Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Drafting Willie Cauley-Stein

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • other?

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A roleplayer of Rondo's ilk is never going to look as good with a team of scrubs and kids as he is on a talented team. He's only 29, and entered the league the same year as Rudy. He doesn't have to be done at all. And now he's entering this season on a career making or breaking 1yr deal. There's plenty of things breaking our way on that deal, not the least of which being that we don't have Rick Carlisle as our coach.

Rondo. No other personnel change can potentially have as big an impact as him in the short term. We have to either make the playoffs, or be in the running most of the season for this off-season to be a success for me (making would be nice, but will be tough). While other changes will help, only Rondo has the potential to be a difference maker.

Tie between Belinelli and WCS. We haven't had a legit 3 point shooting threat since... Kevin Martin?? I don't even remember. If the NBA landscape really has changed, then we may end up using him... like a LOT. And you just can't deny the skills and height that WCS brings. Stoked!

Edit: forgot about IT lol :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And where did that get the Celtics other than a possible #1 draft pick, Celtics only started to make noise once they got rid of him, that's called empty stats and I have seen plenty off those types on the Kings the last 10 years or so.

Hopefully Rondo turns it around but I don't see how putting up pretty numbers and having near zero impact on winning (while having a negitive impact on Dallas also)with a "depleted"roster really says anything.
With a real roster it got them an NBA championship.

And where did that get the Celtics other than a possible #1 draft pick, Celtics only started to make noise once they got rid of him, that's called empty stats and I have seen plenty off those types on the Kings the last 10 years or so.

Hopefully Rondo turns it around but I don't see how putting up pretty numbers and having near zero impact on winning (while having a negitive impact on Dallas also)with a "depleted"roster really says anything.
This idea that one player is the reason that an entire team had a poor record is a disservice to your intelligence. Teams win games. Not individual players. There may be no better example of this than Cousins. Demarcus is an unstoppable force, the likes of which the NBA has rarely seen, and despite this the Kings havent cracked 30 wins in years.

This idea that one player is the reason that an entire team had a poor record is a disservice to your intelligence. Teams win games. Not individual players. There may be no better example of this than Cousins. Demarcus is an unstoppable force, the likes of which the NBA has rarely seen, and despite this the Kings havent cracked 30 wins in years.
I think what he meant was that if you look at that team win/loss column with and without Rondo- the Celtics did better without him, despite him recording good assist numbers.

With a real roster it got them an NBA championship.
Rondo was part of the roster not one of it's stars... in their championship season he was far from the "big 3" (and the fact they were called the big 3 and not 4 implies that).

In the finals that year Rondo played only 27 minutes and recorded 9.3 points (on horrid 37.7% from the field and 59.3% from the line), 6.7 assists and 3.8 rebounds- it's a nice stat line, but one that belongs to a role-player, for comparrison here is what the "big 3" did:

KG- 18 and 13 and the main guy on defense.
Ray Allen- 20.3 (52.4% from three), 5 rebounds ans 2.5 assits.
Paul Pierce- 21.8 points, 6.3 assits and 4.5 rebounds.

In the finals that year Rondo played only 27 minutes and recorded 9.3 points (on horrid 37.7% from the field and 59.3% from the line), 6.7 assists and 3.8 rebounds- it's a nice stat line, but one that belongs to a role-player, for comparrison here is what the "big 3" did:

KG- 18 and 13 and the main guy on defense.
Ray Allen- 20.3 (52.4% from three), 5 rebounds ans 2.5 assits.
Paul Pierce- 21.8 points, 6.3 assits and 4.5 rebounds.
The good thing is Rondo doesn't have to be a star. He's shown he can play alongside star players. In their championship season, Rondo averaged 38 MPG in 2 of their playoff series. I doubt they would give those minutes to a "role" player.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Its hard to understand how it is that Rondo's past accomplishments are being discussed as though he wasnt a big deal. He used to be one of the best players in the league!
Rondo never was one of the best players in the league....he greatly benefited from having three HOF players on his team taking the pressure off him and him strictly being a 4th option on offense and a facilitator. That's not to take away all his triple doubles he's had in the playoffs but let's not get carried away with this statement here.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Rondo never was one of the best players in the league....he greatly benefited from having three HOF players on his team taking the pressure off him and him strictly being a 4th option on offense and a facilitator. That's not to take away all his triple doubles he's had in the playoffs but let's not get carried away with this statement here.
To be fair, while he may never have been a super top-tier elite player, Rondo still made several all-star teams and put together a string of some of the most impressive postseason performances I've ever seen

Signing Kosta Koufos:

No doubt in my mind that this was the best signing we had. Another big man that can put up good numbers and defend is what we have been waiting for for a long long time.

I think Rondo's biggest contribution could be on defense this season. Most of the Western Conference teams have a pretty good PG. Rondo can slow down the likes of Curry, CP3, Lillard, Parker, Conley and Westbrook.

Signing Vlade Divac. The second time.
This. None of this happens without Vlade and all of the acquisitions are so 100% building a TEAM that I find it hard to choose. Each player, each piece, is unique and needed in their own way. Trying to pick just one move puts the job that Vlade has done into even sharper perspective. Amazing. Great teams are always greater than the sum of their parts. We had that once and Vlade was a part of that. He knows what that is like and is trying to recreate it. We now have a building block in DeMarcus that we have never had, and if he can put that kind of magic around him........ dayum.
Seriously, we are arguing about which move was the best...... meaning we have legitimate options to debate, all of which can be lobbied for. When was the last time that happened?

I think Rondo's biggest contribution could be on defense this season. Most of the Western Conference teams have a pretty good PG. Rondo can slow down the likes of Curry, CP3, Lillard, Parker, Conley and Westbrook.
Rondo can't even slow down the likes of Collison, Bledsoe, and Lawson. He's a terrible defender

Rondo can't even slow down the likes of Collison, Bledsoe, and Lawson. He's a terrible defender
4 All Defensive Teams, 2009/10 steals leader, 1 major injury and a weaker comeback season isnt enough to qualifiy Rondo as a terrible defender in my opinion.
Rondo will always be the point of controversy. Some think he is overrated, because he played with future hall of famers. Some think he is one of the few basketball players, that have great impact on the game without scoring the ball.
It's true - a team of mediocre players centered around Rondo won't win a title. But for me he is the perfect PG for a inexperienced team with star power. He is one of three floor generals currently playing in the NBA. And he is the only one, that was available, because he had a poor season and some issues with Carlisle.

4 All Defensive Teams, 2009/10 steals leader, 1 major injury and a weaker comeback season isnt enough to qualifiy Rondo as a terrible defender in my opinion.
Rondo will always be the point of controversy. Some think he is overrated, because he played with future hall of famers. Some think he is one of the few basketball players, that have great impact on the game without scoring the ball.
It's true - a team of mediocre players centered around Rondo won't win a title. But for me he is the perfect PG for a inexperienced team with star power. He is one of three floor generals currently playing in the NBA. And he is the only one, that was available, because he had a poor season and some issues with Carlisle.
Rondo hasn't played defense for 3-4 years said it himself. he talked big game when he was traded to Dallas about playing defense and that didn't happen

Rondo hasn't played defense for 3-4 years said it himself. he talked big game when he was traded to Dallas about playing defense and that didn't happen
This comment was related to playing alongside Avery Bradley and how he wasn't used to guarding the opponents best guard anymore and how his situation with the Mavs is different, cause he plays alongside Ellis.
Rondo is able to play defense when healthy and engaged. His playing career proofs it.
The question will be, if he fully buys in and gives full effort every night.
But the fact, that the Kings have enough star power to fight for the playoffs and are not a rebuilding team and the fact, that Karl is a coach known for giving his Pg's some freedom on the court, should make us optimistic, that we will see an engaged Rondo, willing to proof the doubters wrong.

All the major moves we have made have been very good. From a draft perspective, WCS is the player I wanted and we got him. Potentially, he is that player we have been crying out for next to Cousins for years.

Rondo on a 1 year deal to resurrect his career could be a master stroke for us. Rondo and Carlisle was not going to work. Rondo plays on instict and likes to have freedom on the court. Carlisle is a mictomanager who calls out every play from the sideline. That's a match made in hell if ever ther was one. With Karl, Rondo will get the freedom which should see him reclaim some of his damaged reputation.

Those would have to be my favourites but signings like Koufos, Bellinelli, Casspi and Butler have been very good for a number of reasons.

I LOVE the focus on size, defense and in Bellinelli's case shooting. Something that was very much missing for decade if not more.

This:

Dallas Mavericks Defensive Rating
Before Rondo’s arrival: 105.1 points per 100 possessions (28 games)
After Rondo’s arrival: 100.3 points per 100 possessions (7 games)

And this:

“I haven’t played defense in a couple of years,” Rondo explained. “I’ve been able to hide it a lot with Avery Bradley on the ball. He’s helped me out, the young guy. But here [in Dallas] they expect me to play defense. And in the West, if you don’t play defense you’ll get embarrassed every night at the point guard position. I took it as a challenge [for] myself.

Link to article---> http://www.boston.com/sports/basket...hasnt_played_defense_in_two_years_brad_s.html

Tell you what, if you still think Rondo cannot play defense when you actually see him suit up as a King then I will buy you a cold one.

Rondo is able to play defense when healthy and engaged. His playing career proofs it. The question will be, if he fully buys in and gives full effort every night.
But the fact, that the Kings have enough star power to fight for the playoffs and are not a rebuilding team and the fact, that Karl is a coach known for giving his Pg's some freedom on the court, should make us optimistic, that we will see an engaged Rondo, willing to proof the doubters wrong.
What's more, its his contract year and the salary cap jumps up next year by the time he becomes a free agent. Finally, Marco's signing was reportedly by his request. Basically, the stars are aligned for him, if he chooses to take the leap this season.

A roleplayer of Rondo's ilk is never going to look as good with a team of scrubs and kids as he is on a talented team. He's only 29, and entered the league the same year as Rudy. He doesn't have to be done at all. And now he's entering this season on a career making or breaking 1yr deal. There's plenty of things breaking our way on that deal, not the least of which being that we don't have Rick Carlisle as our coach.
This is exactly how I feel about Rondo. I'd also like to add that, even if he's a complete failure as a player, he's a 10 million dollar expiring contract, which would be a hugely valuable asset ahead of a free agent class that includes KD.

Wait what?
Just this last season he held Westbrook to 6-24. Also had a double double himself. Just 1. Example against one of the very best. That's just this past season
If you think rondo is a good defender when he's been a crap defender for 3 years, now than I don't know what to tell you.

All star rondo ain't walking through that door!

Entity

Hall of Famer
If you think rondo is a good defender when he's been a poopoo defender for 3 years, now than I don't know what to tell you.

All star rondo ain't walking through that door!
Maybe you are right maybe not. Just do one thing for me. base it on something other than your opinion. Obviously stats don't give YOU the answer. Also the excitement isn't all based on his defense for me. Would you like to argue over the fact that he is capable of dishing out 10+ assist on any given night?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Btw since you said he couldn't stop collison, Bledsoe, or Lawson. In his last meeting with each of those guys. They were 6-20, 6-15, 3-13. That's 15-48 for 31%. Westbrooks last meeting 10-32 and 16-52 over last two meetings.
Oh and for craps and giggles. Steph curry (you know MVP). 4-12 last meeting with Rondo. Exact same percentage 31% against the best two scoring pg's in the NBA today. So All-star defensive Rondo? Maybe not. Best defensive pg in Sacramento in at least 20 years more than likely.

In the aforementioned 6 games against collison, Bledsoe, Lawson, Westbrook (twice) and curry.
Rondo had 70 pts on 52% shooting with 25 reb and 50 ast

Last edited:
Maybe you are right maybe not. Just do one thing for me. base it on something other than your opinion. Obviously stats don't give YOU the answer. Also the excitement isn't all based on his defense for me. Would you like to argue over the fact that he is capable of dishing out 10+ assist on any given night?
If you want to spew these numbers out, numbers showed theta Boozer was a great defender with the bulls and we not the answer to that. Rondo already admitted to not playing defense for 2+ year went to Dallas and continued the trend. I'm not gonn get into his assists as he stat pads those till the playoffs where he gets aggressive. I just want rondo to be an average pg for us that's all in asking some of you think we signed old rondo and that's not the case

Entity

Hall of Famer
If you want to spew these numbers out, numbers showed theta Boozer was a great defender with the bulls and we not the answer to that. Rondo already admitted to not playing defense for 2+ year went to Dallas and continued the trend. I'm not gonn get into his assists as he stat pads those till the playoffs where he gets aggressive. I just want rondo to be an average pg for us that's all in asking some of you think we signed old rondo and that's not the case
You say spew as if if I'm cherry picking numbers from various years as you did with boozer ( I mean really you picked boozer from Chicago). I chose the most recent stats from rondo against the names YOU stated he couldn't stop.. I debunked YOUR list then added the two other best pg in the NBA. Not from 3-4 years ago but from the most recent game they played 5 months ago. You said he couldn't stop them I showed where he did. No spewing just continuing to make your opinion look more and more irrelevant.