Boogie & Rudy's Excellent Adventure

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
On a serious (and non-Seinfeld referencing note) this has to be a tough time for the Ukrainian team and for Fratello as coach given what is going on at home. Definitely hard to have complete focus on a basketball game for a lot of players I'm sure.
Vlade and Peja went through it, too. We had some Serbian fans who were following games from their basements or bomb shelters. Almost beyond belief.

Two notes:

1. Yes, Boogie was tired, but still put up decent numbers and more importantly, did NOT foul. A good sign of growth.
2. The Czar of the Telestrator is coaching Ukraine? When/how did that happen?

"You not say Ukraine is weak. You maybe say Ukraine play boring, slow paced offense".

On a serious (and non-Seinfeld referencing note) this has to be a tough time for the Ukrainian team and for Fratello as coach given what is going on at home. Definitely hard to have complete focus on a basketball game for a lot of players I'm sure.
One of the broadcasters (maybe Fran) said something like "This has to be tough for some of those teams. Some of those countries might not exist the next time these games are played." Yikes.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
One of the broadcasters (maybe Fran) said something like "This has to be tough for some of those teams. Some of those countries might not exist the next time these games are played." Yikes.
Yeah, I heard that. Kinda alarmist unless things are about to get real serious, but still. Ukraine had no more claim to this tournament than Finland did, but for different reasons would have been nice to see them advance.

I'm pretty sure your fears about Coach K's lack of knowledge about his players are totally unfounded.
Yea, probably. But i did see him throw Davis out there against Asik, who had his way with him. Although that game wasn't really meaningful compared to the Spain one if it happens

K

KingMilz

The way Rudy Gay has been tunnel visioning this whole tourney really has me worried that he's going to do the same thing during the regular season.

Cousins on the other hand has been super impressive the way he's playing getting deep post position, fighting on the offensive glass running the floor and moving off the ball shows the guy can play a multiple amount of ways and be super effective. Also against the Ukraine as soon as he entered the game all the post up's pretty much stopped while Davis was getting abused with his overrated defence by a 4th string C in the NBA.

It's easy to look tough in a open game like Davis/Faried do but as soon as someone challenges them at either end they are completely ineffective players. A combo of Cousins/Drummond would decimate the starting line up of Davis/Faired

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Taking the pool play 5 game totals and making them per 40 minutes to cut through the chaff:

AtDavis 30.7pts (.628 .000 .750) 12.4reb 1.6ast 1.9stl 3.5blk 0.8TO 3.5FL
KFaried 24.9pts (.791 .000 1.00) 14.1reb 0.7ast 1.4stl 1.8blk 0.7TO 3.2FL
Cousins 28.7pts (.655 .000 .725) 13.7reb 3.6ast 4.8stl 0.6blk 3.6TO 5.4FL

For the next time one of these "Cousins is struggling to adapt" stories comes out. I can provide you with a helpful list of colorful synonyms for idiot if you want to choose to email one of the writers.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The way Rudy Gay has been tunnel visioning this whole tourney really has me worried that he's going to do the same thing during the regular season.

Cousins on the other hand has been super impressive the way he's playing getting deep post position, fighting on the offensive glass running the floor and moving off the ball shows the guy can play a multiple amount of ways and be super effective. Also against the Ukraine as soon as he entered the game all the post up's pretty much stopped while Davis was getting abused with his overrated defence by a 4th string C in the NBA.

It's easy to look tough in a open game like Davis/Faried do but as soon as someone challenges them at either end they are completely ineffective players. A combo of Cousins/Drummond would decimate the starting line up of Davis/Faired
You really can't help yourself when it comes to Rudy, can you?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This author is a nothing, and I wasn't amused by the inaccurate David Thorpe quote either, but then I consider him an invertebrate too, nonetheless...:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-good-story-for-team-usa?ls=iref:nba:specials
While the article was complimentary, it was though he wrote it almost begrudgingly. That aside, along with a couple of ignorant quotes, its nice to see some of the national media take note of the fact that Cousins has arrived at the brink of stardom.

K

KingMilz

Taking the pool play 5 game totals and making them per 40 minutes to cut through the chaff:
AtDavis 30.7pts (.628 .000 .750) 12.4reb 1.6ast 1.9stl 3.5blk 0.8TO 3.5FL
KFaried 24.9pts (.791 .000 1.00) 14.1reb 0.7ast 1.4stl 1.8blk 0.7TO 3.2FL
Cousins 28.7pts (.655 .000 .725) 13.7reb 3.6ast 4.8stl 0.6blk 3.6TO 5.4FL

For the next time one of these "Cousins is struggling to adapt" stories comes out. I can provide you with a helpful list of colorful synonyms for idiot if you want to choose to email one of the writers.
Cousins has shown to be insanely effective playing off the ball which I thought was possible but not to this extent. I don't know which commentators you guys get in America but in Australia we get these one's that are on Eurosport channel (do Euroleague games) and you can tell they don't know much about Cousins, and the guy was literally raving about him how impactful he was and how impressive a man of his size 130kg (280+ pounds or so) could move like he does. So he was looking at Cousins with a completely unbiased eye and was pumping him up more than any of the other players in the small amount of time.

I love nothing more than seeing Cuz on the offensive glass with those grizzly bear hands snatching all the salmon up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Borderline incoherent, because its EJ (and I could not resist one more time smacking him in the comments), but another minor accolade from a previously grievously ignorant national media type. Now he only sounds partially lost and unprepared. Last year I doubt he could have told you what position Cousins played:

http://hoopshype.com/videos/usatoday/five-players-set-for-a-breakout-season

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Borderline incoherent, because its EJ (and I could not resist one more time smacking him in the comments), but another minor accolade form a previously grievously ignorant national media type. Now he only sounds partially lost and unprepared. Last year I doubt he could have told you what position Cousins played:

http://hoopshype.com/videos/usatoday/five-players-set-for-a-breakout-season
Eddie Johnson has long made Jerry look like a veritable basketball genius in comparison and this is no different.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think that is his style ever since. That is why no matter good he was, his teams never get to the finals and he always ended up getting traded for not so clear reasons.
As opposed to all the other dudes who've been on teams that went to the finals? I mean, I'm pretty sure Harden is the only guy on the current Team USA roster who's been to the NBA finals and that was playing third fiddle to Durant and Westbrook. It's not like the teams Rudy was on went on to win the NBA Finals once they dumped him either.

Yea, probably. But i did see him throw Davis out there against Asik, who had his way with him. Although that game wasn't really meaningful compared to the Spain one if it happens
Basketball isn't always about individual match ups. If there's any team in this FIBA tournament that shouldn't worry about individual match ups, it's us.

Unfortunately for the NBA, the pelicans (by acquiring Asik) have realized what team USA hasn't, that Davis is a PF. He can't guard the large centers. When you have cousins, why try it? Cousins can guard the big guys. That's his job.

Start boogie!

The bigs are carrying USA and the guards all seem to be playing for themselves. One minute they look like world killers the next their mentality holds the team back. This has me worried if and when we play Spain in the final. Their 3 bigs are arguably better than ours(especially in the international style), so that game will turn into our guards trying to play hero ball. In a hostile crowd Spain could tear us apart.