There is no topic

Fact check: The map is not about specific state population numbers of any ethnic group who may or may not speak a native language (or second language to English or for that matter Spanish). As it shows, it's only individual 50 state listing of third most frequent spoken language other than English or Spanish.

Having visited Hawaii many times I can make add this fact about "native Hawaiians." Today there's around 400,000 who self-identify ethnically as native Hawaiian or partially such in the Aloha state. Out of that total around 140,000 claim 100% native Hawaiian ancestry. The number who now speak actual native Hawaiian-Polynesian language is estimated at under 1%.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Currently floating around the Interweb:

10 Commandments of Logic

1. Thou shall not attack the person’s character, but the argument. (Ad hominem)

2. Thou shall not misrepresent or exaggerate a person’s argument in order to make them easier to attack. (Straw man fallacy)

3. Thou shall not use small numbers to represent the whole. (Hasty generalization)

4. Thou shall not argue thy position by assuming one of its premises is true. (Begging the question)

5. Thou shall not claim that because something occurred before, it must be the cause. (Post Hoc/False cause)

6. Thou shall not reduce the argument down to two possibilities. (False dichotomy)

7. Thou shall not argue that because of our ignorance, claim must be true or false. (Ad ignorantum)

8. Thou shall not lay the burden of proof onto him that is questioning the claim. (Burden of proof reversal)

9. Thou shall not assume “this” follows “that” when it has no logical connection. (Non sequitur)

10. Thou shall not claim that because a premise is popular, therefore it must be true. (Bandwagon fallacy)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Oregon liquor laws make no sense. That is all.
(Minors not allowed in certain places after 6pm - what of the debauchery that exists at 530?)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Currently floating around the Interweb:

10 Commandments of Logic

1. Thou shall not attack the person’s character, but the argument. (Ad hominem)

2. Thou shall not misrepresent or exaggerate a person’s argument in order to make them easier to attack. (Straw man fallacy)

3. Thou shall not use small numbers to represent the whole. (Hasty generalization)

4. Thou shall not argue thy position by assuming one of its premises is true. (Begging the question)

5. Thou shall not claim that because something occurred before, it must be the cause. (Post Hoc/False cause)

6. Thou shall not reduce the argument down to two possibilities. (False dichotomy)

7. Thou shall not argue that because of our ignorance, claim must be true or false. (Ad ignorantum)

8. Thou shall not lay the burden of proof onto him that is questioning the claim. (Burden of proof reversal)

9. Thou shall not assume “this” follows “that” when it has no logical connection. (Non sequitur)

10. Thou shall not claim that because a premise is popular, therefore it must be true. (Bandwagon fallacy)
I'm pretty sure all 10 commandments are violated within each thread in "Kings Rap." This would sure be a quiet board if these rules were enforced.

Just wanted to throw this out here (and by no means am I looking for any favors, but a hint or tip would be wonderful)... I have recently graduated with a doctorate in physical therapy over here in central New York with a boyish dream to some day work for the Kings in some capacity or other. You could even say I chose this field due to my love of sports, basketball and the Kings being the number one choice by a large margin (clearly-- why else would I be on this forum half the day and at 2:15 in the morning). With the recent exchange of ownership and with a new arena coming along in a couple of years, I was hoping to get my foot in the door and contact someone from the organization and perhaps get a sense if they would be interested in someone like me (a physical therapist). What I wanted to run by you guys is if you have any recommendations as to who to contact (I have read up on the contacts list on the King's website and found the email for possible jobs).

I realize that my chances are as close to nonexistent as it gets, but if there is even a .000001 chance I can be involved in the King's organization, then I am going to see it through until all my hopes have been extinguished. I also realize sending a generic email with a resume and cover letter to a generic email address isn't exactly a recipe for success and will most likely be shoved to the wayside quickly or deleted altogether. Once again, I am not looking for any favors, but if anyone has a recommendation or two to send my way, I would be in your debt. Thanks!

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Just wanted to throw this out here (and by no means am I looking for any favors, but a hint or tip would be wonderful)... I have recently graduated with a doctorate in physical therapy over here in central New York with a boyish dream to some day work for the Kings in some capacity or other. You could even say I chose this field due to my love of sports, basketball and the Kings being the number one choice by a large margin (clearly-- why else would I be on this forum half the day and at 2:15 in the morning). With the recent exchange of ownership and with a new arena coming along in a couple of years, I was hoping to get my foot in the door and contact someone from the organization and perhaps get a sense if they would be interested in someone like me (a physical therapist). What I wanted to run by you guys is if you have any recommendations as to who to contact (I have read up on the contacts list on the King's website and found the email for possible jobs).

I realize that my chances are as close to nonexistent as it gets, but if there is even a .000001 chance I can be involved in the King's organization, then I am going to see it through until all my hopes have been extinguished. I also realize sending a generic email with a resume and cover letter to a generic email address isn't exactly a recipe for success and will most likely be shoved to the wayside quickly or deleted altogether. Once again, I am not looking for any favors, but if anyone has a recommendation or two to send my way, I would be in your debt. Thanks!
How do you feel about relocating? That would probably be the first step. (Congrats on the graduation, btw!)
After that, getting your foot in the door locally would probably help you towards accomplishing your goal - contacting high schools, etc. to build a network might be a good help as well. Teams sometimes outsource to good, local hospitals frequently - maybe that could be a route?

How do you feel about relocating? That would probably be the first step. (Congrats on the graduation, btw!)
After that, getting your foot in the door locally would probably help you towards accomplishing your goal - contacting high schools, etc. to build a network might be a good help as well. Teams sometimes outsource to good, local hospitals frequently - maybe that could be a route?
Thanks for the advice! I have thought about relocating and I would have done it already, but I have both my own family and my immediate family with me here in central NY, along with aunts/uncles/cousins (plus my wife's family). It makes relocating a bit difficult as we are reluctant to leave them and deny them the right to watch their little granddaughter grow up. However, the chances of relocating increase dramatically if something firm were to fall into place. I can attempt to contact local schools/areas and see what comes of it. Thanks again.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Ahh, the kiddos. That does make it harder. It's the reason we relocated from Delaware...aside from the fact that it's...Delaware.

Ahh, the kiddos. That does make it harder. It's the reason we relocated from Delaware...aside from the fact that it's...Delaware.
I am big on family and having grown up surrounded with family, I feel the need to continue that tradition with my own children. However, the area that I am currently in suffers from less than average pay, difficulty finding jobs (though I am lucky enough to have found a solid one), high taxes, and increasing crime/drug issues. Also, it is one of the most heavily pounded areas in the country in terms of snow during the winter time, which is getting old rather quickly. The main thing for me is to allow my daughter the best chance at growing up in a safe area with good schools while at the same time building on my career. Never even drove through Delaware, but doesn't sound like I missed much!

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Not to be a downer, but I believe all the physical therapists for the Kings are part of Kaiser Permanente.
Makes sense. I don't know that it's a downer, though. He could check the website for position availability, no? I mean, at least it's a direction.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Makes sense. I don't know that it's a downer, though. He could check the website for position availability, no? I mean, at least it's a direction.
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. If he can get on with Kaiser, at least he's got a foot in the door.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I think I am getting my wife hooked on Sherlock on Netflix. Just finished season 1, and I've seen season 2 but am working up to 3.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
So, we recently switched to DirecTV, and the "Genie" recommended this ABC Family show, Switched at Birth. And I had some time to kill, so I said, what the hell. Frankly, I found the show itself to be unremarkable: it basically seemed to be the typical YA/family melodrama, only with Deaf people (which is, admittedly, a fairly original spin on things).

However, comma, the episode the Genie recorded did guest star Marlee Matlin, so it had that going for it, which is nice. And, if I could borrow one of my favorite Kornheiser-isms for a minute... Marlee Matlin: Still Gettin' It Done! :D

Rant....what is a college graduate to do when nobody wants to hire them without real world experience and not just that, so many college degrees don't amount to anything and employers are looking for people who are skilled in specific trades. I mean, I don't know who can really relate on here about the current education system and the trouble for young adults in their 20's finding a prosperous career without paying an arm and a leg for a degree, which isn't even a guarantee for a good/livable paying life. Any input here about this topic would be fantastic.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Rant....what is a college graduate to do when nobody wants to hire them without real world experience and not just that, so many college degrees don't amount to anything and employers are looking for people who are skilled in specific trades. I mean, I don't know who can really relate on here about the current education system and the trouble for young adults in their 20's finding a prosperous career without paying an arm and a leg for a degree, which isn't even a guarantee for a good/livable paying life. Any input here about this topic would be fantastic.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Were you ever a recruiter, Mr. Citrus? How many people om this forum are Navy or ex-Navy? It's not the worst job in the world spoken by a Navy guy assigned to the Marines. I'd like to do it over as I missed some great experiences first time around.