The 2024 Playoff Chase Thread

Mavs vs Thunder in the late game with no Luka. Hoping for Mavs loss.

I’m thinking the top 3 are going to be Nuggets, Thunder, Twolves. Clippers have a couple games separation but with Kawai out for a bit and their geriatric roster I think it’s possible they could slip. Pelicans are world beaters against us and an enigma against everyone else, 1 game back but more like 2 with them owning the tie breaker.

I’ll be rooting for Suns, Mavs, Clippers, Pelicans, Lakers and Warriors losses here on out.

Mavs vs Thunder in the late game with no Luka. Hoping for Mavs loss.

I’m thinking the top 3 are going to be Nuggets, Thunder, Twolves. Clippers have a couple games separation but with Kawai out for a bit and their geriatric roster I think it’s possible they could slip. Pelicans are world beaters against us and an enigma against everyone else, 1 game back but more like 2 with them owning the tie breaker.

I’ll be rooting for Suns, Mavs, Clippers, Pelicans, Lakers and Warriors losses here on out.
Kawhi leading the Clippers in scoring in Chicago right now.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I hate to say it but I think our chances of being a force in the playoffs increase with Ellis starting over Huerter.
I don't hate to say anything, Huerter needs to find his game back and being on the second unit might be the way. Keon gives us something we were lacking and has earned it. Possibly with Kevin moved back in the rotation he proves to have more value than "worst guy in the starting lineup" since Barnes seems to have solidified his claim on "second worst guy in the starting lineup" recently.

Dallas loses at Oklahoma, moving down to the 8th place with 38-29, one game far from the Kings that have better h2h as well (winning twice at Dallas, there are 2 matches to be played in Sacramento later this season).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I thought to look over tiebreakers today just for fun, may as well talk about that here. Obviously we're not likely to end up in a tiebreaker with several of these teams but I'll go ahead and include teams currently +/- 7.5 games (the distance to the #1 Nuggets).

Nuggets: KINGS win tiebreaker (3-1 H2H).
Thunder: Kings lead 2-1, win tiebreaker with a win at OKC 4/9. Otherwise likely Kings on conference record.
T'Wolves: KINGS win tiebreaker (2-1 H2H).
Clippers: Clippers lead 2-1, win tiebreaker with a win at Kings 4/2. Otherwise likely Kings on division record.
Pelicans: PELICANS win tiebreaker (4 H2H wins already, 1 game to go).
Mavericks: Kings lead 2-0, win tiebreaker with a win at Kings either 3/26 or 3/29. Otherwise likely Kings on conference record.
Suns: Tied 2-2, winner of game at Kings 4/12 wins tiebreaker.
Lakers: KINGS win tiebreaker (4-0 H2H).
Warriors: KINGS win tiebreaker (2-2 H2H, Kings guaranteed to win on better Pacific Division record)
Rockets: ROCKETS win tiebreaker (3-0 H2H)

I hate to say it but I think our chances of being a force in the playoffs increase with Ellis starting over Huerter.
I don't think this is really a knock on Huerter though. It's just a reality of how our squad has developed. We need Keon's talents more than Huerter's at this point.

Doesn't mean Huerter can't be great in a bigger USG role off the bench. Monk has to sustain so much of that units offense, Huerter taking a scoring load would be huge.

I don't think this is really a knock on Huerter though. It's just a reality of how our squad has developed. We need Keon's talents more than Huerter's at this point.

Doesn't mean Huerter can't be great in a bigger USG role off the bench. Monk has to sustain so much of that units offense, Huerter taking a scoring load would be huge.
Keon's impact is big enough now where the whole "the Kings stood pat" narrative should change a bit IMO. Even with Duarte and eventually Sasha hitting some big shots down the stretch and hopefully come playoff time. I'm manifesting it all

If (and this is a big if) we beat the teams we should beat, and we split the two home games vs Dallas, I think we finish top 6.

Phoenix has an awfully hard schedule.

Phoenix and Dallas both have more road games left than home games, while we have more home games left than road games.

There’s a chance we push for fifth, but with how close everyone is, we could easily fall short via tiebreaker.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

The bench often lacks firepower other than Malik. On nights when Monk doesn't have it going that unit really suffers. But if we can have a 2nd unit that is essentially Davion, Monk, Huerter, Lyles and Len (or Vezenkov and Lyles if we go smallball) then that fixes a lot of issues.

I don'r care I count kings as having the best chance to avoid play-in (stupid thing, tbh), and the biggest threat for the teams currently #4 and #5 in the West.
Domas game picked up a notch. Others are healthy, should play to their capabilities or above, not bellow.
Sure, some tough teams ahead, bur some very mehhh teams too (that's like 70%-80% L according to the early season exploits of our beloveds.
Play every game with the head on the shoulders and not like farming worms in their arse holes :)

The bench often lacks firepower other than Malik. On nights when Monk doesn't have it going that unit really suffers. But if we can have a 2nd unit that is essentially Davion, Monk, Huerter, Lyles and Len (or Vezenkov and Lyles if we go smallball) then that fixes a lot of issues.
I am a fan of starting Keon over Huerter, but I think there is a risk that you lose Kevin entirely, and that can't be understated. You often hear the "it isn't who starts, its who finishes" mantra, but the truth is that Kevin wouldn't be starting (Keon) or finishing (Monk). He would basically be the 3rd SG on the team, with most of his minutes coming as a small ball three. He probably wouldn't see more than 15-18 minutes (probably the role played by Keon/Duarte when we are healthy). I am fine with that from a winning in this season perspective, but I do think you have to factor in the risk of having Kevin check out completely, not play well, and tank any remaining trade value. He didn't play well of the bench earlier this season.

If (and this is a big if) we beat the teams we should beat, and we split the two home games vs Dallas, I think we finish top 6.

Phoenix has an awfully hard schedule.

Phoenix and Dallas both have more road games left than home games, while we have more homes games left than road games.

There’s a chance we push for fifth, but with how close everyone is, we could easily fall short via tiebreaker.
19 -12 home
19 -15 road

Not sure the usual advantages play out for this Sac team. For example I would much rather see Denver on the future schedule than Houston. We can’t stop Vassell to save our life.

I think one of Barnes or Huerter should come off the bench as both do a great job coming off Domas and all of Barnes, Huerter and Keegan can’t do it all at once.

I am a fan of starting Keon over Huerter, but I think there is a risk that you lose Kevin entirely, and that can't be understated. You often hear the "it isn't who starts, its who finishes" mantra, but the truth is that Kevin wouldn't be starting (Keon) or finishing (Monk). He would basically be the 3rd SG on the team, with most of his minutes coming as a small ball three. He probably wouldn't see more than 15-18 minutes (probably the role played by Keon/Duarte when we are healthy). I am fine with that from a winning in this season perspective, but I do think you have to factor in the risk of having Kevin check out completely, not play well, and tank any remaining trade value. He didn't play well of the bench earlier this season.
Possibly, but it is what it is. Keon looks like a real potential answer to getting some quality defense in next to Fox/Sabonis. Monk has developed into a legit offensive weapon. Keegan is still up and down, but he's maintaining a much larger offensive workload this year that demands more shots.

Reminds me a bit of the David Lee/Dray situation with the Warriors. Not that we're talking about the same caliber of player, but just putting a guy with Dray's talents with Steph/Klay just erupted that squad into a dynasty. Lee wasn't bad, at all, but he just wasn't the same fit to make Steph/Klay better.