Rudy Gay expresses his frustration

I think Vlade has made a couple of rookie mistakes last season and part of the reason might have been the ownership group fractions.

First mistake Vlade made was believing that DMC and Karl could co-exist. He had a tail end of the season from hell to realize that this was just not going to work but he gave it a chance. When it became clear by the all-star break that it was not working, instead of firing Karl he said he will remain as a coach. I have no doubt that this alienated players like Rudy and it's been downhill since then.

Then you factor in players wanting to win but us going all out tank mode to save the draft pick so that we have some more assets to play with. From a pure business perspective this made sense as we managed to turn that single first rounder into essentially 3 first round picks. This however would have alienated players and would have burnt some bridges.

Throughout the season, the front office never really made an ultimatum to Karl to change his ways or he will be gone. The childish threats of firing an assistant coach instead of the head coach had exactly the opposite effect. Players see this and it lacks initiative and leadership. Now there have been strong rumors that Karl was not fired because of minority owners kicking up a fuss over it. Players were well and truly over it it by then.

The season was tough as it is but all these little things along the way snowballed it into even more messier situation than it needed to be. Some players you were never going to get back after that and it would appear Rudy is one of them.

I am sure that there is plenty of interest in Rudy but we as a franchise are not going to give him away and the other teams are trying to take advantage of the situation and are coming up with unacceptable offers. Rudy obviously wants a change and his comments can be interpreted as him putting pressure on the front office to trade him regardless of the unacceptable offers. Vlade has fought back just as strongly with his comments.

Yeah I agree with others that you don't just give away Rudy. But I think some people are overvalueing Rudy here. Yes he's talented but he's never accomplished anything really in his career. All the teams that have traded him away got better. Most frustrating thing about Rudy is that when Demarcus is out of the game, he can't even carry the load a little. His games with Cousins out and him as the #1 option is damn painful to watch. If we have to start Matt Barnes, then so be it. At least Barnes plays with heart and hustle. I can't really say that about Rudy.

When it comes to a Gay trade we have to remember what he was traded to the Kings for. Salmons, Vasquez, Patterson and Hayes for Gay, Gray and Acy. The Kings got Gay for backup roles players. Yes Vasquez started in Sac but he's still a back up NBA player. Not to mention all of the players besides Hayes Toronto got were in their last year of their deals. Gay was basically a salary dump for Toronto

Does Gay have more value now with one year left on his deal or did he have more value when Sac traded for him?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
When it comes to a Gay trade we have to remember what he was traded to the Kings for. Salmons, Vasquez, Patterson and Hayes for Gay, Gray and Acy. The Kings got Gay for backup roles players. Yes Vasquez started in Sac but he's still a back up NBA player. Not to mention all of the players besides Hayes Toronto got were in their last year of their deals. Gay was basically a salary dump for Toronto

Does Gay have more value now with one year left on his deal or did he have more value when Sac traded for him?
More value now. He had a couple of good years in between, and critically he is off of the awful contract, and in fact at this point a bargain after this insane summer. Hmm.. Mo Harkless at $10 mil per or Rudy Gay at $12mil... hmmm...

But he has never has as much value as his numbers.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
More value now. He had a couple of good years in between, and critically he is off of the awful contract, and in fact at this point a bargain after this insane summer. Hmm.. Mo Harkless at $10 mil per or Rudy Gay at $12mil... hmmm...

But he has never has as much value as his numbers.
You telling me you wouldn't rather have Mo Harkless right about now? At least he plays hard and defends, plays with interest...has upside still.

K

KingsFan80

Harkless is 23 he turns 24 ten months from now
I like Harkless but would rather have Crabbe. Would have loved to thrown $$ at him at least--maybe we don't get him, but still having a young SG like that would bring so much energy to this team going into the new arena. We are paying Affalo $8 mil next year, say you give Crabb $19 mil instead..ok that is $11 million more--Sign Norris Cole or one of the other remaining free agents for $1 or $2 million for one year, as they are equal to Garrett Temple which we are paying $8 million a year, and signed back Quincy Acy for the exact same he is getting from the Mavs, since there is literally no difference between him and Tolliver who is getting $8 million a year and they are both bench players.

PG -- Collison, Norris Cole
SG- Crabbe, McLemore, Richardson
SF- Rudy Gay, Barnes, Casspi
PF- WCS, Koufos, Acy
C- Cousins, Papa. Skal

One can dream right?

I like Harkless but would rather have Crabbe. Would have loved to thrown $$ at him at least--maybe we don't get him, but still having a young SG like that would bring so much energy to this team going into the new arena. We are paying Affalo $8 mil next year, say you give Crabb $19 mil instead..ok that is $11 million more--Sign Norris Cole or one of the other remaining free agents for $1 or $2 million for one year, as they are equal to Garrett Temple which we are paying $8 million a year, and signed back Quincy Acy for the exact same he is getting from the Mavs, since there is literally no difference between him and Tolliver who is getting $8 million a year and they are both bench players.

PF- WCS, Koufos, Acy
C- Cousins, Papa. Skal

One can dream right?
That's what most of your posts have been about. Dreaming that we can sign these highly contested free agents when in reality we have no chance.

K

KingsFan80

That's what most of your posts have been about. Dreaming that we can sign these highly contested free agents when in reality we have no chance.
I don't think Crabbe was out of reach..we would have needed to pay him more but still that is the game we are in right now. Sorry, I am just trying to get excited about the season but haven't been able to get there yet, ESPN just released their predictions and we are dead last due to a poor free agency signings (their words not mine).

PF- WCS, Koufos, Acy
C- Cousins, Papa. Skal

One can dream right?
PG -- Collison, Norris Cole,Temple
SG- Afflalo, McLemore, Richardson
PF- WCS, Tolliver,Skal
C- Cousins,Koufos, Papa

All we need to do is sign Cole with our room exception
I really dont see that much difference in the two lineups
and my dream is attainable with one signing!
shoulda, wouldve, couldve Dreams dont count

three deep at all positions, more balanced, better defensive players
When we start winning Cuz and Gay will both come around

Yeh I know , Mr Optomistic!!!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I read the first paragraph and quickly understood you had your own agenda. I never said Vlade should call everybody to keep them up to date on a daily basis, did I? That would be silly. Where did you get that from anything I have written? You mat go back a decade if you wish. On the other hand, if you gave a valued player who seems disgruntled, a phone call to help settle the problem takes very effort. It very well may be this is not Vlade's style. It also may be that he has no respect for Rudy's roll on the team.
I don't have an agenda. I was responding to what you, "Vlade should pick up the phone", and sorry, others on this thread have said. And the general consensus is that this whole Gay thing is Vlade's fault. You better than anyone should know that Vlade, me, or you has no idea what's in someone's mind unless they let you know. There is no way for Vlade to know that Gay is sitting around worried about all the rumors. When asked about Gay's comments, Vlade said he hadn't heard his comments, which tells me that Vlade is doing the smart thing. He's staying off social media and paying little attention to the national talking heads.

He's said nothing and done nothing, but yet here he is getting blamed for something he had nothing to do with. Look, I'm sure Vlade gets calls on a regular basis about Gay, Cousins, McLemore, and Koufos, but he can't go out and make a statement after each call. In Cousins case he's let it be know that under no circumstance will he trade Cuz. Even that hasn't stopped the rumors. Maybe I do have an agenda and it's to not jump to conclusions about Vlade or Gay. Suddenly we've arrived at Vlade doesn't respect Gay. I mean my god, if Vlade is known for anything, it's his ability to pull people together. Vlade doesn't disrespect people, but he does expect them to act like adults.

I suppose this is normal DDOS stuff, but frankly it gets tiresome after a while. It's funny how everyone will praise Pop's coaching ability with the Spur's. How he treats everyone equally regardless of who they are. Yet some of those same people will criticize Vlade because he doesn't give Cousins or Gay special treatment. You can't have it both ways.

I don't think Crabbe was out of reach..we would have needed to pay him more but still that is the game we are in right now. Sorry, I am just trying to get excited about the season but haven't been able to get there yet, ESPN just released their predictions and we are dead last due to a poor free agency signings (their words not mine).
Crabbe is a solid player but I'm just not as high on him as most. Especially with that price tag. He's essentially Ben McLemore with a pair of cajones. I don't think that confidence is worth an extra $15mil a year unless you're banking on him becoming a 17-20ppg scorer(which is possible). He can't handle the ball and his handles are masked by Lillard and McCollum doing most the handling duties. He also isn't known for his defense. The defense is likely to improve, the ball handling is not as likely. Putting him next to those guys in Portland and he looks great but place him next to Collison and his stats will stagnate because he doesn't have guys making plays for him. He's a player I'd like to have but he's essentially a solid role player making nearly star money.

PF- WCS, Koufos, Acy
C- Cousins, Papa. Skal

One can dream right?
Throw money at Crabbe? How well did that work out for New Jersey Nets? dude you really need to keep up with your NBA news. I notice that you're not very well informed from all your posts. Here is the link of Portland matching that big offer from New Jersey.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...rail_blazers_re-sign_allen_crabbe_to_4-y.html

You do realize that that is probably exactly what Pat Riley would have said, right? Except he probably would have slipped in the word maggot a few times.
Pat Riley isn't the head of an organization that players look at with disdain. Sacramento is. And therefore I think we need to go above and beyond to make sure that players know that there is a new regime in town that is focused on winning basketball and building a strong culture.

So what is Blake's value in your opinion? Ainge has plenty of assets:)
Unless the Clips are trying to rebuild (I don't think they are ) I don't see any of Boston's players being worthy of Griffin. Boston's team is comprised of a lot of nice system players who at their very peak are borderline all stars. Blake Griffin at his peak is a top 5 player in the league. It is similar to the argument we as Kings fans have in regards to trading Boogie to the Celtics. We as Kings fans wouldn't do it and we are probably a better candidate to do so being the it might be a good idea to hit the restart button, especially if the coming year goes south.

Pat Riley isn't the head of an organization that players look at with disdain. Sacramento is. And therefore I think we need to go above and beyond to make sure that players know that there is a new regime in town that is focused on winning basketball and building a strong culture.
You don't think Vlade did that. He hasn't been leaking things to the press and I have to imagine that someone throwing his employer under the bus to the press doesn't sit well. You keep your dirty laundry in-house. As far as a new regime in town, I'm sure other GM's are testing him. I don't know if his strategy will work but by all appearances him and coach are on the same page in terms of the identity of the team and the culture, you are either in or your out. Rudy displayed that he's not in.

Yeah I agree with others that you don't just give away Rudy. But I think some people are overvalueing Rudy here. Yes he's talented but he's never accomplished anything really in his career. All the teams that have traded him away got better. Most frustrating thing about Rudy is that when Demarcus is out of the game, he can't even carry the load a little. His games with Cousins out and him as the #1 option is damn painful to watch. If we have to start Matt Barnes, then so be it. At least Barnes plays with heart and hustle. I can't really say that about Rudy.
I agree with Brick that we need to move him for BPA now unless we want the situation to get worse

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't have an agenda. I was responding to what you, "Vlade should pick up the phone", and sorry, others on this thread have said. And the general consensus is that this whole Gay thing is Vlade's fault. You better than anyone should know that Vlade, me, or you has no idea what's in someone's mind unless they let you know. There is no way for Vlade to know that Gay is sitting around worried about all the rumors. When asked about Gay's comments, Vlade said he hadn't heard his comments, which tells me that Vlade is doing the smart thing. He's staying off social media and paying little attention to the national talking heads.

He's said nothing and done nothing, but yet here he is getting blamed for something he had nothing to do with. Look, I'm sure Vlade gets calls on a regular basis about Gay, Cousins, McLemore, and Koufos, but he can't go out and make a statement after each call. In Cousins case he's let it be know that under no circumstance will he trade Cuz. Even that hasn't stopped the rumors. Maybe I do have an agenda and it's to not jump to conclusions about Vlade or Gay. Suddenly we've arrived at Vlade doesn't respect Gay. I mean my god, if Vlade is known for anything, it's his ability to pull people together. Vlade doesn't disrespect people, but he does expect them to act like adults.

I suppose this is normal DDOS stuff, but frankly it gets tiresome after a while. It's funny how everyone will praise Pop's coaching ability with the Spur's. How he treats everyone equally regardless of who they are. Yet some of those same people will criticize Vlade because he doesn't give Cousins or Gay special treatment. You can't have it both ways.
I did not say anything like this to deserve a response like you gave me. I can make a fool out of myself easy enough but I don't need you distorting what I say to try to achieve the same.

"Vlade has a job to do, and calling every player on the team to keep them abreast of the daily progress of the team isn't part of it."​

Do you honestly think this comment of yours represents what I said?

Vlade ain't calling Rudy unless he gets traded and with each day that passes by that is looking less and
Less likely. Rudy expects to get traded and the not knowing is adding to his frustration.

End of the day we aren't giving him up for backup players whstever his value is because simply put we need more than role players and bench fillers for him. His value to us as is, is more than anything anyone else can offer

Vlade ain't calling Rudy unless he gets traded and with each day that passes by that is looking less and
Less likely. Rudy expects to get traded and the not knowing is adding to his frustration.

End of the day we aren't giving him up for backup players whstever his value is because simply put we need more than role players and bench fillers for him. His value to us as is, is more than anything anyone else can offer
You could definitely to be spot on. I think Rudy needs to shake it off and put his best foot forward if this is the case. Joerger is a better version of Malone and Rudy was on board then so I am unsure why he would be against this.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I did not say anything like this to deserve a response like you gave me. I can make a fool out of myself easy enough but I don't need you distorting what I say to try to achieve the same.

"Vlade has a job to do, and calling every player on the team to keep them abreast of the daily progress of the team isn't part of it."​

Do you honestly think this comment of yours represents what I said?
"I think Vlade is being ignorant. In my analysis, Rudy is feeling disrespected. Yes, I realize he may not have earned Vlade's respect but if Vlade wants to keep peace on this team, especially if Rudy is part of our future, he needs to pick up the phone. This isn't a game of chicken we are playing. I don't want dissension on this team because two people are being tight assed."

This is your exact quote. You tell me if there isn't an implication that Vlade should call players and let them know what's going on. Do I need a class in reader comprehension? If what I got from that isn't what you intended, then I apologize, but to these old eye;'s, it sure looks like you said what I thought you said, or at least implied. I don't think you were saying that Rudy should pick up the phone.