Who Goes? Who Stays?

People cannot bank our SF production on a few gamed Williams has played after the trade. History will show that every player "lifts" for a few weeks after the trade only to come back down to earth later down the track. Rmember when we traded Webber for the moveable pieaces? Well Kenny Thomas looked like a young version of CWebb and even had a triple double. Brian Skinner was playing by Bill Russell at one point giving us a double double with 2 blocks while he was filling in for injured Brad Miller and Collison was just putting up real pro numbers. Fast forward a few games and we are in real trouble.

Losing Gay will be a HUGE loss for us. Losing IT will not give us the proper return just like losing Tyreke only got us Vasquez. We already screwed up last off season so we are now on the watch. Cousins' and fans patience is running really thin
That's true, but I don't know about making decisions about every young talented player who hasn't found their consistency yet, based on what Kenny Thomas and Brian Skinner once did......or concluding that every player who has a good run after they're traded and then struggles, couldn't possibly rekindle that type of play later

They've got him assigned to summer league to work on things, which could mean they're going to give him another solid look as a starter. It will be interesting to see how it all develops and pans out

Kenny Thomas and Brian Skinner don't relate to Williams, not one bit. Rudy is obviously more talented than Derrick but also the ball gets very sticky in his hands and the offense becomes very predictable where as in Williams he's looking to push the ball hard off the rebound and find a outlet pass or take it all the way he also plays well off the ball looking to cut and finish through contact. Better fit is what i'm saying not so much better player.

Who goes, who stays? Ben McLemore. He goes as a starter and stays as the backup. The simplest and first move to make. The starter we don't have and a rookie from the draft is not the answer. Early trade needs to get us the journeyman starter, not an easy task but quite doable.

Who goes, who stays? Ben McLemore. He goes as a starter and stays as the backup. The simplest and first move to make. The starter we don't have and a rookie from the draft is not the answer. Early trade needs to get us the journeyman starter, not an easy task but quite doable.
Arron Afflalo Could probably be had for the 8th pick in some kind of deal but I still think Ben has the potential to be a very good player but patience will have to be exercised.

Kenny Thomas and Brian Skinner don't relate to Williams, not one bit. Rudy is obviously more talented than Derrick but also the ball gets very sticky in his hands and the offense becomes very predictable where as in Williams he's looking to push the ball hard off the rebound and find a outlet pass or take it all the way he also plays well off the ball looking to cut and finish through contact. Better fit is what i'm saying not so much better player.
Agreed. Sometimes "less is more" in terms of pure individual talent and how players will dictate a team's style of play and how they fit with the 'cornerstone' player. I have serious doubts about IT's and Gay's individual talents making our team better with Cousins as the cornerstone.

Also, the aspect that is a big question mark about Gay's talents, is that they haven't seemed to translate all that well against the other top forwards that he matches up with around the league

K

KingMilz

Agreed. Sometimes "less is more" in terms of pure individual talent and how players will dictate a team's style of play and how they fit with the 'cornerstone' player. I have serious doubts about IT's and Gay's individual talents making our team better with Cousins as the cornerstone.

Also, the aspect that is a big question mark about Gay's talents, is that they haven't seemed to translate all that well against the other top forwards that he matches up with around the league
I could not agree more I hope the team tries to aquire 2-3 starting level players rather than one statpadding low impact so called "superstar". We need to find solid players who can fit in rather than above average talents who chuck.

K

KingMilz

I have a real wildcard to throw in as far as a trade option, how about we maybe take a gamble on Danillo Gallonari + Wilson Chandler in a sign and trade for Rudy Gay (who the Nuggets might really want) + something minor.

Danillo is a smart player, streaky shooter and does a bit of everything (very decent playmaker) and for the most part is a team first sort of guy who will give effort at both ends. The downside is he is coming off a knee injury and we don't know what he will be like and also Wilson Chandler gives us a guy who can play as a stretch PF/legit SF/massive SG. Two big wings who can shoot is not bad if Rudy Gay want's to bail.

If we could net Mozgov in the deal as well that would be insane than imo. I think Mozgov and Cousins would fit, Mozgov is actually pretty mobile for a gaint and his shot is not bad I think he'd be way better for us than Asik that's for sure. With Mozgov/Cousins/Reggie we probably have the most physical frontline in the NBA or one of them.

C: Mozgov/Cuz
PF: Cuz/Mozgov/Evans
SF: Gallo/Ill Will
SG: Mclemore/Ill Will
PG: Playmaker/Razor Ray

Denver has since Melo left wanted a closer and Rudy Gay might be that guy for them to team up with star PG Ty Lawson.

That leaves us with Williams as a expiring talented player to trade as well as the pick and Landry (althought most teams would prefer JT). Which should allow us to net either a starting PG/PF.

Last edited by a moderator:
cuz will burn out on the defensive end chasing around stretch 4s since mozgov won't be able to do it. rudy has got to want to sign with denver in a sign and trade. my thoughts are that this will highly unlikely happen.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
people have to stop being so quick to dump Rudy Gay. He was a low hanging fruit, but we went after him on purpose.

Fact is Sacto = Suckto as far as NBA free agents are concerned. You have virtually no opportunity to sign a star in FA. At #8, its unlikely you will draft one. You traded away the other guy who could have sorta filled that bill last summer. So...Rudy is it. No matter how great he is or becomes, Cuz needs a #2. A #2, shooters, and defenders. That's the deal. Since Rudy is here, is undeniably talented, and since you don't have a clean way to get another, don't be trying to give him away. The Kings are not in a position to be giving away talent right now.

I have a real wildcard to throw in as far as a trade option, how about we maybe take a gamble on Danillo Gallonari + Wilson Chandler in a sign and trade for Rudy Gay (who the Nuggets might really want) + something minor.

Danillo is a smart player, streaky shooter and does a bit of everything (very decent playmaker) and for the most part is a team first sort of guy who will give effort at both ends. The downside is he is coming off a knee injury and we don't know what he will be like and also Wilson Chandler gives us a guy who can play as a stretch PF/legit SF/massive SG. Two big wings who can shoot is not bad if Rudy Gay want's to bail.

If we could net Mozgov in the deal as well that would be insane than imo. I think Mozgov and Cousins would fit, Mozgov is actually pretty mobile for a gaint and his shot is not bad I think he'd be way better for us than Asik that's for sure. With Mozgov/Cousins/Reggie we probably have the most physical frontline in the NBA or one of them.

C: Mozgov/Cuz
PF: Cuz/Mozgov/Evans
SF: Gallo/Ill Will
SG: Mclemore/Ill Will
PG: Playmaker/Razor Ray

Denver has since Melo left wanted a closer and Rudy Gay might be that guy for them to team up with star PG Ty Lawson.

That leaves us with Williams as a expiring talented player to trade as well as the pick and Landry (althought most teams would prefer JT). Which should allow us to net either a starting PG/PF.
In my view the SG you have in your starting 5 is just too big a weakness this next year. Please fix that one too. Catching the ball, handling thr ball, passing the ball, dribbling the ball - these are essential for us next season and Ben isn't near being their yet. Replacing him in the starting lineup with anyone who can do those things well is a 10 win improvement for us with almost any other three and Cuz. Otherwise your lineup looks pretty good.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
people have to stop being so quick to dump Rudy Gay. He was a low hanging fruit, but we went after him on purpose.

Fact is Sacto = Suckto as far as NBA free agents are concerned. You have virtually no opportunity to sign a star in FA. At #8, its unlikely you will draft one. You traded away the other guy who could have sorta filled that bill last summer. So...Rudy is it. No matter how great he is or becomes, Cuz needs a #2. A #2, shooters, and defenders. That's the deal. Since Rudy is here, is undeniably talented, and since you don't have a clean way to get another, don't be trying to give him away. The Kings are not in a position to be giving away talent right now.
Unfortunately, it's not within the Kings power to give him away or not give him away. Gay is holding all the cards, and PDA knew it when he made the deal.

preech it

K

KingMilz

In my view the SG you have in your starting 5 is just too big a weakness this next year. Please fix that one too. Catching the ball, handling thr ball, passing the ball, dribbling the ball - these are essential for us next season and Ben isn't near being their yet. Replacing him in the starting lineup with anyone who can do those things well is a 10 win improvement for us with almost any other three and Cuz. Otherwise your lineup looks pretty good.
We could start Wilson Chandler as a SG I guess than the guy has solid quickness for a SF

C: Mozgov
PF: Cousins
SF: Gallo
SG: Ill WIll
PG: PG via trade /draft

In that instance our worst starting player would be Wilson Chandler and he imo is a starting level SF (also great insurance for Gallo) in the NBA which is a massive upgrade over the last couple season where at least 3 of our starters were bench players and sometimes a couple of those were utter garbage.