful from everywhere on the court (this season is strange), and generally has never been part of a winning team. He had success here, but from year 1 to year 4, all of his stats went down (some quite significantly). He is a one trick pony, and now he has lost his trick. He has basically become a drive and dish guard, and lucky for him he has AD to throw it to. Pretty much anyone else and he doesn't look half as good. Shame, if only he cared about improving his game as he did playing streetball during the offseason (which is stupid - asking to get injured for nothing).
Mm that's not very fair though. He was actually in New Orleans working out with the coaching and training staff for most of the summer. Injuries happen - the real issue is that this last injury (and perhaps also coming off surgery earlier on) seems to have had a big effect on his explosiveness.

Mm that's not very fair though. He was actually in New Orleans working out with the coaching and training staff for most of the summer. Injuries happen - the real issue is that this last injury (and perhaps also coming off surgery earlier on) seems to have had a big effect on his explosiveness.
In regards to the streetball, I was referring to that with his time here in Sacramento. I have not kept track of Tyreke in New Orleans asides from the occasional box score lookup and injury status updates. Tyreke was never the most explosive athlete, but if he has lost some of it, that will significant for him. If anything, he might have slowed down a bit with all those ankle injuries. I have had several rather horrendous ankle sprains myself on my right ankle, and now when I run I hobble badly (I am 24). Tyreke is similar in that regard, so he may be feeling the after effects of all those injuries. Did he gain any weight? That might explain it as well.

In regards to the streetball, I was referring to that with his time here in Sacramento. I have not kept track of Tyreke in New Orleans asides from the occasional box score lookup and injury status updates. Tyreke was never the most explosive athlete, but if he has lost some of it, that will significant for him. If anything, he might have slowed down a bit with all those ankle injuries. I have had several rather horrendous ankle sprains myself on my right ankle, and now when I run I hobble badly (I am 24). Tyreke is similar in that regard, so he may be feeling the after effects of all those injuries. Did he gain any weight? That might explain it as well.
He does look heavier, but reports were (IIRC) that he was in very good shape. Then again, you rarely hear that a guy is not in good shape so not sure how true that was. He may have also bulked a little in light of being played at the 3.

He started the season pretty well but he really needs to be more of a scoring threat for them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He does look heavier, but reports were (IIRC) that he was in very good shape. Then again, you rarely hear that a guy is not in good shape so not sure how true that was. He may have also bulked a little in light of being played at the 3.

He started the season pretty well but he really needs to be more of a scoring threat for them.
And that, IMHO, is the crux of the matter.

NO overpaid for Tyreke big time. I don't think he's good in any role except the 6th man off the bench. The reason why I say that? He's terrible playing off the ball and needs the ball in his hands to even be a factor in the game. He freezes out everyone and takes the ball to the rim or dishes it out when he's in trouble. Tyreke has been my favorite King for that small era, but now I can really see the type of player he is.

He still doesn't have a jumper, and worst of all, his layups aren't falling in. I've really liked Tyreke, but I think he has a lot of street ball skills and great handling.. but it doesn't take you far especially if your skills lack in other areas of the game. I think Tyreke has a great work ethic, but I don't think he'll ever have a jumper. I think he can still have an effective role in the NBA if he:
-Slims down to increase his quickness
-Works on playing off the ball

Tyreke is an interesting player. Him not having a jumper really messes up his game. It sucks that he's never been able to develop one.

NO overpaid for Tyreke big time. I don't think he's good in any role except the 6th man off the bench. The reason why I say that? He's terrible playing off the ball and needs the ball in his hands to even be a factor in the game. He freezes out everyone and takes the ball to the rim or dishes it out when he's in trouble. Tyreke has been my favorite King for that small era, but now I can really see the type of player he is.

He still doesn't have a jumper, and worst of all, his layups aren't falling in. I've really liked Tyreke, but I think he has a lot of street ball skills and great handling.. but it doesn't take you far especially if your skills lack in other areas of the game. I think Tyreke has a great work ethic, but I don't think he'll ever have a jumper. I think he can still have an effective role in the NBA if he:
-Slims down to increase his quickness
-Works on playing off the ball

Tyreke is an interesting player. Him not having a jumper really messes up his game. It sucks that he's never been able to develop one.
The whole freezes everyone out only passes at the last second argument is old. He's been a very good playmaker for the most part this season and even has the reputation as being one of their best passers.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The whole freezes everyone out only passes at the last second argument is old. He's been a very good playmaker for the most part this season and even has the reputation as being one of their best passers.

Except he's gone full heroball from almost the moment where Eric Gordon got injured and he's gone from shooting hot to start the season to now struggling from anywhere on the court and still keeping the ball away from options 1 and 2.

Don't get me wrong, I was upset the Kings didn't sign Reke but he's playing more like bad Larry Hughes than the potential all-NBA player we all saw in his rookie season. Still a solid defender and possess good passing skills and the ability to (sometimes) drive BUT he is still, at this point, playing like the number one option while in reality he's number three (four if you count Anderson off the bench) in their pecking order.

Overall his game has regressed even from when he last played in Sacramento. Now, I don't know if that's just a product of playing under three bad coaches in a row but it's happening. Would I love him as my sixth man off the bench? Sure. But right now, I wouldn't even start him over Ben.

Except he's gone full heroball from almost the moment where Eric Gordon got injured and he's gone from shooting hot to start the season to now struggling from anywhere on the court and still keeping the ball away from options 1 and 2.

Don't get me wrong, I was upset the Kings didn't sign Reke but he's playing more like bad Larry Hughes than the potential all-NBA player we all saw in his rookie season. Still a solid defender and possess good passing skills and the ability to (sometimes) drive BUT he is still, at this point, playing like the number one option while in reality he's number three (four if you count Anderson off the bench) in their pecking order.

Overall his game has regressed even from when he last played in Sacramento. Now, I don't know if that's just a product of playing under three bad coaches in a row but it's happening. Would I love him as my sixth man off the bench? Sure. But right now, I wouldn't even start him over Ben.
Like I said, for the most part of the season aside from 4th quarters the whole not passing the ball thing hasn't been an issue. The real issue IMO is precisely his inability to score, and that's something that's been there since the start of the season. He's been missing layups he would have easily made in all his years with us.

I disagree. I think I'm arguably the biggest Tyreke fan on this site, but it's true. His game this year is really suffering when he can't score. That is how he gets a lot of his assists though. He drives to the basket and kicks it out when he's in trouble.(That's actually a very high bball iq move). However, he's one of those players who you wouldn't even realize was in the game if he didn't have the ball in his hands.

And I agree with you, he's missing a lot of layups. The HUGE problem with that is when you take away his layups, he can't score. He's inefficient. Tyreke should slim down. I think if he does, it'll be easier for him to finish around the rim. He's bulked up a lot.

I disagree. I think I'm arguably the biggest Tyreke fan on this site, but it's true. His game this year is really suffering when he can't score. That is how he gets a lot of his assists though. He drives to the basket and kicks it out when he's in trouble.(That's actually a very high bball iq move). However, he's one of those players who you wouldn't even realize was in the game if he didn't have the ball in his hands.

And I agree with you, he's missing a lot of layups. The HUGE problem with that is when you take away his layups, he can't score. He's inefficient. Tyreke should slim down. I think if he does, it'll be easier for him to finish around the rim. He's bulked up a lot.
It seems like we're on different pages here, because I never said that scoring WASN'T the problem. On the point of his passing, there have been multiple times this season when I think he's tried to pass too much around the rim when he could have just taken the layup himself!

A couple of games ago Evans had got double digit assists in two consecutive games and almost did so for a third. I think this was prior to the Gordon injury, but he was leading their team in assists. I just don't see how a guy can be leading them in assists, and have the reputation as one of the best passers on their own team (the Pels guys say it themselves), and still be accused of freezing out everyone and only passing it when he's in trouble. Has he had stretches where he's gone into hero ball? Yes, and I've acknowledged as much. But to say his overall play has not changed compared to his time in Sacramento with regards to passing/ playmaking is just flat out wrong if you asked me.

Also kinda funny when on one hand, people say that AD gets all his buckets (for a whopping 20+ points) set up by his guards, and then suggest that the Pels #1 or #2 leading assist guy is freezing people out on offense.

Evans had a pretty good first half but has been more shaky in the 3rd. Also (and may be subjective here) feel that he kinda doesn't get the benefit of a lot of calls when he attacks the rim. Gets a lot of contact but rarely gets the whistle. James Harden gets twice the whistles with half the contact.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Evans had a pretty good first half but has been more shaky in the 3rd. Also (and may be subjective here) feel that he kinda doesn't get the benefit of a lot of calls when he attacks the rim. Gets a lot of contact but rarely gets the whistle.
It's OKC. Now that Durant and Westbrook are back, no one's going to get many calls against the Thunder

Evans with 30 points and 5 assists now (most of the assists came in the 1st half). Taking over in the 4th but needs to keep the ball moving.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I know know whether he's moving the ball, since he hasn't recorded an assist in the quarter, but he hasn't attempted a field goal, since scoring fifteen straight.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Another bad outing by Reke offsetting one of the best first halves in the NBA this season from Anthony Davis against the Warriors.

K

KingMilz

Am I the only one that feels Asik is HORRIBLE fit for this team? He can't catch at all any of Holidays/Evans drives, he misses bunnies more than he makes them and in general he just sucks, he's like a horrible version of JT atm. Jason Smith was a far better fit next to Davis he just could never stay healthy.

The Pelicans let go of Morrow/Smith and Aminu for nothing and these guys on this team would have made a massive difference.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Evans is starting to remind me of LSH Ultra Boy. Like, he can only use one super-power at a time: he'll have a game where he's hitting his jumpers, but he can't make layups. Then he'll have a game where he's making his layups, but he can't hit free throws. Then he'll have a game where his shot is going down, but he won't pass the ball. Then he'll have a game where he's looking for his teammates, but he can't hold on to the ball...

Status
Not open for further replies.