Play-in games discussion

I see there’s no need to play the game, going off the comments here. May as well just give the team the day off and forfeit.
I'm just as excited as ever! I'll be going to the game, partly because I want to experience a play in game, and partly because it would be sweet, sweet revenge to knock out the Warriors after being there for Steph's 50 in game 7. I am worried that if the Kings lose, how demoralizing that could be for this Kings team and their spirit for next season. I think this is a huge game for Mike Brown.

I'm just as excited as ever! I'll be going to the game, partly because I want to experience a play in game, and partly because it would be sweet, sweet revenge to knock out the Warriors after being there for Steph's 50 in game 7. I am worried that if the Kings lose, how demoralizing that could be for this Kings team and their spirit for next season. I think this is a huge game for Mike Brown.
While I respect your comments, I will have to respectfully disagree with the bold text. I don't think it will be demoralizing. In fact, I think it will serve as motivation moving forward. Especially since we would have been knocked out two years in a row by the same team...:p:p:p

i think it would be demoralizing if our core was set and we were 4 years into this thing but we all know this team is a piece or two away from being in that ‘ship conversation. Any sort of early exit might expedite that big move.

i think it would be demoralizing if our core was set and we were 4 years into this thing but we all know this team is a piece or two away from being in that ‘ship conversation. Any sort of early exit might expedite that big move.
Well, if Sabonis gets neutralized again tomorrow night like he did last year then I think that has some ramifications that would extend beyond one or two pieces being added... Unless you are talking about him potentially being in a deal.

Also, if we don't have all our picks to trade this offseason, it might be difficult to make a major move or two to this roster because I think trade is the only way. The cap situation gets much more difficult to maneuver after this offseason

That's about as idiotic a take as I have ever heard. You are rolling all the dice on being able to beat either the Kings or the Warriors in a single elimination game, instead of having two shots at making it in? Who is this guy?
Well, unless, by "tanking" he also means that the Lakers, after resting their stars in order to lose tomorrow's game, should also do the same in the next game against the winner of GSW @ SAC. I mean, if he truly wants the Lakers to tank, shouldn't he, then, want the Lakers to completely miss out on the playoffs in the first place?

I dunno 'bout you, but this would actually play to our advantage at the end of the day...:p:p:p

That's about as idiotic a take as I have ever heard. You are rolling all the dice on being able to beat either the Kings or the Warriors in a single elimination game, instead of having two shots at making it in? Who is this guy?
It's their job to come up with these takes lol but seriously the NBA can set them up to win any game they want them to so it'd probably work out fine for them either way

I'm still in disbelief this game is on Tuesday. Last year the 7/8 games for both conferences were on Tuesday, and 9/10 games were Wednesday. Everything I read last week said it would be the same as last year, but maybe I didn't dive deep enough. It must be a ratings thing, and/or they want both teams on the same rest days for the Friday games. I know, riveting stuff here, just had to scream it out into the internet universe

I have e poetry final of the season :
We beat GS after buzzing beater (that will be for sure how the game will end …)
Then we finally manage to beat the Pels in front of they own crowd for first time in 6 games (and for surprise of the whole forum here will be with 15+)
- First round is clear OKC will burn out and loose both fist home games , they will take game 3 and 5 but we will finish them in 6 at home ….
- here is the tricky one though , cause we have to beat Dallas who are in form, but in game 2 (where they took a 2/0 lead ) Doncic hurts his leg and is out for next 3 games , of course we take them all.
Then I Kings style drama where we loose 21 points advantage because of a “heroic” play of not fully recovered Doncic , just too see his team losing by one point after some crazy long 3 style Doncic , made by Monk …
Final conference is easy 4/3 against LA …. Only cause refs will give them enough FT to finally took us several games ….
Then fhe title game ….
Well we loose to Boston in five …
All else will be fiction :p

I'm still in disbelief this game is on Tuesday. Last year the 7/8 games for both conferences were on Tuesday, and 9/10 games were Wednesday. Everything I read last week said it would be the same as last year, but maybe I didn't dive deep enough. It must be a ratings thing, and/or they want both teams on the same rest days for the Friday games. I know, riveting stuff here, just had to scream it out into the internet universe
Maybe they decide last minute change , cause absolutely every where is Tuesday your time , Wednesday early morning here in Europe

dude12

Hall of Famer
It’s a huge game for all of the Kings org but if you are inferring that Brown is on the hot seat, there is zero chance that he is despite some of the naysayers on here. The guy just led us to another good record despite a ton of injuries compared to last year. This team is still one move away and It got closer with the development of Ellis…..and the development of Davion.

It’s a huge game for all of the Kings org but if you are inferring that Brown is on the hot seat, there is zero chance that he is despite some of the naysayers on here. The guy just led us to another good record despite a ton of injuries compared to last year. This team is still one move away and It got closer with the development of Ellis…..and the development of Davion.
I'm not saying he's on the hot seat at all. I'm alluding more to human nature and losing this game maybe leading to less buy in/losing the ear of the team. Not saying it's guaranteed to happen, just more thinking out loud about what the ripple effects might be if the result is a loss tomorrow.

I'm not saying he's on the hot seat at all. I'm alluding more to human nature and losing this game maybe leading to less buy in/losing the ear of the team. Not saying it's guaranteed to happen, just more thinking out loud about what the ripple effects might be if the result is a loss tomorrow.
I would think that losing to the Warriors again with the season ending at home, would be further motivation for some major change. Would the effect be any different, if they somehow advance a bit?....who knows

Davion Mitchell has a few incisive words on the improvement in Sacramento's defense since October:

<"I think covering for one another. We're kind of on a streak defensively," Mitchell said Sunday after the Kings' 121-82 blowout win over the Portland Trail Blazers. "Helping each other out. If I get a backdoor cut and somebody beats me, you have my teammate helping. At the beginning of the year, that would be a layup or something easy like that.

"So covering for one another, talking and being physical. We haven't played them since the beginning of the season, so it's going to be a lot different than what they've seen.">

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nb...n-tournament-steph-curry-deaaron-fox/1724561/

Kingster

Hall of Famer
My bias for this game is that I really hope that Brown and staff doesn't over-complicate the defense. How about if they play Curry straight up with Murray, Ellis and Mitchell for 90% of the game and throw in a blitz or double team on rare occasions so that it actually surprises someone. The Warriors offense thrives on the double-teaming of Curry if it is done on a consistent basis. Sometimes I get the feeling that the Kings' coaching staff throws in so many of these gimmicks to justify their existence rather than because they work so great.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Guard by committee? Yes, they have tried that on multiple occasions this year, along with moving/sudden traps. Fox has improved significantly as a defender this year, and could also be tasked with guarding Steph. He is right there with Mitchell in Defensive Rating on both NBA and Basketball Reference. Steve Kerr is crafty, and you know he is going to try to put Curry in at times when there might be a weaker defender out there.
But when it comes to the guard lineup there is no weak defender. Couldn't say that with Heurter and Monk in the lineup. Now if a Kings' guard get picked off the other guard should be able to hold up fine. Of course if Kerr manages to get say Curry on Barnes or Sabonis that's another story.:D

Davion Mitchell has a few incisive words on the improvement in Sacramento's defense since October:

<"I think covering for one another. We're kind of on a streak defensively," Mitchell said Sunday after the Kings' 121-82 blowout win over the Portland Trail Blazers. "Helping each other out. If I get a backdoor cut and somebody beats me, you have my teammate helping. At the beginning of the year, that would be a layup or something easy like that.

"So covering for one another, talking and being physical. We haven't played them since the beginning of the season, so it's going to be a lot different than what they've seen.">

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nb...n-tournament-steph-curry-deaaron-fox/1724561/
This team has been sooooo frustrating this year; however, the fact of the matter is that we won two less games than last year. Our record this year would have put us in 4th place last year. We were a lower level playoff team last year that somehow won the 3rd seed through a lot of weird happenstance. If the playin didn't exist, we would have missed the playoffs this year with one of the best records of all time not to make it in (https://champsorchumps.us/records/best-nba-regular-season-records-to-miss-playoffs). A super down year in the west, followed by a super up year in the west is truly strange.

If our defense is real, and it carries into next year, I think we are set up to view this season as one step back to take two steps forward.... at least that's my hope. There are some obvious issues with this roster, so a reconstruction in the offseason needs to happen around our core guys regardless.

My bias for this game is that I really hope that Brown and staff doesn't over-complicate the defense. How about if they play Curry straight up with Murray, Ellis and Mitchell for 90% of the game and throw in a blitz or double team on rare occasions so that it actually surprises someone. The Warriors offense thrives on the double-teaming of Curry if it is done on a consistent basis. Sometimes I get the feeling that the Kings' coaching staff throws in so many of these gimmicks to justify their existence rather than because they work so great.
I agree. Warriors will feast on a 3 v 4 with how they execute.

Last edited:

Moreso "play-in discussion adjacent" but thought this resonated well with me. This past Kings season was the SIXTH best year in the Sacramento era. So you bet your damn self Im going to be rooting my ass off for us to get a few play-in wins and get to a playoff series.
Exactly! Things can get toxic fast, especially with Twitter and fan boards. Could this season have gone better? Absolutely! Are there real questions for the team moving forward? Absolutely! But is this one of the best seasons in Sacramento history, and one of only two times in almost 20 years we made the playoffs? Absolutely! It is okay to be simultaneously happy and disappointed. I just don't understand the Carmichael Daves and Tim Maxwells of the world who are saying things like the season just needs to be over.

I will be there with you rooting like heck that this season keeps going. Nothing in life is guaranteed. Fox could get hurt next year, or we could take a step back, or any of us might not be around come the next season. But for now, we have a chance to beat the Warriors in a playin game and avenge last year. Hoping and rooting for the best!

Hopefully they can make it out of this mess. The top 3 teams in the west don't scare me. Just the Pels, Warriors and Clippers.
The Nuggets scare me more than two of the teams on your list.
Also, something tells me that OKC is gonna go out there and surprise a lot of people. I think they can make a pretty deep run. Not quite sure about the Timberpuppies, though. But I can definitely see OKC making some serious noise.

Not having Monk sucks but I like our chances to beat GS in a 1 game series. Wiggins has been average at best this year, kuminga been terrible since the injury, Looney destroyed Sabonis defensively last year but GS barely plays him now, GS has been leaning on TJD and Podz more this year but how will they play in a big game in the loudest arena…in other words GS has just as many obstacles to overcome as we do if not more.

I just hope we don’t fall behind early and play catch up as Fox tends to force things looking for fouls and I hope the moment isn’t too big for Ellis.