The MMA thread

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Oprostaj, you're being way too hard on Kimbo. First of all, there's no way in hell most people would watch TUF:Heavyweights with this crew if not for Kimbo. I have no interest at all in most HW fights, especially sloppy unskilled ones. The average TUF fighter gasses out by the end of the first round, HWs are even worse. Second how is Kimbo different than the 4 ex-NFLers? While I realize that there are a lot of skilled people who would kill for a shot on TUF the talent level has gone drastically downhill lately. TUF is the bottom for Dana, anything less than that and UFC isn't making money from it. Kimbo is fighting for a 20-30k per fight contract after headlining in Elite XC, that's a step down for him even if you don't see it that way. He should have never been headlining Elite XC but that's neither here nor there. He is a brand and he is marketable and it would be insane for UFC not to try to capitalize on him.

Oprostaj, you're being way too hard on Kimbo. First of all, there's no way in hell most people would watch TUF:Heavyweights with this crew if not for Kimbo. I have no interest at all in most HW fights, especially sloppy unskilled ones. The average TUF fighter gasses out by the end of the first round, HWs are even worse. Second how is Kimbo different than the 4 ex-NFLers? While I realize that there are a lot of skilled people who would kill for a shot on TUF the talent level has gone drastically downhill lately. TUF is the bottom for Dana, anything less than that and UFC isn't making money from it. Kimbo is fighting for a 20-30k per fight contract after headlining in Elite XC, that's a step down for him even if you don't see it that way. He should have never been headlining Elite XC but that's neither here nor there. He is a brand and he is marketable and it would be insane for UFC not to try to capitalize on him.

I agree with what you're saying, but it has nothing to do with what I've said. Kimbo should have started out here and fought his way up to headlining, which is what I'm saying. He got a free ride to the top because he was an internet phenomenon. Please understand what I'm saying - I hate the fact that an unskilled fighter from the streets was marketed as the next superstar when it was obvious he had no skills. That's all I'm saying. I didn't say anywhere he shouldn't be on the show, I didn't say they should stop marketing him. I'm entitled to my opinion, and that opinion is that he was coddled and given opportunities because of his internet wins against joke fighters. From what I've seen he's a decently likable person, but he was given a free ride.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't disagree but you leave out the important detail that Elite XC is not the UFC. They rightly went bankrupt largely because they invested so much in Kimbo and they hurt his credibility more than anything in the end.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Has the mostly boring TUF HW put everyone to sleep? No comments on Fedor's free fight or last week's card?

I was rooting for Rumble tonight but I gotta give big props to Kos for not taking a cheap win after the knee. Gutsy move and it paid off with an impressive finish. I still hope Hardy gets the shot as planned because I would like to see GSP smash him.

eta: Tito is a big baby, I think he forgot to mention a few of his other hurt body parts in his post fight excuse session.

Last edited:
Tito is still my all time favorite fighter, always will be. I had that fight scored the first two rounds for tito, but im not complaining about the decision. it could have went either way

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Kimbo Slice just won by unanimous decision!?

I expected the fight to go no more than one minute. In the end, I had it 28-28, with Kimbo having a 10-8 second round and two 10-9 drops.

He actually looked like a MMA fighter in round 2...Looking forward for whats next for him.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
-And Big Roy Nelson wins TUF10...I wanted Schaub, but he just got caught...I don't like Nelson, but he can take a punch and can lay that fat belly on your face and punch you out...Interesting to see what comes next for him.

-Bones Jones got DQ'ed (good call) but that guy will be a FREAK at his weightclass, and will be big. He was DESTROYING Hamill before the 12/6 elbows. Not to mention his freakishly long and lanky arms and legs.

-Sad to see Big Baby getting KO'ed...He has a good ground game, but zero standing...I see him retiring to his family and flowers before returning to the fight game. Sad again, because if he was 5 years younger he would be a serious prospect.

-Chuck Liddell Vs. Tito Ortiz for Season 11. Tito is always gold, and Liddell wants vengeance. Season 11 and the resulting fight should be a lot of fun.

And again. I can't wait to see what's next for Kimbo. I think he drops to 205 because he can't hang with the 260's heavyweights of Nelson or the other big HW's...

Maybe Kimbo/Forrest Griffin at some point?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Kimbo Slice just won by unanimous decision!?

I expected the fight to go no more than one minute. In the end, I had it 28-28, with Kimbo having a 10-8 second round and two 10-9 drops.

He actually looked like a MMA fighter in round 2...Looking forward for whats next for him.
I had it 29-28 via 10-10, 10-8, 9-10.

I knew Jones was being DQ'd for the elbows when they were calling him a winner, but after listening to the post-fights I wonder if he has an appeal coming his way if it was the shoulder injury that really caused the fight to end. I have been a Jones fan since I first saw him and that was a crappy way to lose, but that's why you can never throw an illegal blow in MMA because unlike boxing it almost always leads to DQ.

I didn't like Roy, but he was kind of funny tonight.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
This thread should be changed to "MMA thread" with the sure to come Strikeforce/WEC content sure to show up.

Anyways, of all the fights I have seen this year, Thomson/Milendez is my FOTY. The way these guys just stood and threw through an entire five round brawl was UNBELIEVABLE! I thought Thomson was going to pull the final second win once he had the mount, but it wasnt to be...Doesnt matter, though because this entire fight was pure awesome. Fight of the Year Candidate, easily.

And Cung Le...
Ive only seen blind highlights (meaning, I know nothing other that highlights) into this fight and I liked what I saw. Then I saw he was only 6-0...The first thing I said to my friends, "This guy has got to be a gimmick fighter."
For the first 2.5 rounds I was proven wrong as Cung whipped crazy kicks to every single portion of Smith's body, but then in one of the first stand up exchanges got KO'ed quickly...It may be Smith's forte, but it sucked to see Le get KO'ed after such a dominant performance.

Last, in the Strikeforce/WEC head-to-head, I watched 80% Strikeforce. Helluva show from San Jose tonight!!!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I understand that the MMA is coming to ARCO Arena. Is that true? Are any of you guys planning on going?

The reason I ask is that I might be able to set up a group (with a URL where you buy and then print your own tickets) if there is enough interest. I'd just have to check and see how many commitments I'd need for a possible discounted rate for you.

Anyone interested, send me a PM with how many seats you might want and I'll check into it.

Jacare was fantastic.

Melendez/Thompson was also fantastic.

But Smith/Le was the coolest thing I've ever seen in person.

Scottie's legend continues to grow. If you haven't seen the fight yet, I know you can get it on mmalinker.com and a few other places (legally). Make sure you check it out.

Kind of cool that an Elk Grove kid may get the top TWO fights of the year (vs Benji Radach as well).

Also, congrats to Joseph Benavidez as well. Knocking out Rahni Yaya in the first round didnt suck either.

Jacare was fantastic.

Melendez/Thompson was also fantastic.

But Smith/Le was the coolest thing I've ever seen in person.

Scottie's legend continues to grow. If you haven't seen the fight yet, I know you can get it on mmalinker.com and a few other places (legally). Make sure you check it out.

Kind of cool that an Elk Grove kid may get the top TWO fights of the year (vs Benji Radach as well).

Also, congrats to Joseph Benavidez as well. Knocking out Rahni Yaya in the first round didnt suck either.

cung le should have gone for the take down or circled further out

SLAB

Hall of Famer
-Wow.
A 47 year old should not look/fight like that!

-Cyborg is a she-beast. Who will beat her?

-Lashley beats another can. Sims looked less than 'in-shape'.

-I don't know how Lawler won. That was a phenomenal KO, and a early contender for KO of the year. I thought Lawler was done a minute into the fight.

-Diaz looked great. I wanted another headkick of DOOM, but Diaz was better, weathered a potential storm and ended it without much trouble.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I actually like Carwin, I think he has a good shot at Brock so hopefully Mir gets his butt kicked by Carwin and has to wait like 2 years for a shot at Brock who destroys him.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
As long as someone knocks the crap out of Mir.

I already disdained the guy, and now he's saying he hopes to kill someone in the octagon.

I just hope he flames out at some point, and flames out bad... Hopefully at the hands of Lesnar... Again!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I never had an issue with him in the past, but he should keep his mouth shut after running it all the way up to the 2nd Brock fight.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't know who I want to win tonight.

Frank Mir, so he trash talk his way to another @$$-kicking, then have a mental breakdown once he loses again.

OR

Carwin, so Mir doesn't even get to attempt Lesnar, and proceed to have a mental breakdown.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I like Carwin so I like Carwin tonight. I look forward to Carwin-Brock.

But I'm more interested in seeing Hardy get shut up.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I haven't followed it either, really. I am not a big GSP fan, nothing against him, but when a likeable person comes along I will root for an upset for sure. But Hardy is just another puffed up Brit with a big yap. GSP will probably turn it into an exhibition fight when I'd rather someone take his head off, but watching him get tossed around like a chew toy will be a nice consolation.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
HA!
Eat that Frank Mir, and may karma bite you further after hoping once to kill a man in the cage.

Lesnar/Carwin is going to be epic!

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I didn't really need to see that prelim fight again.
Word.
That leglock was unnecessary-ly long, and had zero reason to be played twice.

Just show more replays of Mir getting KO'ed to a montage of his trash-talk. Or just follow him around backstage to see his personal explosion! lol

SLAB

Hall of Famer
"Just because he walks to the octagon in his pajamas means he's a MMA fighter and Im not?" --- Dan Hardy

Oh I hope GSP maims you in less than a round as opposed to making you a wrestling-dummy/sparring partner for 5 dominating rounds.

Oy...That one pre-fight taunt has made me want to watch this fight.