All-Purpose Reno Bighorns thread

How the hell so you put up 136fg
Their entire philosophy is to literally play no defense so that you can get the ball back as soon as possible. You also try to shoot the ball as quickly as possible rather than trying to work an offense for good shots.

Basically picture the "can't score if you don't shoot" coach from Hoosiers combined with the drunk coach, except he's added a massive cocaine addition now.

Their entire philosophy is to literally play no defense so that you can get the ball back as soon as possible. You also try to shoot the ball as quickly as possible rather than trying to work an offense for good shots.

Basically picture the "can't score if you don't shoot" coach from Hoosiers combined with the drunk coach, except he's added a massive cocaine addition now.
Just stupid how do we figure out who we can call up if we are doing that garbage.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Just like early Summer League games in Salt Lake City in the 80's and 90's, players only believe in showing shooting/scoring. Would have to bet that attitude/approach gets quashed in a hurry. But then again the new coach in Reno came from that kind of Div-II team that good defense was a better offense. If Kings influence gets in then we should see more "D" in the next few games otherwise I have to begin to agree with negative comments above.

Hopefully Moreland gets flowing and sets a strong defensive tone, which will start to rub off on the rest of the team and coaches
I think the problem is that there are explicit directions to not defend like that. The whole system is built on just trying to score by taking as many shots (preferably 3s) as possible. A player can't really influence the system as it's not built that way.

It will only be a matter of time before we start hearing jokes about it and it's a barrier to us developing young players or even attracting dleague players serious about making the nba.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Well poop on a stick, 13 out of 51 three pointers! I am no fan of the Grinnell system but it definitely doesn't work if you don't have players that can bomb threes. Bad for Moreland...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damm! There are probably only a couple of players on the roster that have any chance of making an NBA roster in the future, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it in the short term. I will agree that this concept is pure nonsense, and if we're truly trying to use our D-League team as a developmental tool, then things need to change. But for now, let him have his little experiment and see what the results are. If the Kings keep winning, or at least continue looking respectable and competitive, no one will care what happens in Reno. Too bad that what happens in Reno doesn't stay in Reno.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm embarrassed as a fan to be associated with this garbage it offends me as a fan and quite frankly pisses me off.
Mi amigo, if that's true, you seriously need to get a life. I might get embarrassed by forgetting to zip up my pants, but nothing that happens on a Developmental team is going to embarrass me, nor offend me.

Well, Sim only played a few seconds, and that's exactly the amount of time he can survive with such a pace. At some point Vivek will get a look at box scores, and would wonder, how is it, that his pet project is polishing benches for whole games. Then change will come.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, Sim only played a few seconds, and that's exactly the amount of time he can survive with such a pace. At some point Vivek will get a look at box scores, and would wonder, how is it, that his pet project is polishing benches for whole games. Then change will come.
Well, it might be a way to get Sim in shape. Just let him play for 5 minutes at a time, or however long it takes him to collapse. Or, if their serious about this letting 4 players play defense, and on player leaking out, why not just let Sim stand under the other teams basket the whole game. No, I'm not serious!

Okay, this is just flat out funny.
How so? That's not how you coach basketball on ANY level. It's worse than coaching kids to flop in youth leagues. There's a reason why it's called the NBA Development League. It's not like it's a separate basketball league.. it's for development of NBA players. Don't be surprised to see the coach out of a job next year. It's a disgrace way of coaching if you ask any basketball coaches. It's already tough enough to teach players how to have a correct defensive stance, let alone convince them to actually play defense... it's why you see all these players like Nik and Jimmer who can't play defense. Coaching like that ruins the game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah well the only similarity is that they both played at Gonzaga. I've seen him play and he aint nowhere near as great as his daddy was.
Unfortunately for David, he didn't even inherit his fathers height, or body. Even if he improves his overall skill level, with emphasis on his outside shooting, he would have to get a whole lot stronger to play in the NBA. I hope he proves me wrong. When your his size, you have to be a great athlete to get away with it. He's not!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
How so? That's not how you coach basketball on ANY level. It's worse than coaching kids to flop in youth leagues. There's a reason why it's called the NBA Development League. It's not like it's a separate basketball league.. it's for development of NBA players. Don't be surprised to see the coach out of a job next year. It's a disgrace way of coaching if you ask any basketball coaches. It's already tough enough to teach players how to have a correct defensive stance, let alone convince them to actually play defense... it's why you see all these players like Nik and Jimmer who can't play defense. Coaching like that ruins the game.
I don't think she was disagreeing with your premise, just your response. It's sort of like killing ants with a stick of TNT. And please, don't compare Jimmer and Stauskas. Stauskas if far more skilled than Jimmer was coming out of college. And he does play defense. Does he make mistakes? Of course he does. But I would argue that he's a better defender right now than McLemore was at the same time last season. Now that may not be saying much, but the reality is, most players coming out of college are going to struggle defensively for a while. To expect otherwise is to live in a fantasy land.

He's certainly putting in the effort, and for the most part, he's does a good job of staying in front of his man. Where he's really struggling is fighting through screens. He needs to get stronger, and he needs experience. He's getting picked on right now, and that's to be expected. What happens when a rookie cornerback comes on to the field in the NFL? Look, he's a smart kid that's a very hard worker. He'll figure it out.

I don't think she was disagreeing with your premise, just your response. It's sort of like killing ants with a stick of TNT. And please, don't compare Jimmer and Stauskas. Stauskas if far more skilled than Jimmer was coming out of college. And he does play defense. Does he make mistakes? Of course he does. But I would argue that he's a better defender right now than McLemore was at the same time last season. Now that may not be saying much, but the reality is, most players coming out of college are going to struggle defensively for a while. To expect otherwise is to live in a fantasy land.

He's certainly putting in the effort, and for the most part, he's does a good job of staying in front of his man. Where he's really struggling is fighting through screens. He needs to get stronger, and he needs experience. He's getting picked on right now, and that's to be expected. What happens when a rookie cornerback comes on to the field in the NFL? Look, he's a smart kid that's a very hard worker. He'll figure it out.
I was trying to compare the recent waves of players coming into the NBA that don't know how to play defense. All rookies struggle their first year, but many of Niks/Jimmers' struggles come from lack of understanding the basic fundamentals on defense. Defense is extremely challenging to learn and get down, but that's why it's taught overtime and throughout the span of someone's career. That's the reason why coaches need to continually teach defense despite level of competition or league. When you have coaches who decide that defense is not important, you end up with all these prospects coming into the NBA who struggle with defense.

Nik doesn't even have the appropriate defensive stance half the time when he's on his man. Nik has a really weird stance... he hunches over like a camel...It's part of the reason why the guy he's guarding is always looking to attack. Nik has the IQ and work ethic to improve on the minor problems of his on defense. I don't think Nik was taught properly at Michigan or any other programs he's been in. His other defensive problems are more physical than mental. I'm not concerned about Nik, but if he was actually taught how to play defense in his youth years, he'd be at least a decent defender in the NBA. Hitting the weight room will help him a lot.

Ben's mistakes in his rookie year were always mental. He'd get lost in various ways and it's not even worth talking about... I agree with you. Right now in Niks career, his defense is better than Ben's last year.

Why are they running an offense like that? Like what's the point? I would get it if the actual team was supposed to play like that but they don't. The kings team is built on ball movement, inside presence, and tough defense. Obviously execution isn't quite there yet but the idea is.

It's not good for a player like Moreland who we want to excel in half court defense

I just tweeted @SimBhullar2 about not being in Reno. Hopefully he's just on the inactive list. I didn't see him in any of the pictures on the Reno Bighorns Instagram and Facebook pages for training camp, but hopefully he's just conditioning right now. I just hope he's not wasting time.

I just tweeted @SimBhullar2 about not being in Reno. Hopefully he's just on the inactive list. I didn't see him in any of the pictures on the Reno Bighorns Instagram and Facebook pages for training camp, but hopefully he's just conditioning right now. I just hope he's not wasting time.
I think Bhullar would benefit from this.. Get his fat self up and down the court for conditioning. Bad thing is, he'd probably only last 5mins..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I was trying to compare the recent waves of players coming into the NBA that don't know how to play defense. All rookies struggle their first year, but many of Niks/Jimmers' struggles come from lack of understanding the basic fundamentals on defense. Defense is extremely challenging to learn and get down, but that's why it's taught overtime and throughout the span of someone's career. That's the reason why coaches need to continually teach defense despite level of competition or league. When you have coaches who decide that defense is not important, you end up with all these prospects coming into the NBA who struggle with defense.

Nik doesn't even have the appropriate defensive stance half the time when he's on his man. Nik has a really weird stance... he hunches over like a camel...It's part of the reason why the guy he's guarding is always looking to attack. Nik has the IQ and work ethic to improve on the minor problems of his on defense. I don't think Nik was taught properly at Michigan or any other programs he's been in. His other defensive problems are more physical than mental. I'm not concerned about Nik, but if he was actually taught how to play defense in his youth years, he'd be at least a decent defender in the NBA. Hitting the weight room will help him a lot.

Ben's mistakes in his rookie year were always mental. He'd get lost in various ways and it's not even worth talking about... I agree with you. Right now in Niks career, his defense is better than Ben's last year.
The main reason most of the college players that come into the NBA are poor defenders is because most of the good one's, or the one's with the potential are all one and done players. Back when almost all college players went to college for four years, they came in better prepared. Look at Kentucky last season. Loaded with talent, but with only two players on the roster with more than one year of experience. The rest were all freshman. While the talent is wonderful, its also a coaches nightmare. Trying to get a bunch of young 18 year old players that have never played together before, ready to compete on both ends of the floor, and hopefully make it to the final eight or better, is a tough job. It's not that the coaching is bad, its that there isn't enough time. Lets not forget, these kids have to go to school too.

In Nik's freshman year, he was 6'6"and weighed about 185 pounds. When he started his sophmore year, he had put on about 15 pounds of muscle or so, and he was an entirely different player on the court. His defense his sophmore year improved over his freshman year, but remember, in college, your not guarding Klay Thompson every night like you are in the NBA. There really isn't a way to truly prepare for the NBA. The players are bigger, faster, and stronger than just about everyone you faced in college. When you throw the experience factor in, any rookie is at a distinct disadvantage for a while. If Nik was to go to college for four years, he's come out a lot more experienced, and a lot stronger. But as my grandmother used to say, "IF" is for children.

Nik is here! He's a part of our team, and at the moment, he appears to be the whipping boy for some. I see other players on the team making the same mistakes he's making, just not as often. I watched Gay get beat off the dribble more than once last night. I saw Casspi get beat off the dribble last night. I saw Sessions get beat off the dribble way too many times last night. And yet, were beating up on Stauskas, a rookie, who I would expect to have problems, as though he's responsible for losing the game. Sort of like shooting a pheasant on the ground instead of waiting for it to fly.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I have no idea how he would play in such a junk system, except that it might not be impossible that this new nobody coach would actually bow to the owner's whimsy and just play 4 on 5 on defense and leave Sim at the other end. Why not if you are just ****ing around anyway.

If playing actual basketball bores you so much then maybe you should leave and go find something else you actually legitimately enjoy. this is the equivalent of the griefer who plays a videogame just trying to see if he can break it.