The 2024 Playoff Chase Thread

It honestly might come down to how much contact MPJ has had with his brother over the last couple of months. Is it weird that the third string center on a terrible Toronto Raptors team literally betting on himself to suck might determine the postseason fate of the defending champions? Sure but that’s kinda how this season has gone.
Truly truly wild the lack of awareness some of these guys have. Jontay absolutely played himself into a contract next and probably showed enough to stick around the NBA for a couple years at least. And throwing that away for what? (comparatively) pennies?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Inspiring words from the Beard this morning. I’m sure Clippers fans are very pleased.
I don't think anyone can be that surprised. Anyone who has ever followed James Harden likely gets the same sense I do - he wants to win as all competitors do, but that's a distant goal to getting his money and accolades. As he nears the end of his career and he's no longer in a position to put up ridiculous stats that earn him bigger and bigger contracts, he's becoming less interested in putting in max effort to win.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Well i said we are going to be favourites , not sure 6th ... But surelly will be in better postion with the 2w here ...
and Mavs winning both at GSW looks a bit shaky as well ...
giving them both Houston games also, I mean some here are creating a nightmare panic scenario where Houston is going to sneak into the play in and knock us out but then we also have Dallas beating them twice.

Harden being old and out of shape is finally rearing its head.
And he's also doing some of that crazy stuff on the floor. The Clippers are a team that will only wake up in the playoffs, they're built that way and basically all their 4 big names have always been that type of player. They lose focus. In the playoffs they'll probably dominate some games and get blown out in others. They'll **** can a game here and there just for rest probably. That's a bad habit to get into but it's who they are.

We thought we had Golden State's number last year too. Things are different in the playoffs. It's more important (I think) that we finish the season strong and go into our first round matchup playing with confidence than we maneuver for matchups. Trying to duck the Pels shouldn't take precedence over winning the division and if we manage to win the division we should at least be in the top 6 since that would mean holding off the Suns as well.
I doubt it - Williamson is a Kings wrecking-ball for which they have no answer.

I could see the mavs getting the 5th seed. Their schedule is a piece of cake and they are good at beating bad teams. Maybe the kings can count on the pelicans missing ingram to slide or clippers who have been playing badly as of late.

I could see the mavs getting the 5th seed. Their schedule is a piece of cake and they are good at beating bad teams. Maybe the kings can count on the pelicans missing ingram to slide or clippers who have been playing badly as of late.
The Kings are (outside of tonight) playing well enough to just flat out take a spot without needing anyone to be injured. They've been top 5 or 6 most of the season so i'm still confident in that

The Kings are (outside of tonight) playing well enough to just flat out take a spot without needing anyone to be injured. They've been top 5 or 6 most of the season so i'm still confident in that
Both things can be true. Kings can play well along with other teams losing.
We certainly have the TALENT to be a top 6 (maybe even top 5) team in the West. That's not the problem.

The problem is that we've been so dang inconsistent all season long.

Frustrating...

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Both things can be true. Kings can play well along with other teams losing.
Also with all the talk about this game putting the Mavs ahead of the Kings for good, the Kings winning on Friday gives them the complete tiebreaker over the Mavs and for all the talk about the Mavs having a soft schedule, they have 4 games against the Warriors and Rockets (both teams fighting for that last play-in slot), the Heat, and finish the season against an OKC team that might be fighting for the number one seed.

Last edited:
Hm, one of the reasons perhaps? "The villain".
I think Udoka wants to make them be like the bad boys 2024 version, and that's what makes them dislikeable. Especially when they play as hosts they act really tough for no particular reason sometimes. Sometimes the refs tolerate that, that's why they had a huge difference home/away record till the middle of the season.

Considering the sheer volume of fun young guys on their roster (Amen!, Whitmore, Alpi!!!), the Rockets should not be as unlikeable as they are.

Rough night..

Suns
Warriors
Lakers
Clippers

All won

Either way the kings can only control what they can control. Just go out there and win. I think 8-2 will get the 6th seed for sure. Meanwhile 7-3 or 6-4 will probably be cutting it very close. Any scenario under 6 wins will not get the kings the 6th seed.

Bad couple of nights for us. Wish I were more optimistic.
That Mavs loss was pretty telling - I'd thought the Kings would split, but now I think they're gonna get steamrolled. The team folds when their shooting is poor for too long in a game. That was a Pelicans-type pasting - and the fact that the Mavericks are not gong anywhere either makes it that much more telling. Monk's future contract is taking a beating right now,.

Last edited:
My neutral view. It was sporting of Giddey to offer to help Jabari up.... but Jabari wasn't ready to be helped up and ignored Giddey's offered hand... upon which Giddey tried to pull Jabari up against his will... Brooks didnt like that and pushed Giddey away... and Giddey came back to protest despite having done wrong.

That tech should have been on Giddey only. Brooks didn't do anything wrong there except protect his teammate.

Rough night..

Suns
Warriors
Lakers
Clippers

All won

Either way the kings can only control what they can control. Just go out there and win. I think 8-2 will get the 6th seed for sure. Meanwhile 7-3 or 6-4 will probably be cutting it very close.
Yes 8-2 would get it done, but next to no chance of that . In fact there is a greater chance the Kings could melt down and miss the playoffs entirely than go 8-2. Its not too high either, but higher than going 8-2. Too much bed wedding - Kings are fodder. Every time you think you've seen their worst, they unpleasantly one-up you.