All-Purpose Reno Bighorns thread

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Why can't ee send Derick to Reno and call up this Kid? Ok seriously I am glad he is getting some PT even if it is with a crew of Chuckle Heads. I look forward to his return.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Moreland is showing a defensive mindset even in Reno, where I think the word "defense" is actually banned from use. I have the strong feeling we'll be seeing him back on the Kings bench before long. I'd personally send Derrick Williams home and let him watch the game from his couch, but that's just me. He contributes nothing to the "change in culture" while Moreland's attitude toward the game is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
After all he is virtually there now based on his game work or non-work. 3 fouls in 60 seconds!! Isn't that some sort of record?
I don't have an answer. I hope this achievement changes the way DWill is used. It wasn't too long ago when people were hoping DWill didn't okay. Certainly most of us should be in the same mind ser. Here's a guy making quit a chunk of change who at the least is confusing and at the worst, a loser. His play is amazing.

I wouldn't mind if he sat at the end of the bench and only got to play in garbage. I think the experiment has run its course. It's too bad.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
After all he is virtually there now based on his game work or non-work. 3 fouls in 60 seconds!! Isn't that some sort of record?
Amazingly, B-R lists 18 players who have recorded one minute or less in a game and committed three fouls. Better than that, the king of fouling is Marco Belinelli, who recorded FOUR fouls in one minute (actually 1:13) in a game in January of 2008. Of course, Williams committed his fouls in 0:39, or 13 seconds per foul, while Belinelli managed to go 18.25 seconds per foul in his four-foul game.

(Sorry, I'm not going through over 100 boxscores of players with 2+ fouls in <=1 minute to see if anybody has committed them faster than DWill...!)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not sure of this, so maybe the Capt can help me, but I believe that if your on an NBA roster, and you have more than three years in the NBA, you can't be assigned to the D-League. Which if true, would mean we couldn't send Williams down. Now its possible we could if he agreed to it. But as I said, I'm not sure about the rule. Too sick to take the time to look it up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not sure of this, so maybe the Capt can help me, but I believe that if your on an NBA roster, and you have more than three years in the NBA, you can't be assigned to the D-League. Which if true, would mean we couldn't send Williams down. Now its possible we could if he agreed to it. But as I said, I'm not sure about the rule. Too sick to take the time to look it up.
I don't want to see him to the D-League. I'd much prefer to send him to a distant star in a galaxy far, far away.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Not sure of this, so maybe the Capt can help me, but I believe that if your on an NBA roster, and you have more than three years in the NBA, you can't be assigned to the D-League. Which if true, would mean we couldn't send Williams down. Now its possible we could if he agreed to it.
The last part is correct. In fact, not only Williams but also the players union would have to sign off on any trip to the D-League.

Did Antoine Walker and Mikki Moore play in the D-League?

Wow, just watched 2 minutes of this crap on youtube online, and my eyes already hurt: Reno play full-court press with 2-3 players regularly not crossing middle of the court, because the other team throws up the shot by that time.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Did Antoine Walker and Mikki Moore play in the D-League?
Yes, but they were unsigned at the time. At some point over the past five years or so, they changed the rules in the D-League so that there's no longer a cap on how many seasons you can have played in the NBA, and still be eligible to play in the D-League. You just can't send a veteran down if he's signed to your roster. The only way that Derrick Williams could play in the D-League is if he gets waived outright, and is not claimed off waivers by anybody, or not until after he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

I like the new rule on one level, because that means that the D-League is closer to becoming a full-fledged farm league for the NBA, which could lead to the death of NCAA basketball, which would suit me right down to the ground. On the other hand, there's something I find slightly off-putting about seeing Damien Wilkins, a guy who made $18M in the NBA, being allowed to play in the D-League.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
This Grinnell offense is ****ing annoying.

Now, don't get me wrong: if the D-League were a fully independent minor league, then I wouldn't mind seeing a team that appears to be trying to score 130 a night. But, since it appears that they want to try and make it an actual farm league for the NBA, and since the Bighorns are wholly subsidiary to the Kings, you would think that they'd want the guys they send down there to be running an offense and/or a defense that's actually going to translate to what they'd be playing, should they get called up.

Having Damien Wilkins on the floor ups the level of play, which is always good. Moreland contests shots, but is always in the air. That won't fly in the NBA, he's nowhere close to being ready. Horrible from FT line - no consistency or touch. Tried a couple of moves with mixed results, he's good, when he doesn't turn it over. The only positive thing - moves the ball really well.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Damn, the PA announcer for the Bighorns doesn't even bother to say 'substitution', with the way this coach does things: he straight up calls it a 'line change.'

When guys just throw the ball out of bounds without pressure, having Damien Wilkins certainly increase the level of play by a mile...don't think I saw such bad plays from bad Div I colleges, not that watched a lot of those.
Broadcast crew just wondered, how is it, that Reno allows 60% from the field with most of those at the basket. :rolleyes: Do they even watch the game right in front of them? :eek::D

Last edited: