Terry being traded to Houston

According to Sam Amick, Kings used Isaiah Thomas trade exception (3.6 millions - base year compensation) to get Gee/Hopson.
And Kings get a 5.8 millions trade exception for Terry's salary.

Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey announced today that the team has acquired Jason Terry from the Sacramento Kings. In addition to the veteran guard, the Rockets will acquire Sacramento’s 2015 2nd round pick if it falls between 31 and 49, and New York’s 2016 unprotected 2nd round pick. In exchange, the Rockets will send forward Alonzo Gee and guard Scotty Hopson to the Kings. NBA.com

Rumors tagsHouston Rockets, Sacramento Kings, Trade, Jason Terry, Alonzo Gee, Scotty Hopson
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.7amHSdAo.dpuf

I don't know why ESPN would say the Kings are getting the second round picks? It seems real clear to me that the Kings are GIVING UP the two picks to Houston

ESPN says the Kings are getting the 2nd round picks. Still not sure what the details are with the trade.
PER ESPN
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Houston Rockets have acquired guard Jason Terry and two second-round draft picks from the Sacramento Kings for guard/forward Alonzo Gee.

The Kings also received guard Scotty Hopson and a trade exception from Houston in the deal announced Wednesday.

The 37-year-old Terry started last season with Brooklyn and averaged only 4.5 points in 35 games. He was moved to Sacramento at the trade deadline and didn't play the rest of the season as he recovered from a left knee injury.

Terry played in Boston in 2012-13 after eight seasons in Dallas, where he was named the league's Sixth Man of the Year in 2009 and 2011. Gee and Hopson came to Houston as part of a three-team trade in July that also brought Trevor Ariza to the Rockets.

Ah ESPN corrected it. This is what they had.

"
The Houston Rockets have acquired guard Jason Terry from theSacramento Kings for two second-round draft picks and guard/forward Alonzo Gee.

The Kings also received guard Scotty Hopson and a trade exception from Houston in the deal announced Wednesday.

The 37-year-old Terry started last season with Brooklyn and averaged only 4.5 points in 35 games. He was moved to Sacramento at the trade deadline and didn't play the rest of the season as he recovered from a left knee injury.

Terry played in Boston in 2012-13 after eight seasons in Dallas, where he was named the league's Sixth Man of the Year in 2009 and 2011. Gee and Hopson came to Houston as part of a three-team trade in July that also brought Trevor Ariza to the Rockets."

OK Ready for next steps:

Wait for Kings to waive Alonzo Gee and Scotty Hopson

Wait for kings to Use 5.8 Mil trade exception for a Shot Blocking Defensive Big (might have to wait until feb)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ok, if I have this right:

1) trade Terry + 2016 New York 2nd rnd pick + our 2015 2nd rnd pick if it falls between 31-49 (kid of reverse protection, we only get to keep it if its useless)

for

$5.8mil trade exception

2) trade $3.6mil trade exception for Alonzo Gee and Scotty Hopson non-guaranteed deals

So we traded for a bigger trade exception, and 2 guys who have no contracts unless we want them too. With that out of the way, if we've got something in mind for all this, camp is 2 weeks away, and there is no longer any reason to wait. I sincerely hope its not just a sign our new owner is running out of money too.

Ah ESPN corrected it. This is what they had.

"
The Houston Rockets have acquired guard Jason Terry from theSacramento Kings for two second-round draft picks and guard/forward Alonzo Gee.

Terry played in Boston in 2012-13 after eight seasons in Dallas, where he was named the league's Sixth Man of the Year in 2009 and 2011. Gee and Hopson came to Houston as part of a three-team trade in July that also brought Trevor Ariza to the Rockets."
Suuuuuuure
J/K

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Ok, if I have this right:

1) trade Terry + 2016 New York 2nd rnd pick + our 2015 2nd rnd pick if it falls between 31-49 (kid of reverse protection, we only get to keep it if its useless)

for

$5.8mil trade exception

2) trade $3.6mil trade exception for Alonzo Gee and Scotty Hopson non-guaranteed deals
Technically, not quite. We first traded the two picks (our 2015 second wasn't really "reverse protection", it's just that we had already traded away the other bits) for Gee and Hopson, and absorbed their contracts with IT's $3.6M trade exception. That allowed Houston to get far enough under the cap to take Terry without trading anything back, which created the larger $5.8M trade exception we now hold.

So we traded for a bigger trade exception, and 2 guys who have no contracts unless we want them too. With that out of the way, if we've got something in mind for all this, camp is 2 weeks away, and there is no longer any reason to wait. I sincerely hope its not just a sign our new owner is running out of money too.
There is all that rumor swirling around about Tibco being for sale, etc. On the other hand, we practically begged Rudy to pick up a $19M option. If Vivek were going to Maloof around with the roster, I don't think he'd beg a $19M player to opt in.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Wait for kings to Use 5.8 Mil trade exception for a Shot Blocking Defensive Big (might have to wait until feb)
Yeah, that would seem unlikely. From a quick comb-through of the league, it looks as if there is a grand total of one SBDB that would fit into that exception that a team might be willing to simply dump as salary that would be worth taking: Bismack Biyombo. Even then, the Hornets have no real reason to dump salary as they would appear right now to be under the salary minimum.

Other guys that might kinda fit the bill:
Timofey Mozgov (overweight at summer league)
J.J. Hickson (not a shotblocker...and RUN AWAY)
Samuel Dalembert (Knicks plan to use him, could be an option at the deadline if they are going to miss the playoffs, but on a one-year deal what's the point?)

And that's about it. Just not much out there.

If Vivek were going to Maloof around with the roster, I don't think he'd beg a $19M player to opt in.
Technically, you could have a $19M player and still have a cheap Maloof salary floor roster. A better example that shows that Vivek isn't being cheap is that the Kings are still well over the cap and have been flirting with the luxury tax for quite some time.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Technically, you could have a $19M player and still have a cheap Maloof salary floor roster. A better example that shows that Vivek isn't being cheap is that the Kings are still well over the cap and have been flirting with the luxury tax for quite some time.
That's the point though -- we WERE flirting with the cap, and then every move for the last 2 months has been us slowly backing away from it. And hey, why spend millions you don't have to. But nonetheless, none of the moves have actually made us any better on the court, and in fact we've waived most of the things coming back. So, either 1) we're trying to get some room/flexibility to do something that will help on the court; or 2) all of this has solely been about finances.

That's the point though -- we WERE flirting with the cap, and then every move for the last 2 months has been us slowly backing away from it. And hey, why spend millions you don't have to. But nonetheless, none of the moves have actually made us any better on the court, and in fact we've waived most of the things coming back. So, either 1) we're trying to get some room/flexibility to do something that will help on the court; or 2) all of this has solely been about finances.
1) and 2) aren't mutually exclusive. The team flirting with the hard cap simply left them no wiggle room and there is NO reason to pay the luxury tax for a non-playoff team. The help on the court is hopefully addition by subtraction, remains to be seen but I'll be in for league pass again to find out.

I'm confused about the trade exemptions. I thought the one we got for IT was close to 7MM. Now we have part of that left and a 5.8MM?

Can someone clarify please?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Well, in a sense finances have to play into it at some level. I'd be a lot more concerned if we were actively dumping players that are any good. But the moves so far have used minor assets to dump dead money. Outlaw/Acy for Ellington/Tyler wasn't a great savings - in total we saved about $2M (and shaved about $3M off the cap this year) and it cost us Acy, but he's kind of redundant with Reggie Evans in town. Terry/2 seconds for Gee/Hopson is pretty much a no-brainer. We save $5.8M, and more likely than not we can buy second round picks in the range of what we gave up for about $1M a pop if we really like a guy. When you look at the sum total, we saved nearly $8M, and the assets we gave up were one redundant minimum salary player and a couple of picks that might not even turn out to be in top ten of the second round. And that's $8M we can turn around and spend on something useful. (Like Ryan Hollins! :rolleyes:)

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I'm confused about the trade exemptions. I thought the one we got for IT was close to 7MM. Now we have part of that left and a 5.8MM?

Can someone clarify please?
Well, I'd like to clarify, but I'm not really sure. It has been reported that the trade exception for IT was only $3.6M (due to arcana, don't worry) and that we absorbed both Gee and Hopson with that trade exception. Of course, Gee and Hopson are collectively making $4.4M, so that can't be what happened. I don't really keep track of these things, but it's possible that we had a ~$1.5M trade exception lying around that we could have used to absorb Hopson and then we used the IT trade exception to absorb Gee. (Edit: Yup, it was the Thornton trade exception, which was worth $2.4M.)

At any rate, we did get a $5.8M trade exception back by not receiving any salary for Terry, and IT's trade exception would appear to be more or less gone. Since trade exceptions can't be combined, the remainder of the trade exception probably isn't worth much at any rate.

Last edited:
Looks like Scotty Hopson will be waived today so that he can sign with a club in Italy

So is Alonzo Gee next?
It may seem like a little thing, but this little detail can help down the road. It was the right thing to do. Agents will probably/hopefully take note.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It may seem like a little thing, but this little detail can help down the road. It was the right thing to do. Agents will probably/hopefully take note.
I'm sure that the agents for both Gee and Hopson have had conversations with the Kings about getting their clients released as soon as possible. Unless of course, the Kings have decided to pick up one of them for the year, which I doubt.

I'm sure that the agents for both Gee and Hopson have had conversations with the Kings about getting their clients released as soon as possible. Unless of course, the Kings have decided to pick up one of them for the year, which I doubt.
Unless they need the roster spot, I'd actually like them to keep Gee for now. An unguaranteed deal at a decent amount with no date attached is more valuable than even an expiring when it comes to trades.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The deals may seem like inconsequential shuffling, but I think ultimately it benefits the team to get guys like Outlaw and Terry, and more importantly their attitudes, away from the team. That's why moving Salmons and Patterson was a good idea, it's why moving Thornton was a good idea. Casspi wanted to be here. Moreland wanted to be here. Hollins and Sessions presumably are comfortable with the roles that were offered to them or they wouldn't have signed here. We've still got a ways to go competitively, but I'm excited to see what they guys we've got can do this year. When I look at the roaster now, it's feeling less and less like a random collection of players to me and more and more like a team.

Unless they need the roster spot, I'd actually like them to keep Gee for now. An unguaranteed deal at a decent amount with no date attached is more valuable than even an expiring when it comes to trades.
At Basketballinsiders.com it says that Gee's contract can not be traded as a "package" until 11/17/14 (maybe that is 60 days from the trade in)

So I guess we could trade him for a 3 mil player that another team wanted to get rid of salary who could then waive Gee

Or after 11/17 we could trade him with another player(Dwill -a 1 yr ender) for a bigger contract like a 10mil contract

Hmmm that would only add 3 mil to our salary total and still be just below luxury limit

So who has a shot blocking 10 mil PF that needs to shed some salary?

At Basketballinsiders.com it says that Gee's contract can not be traded as a "package" until 11/17/14 (maybe that is 60 days from the trade in)

So I guess we could trade him for a 3 mil player that another team wanted to get rid of salary who could then waive Gee

Or after 11/17 we could trade him with another player(Dwill -a 1 yr ender) for a bigger contract like a 10mil contract

Hmmm that would only add 3 mil to our salary total and still be just below luxury limit

So who has a shot blocking 10 mil PF that needs to shed some salary?
Anybody not named Cousins or Gay for Larry Sanders. I would also try for John Henson. The Bucls shouldn't be allowed to have both.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I am not an Outlaw fan, but when did he have a bad attitude?
I don't mean that he was actively causing trouble, more that his work ethic was horrible and it showed when he got on the court and did nothing but take questionable shots. Salmons, Patterson, and Outlaw all struck me as guys that were happy cashing the check and doing the minimum amount of work necessary to keep their roster spots. Maybe it's just the fit that was wrong or they got off to a bad start with the old regime because all three of them have been effective players elsewhere at some point in their careers. Thornton was different. He was only happy as a starter and used his time on the bench to morph into a one-dimensional scoring guard.

I don't mean that he was actively causing trouble, more that his work ethic was horrible and it showed when he got on the court and did nothing but take questionable shots. Salmons, Patterson, and Outlaw all struck me as guys that were happy cashing the check and doing the minimum amount of work necessary to keep their roster spots. Maybe it's just the fit that was wrong or they got off to a bad start with the old regime because all three of them have been effective players elsewhere at some point in their careers. Thornton was different. He was only happy as a starter and used his time on the bench to morph into a one-dimensional scoring guard.
I totally agree with you. I believe that our FO have "feelers" that can tell that an NBA player has a Desire to be a champion. If they can Realize that some team members are content with their financial success, then they need to be dismissed. (Thompson and Williams could be included.)

Scotty Hopson Waived By KingsShareVia RealGM Staff Report
Sep 24, 2014 03:58 PM ET

The Sacramento Kings waived guard Scotty Hopson on Wednesday.

Hopson was recently acquired from the Houston Rockets along with Alonzo Gee and a pair of second-round draft picks in exchange for guard Jason Terry and a trade exception.