Training camp roster/Media Day (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings Announce Training Camp Roster

Posted: Sep 25, 2014
SACRAMENTO, CA ---- The Sacramento Kings today announced their 2014-15 training camp roster, comprised of 18 players. Training camp begins on Saturday, September 27, at the Kings Practice Facility.

HEAD COACH: Michael Malone (College - Loyola (MD))

ASSISTANT COACHES:
Tyrone Corbin (College – DePaul)
Chris Jent (College - Ohio State)
Corliss Williamson (College – Arkansas)
Micah Nori (College - Indiana)

Assistant Coach/Director of Player Development: Dee Brown (College - Jacksonville)

Assistant Coach/Assistant Director of Player Development: Ryan Bowen (College – Iowa)

Director of Sports Science: Chip Schaefer (College – Utah)

Director of Sports Medicine: Pete Youngman (College - Ithaca)

Head Athletic Trainer: Manny Romero (College - Loyola Marymount)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Did we officially waive Alonzo Gee?

And I guess this means the Pietrus workouts etc. led to nothing?

Wish I knew which of our too many cooks was actually in charge, and what the plan was. I keep getting the disturbing feeling things are muddled with various camps pushing for various things, and then undermining each other.

Anyway, barring anything else happening Burton, Johnson and Wear would be the fodder/guys to watch to see if they can impress. I would think unless he really craters Moreland would make it at least as a retain and send down to Reno project. And Sim seems a pretty obvious candidate for that treatment too.

Last edited:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Two big resolutions to get done in camp: Collison vs. Sessions, and JT/Landry role(s). If Malone starts to favor the "positionless" ball approach then who is what doesn't matter as much. But we hardcore fans with our Pavlovian attitudes at the start of camp, want answers "I want answers! I want the truth!" You can't handle the truth!!!!

Yeah, thats likely the outcome we may see.

Two big resolutions to get done in camp: Collison vs. Sessions, and JT/Landry role(s). If Malone starts to favor the "positionless" ball approach then who is what doesn't matter as much. But we hardcore fans with our Pavlovian attitudes at the start of camp, want answers "I want answers! I want the truth!" You can't handle the truth!!!!

Yeah, thats likely the outcome we may see.

Pavlovian
[pav-loh-vee-uh n, -law-, -lov-ee-]

adjective

of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Pavlov or his work, especially of experiments inwhich he elicited predictable responses from laboratory animals.

It will all work out and then some. But to know now is not possible. Very interesting. Let's get on with camp and divvy up the season tickets. We are almost home.

K

KingMilz

I'm really hoping Moreland can just explode onto the scene with energy and blocks sort of like Sanders did 3 or so years ago, that to me would be one of the best outcomes possible, but sadly I still think he's a fair way off.

It's kind of interesting to see for the first time in a long time we got a number of guys who really will mix it up/talk smack and get under your skin to win in Cousins/Reggie/Moreland/Collison/Landry we got a fair amount of vet/raw toughness which we have not had in a long time. Lots of fesityness to go around during training camp I like it. Also what Wear doing on the training roster?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It's kind of interesting to see for the first time in a long time we got a number of guys who really will mix it up/talk smack and get under your skin to win in Cousins/Reggie/Moreland/Collison/Landry we got a fair amount of vet/raw toughness which we have not had in a long time. Lots of fesityness to go around during training camp I like it. Also what Wear doing on the training roster?
Casspi would belong on that list too. As would Nik "The Undertaker" Stauskas.

Our playoff hopes pretty much squarely rest of Nik and Ben's shoulders. We're deep at every other position with reliable production. Gay and Cuz will do there thing, I trust Sessions and Collison to fill in IT's production. Landry-JT-Evans at PF, while not ideal next to Cuz, will give us enough production at the PF spot, depending on what we need at the time. D-Will and Casspi at back-up SF is excellent as well.

So really, it's on Nik and Ben to take us from a fringe .500 team to a playoff contender. If we get 15 PPG and 38-40% 3pt shooting from them, I like our chances of doing good things this year. But if Ben doesn't progress and Nik struggles in the same way Ben did last season, I don't see a chance at the playoffs.

It was 49 wins to get the 8th seed last year, barring some unbelievable turnaround there's just no way that happens even if you move the goalposts a bit lower.

Ben would have to blow up at both ends of the floor and Nik would have to be ROY level. Not to mention all the other factors. But hey no one thought Phoenix would do what they did last year (didn't make the playoffs though)

I'd like to think this team can get 35-38 wins, but I've seen predictions from certain bloggers saying 24-26 wins. That would be a disaster.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Our playoff hopes pretty much squarely rest of Nik and Ben's shoulders. We're deep at every other position with reliable production. Gay and Cuz will do there thing, I trust Sessions and Collison to fill in IT's production. Landry-JT-Evans at PF, while not ideal next to Cuz, will give us enough production at the PF spot, depending on what we need at the time. D-Will and Casspi at back-up SF is excellent as well.

So really, it's on Nik and Ben to take us from a fringe .500 team to a playoff contender. If we get 15 PPG and 38-40% 3pt shooting from them, I like our chances of doing good things this year. But if Ben doesn't progress and Nik struggles in the same way Ben did last season, I don't see a chance at the playoffs.
It's why I keep saying that Sac is hedging against Nik and Ben struggling by signing Sessions and the ability to play Collison and Sessions and Ray together in a smaller backcourt. And while some say it would be dumb to not play Nik and Ben extended minutes, it would be dumb to play them extended minutes if they are having a negative effect on the court. The young SGs have to produce otherwise, how might our vets(Cuz) feel about running Te SGs out there if they are costing us games. That won't fly for a second year.

It's why I keep saying that Sac is hedging against Nik and Ben struggling by signing Sessions and the ability to play Collison and Sessions and Ray together in a smaller backcourt. And while some say it would be dumb to not play Nik and Ben extended minutes, it would be dumb to play them extended minutes if they are having a negative effect on the court. The young SGs have to produce otherwise, how might our vets(Cuz) feel about running Te SGs out there if they are costing us games. That won't fly for a second year.
This.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the CBA states that each team can have up to 13 players on it's active roster and 2 players on its inactive roster who can be optioned to Reno. In addition the last three training camp cuts can be assigned to the D-League affiliate assuming no team signs them to their active roster. So theoretically all 18 players can be kept though I don't see that happening.

I think it's close to a guarantee that Bhullar ends up in Reno this season Whether that's as an inactive part of the Kings roster or as a training camp I don't know. Probably should be the latter but I'm thinking it will probably be the former. Before the Sessions signing I figured Burton had a very good chance to make the team and take one of the two inactive spots in order to do stretches in Reno. He still might but 4 PG sized players is a bit much. My guess at the actual depth chart is this:

C Cousins/Thompson/Hollins
PF Evans/Landry/Moreland
SF Gay/Williams/Cassia
SG Stauskas/McLemore
PG Collison/Sessions/McCallum

with Hollins, McCallum and Casspi taking turns being the inactive player when there aren't injuries.

I DO think Stauskas will end up taking the starting SG spot. He makes the right play, is a more consistent outside shooter (which is a crucial aspect with Gay and Cousins needing the guards to spread the floor) and while Ben is much quicker and more athletic, Stauskas was in better defensive position more often in the summer league. If I'm wrong it means either Stauskas didn't play well in camp (not a good thing at all) or that Ben has made a leap in his game which would be a very good thing.

I don't really think PG will be a competition. Collison is the best choice and Sessions is a better player at this point than McCallum so Ray gets to continue to develop behind them or even in Reno for stretches.

PF to me is the position most up for grabs. Due to the lack of a backup center I think JT is probably not going to be considered as a starter at PF. Landry might but I think he's best off the bench and not a great fit with Cousins. If both of those are true then the battle really becomes Evans vs Moreland. And honestly, while Evans has a good work ethic, is a good rebounder and does the little things/dirty work to help a team win, I'm not sure he gives the team any more than Moreland potentially could. I can't see him starting at the beginning of the season as he'll still need to understand his assignments in the team defense, work on his place in the offense etc but especially since Evans is likely gone after this year, I definitely could see him pushing for a starting role after the all-star break.

Either way, if Evans or Moreland are starting I see JT and Landry as a very nice pairing off the bench. In fact the Kings bench overall should be pretty solid with Sessions and Landry providing most of the half court scoring, McLemore and Williams running the floor hard and having enough rebounding, passing, defense etc to play well against other team's backups.

As a Mizzou homer, I'm a little bummed to not see Alex Oriakhi on the list, but I see he's playing for Pieno žvaigždės of Lithuania now. I guess the Kings released him after Summer League? Never expected him to make the team, but enjoyed the connection to the Kings while it lasted.

I really like the idea of the depth chart being:
Collison
Stauskus
Gay
Evans
Cousins

Sessions
McLemore
Williams
Landry
Thompson

McCallum
Cassipi
Moreland

My hope is that Moreland improves enough to be a purely defensive 4 next to Cousins in the starting lineup.