Terry being traded to Houston

Bitching cause we sent a player with zero value but took up cap room and used 2 nd round picks to do it. Don't overvalue the 2 nd round picks, don't overvalue Terry....I'm amazed we could offload him now. Gives us wiggle room for other low level deals or signings......unless one wants to just roll the dice on some second second rounders....geez.
^exactly. It's a miracle we were able to get ANYTHING in return for Terry. Especially when every other team's GM knew that Terry wouldn't play for us

Maybe you haven't seen most of those guys play collison is the only one that has proven he belongs on an nba roster full time.
Maybe we have a different definition of "score". I swear I've seen everyone of them score, well except for Nik, but I'm confident he'll be just fine. There's nothing that Terry would give us that the others won't. Yeah, maybe the veteran stuff, but I'm not quite sure about that either :p
And as it seems, the most useful thing he contributes is to make room for further moves.

^exactly. It's a miracle we were able to get ANYTHING in return for Terry. Especially when every other team's GM knew that Terry wouldn't play for us
When we made the trade, his value was never about playing, it was about being a smaller expiring to move than MT. Having to include 2 picks (that are of course worthless to people once we move them, instead of being valuable if we got them), isn't a good return.

UNLESS there is a plan to spend it on something more useful this year. If not we just moved an expiring deal and 2 likely high second rounders for nothing.

Lol....there are more second rounders that don't pan out than make it....way more. Go ahead and cherry pick the few that make it...lol.
Agreed. Yet they still have value. Including them to move an expiring deal is a concern unless they have a plan for those dollars.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Please ....... would you please explain the details of this deal again.
From Yahoo sports

The Rockets will send a package centered on non-guaranteed contracts, including Alonzo Gee, that the Kings can ultimately waive and gain salary savings and roster space, league sources said. Sacramento will send Houston two second-round picks in the deal, including one via the Knicks, league sources told Yahoo. The trade could take some time to officially complete, based on restrictions of contracts in the deal, league sources said.

Sacramento had been trying to unload Terry and his $5.4 million expiring deal, and Houston had been searching for a playoff-sturdy guard to join its bench.

The fact that it's not just a rumor but a deal that seems to be nearly complete gets me a little bit excited. I doubt we would complete that deal if there weren't other pieces in place that are going to fall very soon :)

I don't like this trade. Unless there is more to it, this is another fail by the uncle Pete. (If we are giving two 2nd rounders)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Looking at the numbers I would say we just got an exciting Alonzo Gee/Scotty Hopson package

Terry = $5.45mil

Gee = $3.25mil
Hopson = $2.45mil

Gee might have some use, and in particular as a Williams or McLemore replacement. Very athletic and will try on defense. Just can't shoot/dribble.

Know little about Hopson.

You have to continue to look at all of these odd piles of people we are stacking in corners from the perspective of some eventual move where we will end up sans Williams, Ben, a PF, some, or all.

P.S. BTW to whoever was whining about Cisco still, would LOVE to have him back. Veteran leader who shoots and has a good relationship with Cuz? yes please. Perfect end of bencher.

Bricklayer

Yes, and if we have to give up 2 2nd rounders to waive a guy, that does have value, I will consider it a fail. If we get two 2nd rounders, I think a good deal was made.
I would think we would be giving away not taking since we are possibly dumping $5+mil in salary.

Bricklayer

A quick investigation of who Hopson is:

http://search.draftexpress.com/profile/Scotty-Hopson-1323/

especially with various GMs calling him delusional and him saying in his interview that he wants to be the greatest player in the history of the NBA...I'm thinking Gee might have a chance if there is a trade. but Hopson could be waived to get back his salary money, which might free us to start signing some of those 20 guys out there we are supposed to be interested in.

Bricklayer

so my scratch list:

Cousins
Thompson <--------------
Landry
Evans
Williams <---------------
Gay
McLemore <------------------
Stauskas
Collison
McCallum

Moreland
Casspi
Bhullar
Ellington
Tyler
TWilliams?
Gee
Hopson <-------------------------

who am I missing?

Bricklayer

I am not sure what all the fuss is about. Terry was done as a a player even before he got hurt. Now he's 37 and coming off injury? I'm really not sure what Houston is thinking to be honest.
likely the picks as much as anything. But they have been looking for a backup PG, and likely like the idea of another veteran chucker. pretty sure Morey gets all sweaty and starts rubbing himself against things whenever he sees something else that chucks out there and available.