TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

I didn't like the Ahsoka Tano show much. I am really into Star Wars too.. I LOVED Obi Wan show, but never really like the Mandalorian or Ahsoka Tano.

I am more of a Jedi lover so I am sure I will like Ahsoka Tano once the rest of the season is out. Just underwhelmed by the first two I guess.

I would REALLY love to see them do the "Old Republic" and the war between Jedis and Sith when there were all sorts of sith and jedi running around. At first I thought the Mandalorian would be about that but they screwed the timeline up and put the Mandalorian into the Empire/Rebellion time. Mandalorians were basically your Hirojin (from Star Trek Voyager) but they were mainly in power during the old republic. I don't think they will release a show like that though because not enough people know about the characters from the old republic, and since it's really not based on any of the canon that they have showed to this point people won't really catch on I am afraid. It's a niche audience.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The One Piece adaption on Netflix is actually… kinda good? This is the first time a live action anime adaption hasn’t been terrible in forever
How much have you watched? The trailer didn't really do it for me, but then again I don't know the anime so it might just not be my thing.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I just found out that they filmed an alternate version of the ending to How I Met Your Mother, that doesn't end with
Ted trying to get back with Robin
, and now I'm mad at that show, all over again.

I don't know why I'm bothering to use spoiler tags for a show that went off the air nine years ago but, oh well.

I enjoyed the series overall. These Star Wars series have generally been pretty good. I do wait until the entire series is out now so I can binge it instead of waiting a week between episodes.
I’ve found now that I loaded YouTube onto my tv to stream some things including those breakdowns on the shows. Was very helpful as those who have read the books or watched all of the Clone Wars, etc can inform as to what is going on.
Aware of parts of the story…Ezra, Thrawn, Sabine but not the deeper story

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I’ve found now that I loaded YouTube onto my tv to stream some things including those breakdowns on the shows. Was very helpful as those who have read the books or watched all of the Clone Wars, etc can inform as to what is going on.
Aware of parts of the story…Ezra, Thrawn, Sabine but not the deeper story
I haven't watched Clone Wars, read the books, etc. Just enjoying it for what it is.

Warhawk

Staff member
Just finished up season 2 of Wheel of Time (Prime) and while they are making some changes from the books, the show is overall well done. The problem with the books is that they are so stuffed with characters and storylines that it would be near impossible to follow closely (worse than Game of Thrones, I think, due to the sheer volume of material if nothing else). The production value isn't quite as good as Game of Thrones but it is probably better than most.

Warhawk

Staff member
My wife and I have been enjoying The Night Agent on Netflix - just a couple episodes left for the first series.

Edit - watched the last couple episodes tonight - wrapped it up pretty well overall and we are looking forward to the next season.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
I binged the second season of Loki on Disney+ and I'm still trying to figure out why both Marvel and DC feel the need to keep digging into the multiverse well to try to make good stories.

It just feels like a cheap gimmick to keep changing up storylines and providing easy outs for plot inconsistencies, etc. You didn't need to do that for Avengers, etc.

While the acting was well done and I liked the characters, the show just really didn't do it for me. Hawkeye and She-Hulk were better overall, just to name a couple of recent shows.

My wife and I have been enjoying The Night Agent on Netflix - just a couple episodes left for the first series.

Edit - watched the last couple episodes tonight - wrapped it up pretty well overall and we are looking forward to the next season.
Great one indeed !!!
will love to have the second season faster :)

Another season of Fargo on FX/Hulu…..good again
Lessons in Chemistry on AppleTv was outstanding
For All Mankind on Apple TV with another season, solid but so far this season my interest is starting to wane a little but still good

And my guilty pleasure, Squid Games The Challenge. I like it, if you can tolerate these types of shows, it’s worth a look

Warhawk

Staff member
I binged season 1 of Gen V (The Boys spinoff) on Prime today and it is just as over the top and twisted as The Boys, but it is set in the superhero "college" campus with kids who know they were injected with V. If you like The Boys this is right up your alley.

So I just heard there is going to be an Alien series. And Noah Hawley is going to be the creator, director, etc…..Hawley has been awesome with the Fargo series. Can’t wait for this

Warhawk

Staff member
Just binged Echo (Disney+) - had no idea how they were going to move the character forward after Hawkeye but expected something more like that show than what they put together. I like the fact that these series are digging into different ethnic backgrounds and histories a bit (Echo, Ms. Marvel, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Luke Cage, Moon Knight, etc.) - the shows themselves may not be all equal or great, but the variety in backgrounds and history I find very interesting to watch.

Echo was a bit uneven and not what I expected. I thought the ending setpiece was a bit anticlimactic vs. some of the previous action in the short series, but it is interesting where they might take this next.

Warhawk

Staff member
My wife and I never watched Suits (Netflix) so we decided to try that series that now. We're very early in season 2 and have been enjoying the show quite a bit.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I didn't realize that Prime had a Chinese version of this (3 Body Problem) series already (apparently with subtitles) and a LOT of episodes. I haven't checked it out yet.

Digging into the Netflix series and it seems to be pretty well done. I haven't read the books in a while so I likely can't comment on how close they stick to the source material, but I'm really enjoying it. It's got some faces in there you will recognize.
(Reply moved to "TV - What's your passion?" thread from "What are you reading?")

I knew about the Tencent version, which can (or could have?) be found on the internet. I watched the first episode but it didn't grab me enough to commit to something like 30 episodes.

The Netflix Three Body Problem series just came out on Thursday, and I'd already be done with it if it didn't coincide with the NCAA tournament and me watching 12+ hours of basketball a day...but as it is I'm 3/4 of the way through it. I think it's quite solid, but I'll hold off on "great" until it's finished (in the same way that Solon said that no man should be considered truly happy until he has died).

The adaptation is quite faithful for the backstory (set in China, makes almost no changes to the story) but moves the active story to London/Oxford, which makes sense for an english language adaptation. It is very true to the concepts of the book while playing fast and loose with characters and their roles - but it is clearly already weaving in some storylines from Death's End (and the title of the final episode indicates it will weave in at least one storyline from The Dark Forest). So what I'm saying is, this series isn't designed to end at the end of Three Body Problem (in fact the climax of the book came in episode 5 of 8) - it's clearly intended to go the distance, whether that's one or two more seasons.

But yeah, I'm all in.

Warhawk

Staff member
(Reply moved to "TV - What's your passion?" thread from "What are you reading?")

I knew about the Tencent version, which can (or could have?) be found on the internet. I watched the first episode but it didn't grab me enough to commit to something like 30 episodes.

The Netflix Three Body Problem series just came out on Thursday, and I'd already be done with it if it didn't coincide with the NCAA tournament and me watching 12+ hours of basketball a day...but as it is I'm 3/4 of the way through it. I think it's quite solid, but I'll hold off on "great" until it's finished (in the same way that Solon said that no man should be considered truly happy until he has died).

The adaptation is quite faithful for the backstory (set in China, makes almost no changes to the story) but moves the active story to London/Oxford, which makes sense for an english language adaptation. It is very true to the concepts of the book while playing fast and loose with characters and their roles - but it is clearly already weaving in some storylines from Death's End (and the title of the final episode indicates it will weave in at least one storyline from The Dark Forest). So what I'm saying is, this series isn't designed to end at the end of Three Body Problem (in fact the climax of the book came in episode 5 of 8) - it's clearly intended to go the distance, whether that's one or two more seasons.

But yeah, I'm all in.
I'm only about 6 (?) episodes in at this point, but I'm definitely liking it.

Last edited:
I just binge watched The Netflix Three Body Problem series in two days.

The series was gripping with a thought-provoking storyline. It had memorable characters with good relationships, great production values and nice pacing. The science was presented well for the most part.

The finale could have been better and veered into standard Hollywood tropes territory. Some of the plot progression points seemed rushed with characters being surprised at developments in meetings and ceremony.

Overall, it's an interesting series that is really well done. One may even consider it as atonement for what D&D did with the GoT finale season.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
The Netflix Three Body Problem series...I think it's quite solid, but I'll hold off on "great" until it's finished (in the same way that Solon said that no man should be considered truly happy until he has died).
Finished it up. Solon was a wise man, but perhaps a bit of a cynic.

The decision to weave decent amounts of the second book - and larger amounts of the third book - into this season was actually quite clever. In fact, one of the oddities (I won't say "difficulties", that's not right) of the third book was stepping backwards in the timeline and restarting the story from contemporary times on a different thread with new characters. The solution that D&D found was to launch all the threads at the same time with the same characters. So simple even a caveman could think of it. For a book, maybe not the best decision. But for TV, it works.

When the whole thing was first announced, there were a lot of people asking the question of whether D&D intended to adapt the second and third books. Watching the series, the answer is OBVIOUSLY YES. All they need is a green light from Netflix, and seeing the results of 3BP, they're going to get it. I'm waiting eagerly.

Warhawk

Staff member
Finished it up. Solon was a wise man, but perhaps a bit of a cynic.

The decision to weave decent amounts of the second book - and larger amounts of the third book - into this season was actually quite clever. In fact, one of the oddities (I won't say "difficulties", that's not right) of the third book was stepping backwards in the timeline and restarting the story from contemporary times on a different thread with new characters. The solution that D&D found was to launch all the threads at the same time with the same characters. So simple even a caveman could think of it. For a book, maybe not the best decision. But for TV, it works.

When the whole thing was first announced, there were a lot of people asking the question of whether D&D intended to adapt the second and third books. Watching the series, the answer is OBVIOUSLY YES. All they need is a green light from Netflix, and seeing the results of 3BP, they're going to get it. I'm waiting eagerly.
I just finished the last episode this morning. Well done, folks. Keep up the good work!

Warhawk

Staff member

I've started watching this one - I'm maybe 4-5 episodes in. The problem so far is that they drag everything out. They could cut out 1/3 or so (at least so far) and not lose any of the story.

I am enjoying it though - they have done one or two interesting things that help explain what the problems are (like the pool table stuff in one of the episodes I just watched). It took a couple shows to get going. Like the books, these episodes "feel" very Chinese in nature (not just the spoken language used or the character nationality or filming location, as these can also be true for a film that feels "American", but the dialogue structure and overall show "feel" as well).