Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Signing Marco belinelli

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Drafting Willie Cauley-Stein

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • other?

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
My personal favorite is signing Kosta Koufos! I love this guys' grit and tenacity on the defensive end. But I also like the Rondo move because it moves Collison down to the bench where he can be that 6th man. I love the Belinelli signing because he gives us an assassin behind the arc. And even though I like WCS's defensive skill set, my draft crush was Winslow, but I cannot hate on that selection.

However, I love the Acy signing. He's going to be a big part of the bench depth for this team!

I'm going with WCS the defensive potential him him and cousins is sky high. Every championship contender has one thing in common a juggernaut defender or most likely a rim protecter. That's what WCS can do I picture him as a 7'ft Draymound Green on defense. He will be able to switch onto teams who run pick and roll as well as defend the rim.

On Rondo I'm not sure how he will fit with the spacing. He did have some very good games for Boston last year so that's encouraging. I just hope he can average 9/8 in 30mpg for us.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
For me it has to be drafting Willie....he was exactly what the Kings team needed in the worst way and they haven't had since Dalembert, even though that was short lived. I've been touting for Willie to get drafted since I saw him first two seasons ago at UK and I kept telling myself..."I hope we have a chance to draft him once he declares" and that turned into reality. I'm looking forward to watching him develop and see what type of player he can mold himself into.

I would say WCS but we drafted him. It isnt like he really had a choice. Im going with Belinelli. He's a veteran 3pt shooter who we signed for fairly cheap and most recently played for the Spurs. He played for SA and chose to play for us on a relatively inexpensive deal. I remember when i found out we signed Belinelli and and then the next day we signed Koufos i was blown away.

K

KingMilz

Quincy missed the Amish beard, if LRMAM didn't fail his physical would have been him via landslide.

I vote Rondo. Easy to take it for granted in hind sight, but I was concerned all along that it was touch and go, and was afraid we might decline to overpay - and miss out. I'm glad we went for it. Guys that good don't sign in Sac as free agents. ever. It takes a career busting late/post season meltdown the prior year to even get Sacramento in the conversation. Good think we capitalized on it.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Mine is: Koufos and Casspi from FA; and WCS from draft.
I think I am about here, too. We have a quality big that can either start with DMC or be the primary backup (who isn't 6'9" tall and is known for being a good defender). Casspi was a no-brainer, if for no other reason than he and DMC's bond (attitude and morale and locker room presence). He's a hard worker and is energetic/full of fire on the court.

I hope the WCS pick pans out OK (health, etc.), as I think he could be a true difference maker, especially on defense. Very exciting to see how he fits in and makes his presence known.

I think in general Divac has done an excellent job in his very short time here and the other moves are generally positive as well. Not sold on Rondo, but let's give him a chance and hopefully it plays out like we dream it could.

I liked everything besides how they handled the PG position. I was fine with one bet in Rondo, but to have two bets in Rondo and Curry is risky. Should have either kept McCallum or gotten Miller because we knew what we were getting out of them. Hopefully Vlade and co. have done their homework and things work out of course.

I listed WCS as my favorite acquisition, but would change my answer to signing Casspi. He's the kind of guy that can sub in position 2-4, so he can take out anyone that's having a bad day.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
My favorite Kings signing is Marshall Henderson......said no one.
OK, sure, but is there really a need to get all snarky about a training camp invite? It's a training camp invite. We give out a good handful of them every year, lots of guys don't pan out, some do well enough to get a toehold, and the rare few (e.g. Matt Barnes) actually succeed. But there's exactly nobody in the front office counting on this guy panning out. Odds are we forget his name by November. Do we need to take shots at him in the meantime?

Mine was drafting Willie. It was right after the "DMC to LA" rumors heated up and things were in question but it showed me Vlade was 100% committed to building around Boogie. Not to mention it showed me that the person in charge finally valued DEFENSE, traditional winners, and great team characters, which was emphasized even more With Vlade's FA signings.

dude12

Hall of Famer
OK, sure, but is there really a need to get all snarky about a training camp invite? It's a training camp invite. We give out a good handful of them every year, lots of guys don't pan out, some do well enough to get a toehold, and the rare few (e.g. Matt Barnes) actually succeed. But there's exactly nobody in the front office counting on this guy panning out. Odds are we forget his name by November. Do we need to take shots at him in the meantime?
In response to your first question, yes. In response to your 2nd question, yes, I'm not a fan of this one.....even if its a training camp invite.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
In order:

Cauley-Stein
Koufos
Butler
Rondo
Bellinelli
Curry
Acy

If I were to count resigning Casspi I'd slot that 3rd after Koufos. I even loved the attempt to sign Mbah a Moute.

Outside of the pursuit of Bargnani I've pretty much loved every move Vlade has made. Well, I do have some reservations about Rondo but the only other realistic starter quality option was Beverley who would have likely had to be overpaid significantly to leave the Rockets for the Kings.

But if Rondo does pan out/returns to form somewhat the Kings should be in good shape.

In order:

Cauley-Stein
Koufos
Butler
Rondo
Bellinelli
Curry
Acy

If I were to count resigning Casspi I'd slot that 3rd after Koufos. I even loved the attempt to sign Mbah a Moute.

Outside of the pursuit of Bargnani I've pretty much loved every move Vlade has made. Well, I do have some reservations about Rondo but the only other realistic starter quality option was Beverley who would have likely had to be overpaid significantly to leave the Rockets for the Kings.

But if Rondo does pan out/returns to form somewhat the Kings should be in good shape.
Order is pretty much the same for me with Casspi 3rd and moving Rondo down to the bottom.

People are going to be absolutely stunned at how good our post defense will be next season. No one knows Koufos was a top 10 defensive C last season (albeit in limited minutes), nobody respects the strides Boogie made last year and WCS is a rookie so expectations will be low. If WCS can stick with the perimeter 4's, the paint is going to be absolutely shut down for 48 minutes.

Never been a fan of Rondo and he hasn't played even close to a high level for years now. The whole "world against me," playing with best bud Rudy, and this being his last chance at a real contract might be some narratives to watch out for, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Collison starting by game 40. I'll happily eat crow if he sets the league on fire next year, but for me, its a "see to believe" kind of situation.

Regardless, what this team has been missing since the glory days is having players where you could actually depend on a certain kind of production night in and night out based on their strength. Belli and Butler are proven floor spacers/vet leaders who have been there. Koufos is a proven defender/rebounder. Casspi now has 2 years of of numbers showing he's an extremely competent #7-#8 rotational guy who's great for team chemistry. Acy is a good locker room/cheerleader/fire up the team bencher. I think you could even add DC to this list since his role is completely changing from a #3 option to leading the second unit as one of the better subs in the NBA. Curry and WCS are good potential pieces.

For the first time in a long time, the pieces are here for it to work. Now we just have to figure out that whole "team chemistry and learn how to play with one another" thing that most teams do well.

Edit: Beverly would have been outstanding and he ended up being the best value contract, or at least one of the top 3, of the offseason. With him on board instead of Rondo, I would have zero reservations about this team being able to push for a playoff spot.

In order:

Cauley-Stein
Koufos
Butler
Rondo
Bellinelli
Curry
Acy

Who can pick just one:) I mean seriously when have the Kings ever added so much talent? Vlade did the work bringing in guys that have been there and done it.

I picked WCS as my fave but it could just as easily have been Koufos, Bellinelli or Rondo. If Rondo has recovered from injury and has the lateral quickness to stay in front of Paul and Curry things will get mighty interesting:)

What an interesting season we Kings Fans have coming up:D

I liked everything besides how they handled the PG position. I was fine with one bet in Rondo, but to have two bets in Rondo and Curry is risky. Should have either kept McCallum or gotten Miller because we knew what we were getting out of them. Hopefully Vlade and co. have done their homework and things work out of course.

I listed WCS as my favorite acquisition, but would change my answer to signing Casspi. He's the kind of guy that can sub in position 2-4, so he can take out anyone that's having a bad day.
Why Ray? He's not a good player he does nothing that's great. The poorest version of "Jack of all trades master of none" for a PG I have seen. Miller was a no go, he wants to play and with Rondo/Collison he wouldn't play much here.

I reckon that I am incapable of ranking the best offseason acquisition for the Sacramento Kings, I just believe that every player is adding a different dimension to this team, because every player will contribute something different which is suitable to his skill set.

But I do like to acknowledge the diligence of Mr. Vlade Divac, he has been working harder than anyone else in this league in the offseason, he was really able to make a tremor in this entire forum and also in some parts of this league with his tremendously magnitude acquisitions for the sake of this team, his aspiration and vision of what this team should look like is compatible with how the fans feel about this team, therefore, this integration between Vlade and the fans shall be fertile, and in the long run it will make the team better and better.

This team has been unhinged and feeble for over than a decade really, due to the inaction of the responsible factors in this team, which caused the inevitable hindrance of this team, but as for now, everyone can feel something different in the air, people feel that this season is going to be different, hopefully not only this season, but also a decade after it.

I do not want to prolong, so I am just going to wish us a very productive season, and with a view to finally making the playoffs and establishing our status as one of the strongest teams in the league.

Why Ray? He's not a good player he does nothing that's great. The poorest version of "Jack of all trades master of none" for a PG I have seen. Miller was a no go, he wants to play and with Rondo/Collison he wouldn't play much here.
I would have been O.K. with other options. My main irk is that we have two bets at the PG position and if Rondo just worst-case-scenario flat out doesn't work out at all we have a PG rotation of Collison/Curry, where I would rather have Collison/McCallum or Collison/Miller.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never been a fan of Rondo and he hasn't played even close to a high level for years now. The whole "world against me," playing with best bud Rudy, and this being his last chance at a real contract might be some narratives to watch out for, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Collison starting by game 40. I'll happily eat crow if he sets the league on fire next year, but for me, its a "see to believe" kind of situation.

Edit: Beverly would have been outstanding and he ended up being the best value contract, or at least one of the top 3, of the offseason. With him on board instead of Rondo, I would have zero reservations about this team being able to push for a playoff spot.
I feel very similarly with regards to Rondo. He's always been a very poor shooter which hurts floor spacing but since his injury he's seemingly also lost the things that made him special and useful despite his inability to make a jump shot. These days he reminds me of a bigger, slower version of Brevin Knight.

That and I thought Collison looked great for the Kings in the first half of last season, especially under Malone.

That said, the Kings were never going to get Brandon Knight or Goran Dragic. That left them with overpaying 6th man types like Reggie Jackson (who they likely couldn't woo AND who would've prevented them from signing one of the other FAs) or Lou Williams.

Rondo and Beverley were the only other starter quality PGs available unless you think Deron Williams being waived counts as "available" and also believe he's still starter quality.

After those two you're down to guys like Cory Joseph, Norris Cole and Delladova. I'm not sure any of them are even an upgrade from Andre Miller.

And while I like Beverley a lot he's basically a Randy Brown type - dogged defender whose worked to be a decent 3pt shooter. Not a playmaker or scorer and not a great ball handler either. He works well for Houston because Harden fills in a lot of those gaps. But Beverley/McLemore would be a pretty ugly backcourt.

I'm hoping for the best with Rondo but he's the one piece I'm most apprehensive about. But on the other hand the FA cupboard was pretty bare for PGs so I understand Vlade's gamble. Especially given that Rondo is close with Rudy and that Boogie holds him in such high regard.

We'll see. Go Kings.

I feel very similarly with regards to Rondo. He's always been a very poor shooter which hurts floor spacing but since his injury he's seemingly also lost the things that made him special and useful despite his inability to make a jump shot. These days he reminds me of a bigger, slower version of Brevin Knight.

That and I thought Collison looked great for the Kings in the first half of last season, especially under Malone.

That said, the Kings were never going to get Brandon Knight or Goran Dragic. That left them with overpaying 6th man types like Reggie Jackson (who they likely couldn't woo AND who would've prevented them from signing one of the other FAs) or Lou Williams.

Rondo and Beverley were the only other starter quality PGs available unless you think Deron Williams being waived counts as "available" and also believe he's still starter quality.

After those two you're down to guys like Cory Joseph, Norris Cole and Delladova. I'm not sure any of them are even an upgrade from Andre Miller.

And while I like Beverley a lot he's basically a Randy Brown type - dogged defender whose worked to be a decent 3pt shooter. Not a playmaker or scorer and not a great ball handler either. He works well for Houston because Harden fills in a lot of those gaps. But Beverley/McLemore would be a pretty ugly backcourt.

I'm hoping for the best with Rondo but he's the one piece I'm most apprehensive about. But on the other hand the FA cupboard was pretty bare for PGs so I understand Vlade's gamble. Especially given that Rondo is close with Rudy and that Boogie holds him in such high regard.

We'll see. Go Kings.
Good points there. Joseph had Ginobili, Cole had LBJ and Wade and Delladova had LBJ doing most the ball handling. Beverly/McLemore would have been an offensive nightmare for us.

Rondo might hurt floor spacing due to his poor shooting but he's getting 10 assists a game regardless so whatever he's doing seems to be working. Can't just say it's because he had KG, Allen and Pierce either because he was almost averaging a triple double last year with the Celtics with a depleted roster.

I would have been O.K. with other options. My main irk is that we have two bets at the PG position and if Rondo just worst-case-scenario flat out doesn't work out at all we have a PG rotation of Collison/Curry, where I would rather have Collison/McCallum or Collison/Miller.
What do you mean by flat out doesn't work out? The Rondo that got benched in Dallas is still much better than Curry.

K

KingMilz

Good points there. Joseph had Ginobili, Cole had LBJ and Wade and Delladova had LBJ doing most the ball handling. Beverly/McLemore would have been an offensive nightmare for us.

Rondo might hurt floor spacing due to his poor shooting but he's getting 10 assists a game regardless so whatever he's doing seems to be working. Can't just say it's because he had KG, Allen and Pierce either because he was almost averaging a triple double last year with the Celtics with a depleted roster.
And where did that get the Celtics other than a possible #1 draft pick, Celtics only started to make noise once they got rid of him, that's called empty stats and I have seen plenty off those types on the Kings the last 10 years or so.

Hopefully Rondo turns it around but I don't see how putting up pretty numbers and having near zero impact on winning (while having a negitive impact on Dallas also)with a "depleted"roster really says anything.