Rudy Gay expresses his frustration

I'm hoping your wrong in terms of Cousins. He did have the one comment about Cuz but that was in the context about him, Gay, being more outspoken.

In terms of Gay's body language, he seemed he was looking around more when talking about talking to Divac. I'm only guessing but I suspect he may be embarrassed that he gave that interview and said what he said. He followed up by saying something along the lines that it was good he could call.

His praise on McLemore was in the context that he hoped that the team would develop the youth better. The Kings have sucked in the development aspect.
Yes, I suppose the Kings haven't played Ben enough. Yeah, no development capability.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
http://www.abc10.com/sports/nba/sac...-frustrations-with-sacramento-kings/283778765

You really should watch the whole thing - a great candid interview. At first I thought it was pretty positive and the little tweet-quote by Sean was out of context, but when you watch Rudy's body language - looking away in parts - I read between the lines that it's DeMarcus or him - that probably Ailene is closer to the truth than we want to think.

He keeps dancing around "I could pinpoint one thing, but I won't" - and "there is a little more time to fix it"... I think it is believable that he thinks DeMarcus is the problem and wants away from him.

He also says in reply to a question about how the team might come together under Joerger "with THIS team, you never know". And he praises McLemore.

"I lead by example.. I'm not like Cuz, I'm not just gonna blaht out whatever..."

I think he doesn't get along with DMC... could be wrong
Hmm, interesting. I didn't see it exactly the way you did, but then that's what makes the world go around isn't it? I'm referring to your reference/inference in regards to Cousins. I took that reference as no more than pointing out that he and Cousins are two entirely different personality's, and nothing more. I try as best I can to listen to these interviews as objectively as I can. I don't know Rudy or the inter working's of his mind. But in almost every instance he has come across as very nice man with good intentions. Doesn't mean he's right, or wrong, but that on a personal level, I like him.

What I found most interesting was his comment about there still being time to fix some things. That led me to believe he still see's a problem somewhere. Whether it's how his role on the team is perceived, or whether it has to do with other players on the team, I don't know. He facial expression implied that he didn't like how he was used last season. ( I agree) Obviously, he was being as tactful as he could. He did seem to imply that his meeting with Vlade had resolved some issues, but not all. It didn't appear to me that any of his problems were with Vlade. I also found it interesting that he almost said the exact same thing that Cuz said, when it came to coaching and management. I let them do their job and I try to do mine. Not an exact quote, but close.

Overall, I got the impression that Rudy wouldn't mind moving on, but would give his all to the team if he isn't traded. That's all you can ever ask of a player. Just because a player doesn't want to be here doesn't mean it can't work. Webber didn't want to be here and that worked out great for the organization. Different situation, but none the less. Final note, he didn't seem to mind playing the PF position, and thought he was big enough to play there, but he didn't like how he was used at that position. So he had more of a problem with tactics than he did what position he played.

I think everyone agree's that Rudy had an off year last year. Now, looking back, knowing that he was battling some health issues, and also knowing that he didn't think he was being used properly, his off year makes more sense. At this point, I think it comes down to whether Vlade thinks Rudy is the best fit for the team going forward. If not, then it's likely Rudy will be traded. But Vlade is holding his cards close to his vest, and he's not going to give Rudy away. Personally, I would like to see Rudy here, but if not, I wish him the best of everything.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Houston has a few pieces that intrigue me (Beverly, Ariza, McDaniels, Harrel). If we could net Beverly + McDaniels/Harrel I would be moderately pleased. I know most would want to do a Beverly +Ariza for Gay+ McLemore type deal, but I doubt Houston would do that.
I like Beverly and McDaniels, but I'm not much of a Harrell fan. I see him as a poor man's Kenneth Faried. Similar athleticism and size, but doesn't have the BBIQ of Faried. I'd take Ariza in a heartbeat, but I wish he were five years younger. The player I would target instead of McDaniels would be Dekker. I think his long range potential is better than McDaniels. Forget need.

Hmm, interesting. I didn't see it exactly the way you did, but then that's what makes the world go around isn't it? I'm referring to your reference/inference in regards to Cousins. I took that reference as no more than pointing out that he and Cousins are two entirely different personality's, and nothing more. I try as best I can to listen to these interviews as objectively as I can. I don't know Rudy or the inter working's of his mind. But in almost every instance he has come across as very nice man with good intentions. Doesn't mean he's right, or wrong, but that on a personal level, I like him.

What I found most interesting was his comment about there still being time to fix some things. That led me to believe he still see's a problem somewhere. Whether it's how his role on the team is perceived, or whether it has to do with other players on the team, I don't know. He facial expression implied that he didn't like how he was used last season. ( I agree) Obviously, he was being as tactful as he could. He did seem to imply that his meeting with Vlade had resolved some issues, but not all. It didn't appear to me that any of his problems were with Vlade. I also found it interesting that he almost said the exact same thing that Cuz said, when it came to coaching and management. I let them do their job and I try to do mine. Not an exact quote, but close.

Overall, I got the impression that Rudy wouldn't mind moving on, but would give his all to the team if he isn't traded. That's all you can ever ask of a player. Just because a player doesn't want to be here doesn't mean it can't work. Webber didn't want to be here and that worked out great for the organization. Different situation, but none the less. Final note, he didn't seem to mind playing the PF position, and thought he was big enough to play there, but he didn't like how he was used at that position. So he had more of a problem with tactics than he did what position he played.

I think everyone agree's that Rudy had an off year last year. Now, looking back, knowing that he was battling some health issues, and also knowing that he didn't think he was being used properly, his off year makes more sense. At this point, I think it comes down to whether Vlade thinks Rudy is the best fit for the team going forward. If not, then it's likely Rudy will be traded. But Vlade is holding his cards close to his vest, and he's not going to give Rudy away. Personally, I would like to see Rudy here, but if not, I wish him the best of everything.

I noticed that similar quote also. Then I was reading an article about a Jimmy Butler interview concerning all the trade talk about him and he said the same about the Bulls Front Office "I do my job and let them do theirs" mantra both Boogie and Rudy said. It is almost like these guys talk and compare notes or something:)

I like Beverly and McDaniels, but I'm not much of a Harrell fan. I see him as a poor man's Kenneth Faried. Similar athleticism and size, but doesn't have the BBIQ of Faried. I'd take Ariza in a heartbeat, but I wish he were five years younger. The player I would target instead of McDaniels would be Dekker. I think his long range potential is better than McDaniels. Forget need.
I forgot about Dekker. He is a nice player. I just have liked what I have seen from Harrel so fa. Maybe we could do Dekker, McDaniels, and Beverly for Gay and McLemore

I'd like to be wrong - I think Rudy is a nice player and an easy type of player to take for granted.

But I also think he had 11-15 minutes in that interview to slip in "I love Cuz. Cuz and I are 100%. We have the best big man in the game and we've got to figure it out. etc". And he didn't. But neither was he all that effusive about Joerger and I didn't take that as anything but Rudy being generally 'too cool for school' so there's that.

But I would like to be wrong - and having Rudy on the team to open the season is fine with me. My gut says Ailene is right and he's trying to twist arms to get himself out of here - as politely as he can but still twisting.

Pretty cool of Rudy to repeatedly put it out there that we're mutually willing to part ways.

Congratulations on simultaneously bringing down his own trade value and decreasing his own chances of going to a team he actually wants to join.

Well thought-out by Rudy. Pretty similar to his on-court play. Largely inconsequential.
I doubt it as bad as we are making it out to be, but it is not ideal haha.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd like to be wrong - I think Rudy is a nice player and an easy type of player to take for granted.

But I also think he had 11-15 minutes in that interview to slip in "I love Cuz. Cuz and I are 100%. We have the best big man in the game and we've got to figure it out. etc". And he didn't. But neither was he all that effusive about Joerger and I didn't take that as anything but Rudy being generally 'too cool for school' so there's that.

But I would like to be wrong - and having Rudy on the team to open the season is fine with me. My gut says Ailene is right and he's trying to twist arms to get himself out of here - as politely as he can but still twisting.
You could be right. As I said, I'm not privy to the inter-workings of his mind. I'm just being careful not to let my opinions reflect on what he said, or should have could have said. He was after all at his camp and is probably tired of being asked about the Kings etc.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Pretty cool of Rudy to repeatedly put it out there that we're mutually willing to part ways.

Congratulations on simultaneously bringing down his own trade value and decreasing his own chances of going to a team he actually wants to join.

Well thought-out by Rudy. Pretty similar to his on-court play. Largely inconsequential.
Well to be fair to Rudy, he has denied asking for the trade. We can take that for what it's worth. Hard to know who is actually telling the truth. I have no doubts that after last season if someone asked him if he'd rather be on the Spurs, he would have said yes. It's also possible that the Kings told Rudy after the season that they were going to try and move him. Knowing that, and waiting for the other shoe to fall might cause anyone to stress out a bit. Point is, there are a lot of different scenario's possible, so until I know anything for sure, I'll give Rudy the benefit of the doubt. I still don't think it was a good idea to vent to the press.

I can agree but disagree. The interview began and was mostly about Rudy's camp. Cuz has nothing to do with that. In terms of his persona of being too cool for school, so what? It's his gig.

In terms of what your gut is telling you, my sense is a little different and I know no more than you do even if that is essentially nothing. I think he would prefer to be elsewhere, anywhere, but intends to be professional (interview notwithstanding) as humanly possible and that intention may because of the conversation with Vlade.

Well to be fair to Rudy, he has denied asking for the trade. We can take that for what it's worth. Hard to know who is actually telling the truth. I have no doubts that after last season if someone asked him if he'd rather be on the Spurs, he would have said yes. It's also possible that the Kings told Rudy after the season that they were going to try and move him. Knowing that, and waiting for the other shoe to fall might cause anyone to stress out a bit. Point is, there are a lot of different scenario's possible, so until I know anything for sure, I'll give Rudy the benefit of the doubt. I still don't think it was a good idea to vent to the press.
You covered the bases better than what I was trying to do. Dinner interruption before I could post.

We really need to be careful here because we do not need, nor can we afford the drama of last offseason or season for this matter.

The very last thing that this team needs is inhouse fighting and not having everyone on the same page. If this doesn't get sorted one way or the other, we could be in for a very long and ugly season.

Vlade's #1 attribute is his ability to unite, to be that glue guy. He was that as a player and he needs to be that as an official. Players and coaching staff need to be on the same page. We can't afford anyone to be the odd man out. Its encouraging that Vlade and Rudy talked. I am hoping that Joerger and Rudy can sit down and discuss intentions of how we are going to go about next season, Rudy's role in that and try and get everyone on the right page. Who knows what Rudy's relationship with Joerger is like but there has to be mutual respect and understanding of the role and direction of the franchise.

Trading Rudy now will practically be giving away our 2nd best asset for half the price. Not smart business.

This. It's also possible that no one in the organization told him anything about being traded, but he keeps hearing all the rumors. He's waiting to either hear confirmation or denial, but is not getting either. That can make a person salty. You never know what is going on in a persons mind, but he's definitely done with the uncertainty and inconsistency. Hard to blame him.

I know it may be only my lack of feeling for the english language, but according to the quote Rudy said, that he personally didn't ask the team to get him out of here. Now in German this formulation would only mean, that he hasn't adressed this matter vis a vis, still leaving the possibility open, that his agents have asked for a trade.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I know it may be only my lack of feeling for the english language, but according to the quote Rudy said, that he personally didn't ask the team to get him out of here. Now in German this formulation would only mean, that he hasn't adressed this matter vis a vis, still leaving the possibility open, that his agents have asked for a trade.
English being a Germanic language, I think your feel for it is pretty good in this case. Normally someone would say "I haven't requested a trade". However, if his agent were to have asked for a trade on his behalf, most English speakers would consider that wording to be deceptive. By inserting the word "personally" it leaves a distinct impression that he is speaking carefully in order to avoid claiming anything about what his agent might (or might not) have done on his behalf. It's just that there doesn't seem to be much reason to do that if the agent hasn't been having a dialogue on those lines.

So in Rudy's interview with Sean Cunningham, he was asked, paraphrasing, what are the strengths of the team, and he said "....the young guys, Willie and Ben...." :eek: What does it say that there was NO mention of Boogie? Isn't that the best thing we have going for us, "the best center in the game"? Rudy doesn't see this, or doesn't view him as a strength, but rather detriment and divisive force or so it seems. That's my interpretation and would be open to being convinced differently.

The writing is on the wall. Rudy wants OUT because he is not down with Boogie. Its a clusterf**k that two talented players cannot get on the same page and turn this S**T around. There is disconnect. There is disharmony. There is dissonance. And this is what Vlade vowed to resolve upon assuming his position. I hope we can trade Rudy for something GOOD....otherwise I envision more discord and apathy and another floundering campaign. A player who has checked out mentally and doesn't even know who is new teammates are going to be speaks volumes. Ridiculousness personified.

So in Rudy's interview with Sean Cunningham, he was asked, paraphrasing, what are the strengths of the team, and he said "....the young guys, Willie and Ben...." :eek: What does it say that there was NO mention of Boogie? Isn't that the best thing we have going for us, "the best center in the game"? Rudy doesn't see this, or doesn't view him as a strength, but rather detriment and divisive force or so it seems. That's my interpretation and would be open to being convinced differently.

The writing is on the wall. Rudy wants OUT because he is not down with Boogie. Its a clusterf**k that two talented players cannot get on the same page and turn this S**T around. There is disconnect. There is disharmony. There is dissonance. And this is what Vlade vowed to resolve upon assuming his position. I hope we can trade Rudy for something GOOD....otherwise I envision more discord and apathy and another floundering campaign. A player who has checked out mentally and doesn't even know who is new teammates are going to be speaks volumes. Ridiculousness personified.

Rudy won't be here so we don't need to stress about it. The direction is becoming clearer. Defensive and team minded with a team that compliments Boogie. Rudy definitely does not fit the bill if this is his attitude. I don't even know he was part of the plan prior to this nonsense, but at this point we need to cut our losses.

Wow....somehow you make 1+1=47:D:D:D

K

KingsFan80

I have been reading some articles about potential Rudy Gay trades (from national media) and all of them make me cringe. If that is really the market then keep him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's really not consistency or stability that Gay is talking about. It's winning, or in the Kings' case, losing. If the Kings made a miraculous deal a la the Virgin Birth and got Chris Paul in return for three Kings players (other than Cousins) I don't think Gay would be complaining about flux or instability or inconsistency. It's not about that. He's looking at where this team is now and where it's headed, and he doesn't like what he sees. The non-comment about Cousins is also probably telling. (It's not like we haven't heard before that Cousins can't get along with his teammates). The comments about the FO and communication is just an indirect passive-aggressive jab at FO competence, very similar to the "I'm confused" comment by Cousins. If Vlade made a mistake, it's not in his lack of communication with Gay (or Cousins), but in his failure to recognize much earlier that he would have to make major changes with this team. Now, instead of Vlade driving the bus, Gay is driving the bus, which means the Kings have less leverage and are likely not to get full market value for Gay. This should be a huge "wake up" moment for Divac that he could end up in the exact same situation with Cousins down the line if he doesn't act proactively rather than from a weak reactive posture.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Part of me wants Rudy here and then coach sits his ass down if or when he doesn't play defense. I like Rudy and think he's better than many give him credit here and think he's mostly professional but he doesn't quite fit the team personality of grit and grind that the org is attempting to build.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I find it fascinating how many people know what Gay means. Let us start with the fact that only Rudy knows what he means by consistency. I think there can be many guesses as to what that means. My first guess that seemed to get no support whatsoever from anyone else is that he wanted to know if he was going to be part of the Kings future. He married in 2013 and may be looking for a city where he can put down roots. He may wonder if that can be Sacramento and the only way he can stay here is if the Kings want him. I don't know if he has children or if any are planned soon but as I suspect he needs no more money to live a comfortable life, he may be interested in where he can stay and raise his children. His children and wife may appreciate knowing where they are going to be living from year to year.

I don't know any of this for a fact except I want to make the point that at a certain age and place in life (marriage and children) basketball may slide down the scale as to importance in a person's life.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This. It's also possible that no one in the organization told him anything about being traded, but he keeps hearing all the rumors. He's waiting to either hear confirmation or denial, but is not getting either. That can make a person salty. You never know what is going on in a persons mind, but he's definitely done with the uncertainty and inconsistency. Hard to blame him.
One rumor that has come from several sources is that at the end of the season when the teams have their little critique with each player before they depart for parts unknown, Rudy didn't exactly ask for a trade, but let it be known that he wouldn't mind being at another address next year. It's reported that his decision had nothing to do with anyone on the team, but that he thought he didn't fit well. Supposedly he was told that they would do their best to move him, and if possible, to a contending team. If all that is true, then I can understand Rudy getting a little impatient and wanting a conclusion. If traded he'll have to go house hunting, get his kids enrolled in new schools etc. The sooner he can get started, the better. So I understand his frustration.

All that said, Vlade's first priority has to be to the Kings. You want to make a deal, but you want the deal to benefit the Kings. If that means waiting, then you wait. If you have to choose between a deal that makes Rudy happy and a deal that makes the Kings better, you take the deal that makes the Kings better. I'm sure Vlade would like to get this over with as well. Any incoming player would have to go through the same process as Rudy, so the sooner the better. I don't think there are any bad guys here, just some impatience, and understandably so. Just happens to be life in the NBA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I find it fascinating how many people know what Gay means. Let us start with the fact that only Rudy knows what he means by consistency. I think there can be many guesses as to what that means. My first guess that seemed to get no support whatsoever from anyone else is that he wanted to know if he was going to be part of the Kings future. He married in 2013 and may be looking for a city where he can put down roots. He may wonder if that can be Sacramento and the only way he can stay here is if the Kings want him. I don't know if he has children or if any are planned soon but as I suspect he needs no more money to live a comfortable life, he may be interested in where he can stay and raise his children. His children and wife may appreciate knowing where they are going to be living from year to year.

I don't know any of this for a fact except I want to make the point that at a certain age and place in life (marriage and children) basketball may slide down the scale as to importance in a person's life.
No, I think your dead right. I think Rudy is merely venting his frustration of not knowing where he'll lay his head next season. However, since several sources have reported that he suggested he wouldn't mind playing somewhere else next season, I think we can assume that there's some truth there. Some speculation there, but not that much of a reach.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
No, I think your dead right. I think Rudy is merely venting his frustration of not knowing where he'll lay his head next season. However, since several sources have reported that he suggested he wouldn't mind playing somewhere else next season, I think we can assume that there's some truth there. Some speculation there, but not that much of a reach.
Everything to a certain extent is speculation. You and I have gone through the entire circle of life having had children and seen them off on their own. I know for myself I tried to keep stability which had a different meaning for me than Rudy's situation but was stability just the same.

Rudy Gay is an incredibly gifted professional athlete scheduled to earn 13.3 million dollars next season. I'm sure the struggle is real not knowing what city he gets traded to. But it is part of the territory and the primary reason I pass no judgement when a player opts to changes cities like Durant did once he becomes a Free Agent. Rudy just has to tough it out one season on 13.3 million and then he will also be a Free Agent:)