[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (MAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It's a bit discomfiting that Grant Williams was a poor culture fit on a team that is currently 40 games over .500, and a poor culture fit on a team that is currently 11 games over .500, but is a good culture fit on a team that is currently 35 games under .500. Actually, that in itself might be disqualifying.
Tatum defended Williams though, and I tend to trust his opinion on his own former teammates over the Celtics announcer's second hand locker room gossip. Also Dallas has Jason Kidd running the show who has already put a player in the hospital when he was the Bucks head coach and I'm not even going to get into all of the recent culture issues in that Dallas organization. Anyone who wants to know and doesn't already can Google "Dallas Mavs scandal" and read about it.

It's a bit discomfiting that Grant Williams was a poor culture fit on a team that is currently 40 games over .500, and a poor culture fit on a team that is currently 11 games over .500, but is a good culture fit on a team that is currently 35 games under .500. Actually, that in itself might be disqualifying.
Meanwhile his replacement PJ Washington turned from one of the worst defenders on the league to one of the best in Dallas (according to ratings), and some hours ago he was the main reason Wemby shot so poorly. However he still shoots quite bad from the 3 and hopefully he won't have a similar match against the Kings like the one he had when we faced the Hornets.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I feel a little bad for Metu. Kid spends the most productive years (to date) of his professional career in NBA hell in San Antonio and Sacramento, gets dumped by the Kings once they finally get good, appears to land on his feet as a rotational player on a contender in Phoenix, only to get traded to Memphis so that the Suns can get :: checks notes :: Royce O'Neal, and is now reduced to playing for DEEEETROIT BASKETBAAAAL!

I feel a little bad for Metu. Kid spends the most productive years (to date) of his professional career in NBA hell in San Antonio and Sacramento, gets dumped by the Kings once they finally get good, appears to land on his feet as a rotational player on a contender in Phoenix, only to get traded to Memphis so that the Suns can get :: checks notes :: Royce O'Neal, and is now reduced to playing for DEEEETROIT BASKETBAAAAL!
I like Metu, but his biggest problem is not understanding his limitations. That is one of the things that separates him from Lyles. Lyles has learned to play within himself, which keeps him from hurting the team when he is on the floor most of the time. If Metu ever figures that out, he will become a valuable role player.

On the Hoop collective I heard a crazy stat. When the Celtics hit 34 percent from 3 or better they are 46-3. When they shoot less than 33 percent they are 8-11
Defense and having three guys that can all score 20-30 is a huge plus when building a team that can play both ends on a nightly basis. While that's a pretty small variance even shooting that low overall and still winning near half your games is why they are a legit contender. They shoot 3's but don't rely on them and that said, they still average near 40% on 3's for the year.

Defense and having three guys that can all score 20-30 is a huge plus when building a team that can play both ends on a nightly basis. While that's a pretty small variance even shooting that low overall and still winning near half your games is why they are a legit contender. They shoot 3's but don't rely on them and that said, they still average near 40% on 3's for the year.
I guess I see it differently. If those numbers held to scale the Celtics would be a totally different team in theory. If they had 40 games where they shot 33 or less from 3 that would be a pretty dramatic swing in their record. The most consistent team from three this year from what I’ve seen is the Thunder. They are almost always 37-43 percent in games. I don’t have the time to look now but I wonder how many games the kings have shot less than 33 percent? I’d have to think it’s more than the 19 the Celts have.

I guess I see it differently. If those numbers held to scale the Celtics would be a totally different team in theory. If they had 40 games where they shot 33 or less from 3 that would be a pretty dramatic swing in their record. The most consistent team from three this year from what I’ve seen is the Thunder. They are almost always 37-43 percent in games. I don’t have the time to look now but I wonder how many games the kings have shot less than 33 percent? I’d have to think it’s more than the 19 the Celts have.
The averages are what matters mostly. They are being a bit selective with those numbers because they don't shoot that, they average near 40% from 3. The fact that they don't lose most of their games while shooting anything below that is testament to their abilities outside of the 3 ball. The Kings in contrast have shot an average of 32.7% from 3 in losses this season. The Celtics threshold is obviously down there with the Kings, but that 2 percent actually can mean a lot if you're dependent on them or not The difference between the Celtics and a team like Sac is that the Kings have more losses and have a higher likelihood of losing in every game played than do the Celtics.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So, did Ayton go back to the air mattress? Because he was cheeks tonight.
Plot twist: he finally got rid of the air mattress... because he got himself a new water bed?

(Bad) jokes aside, I like Ayton for some reason, and I want to see him figure this out. Blaming his poor performance this season on anything other than his own mentality and conditioning was already a bad sign. He makes over $30 million a year -- he should be able to get a decent mattress delivered anywhere he wants day or night with those kinds of financial resources. I think what he actually needs is a good sports psychologist.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
That’s what he said but I don’t believe it. 20 point lead in the third quarter is nothing in the modern nba. They have been slumping a bit and needed that win. Would be an incredibly stupid thing to do intentionally.
maybe the mindset was that its the Blazers, they aren't going to mount a come back anyway and it was his way to fuse a bit of life back into the team or perhaps it did none of it, only he knows

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I did some digging on Dunn and so far I found the following, he has more just in other jerseys

makes me think that he may be in the wrong sport, he always wants to throw down with someone

Status
Not open for further replies.