Rondo suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the league's biggest star at the time, they should have made an example of Kobe. He was even caught on camera saying it. Instead a slap on the wrist. There was also the incident a few years ago of Joakim Noah being caught calling a fan that word. No suspension.

No excuse for what Rondo said, he deserves a suspension, but I have a problem with punishments being handed out inconsistently.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
No excuse for what Rondo said, he deserves a suspension, but I have a problem with punishments being handed out inconsistently.
I agree with this, but this is also something we as society are evolving on. Which is why I'm fine with a suspension, but not if they say it's just for using profane language. Call it out. MLS and NHL have done it. I'd like to see NBA get ahead on this issue as one of the big 3.

Here's the deal....Kennedy is an openly gay NBA referee. When he and Rondo got into the exchange he used the derogatory slur for a gay person. Obviously that's a huge no-no in today's society. I don't think he would have been suspended if he just said something generic like "that's bs" or "you f'ing suck."

And those of you mad at Kennedy and saying he "convinced" the NBA to suspend Rondo, that's not how it works. He gives his report on what happened and the league makes the decisions.

Whether we like it or not, the suspension is warranted. And I'm probably the biggest Rondo fan here...

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Here's the deal....Kennedy is an openly gay NBA referee. When he and Rondo got into the exchange he used the derogatory slur for a gay person. Obviously that's a huge no-no in today's society. I don't think he would have been suspended if he just said something generic like "that's bs" or "you f'ing suck."

And those of you mad at Kennedy and saying he "convinced" the NBA to suspend Rondo, that's not how it works. He gives his report on what happened and the league makes the decisions.

Whether we like it or not, the suspension is warranted. And I'm probably the biggest Rondo fan here...
It was absurd to eject Rondo in that situation. He was already turning to walk away. Rondo's reaction after the ejection was inappropriate but considering he was already ejected from a competitive game, further suspension feels like overkill. Does this really send the message that the NBA won't tolerate slurs of any kind or does it send a message that the NBA has no intention of holding its referees to the same standard of behavior it expects from it's players? Bill Kennedy instigated that situation. If he behaves reasonably in the first place, there's no reason for Rondo to blow up.

Not to mention...

Bill Kennedy employed the same tactic to eject Doc Rivers during a Celtics game in 2009 and the referees union claimed in that situation that Bill Kennedy staring down Doc Rivers was perfectly reasonable and well within the parameters of carrying out his job. According to their own logic Rondo was attempting to diffuse the situation by staring and then walking away. Given the context of the situation, I'd expect both Rondo and Kennedy to get fined. Rondo for inappropriate use of language and Bill Kennedy for abusing his authority. Suspending Rondo for a game is as much of an overreaction as ejecting him in the first place was.

I want universality. If Rondo is getting a 1 game suspension for a gay slur then ANYONE and EVERYONE that ever uses it in a game should be suspended. Just be consistent NBA. Too frequently, the NBA has suspended one player for the same offense that another player gets fined for.

They've really written themselves into a corner here.

There is no way the NBA is going to be able to uphold the rule that no player may speak the forbidden word for loose sticks on pain of suspension.

These are aggressive, alpha-males on the court, who have grown up deriding their opponent's manhood to get into their heads to get any edge they can on the court.
They are going to violate their own policy before the All-Star break, or they're going to be suspending a LOT of people for it, I predict.
I see no wiggle room here.
If they suspend Rondo for it, they HAVE to suspend everyone for it.
Rondo has no repeat-offender scenario working here that I know of.

It was absurd to eject Rondo in that situation. He was already turning to walk away. Rondo's reaction after the ejection was inappropriate but considering he was already ejected from a competitive game, further suspension feels like overkill. Does this really send the message that the NBA won't tolerate slurs of any kind or does it send a message that the NBA has no intention of holding its referees to the same standard of behavior it expects from it's players? Bill Kennedy instigated that situation. If he behaves reasonably in the first place, there's no reason for Rondo to blow up.

Not to mention...

Bill Kennedy employed the same tactic to eject Doc Rivers during a Celtics game in 2009 and the referees union claimed in that situation that Bill Kennedy staring down Doc Rivers was perfectly reasonable and well within the parameters of carrying out his job. According to their own logic Rondo was attempting to diffuse the situation by staring and then walking away. Given the context of the situation, I'd expect both Rondo and Kennedy to get fined. Rondo for inappropriate use of language and Bill Kennedy for abusing his authority. Suspending Rondo for a game is as much of an overreaction as ejecting him in the first place was.
Why do people always assume that the referees aren't held accountable? Trust me, they are more than you would ever know. I know a few of them. He very well could have been reprimanded for how he handled that situation. Regardless, it doesn't change anything with Rondo. If he said that word them it's s pretty no-brained suspension. After the Sterling incident, thr NBA isn't going to mess around with hate slurs like that.

They've really written themselves into a corner here.

There is no way the NBA is going to be able to uphold the rule that no player may speak the forbidden word for loose sticks on pain of suspension.

These are aggressive, alpha-males on the court, who have grown up deriding their opponent's manhood to get into their heads to get any edge they can on the court.
They are going to violate their own policy before the All-Star break, or they're going to be suspending a LOT of people for it, I predict.
I see no wiggle room here.
If they suspend Rondo for it, they HAVE to suspend everyone for it.
Rondo has no repeat-offender scenario working here that I know of.
Players use words like that, including the "n" words towards each other all the time. They don't use it in a derogatory manner though. It's just part of their culture I guess (which I've never understood but that's the the way it is). I think when you call an openly gay referee the "f" word it's a little different than calling your teammate a slur word in an acceptable way in that culture.

Players use words like that, including the "n" words towards each other all the time. They don't use it in a derogatory manner though. It's just part of their culture I guess (which I've never understood but that's the the way it is). I think when you call an openly gay referee the "f" word it's a little different than calling your teammate a slur word in an acceptable way in that culture.
Calling a gay person a fag or a ****** is a hate crime.

Rondo let his emotions get the best of him and it was really poor judgement by him overall.
Hope he learns from this, and apologizes.

Take the 1 game suspension and just move on.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Rondo used the slur in question I am fully on board with him being suspended.

Any player that uses a racial slur or a gender/sexual orientation based slur towards anyone in the arena (but especially a referee or fan) should be suspended. Whether or not some other player did something similar without suspension doesn't matter to me. There shouldn't be any tolerance for discrimination in the NBA.

Not to mention...

I probably missed something, but when I watch the film of the incident I see the ref holding up his hand toward Rondo in a "stop" motion. He is saying "don't do it Rajon - I don't wanna hear it - stop right there and lets play ball".

Rondo presisted, got his his face, gave him the Manson lamps, and abused him verbally.

I think it was an open & shut second tech and ejection. Not really an open & shut suspension but not an unreasonable one either imo. If players are allowed to physically intimidate refs (the stare was pretty chilling) - things would get out of hand quickly there are a lot of serious badass dudes in the NBA

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Be pissed at Rondo for getting himself suspended. We appropriately get ticked off at Cuz for getting nmself suspended.
Rondo overreacted to a situation which would cause most people to overreact. That's understandable to me. I'd be the first one to tell somebody that word is inappropriate in any context and yet if someone nearly kills me on the freeway I might blurt it out in spite of myself. That doesn't make it a hate crime. I'm still more upset with Bill Kennedy for being a douche -- which is what Rondo should have called him.

Calling a gay person a fag or a ****** is a hate crime.

Rondo let his emotions get the best of him and it was really poor judgement by him overall.
Hope he learns from this, and apologizes.

Take the 1 game suspension and just move on.
What? Calling someone a bad name is not a hate crime. It's not a crime at all. It's an awful thing to do, but it's not a crime.

A hate crime? Nonsense. A word you shouldn't direct at an official? Yes. But let's no sit here and pretend there's a lot which gets said on courts and fields across sports which doesn't belong in other environments.
What? Calling someone a bad name is not a hate crime. It's not a crime at all. It's an awful thing to do, but it's not a crime.
PC and lately, that term is being associated with hate crime.
Our first amendment protects freedom of speech and Rondo was only directing it at 1 man, so you're right.

If Rondo expanded on that(might be doubtful), it would THEN be classified as a hate crime.

I really didn't mean the literal term of crime.

We should not sit here and complain about a 1 game suspension... that is all. Rondo did something wrong, and he should be punished for it.

My question is why did this take a week after the fact? Did it really take that long to talk to the ref, which I imagine was all this really took?

Not to mention...

Well said Hard Boiled

Knowing the player was upset Kennnedy could have looked away instead of engaging in a staring contest. Rondo is a pretty level headed dude and after all the years in the league Kennedy has to know this. So when he is hot there is probably a justified reason. The point is he is not Boogie Cousins in terms of cry and moan factor.

You could make the point Rondo was showing restraint by not saying anything. A good ref diffuses the situation by turning away or after the first technical says " You keep staring Rajon and I'll T you up again" "Or I have had enough, Rondo, no more" or some dialogue or warning or acknowledgement to get the player to walk away.

This is simple Conflict Resolution 101.

After the ejection, when the verbal abuse turns into a personal attack (since the ref is openly gay apparently), the one game suspension is appropriate. But it only got to this point because the ref did his job poorly. Rondo baited him but the ref allowed himself to be baited. Two to tango and all.

How often do players stare down refs when they are incredulous over a call? It happens all the time! LeBron is famous for it. Staring down a ref cannot be a basis for a T b/c it becomes too subjective and the league would start to have to distinguish between staring and looking and inappropriate looking and hostile looking.

The funny thing is if he calls him a effing a-hole or a effing b-word or other obscene names he is probably playing on Monday. If I am on the receiving end of obscene name I don't really differentiate between them, but I guess the league office does. Does a straight man or ref not have the same right to be equally offended to be called a stupid b-word. Has not his manhood been challenged? I wonder if a straight ref is called a stupid b-word if he is entitled to claim he has been slurred and the offending party should get one game?

I don't know....its stupid and unnecessary and costly to a team desperate for win streak. Both parties are to blame and let's hope Curry and Darren combine for 25+ points but we'll probably need that to win on Tuesday.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Be pissed at Rondo for getting himself suspended. We appropriately get ticked off at Cuz for getting nmself suspended.
Cousins is a repeat offender though, so Rondo has a bit more leeway up to this point because he has behaved well so far and that's obviously because he is looking to cash in a big pay day so he will be on his best behavior regardless.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Speaking of Bill Kennedy, he works out at the gym I do all the time so I see him quite often...maybe I should pick his brain a bit about this and troll him.

I probably missed something, but when I watch the film of the incident I see the ref holding up his hand toward Rondo in a "stop" motion. He is saying "don't do it Rajon - I don't wanna hear it - stop right there and lets play ball".

Rondo presisted, got his his face, gave him the Manson lamps, and abused him verbally.

I think it was an open & shut second tech and ejection. Not really an open & shut suspension but not an unreasonable one either imo. If players are allowed to physically intimidate refs (the stare was pretty chilling) - things would get out of hand quickly there are a lot of serious badass dudes in the NBA
Manson Lamps-lmao

Last edited:

Just as a clarification:

Rondo was moving away from the ref with Collison between them when the ref T'd him up.
In fact, he also didn't say a word so the ref actually didn't hear anything from him.
Also a fact - Rondo hasn't reportedly said anything offensive until AFTER the ref (unjustifiably) threw him out of the game.
In fact, I haven't been able to find one audio or even transcription of what Rondo said that was so bad as to warrant a suspension.

Further - let's be real, here - y'all are adults, right? Let's talk real.
****** is not "the n word". * (great, apparently it's a censored word on here, though)
It is nowhere near the n word, in use or history.
While it's all well and good to try to eliminate derogatory terms from society, let's not pretend that word is not a VERY recent addition to The Forbidden List of Words Polite Society Must Not Use.
It's being used on every single school campus today, all over America, and I don't see it being enforced like the n word is. Hell, it's an epidemic for kids of this generation to stupidly call each other "gay" as a pejorative. It's a tad ivory-towerish to thumb your nose and look down on these athletes, when your own kids are saying this suddenly-verboten word all the damn time.
(And before anyone goes personal here, I've grown up with and worked with and game with and been friends with gay guys and girls - it's no big deal to me - they're just people (and IME, good people) and they can love whoever they want to love)

For discussion's sake - here's a question:
What if Rondo didn't know the ref was gay?
Wouldn't it be ironic that he's being suspended for unintentionally "using an epithet" at a ref who happened to be gay?

Hell, for discussion's sake, what if Rondo was gay?
Can he not use the same word that gay people call each other all the damn time?

Just as a clarification:

Rondo was moving away from the ref with Collison between them when the ref T'd him up.
In fact, he also didn't say a word so the ref actually didn't hear anything from him.
Also a fact - Rondo hasn't reportedly said anything offensive until AFTER the ref (unjustifiably) threw him out of the game.
In fact, I haven't been able to find one audio or even transcription of what Rondo said that was so bad as to warrant a suspension.

Further - let's be real, here - y'all are adults, right? Let's talk real.
****** is not "the n word". * (great, apparently it's a censored word on here, though)
It is nowhere near the n word, in use or history.
While it's all well and good to try to eliminate derogatory terms from society, let's not pretend that word is not a VERY recent addition to The Forbidden List of Words Polite Society Must Not Use.
It's being used on every single school campus today, all over America, and I don't see it being enforced like the n word is. Hell, it's an epidemic for kids of this generation to stupidly call each other "gay" as a pejorative. It's a tad ivory-towerish to thumb your nose and look down on these athletes, when your own kids are saying this suddenly-verboten word all the damn time.
(And before anyone goes personal here, I've grown up with and worked with and game with and been friends with gay guys and girls - it's no big deal to me - they're just people (and IME, good people) and they can love whoever they want to love)

For discussion's sake - here's a question:
What if Rondo didn't know the ref was gay?
Wouldn't it be ironic that he's being suspended for unintentionally "using an epithet" at a ref who happened to be gay?

Hell, for discussion's sake, what if Rondo was gay?
Can he not use the same word that gay people call each other all the damn time?
Stop. You're making excuses and reading way too much into this thing. Didn't know he's gay? Come on. That's pretty much public knowledge in that circle. Sometimes you just have to take the fan "glasses" off and be objective. He was out of line and the suspension was justified. Yes it sucks to have him sit out but he did the crime so now he has to do the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.