Boogie & Rudy's Excellent Adventure

The bigs are carrying USA and the guards all seem to be playing for themselves. One minute they look like world killers the next their mentality holds the team back. This has me worried if and when we play Spain in the final. Their 3 bigs are arguably better than ours(especially in the international style), so that game will turn into our guards trying to play hero ball. In a hostile crowd Spain could tear us apart.
Prior to today's game against Mexico I could have somewhat agreed with this. After today's game I fail to see Spain being favored against us. I think Spain is going to have to play perfect in order to be in the game. Our guys are going to be locked in.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Prior to today's game against Mexico I could have somewhat agreed with this. After today's game I fail to see Spain being favored against us. I think Spain is going to have to play perfect in order to be in the game. Our guys are going to be locked in.
On the contrary: I would say that this game exposed two things that could kill us against Spain. The first being our guards' proclivity for going into business for themselves, and take the bigs out of the game, and the second being lack of size among the starting bigs. Against, IMO, better judgement, it looks like Krzyzewski is going to stick with Fareid as the starter all the way down, and Ayon pretty much proved that any big with post moves is going to give Davis problems.

I still think that we'll win, but between our shoddy perimeter defense, and our guards' tendency not to share the ball on offense, I don't think that Spain would have to play anything close to a "perfect" game to beat us. If anything, our perimeter play may have to be immaculate for us to beat them.

On the contrary: I would say that this game exposed two things that could kill us against Spain. The first being our guards' proclivity for going into business for themselves, and take the bigs out of the game, and the second being lack of size among the starting bigs. Against, IMO, better judgement, it looks like Krzyzewski is going to stick with Fareid as the starter all the way down, and Ayon pretty much proved that any big with post moves is going to give Davis problems.

I still think that we'll win, but between our shoddy perimeter defense, and our guards' tendency not to share the ball on offense, I don't think that Spain would have to play anything close to a "perfect" game to beat us. If anything, our perimeter play may have to be immaculate for us to beat them.
The only thing that I think could push Spain over the top is the refs. Over the span of 5 possessions between both teams Jorge Gutierrez committed one foul and two very obvious traveling violations that the refs magically didn't see. If the refs allow Spain to play by a different, more forgiving set of rules than what they hold the United States to then we'll have a problem. Composure in the face of lopsided officiating is going to be paramount against Spain.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
They allow more physical play in FIBA so, yes, they might not "see" the fouls you're referring to. But, since they don't allow referees from the either of the two countries playing to officiate their games, I'm not worried about the referees. Having seen most of the games in the tournament, to this point, I've found the officiating to be consistent, if not what NBA fans are accustomed to.

I'm infinitely more worried about Irving, Curry, Harden and Rose's inability to stop penetration, or deny ball reversal.

They allow more physical play in FIBA so, yes, they might not "see" the fouls you're referring to. But, since they don't allow referees from the either of the two countries playing to officiate their games, I'm not worried about the referees. Having seen most of the games in the tournament, to this point, I've found the officiating to be consistent, if not what NBA fans are accustomed to.

I'm infinitely more worried about Irving, Curry, Harden and Rose's inability to stop penetration, or deny ball reversal.
I'm worried about the referees for what I perceive to be an anti-USA bias that the rest of the world has. It's the same reason that the crowd always cheers for whoever is playing against the USA. Even if you try to believe that the refs call these games evenly there's no denying that whoever plays against the USA always gets the benefit of the whistle.

I would love to see the next FIBA tournament be held in the Bronx.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm worried about the referees for what I perceive to be an anti-USA bias that the rest of the world has. It's the same reason that the crowd always cheers for whoever is playing against the USA. Even if you try to believe that the refs call these games evenly there's no denying that whoever plays against the USA always gets the benefit of the whistle.
I will absolutely deny it, because I don't actually believe it. With all due respect, it sounds like preemptive excuse making, to me. Just like HereWeVivek claiming that the "breakaway fouls" ruin the game, what you call other teams getting the benefit of the whistle, I attribute to players in other countries being far more familiar with the FIBA rules than we are. I don't feel that you can watch Harden get to the line as often as he does for that "stick the ball out" play that's actually a travel, and then say that we're not getting our fair share of the calls.

The reason why the crowd always cheers for whoever is playing the USA is because the number of fans from these countries who have traveled to Spain just to see the WC tends to outnumber the US citizens who have traveled to Spain just to see the WC by a factor that might get as high as 1000 to 1, depending on whom we're playing that night. Part of that is because Americans are not traditionally as interested in exploring other cultures as other countries are, part of that is because it's a lot cheaper to get from, say, Helsinki to Barcelona than it is to get from Sacramento to Barcelona. And part of that is because the US is, basically, the only country that's a member of FIBA whose players and fans all think that the Olympics is a bigger deal than the WC.

I would love to see the next FIBA tournament be held in the Bronx.
Sure, because it worked out so well in Indianapolis.

Great article and a fantastic 2nd half for Cousins.

Was a bit worried that getting those 2 quick fouls would hamper him for the rest of the game, especially when he didn't end up spelling Anthony at all in the 2nd quarter. But when he got the mid-3rd quarter call he flat dominated and didn't relinquish the Center spot until the game was a complete rout.

I hope that Cousins continues his strong play in the next couple of games and really brings it home with a dominant performance against Spain. If he does that, then the narrative which we have continued to see changing should be all but complete for the upcoming season.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Great article and a fantastic 2nd half for Cousins.

Was a bit worried that getting those 2 quick fouls would hamper him for the rest of the game, especially when he didn't end up spelling Anthony at all in the 2nd quarter. But when he got the mid-3rd quarter call he flat dominated and didn't relinquish the Center spot until the game was a complete rout.

I hope that Cousins continues his strong play in the next couple of games and really brings it home with a dominant performance against Spain. If he does that, then the narrative which we have continued to see changing should be all but complete for the upcoming season.
I thought it was a big deal when he picked up his second, and Krzyzewski didn't pull him, but instead let him play out the rest of his regular rotation. It looked like that paid dividends for his confidence in the second half.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
K

KingMilz

Big props to Cuz if I was ever critical off him it's the way he sometimes he played, but he's playing perfectly he's doing everything without the ball he should be doing and didn't really always do in his first few years. It would be nice if they actually gave him the ball since he's murdering everything in the paint, but it is what it is. It's crazy how insane effective he is just hanging around the rim shame we have never supplied him with any players to give him the ball.

Rudy started of shaky but did ok in the end

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Throughout this tournament, the three most consistently good players on Team USA have been Davis, Faried, and Cuz. Unfortunately, the perimeter-centric system means that all three guys have largely been reduced to garbage men-type guys (although, to be fair, that's just Faried's game in general). I really can't help but wonder what this team would look like with a Davis/Cuz/Faried rotation under a slightly less-"collegey" coach like Pop or even a van Gundy or two. There are times where plays seemed to be ripped out of the Don Nelson guard-chuck-a-rama Warriors playbook.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has said this but it would appear Coach K's supercharged Keith Smart offense has done wonders for Cuz's conditioning. The dude's never looked this ripped and trim before. Not bad for a dude who everyone thought was going to be the next Derrick Coleman/ insert other talented player beset by conditioning/attitude issues here. Or maybe I just got possessed by Aileen Voison for a second.

The only thing that I think could push Spain over the top is the refs. Over the span of 5 possessions between both teams Jorge Gutierrez committed one foul and two very obvious traveling violations that the refs magically didn't see. If the refs allow Spain to play by a different, more forgiving set of rules than what they hold the United States to then we'll have a problem. Composure in the face of lopsided officiating is going to be paramount against Spain.
I think there is a good chance that Spain is going to win the World Cup, 'cause Spain is the best team right now.
Obviously USA team is the most talented one, but they don't play as a team like Spain.
And under the basket Spain is even better than USA.

FIBA basketball is a little different from NBA basketball.
And USA players never played outside NBA, that's why USA players could have some troubles with travelling violations, for example.

Last edited:
The way I see it, USA plays the best defense by a wide margin. This makes us the favorite in my mind. If we play better than mediocre I don't see any chance for any other country to win it. Spain is very good, but don't try to tell me that they're the favorite. I wouldn't be surprised to see the USA come out focused and beat Spain by 20+.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I don't think that we've played anything close to the best defense. I would say that Spain, France and Serbia have played better defense by a lot. Aside from the friendly against Slovenia, we haven't actually played anybody yet. Frankly, we've struggled defensively against any half-disciplined offense, we're getting killed in the pick and roll, and our guards can't stop penetration. Offensively, our guards have been lazy and selfish; that might work against Finland and New Zealand, but it's not going to work when we meet real competition.

Just based on strength of schedule, you'd have to concede that Spain is playing better. I don't think Spain will beat us, but if they do, that wouldn't surprise me, either; those guys are really good, and disciplined, and have years of chemistry. We, by comparison, are just really good.

The way I see it, USA plays the best defense by a wide margin. This makes us the favorite in my mind. If we play better than mediocre I don't see any chance for any other country to win it. Spain is very good, but don't try to tell me that they're the favorite. I wouldn't be surprised to see the USA come out focused and beat Spain by 20+.
I don't think so, honestly.
You (as American, I suppose) didn't win by 20+ when you had LBJ, Kobe, etc etc.
Actually, I remember quite close games during the last two Olympic Games finals.
Right now, this is the last call to win a gold medal for the Spanish team. And they're playing at home.
Gasol brothers, Fernandez, Rubio, Navarro, Reyes,... They play together since years and years, USA team in completely different.
And you can see it. Basically, USA play horrible team basketball, but they're too much talented for any other team.
Anyway, I love DMC and I think he can be the key player in this match. At the same time, I think this Spanish generation deserve a gold medal.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I don't know if I agree that Spain "deserves" gold, but there's no question that they're good enough to beat us.

The "Group of Death" just went 4-for-4 in the round of sixteen. And Spain dominated all those guys. But yeah, I'm sure we're just going to run these guys over... :rolleyes:

I don't know if I agree that Spain "deserves" gold, but there's no question that they're good enough to beat us.

The "Group of Death" just went 4-for-4 in the round of sixteen. And Spain dominated all those guys. But yeah, I'm sure we're just going to run these guys over... :rolleyes:
It's the "group of death" for everyone EXCEPT the USA. Australia threw a game to Senegal just so they could avoid us in tournament play. If USA gives a consistent defensive effort with their feet it's an automatic game over for whoever happens to be the opponent.

Spain is playing really well and beating everyone they face by 20-30. The USA is playing somewhat poorly and beating everyone by 20-30.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Actually, I remember quite close games during the last two Olympic Games finals.
Right now, this is the last call to win a gold medal for the Spanish team. And they're playing at home.
Gasol brothers, Fernandez, Rubio, Navarro, Reyes,... They play together since years and years, USA team in completely different.
And you can see it. Basically, USA play horrible team basketball, but they're too much talented for any other team.
Anyway, I love DMC and I think he can be the key player in this match. At the same time, I think this Spanish generation deserve a gold medal.
Never underestimate the heart of our young group of players. You say they play "horrible team basketball" but they've just been together a very short period of time. They have lots of room for improvement.

NO TEAM "deserves" a gold medal without earning it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It's the "group of death" for everyone EXCEPT the USA. Australia threw a game to Senegal just so they could avoid us in tournament play. If USA gives a consistent defensive effort with their feet it's an automatic game over for whoever happens to be the opponent.
You're not only wrong, but you're loud wrong. It was called the group of death because of who was in it, not who wasn't. As has already been pointed out to you, we barely beat Spain, on a neutral court, and with a team full of superstars. And Barcelona is not a neutral site, and this team is short about ten superstars. I expect us to win, but there ain't gonna be **** "automatic" about it.

And Australia didn't throw the game specifically to avoid the US, they threw the game to give themselves a better chance at a medal; that means avoiding the top team in your half of the bracket until the semi-finals, which happened to be us. If they'd been in Spain's half of the bracket, they'd have thrown the game to avoid them, too. Australia wasn't trying to avoid us: they knew that they couldn't avoid us, anyway. They just wanted to put themselves in a position where they could lose to us and still have a 50 percent shot at a bronze medal. As opposed to losing to us in the quarterfinals, and having a zero percent shot at a bronze medal. What did you think was the real reason why Goran Dragic was so p***ed?

Spain is playing really well and beating everyone they face by 20-30. The USA is playing somewhat poorly and beating everyone by 20-30.
Except the difference is that we're beating the Sisters of the Poor, and Spain is beating real teams.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I'm going to agree with you on this one. I don't like the way our team is playing. Too much isolation basketball, and too much early shooting in the clock. The guards are either going to win or lose this thing for the US. So far, our perimeter shooting has been very inconsistent. We're winning for the most part by wearing down teams because of our depth. I doubt that will work against Spain. Right now, if I had to put money on the game, based on how were playing, I'd put my money on Spain. My preference would be for the team to play inside out, especially when Cousins is on the floor. Probably not going to happen.

K

KingMilz

If these guys were still in there primes I think USA would be trouble but Juan Carlos and some of these other guys aside from Marc Gasol and Ricky (who has always been crap) are kind of past it in terms of being int here primes.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
One more:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/09/08/cousins-is-u-s-wild-card-going-forward/?ls=iref:nbahpt3a

And that's Sekou Smith who I have been on ever since the failed All Star bid. One of the blindest of the blind regarding Cousins, but I think the critical mass may be being reached here where even the naysayers are starting to prepare their "in a surprise to everyone he's doing well" mea culpas. Assuming no major problems in the interim, that should widely clear the path for the All Star game and other honors this next year.

Liked that it was attached to a Cousins Top 10 plays of the year too. So many people just apparently sit around watching Heat and Clippers games every single night on TNT, and don't even realize what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Boogie in early today v. Slovenia, already making an impact on the glass and has 2 steals (one was really more of a block but since he came down with it they counted it as a steal)

His FT form has been a bit off this tournament. Hopefully he cleans that up.