The MMA thread

MMA and the UFC (are they related, the same, what?) are kind or replacing boxing. Boxing had it's day. I view this as a kind of evolution, an improvement, if you will, over boxing. Boxing is a dying sport.

It doesn't appeal to me, but I understand the fans. Such sports will always hold some sort of appeal.

My unprofessional reasoning behind the claim that boxing is dying? I would definitely watch MMA stuff before I watched a boxing match.

Last edited:
What is it that you love about MMA? Please tell me. Most MMA fans have a hard time telling what exactly it is that attracts them. All I hear is "damn that boxing match sucked. MMA over boxing any day!" But never any real explanations.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I appreciate both and think there is room for both. The jousting about which is better between fans of one or the other is pretty silly though and it would serve both sports' interests if there was more mutual respect between the fans.

What is it that you love about MMA? Please tell me. Most MMA fans have a hard time telling what exactly it is that attracts them. All I hear is "damn that boxing match sucked. MMA over boxing any day!" But never any real explanations.

The same reason people like boxing. It's a test of skills and brains. When two equally skilled fighters go at it, it's definitely like a chess match, but to the average viewer, all you see is two guys rolling around holding eachother.But to the trained eye, you see, submission attempts , counters, transitions , setup moves.

To me, MMA is more exciting because it uses ALL fighting techniques -- not just boxing. Sometimes the technical ground game is more exciting than a knock out!

If we're gonna keep going on about MMA, I'll split the thread and move the MMA stuff to the Other Sports forum. No biggie, just wanna give a heads up to everyone who might wanna keep talking about it.

Man, so much to talk about.

First off, no problem. I heard the news about NBA Entertainment coming to Sac, and passed it on. I heard SPECULATION on a date, but didnt really want to throw something out just to do it.

I could fill this entire page on why I love MMA. Ask me on my show or email me and I'll happily send you my many, many reasons. I grew up on boxing. Boxing is now a political joke practically devoid of talent.

And my favorite comments are from those who poke fun (not really even good natured) about my MMA coverage, talking to Faber, or being "taken seriously"

Listen:

I do not give a BLANK. I really don't. My ratings are just fine. I'm going on my fifth year doing this, and I'll be doing it the rest of my life more than likely, or until I get bored.

I will talk about what I want. Period. If it interests me, I will talk about it. If you don't like the subject, call the show, bring something up, and I will happily talk about that.

If I had to do another cookie cutter sportsy sports sports show 3 hours a night, I would flat out kill somebody. Not me. Never will be. I will talk about what interests me. If it interests you, awesome. If not, go away.

Seriously, if you don't like the show, DONT LISTEN. EVER. Please. I will never beg for listeners, and I will never care who's listening.

Check out my UFC viewing parties, or any other event I do. They are packed, always have been. The emails, texts, and calls tell me people are listening and having fun. That's all I care about, that its FUN.

The show is not for everyone. I don't fault anyone for not being into it, there are many other options out there. TV, other radio stations, outdoor living, jai alai, and painting.

The day I start shaping my show around what I think people want to hear, is the day I find another line of work.

If you want change, stand up and make it happen. Email my boss (mark.evans@cbsradio.com), copy this post, and add your own comments. Maybe your dreams will come true, and there will be a new alternative at nights.

I'd rather get fired doing what I love, than have a job being a faker. The only criticism that will ever, EVER bother me is that I'm phony, or going through the motions.

Thank you, and may God Bless Kingsfans.com

By the by:

Views for just a couple of MMA things I've done recently

Interview with Faber: 16,919

Interview with Chuck Liddell: 3,215

Goofy 1 minute bit with "little known" Joe Benavidez: 1,210

I just put those up 3 days ago.

Oh yeah: Interview with the Mayor: 35

http://www.youtube.com/carmichaeldave

That's just the youtube simulcast. You can see all those in audio/video form on the KHTK front page or my KHTK page, and the stream and download numbers are almost triple for each. Bringing web hits and click throughs to the station website, which is a big part of my job.

Believe me when I say, if you took all the other interviews the station has done over the last week, combined them, and added 14, they might, might, MIGHT equal the Faber listens from his bit ALONE.

So someone out there is listening. Maybe even two people.

But you're right, I should get rid of the MMA cause no one cares.

Now, if anyone is saying the coverage has been overly heavy recently, I agree. The WEC has left town, and we are moving on. I am actually excited to focus on the Giants, Tyreke (who will be on tomorrow, and by the way walked Faber to the cage Saturday), and how stupid the Raiders front office is.... :)

Wow, I was just arguing over what I thought was a better sport, MMA or boxing. I've never even heard your show, nor do I live in the sacto area. Great PR move by ranting and going off, Dave. Jeez.

When you go off the Internet telling people not to listen to your show if they don't like certain topics or things you're talking about then that is a direct PR move. And it doesn't matter how you slice it. Look, I have no reason to have anything against you, nor do I want to argue with you. So let's just leave it at that.

Damn meat heads. MMA and UFC suck! It's not better than boxing. The only reason people like watching the fights is to see some crazy knock outs. Well give boxers 3 or 4 ounce gloves and see how many knockouts there will be. It's a stupid phase that will die out soon. Not to mention how many fights end up being dominated by submission holds. Boring!
I used to be like you, until about a year ago I actually watched my first UFC event. Now I'm hooked. It's just so much more complex than boxing and unlike boxing you almost never feel like you've wasted your money buying a UFC/WEC event.

If you like boxing, and you give MMA a chance, I can almost guarantee you will become an MMA fan.

All baiting of the radio host aside... I tried it with an open mind and I don't care for it. But I'm older - that might be a factor. I was watching with guys in their twenties and thirties, and they were loving it - saying "anyone who prefers boxing to this is nuts".

I kept quiet. It just looked like a street fight to me with a lot of hugging. All the kicking and grappling doesn't do much for me. And there is the ignorance factor - I can't tell who is winning unless the announcer is explaining the advantage of the one guy's position.

It is simpler when you can tell that the guy getting hit the most is losing (unless he has a mental lapse and lets the other guy knock his head off) - simple as that.

The prospect of a guy getting his face smashed down into his opponents knee... feels overly brutal. Just not for me.

Give me boxing any day. Less quitting too.

CD and MMA = a new generation of talk show host and sport. Listening to the show tonight, I just realized I'm ... just ... old. Sounded like host and guests were having fun as I'm sure were the listeners. ribaldry... Don and Mike meets Jim Rome. it's ok.

Cheers CD - I hope you have a great career. No more attacks from me.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
All baiting of the radio host aside... I tried it with an open mind and I don't care for it. But I'm older - that might be a factor. I was watching with guys in their twenties and thirties, and they were loving it - saying "anyone who prefers boxing to this is nuts".

I kept quiet. It just looked like a street fight to me with a lot of hugging. All the kicking and grappling doesn't do much for me. And there is the ignorance factor - I can't tell who is winning unless the announcer is explaining the advantage of the one guy's position.
I once went to a Bernard Hopkins fight near the end of his run of dominance. To the boxing fan, Hopkins put on a clinic, goading his opponent to chasing him around the ring and peppering him with counters all night. It was likely a shut out on all 3 cards and an absolute no doubter to anyone who was familiar with Hopkins fight style.

But to many of those surrounding me in the bargain seats they had no clue what was going on. They jeered regularly throughout the fight and asked bemusedly who won.

I recall this because I think that despite the confusion of those in the crowd, boxing is relatively simple to follow. You can generally tell who is getting the best of the exchanges, who controls the fight and who is winning. Occasionally with guys like B-Hop or Winky Wright who were masters of the defensive game and making their opponents look bad the novice is confused but by the end of the fight its still pretty clear. And of course if you have the benefit of fight announcers who usually tell you in no uncertain terms who is winning. The judging is always questionable but you have to figure that those guys only see the fight from one perspective and don't have the biased announcers shouting in their ear.

MMA has a lot more variables going on, there are tons of subtleties in the ground positions and to the novice the guy with the advantage may not be obvious. This is even a problem with judging as if a round is completely on the ground they usually score to the guy on top even if the guy on the bottom controls the fight.

That said, it isn't that hard to learn all these nuances if you're willing to put a little time into it. Set the DVR to Spike TV for a week or two to record UFC Unleashed. Watch all the fights with the top fighters of their era and you can track the evolution of strategy fairly easily. And since you probably don't know who wins unlike say an ESPN Classic boxing match, its actually like watching something new.

Also this may not apply to the older guys, but anyone who plays video games can check out the UFC Undisputed series - the first game which was excellent is available pretty cheap now as the sequel is set to drop next month. While it is far from perfect the ground game is deep enough that you can get a basic feel for what is going on in each position.

Or I guess if its easier one can just resort to calling people meatheads because you don't understand the sport. Because meatheads definitely aren't in the crowd of every sport.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Not really a surprise. If Kimbo doesn't get you right away it isn't going to happen. Those first few slams by Kimbo were probably enough to insure we'll see him again.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Not really a surprise. If Kimbo doesn't get you right away it isn't going to happen. Those first few slams by Kimbo were probably enough to insure we'll see him again.
I think he will be a draw for UFC on Spike/Versus win or lose. He may be old, have bad knees, and not be the best MMA fighter, but he is a draw. Just someone you want to watch.

As long as you don't pull an EliteXC and put him as the head of your company, you should be good.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Dana isn't that stupid... plus he'd have to lose 75% of his roster to go there.
Im perfectly aware of that.

What I meant was Kimbo may be a draw, but a draw that you put on you low-end shows. Not the face which led to XC's demise.

And I know Dana knows that.

sho gun is amazing but when anderson silva is serious bout the 205 belt he is gone be in a world of hurt

and daley is out of the ufc he got cut amazing talent world class striker hope the best for him

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Good about Daley. That sucker punch was just bone-head stupid.

Also according to MMATorch.com, Dana says Kimbo is likely to be released as well.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Wow, Alistair Overeem. Tonight was the first time I have ever seen him fight and he impressed the hell out of me. Destroyed Rogers!

Overeem claims Fedor's management has been ducking him...If, errr, When Fedor beats Werdum, this fight needs to be made.