All-Purpose Reno Bighorns thread

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
On saturday, 1 November was the D-League draft for the coming season http://www.nba.com/dleague/draft2014/results.html

From that and previous signings, the Kings Reno D-League affiliate now has an interesting roster going into preseason from which the 12 finalists will come:

Reno draft 2014.jpg

11 Nov update.
D-League begins Friday 14 November and the final Reno roster of 16 includes these changes:

NO Kevin Foster, 6-2 guard from Santa Clara and Kysiean Reed, 6-6 forward from Utah State

PLUS assigned to Reno from Kings is Eric Moreland, 6-11 forward from Oregon State

A roster of 16 seems bit large so will check roster for first game and update

Last edited:
I'm glad Sim is getting some development time. I thought he was done period. I just don't see how you can have a development system and not give that guy a full year a shot. I heard some of you guys saying the coach is trash, I don't even know who he is though. They should put Moreland there as soon as possible too.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
The coach is from Grinnell, the system where they jack up threes and play no defense so they can get back out and jack up more threes...

I'm actually surprised that Ra'shad James hasn't got more of a look in the NBA. Appears to be a solid all around point guard.

Also, what happened to Burton? I was assuming he'd be on the Reno team

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
My money is on the Finnish guy with 4-5 years of Euro ball. But who knows. And Stockton is a big mystery with all those Genes but no significant interest that I know of. And Burton, yeah, thought he was destined for Reno but then maybe the Kings want them to "positionless" too without more than 3 real PG's.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If we had already sent him down, it would have cost another youngster a slot on the D-league, no? This way, we've still got control of Moreland while being able to look at more potential talent. Or at least that's how I see it...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well, we cut Bhullar, I don't know that we "sent him down," per se. Perhaps we cut him with the promise that we'd sign him to the Bighorns as soon as it were permissible?
I can only assume. An assignment in everything but name, and one that doesn't cost us an NBA salary or a roster spot. He's got an Indian owner invested in his making it to the NBA, hard to imagine him wanting to go to another situation if this one was offered.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, we cut Bhullar, I don't know that we "sent him down," per se. Perhaps we cut him with the promise that we'd sign him to the Bighorns as soon as it were permissible?
Bhullar is what is known as an "Affiliate Player". Each NBA team can designate up to four players off of their training camp/preseason roster as "Affiliate Players". What that means is that when they cut that player from the big boy squad, they own the D-League rights to that player. That player is an NBA free agent, so if another NBA team wishes to sign them to an NBA (not D-League) contract, they can. Obviously that player could also skip out on the D-League and head for Europe or whatever.

Basically, Bhullar belongs to our D-League team but not to us, and he's being paid on a D-League contract. If we wanted to play him, we would have to sign him to an NBA contract. Moreland is on our team with an NBA contract, so he's making the "big bucks". (Minimum NBA salary, but still!) Because Moreland doesn't have three years of service time, we can send him down to the D-League at will (and I suspect that we will do that), but he retains his NBA contract. That's the difference between the two.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Moreland came right out with 19 points. Do we get to see his block stats?
He had one blocked shot - the only one for the team. I don't think anybody was playing defense in that game at all. If you count up shots, TOs, and use the standard 0.44 multiplier estimate on free throws, there were over 300 possessions in the game. The average possession - before a shot, a turnover, or a foul - was about 9.1 seconds long. :eek:

He had one blocked shot - the only one for the team. I don't think anybody was playing defense in that game at all. If you count up shots, TOs, and use the standard 0.44 multiplier estimate on free throws, there were over 300 possessions in the game. The average possession - before a shot, a turnover, or a foul - was about 9.1 seconds long. :eek:
Unreal. Well, I guess Moreland will get plenty of opportunity to work on his offensive game. Maybe that's the idea, since if he was playing with the Kings he would have very little chance to do that?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I feel dirty just have such B.S. remotely associated with the franchise. Paul Westhead lives again, and basically makes the numbers anybody puts up for us worthless as analytical tools. I'm sure their agents will love it though when they go around pitching their client's inflated numbers to teams in South America or Asia who have no idea how they were accumulated.

Add me to the disgusted list. A complete and total waste of a resource. Vivek surrounds himself with smarter people. Sounds like he needs to surround himself with people that tell him when his idea sucks.

We should've just sent Moreland to Europe, or even China.. DL is just a waste of time. Even in preseason, how the hell does one score 158pts? Let alone have 135pts on shooting 39% WTF.