NFL 2023-2024 Thread

What is it with this board and all the pessimism lately anyway?

The 49ers have gone to two Super Bowls in the last few years and are poised to be contenders again. The Kings just had their second consecutive winning season after a 16 year drought.

And yet it's all gloom and doom around here.
Yeah if the Kings fired Brown today and we had another 17 year playoff drought, we would all be looking back at these last two years as the Glory Days 2.0.

Don’t know anything about college players and just too many players, positions, and relevant rounds/selections to do the crash course draft profile that I do in the weeks to the NBA draft…

…but watching the highlight videos the Niners have selected three guys who have never made a bad play ever.

I do understand the WR pick. It’s not truly a position of excess as people say when Jennings is only on a one year with his stock rising and keeping both Aiyuk and Deebo untenable. The offense wasn’t the same when one of Aiyuk or Deebo was out so it is an area in need of maintenance.

There seems to be different schools of thought on why the Niners secondary sucks. I think Lynch has been of the group that thinks if the defensive line lives up to its price tag then the Niners can afford not having an airtight secondary and wants to get his guys cheap and through the draft.

We’re entering the later rounds so that is usually when Lynch does his best work

Don’t know anything about college players and just too many players, positions, and relevant rounds/selections to do the crash course draft profile that I do in the weeks to the NBA draft…

…but watching the highlight videos the Niners have selected three guys who have never made a bad play ever.

I do understand the WR pick. It’s not truly a position of excess as people say when Jennings is only on a one year with his stock rising and keeping both Aiyuk and Deebo untenable. The offense wasn’t the same when one of Aiyuk or Deebo was out so it is an area in need of maintenance.

There seems to be different schools of thought on why the Niners secondary sucks. I think Lynch has been of the group that thinks if the defensive line lives up to its price tag then the Niners can afford not having an airtight secondary and wants to get his guys cheap and through the draft.

We’re entering the later rounds so that is usually when Lynch does his best work
Offensive line as well since an absolutely idiotic play by a backup O Lineman cost us the Superbowl. I really think the draft where the Niners got Iupati and Davis really set them up for the run they had in the Harbaugh years. If Purdy loses Aiyuk or Deebo, he's going to need more time to find lesser talented receivers.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Before I saw Matt Barrow's tweet I thought the same thing - this is Kyle looking for another Breida or Mostert. A one cut speedster who can spell CMC occastionally and hopefully rip off big chunks in the zone blocking run game.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Kyle drafting speedsters for Brock like he’s got Josh Allen’s arm lmao
Cowing isn't really a downfield threat though. He's a slot receiver with the quick burst to win early. Actually a really good fit for Brock.

And Guerendo is still pretty raw, especially considering his age, but he's coming in as a very good pass blocker and he's a decent receiver for a RB.

Ah yes, KingDivac, noted scout of DB's.

I, like 99.9% of NFL fans, know absolutely nothing about this class, but I like us using the first 3 rounds on premium positions of want/need.

Reading about Pearsall a bit, seems like he's just an overall stud, but is just "old" and a bit on the smaller side. Dominates a ton of statistical boxes
Thank gawd I'm not 49er scout, I'd be fired.
I think there's a fairly good chance Pearsall would've been available for their 2nd round pick, but will never know. I do know the 49ers didn't address their CB deficiency, and oh gee, drafted a RB as usual with impressive quickness measurements. I guess their own team departments dont talk with one another.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Before I saw Matt Barrow's tweet I thought the same thing - this is Kyle looking for another Breida or Mostert. A one cut speedster who can spell CMC occastionally and hopefully rip off big chunks in the zone blocking run game.
Yeah, I think so. Kyle likes having a homerun back on the sideline who can get him a big chunk of yards on one play. It feeds into his chess match play-calling style. Also, based on his Niners tenure, he likes getting them in the draft and then letting them go before they get expensive.

Regarding the Pearsall pick, I think we all knew one of Deebo or Aiyuk was going to have to get traded eventually. With Kittle and CMC both being explosive receivers in their own right, there's just no reason to pay two top WRs when only one of them is going to get enough touches to justify the cost. Based on recent history, I've been hoping Aiyuk is the guy that they choose to keep but I also don't think it matters too much. If Aiyuk has more trade value right now and Lynch/Shanahan choose to capitalize on that, I expect Deebo to bounce back to his 2021 numbers when given more opportunities.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I think so. Kyle likes having a homerun back on the sideline who can get him a big chunk of yards on one play. It feeds into his chess match play-calling style. Also, based on h
is Niners tenure, he likes getting them in the draft and then letting them go before they get expensive.

Regarding the Pearsall pick, I think we all knew one of Deebo or Aiyuk was going to have to get traded eventually. With Kittle and CMC both being explosive receivers in their own right, there's just no reason to pay two top WRs when only one of them is going to get enough touches to justify the cost. Based on recent history, I've been hoping Aiyuk is the guy that they choose to keep but I also don't think it matters too much. If Aiyuk has more trade value right now and Lynch/Shanahan choose to capitalize on that, I expect Deebo to bounce back to his 2021 numbers when given more opportunities.
The thing with Pearsall is that the Niners aren't in cap hell yet. They can sign Aiyuk and take one more shot with the roster as is. Then next year they have to make some hard decisions. So if Deebo is traded next off-season, you have a guy who is hopefully talented enough to step up alongside Aiyuk in Pearsall, and he'll have a year of experience in the offense at that point.

Deebo was also a much more important player for the Niners (a) before the league caught up to the team using him as a running option, (b) before CMC arrived to take a lot of those touches he was getting as a "Wide Back" and (c) when Jimmy G was the QB and working much more of the intermediate middle of the field.

Samuel is amazing with the ball in his hands, but he's still not a polished route runner who routinely wins and gets open - Aiyuk does. That's much more valuable now with Purdy behind center.

The thing with Pearsall is that the Niners aren't in cap hell yet. They can sign Aiyuk and take one more shot with the roster as is. Then next year they have to make some hard decisions. So if Deebo is traded next off-season, you have a guy who is hopefully talented enough to step up alongside Aiyuk in Pearsall, and he'll have a year of experience in the offense at that point.

Deebo was also a much more important player for the Niners (a) before the league caught up to the team using him as a running option, (b) before CMC arrived to take a lot of those touches he was getting as a "Wide Back" and (c) when Jimmy G was the QB and working much more of the intermediate middle of the field.

Samuel is amazing with the ball in his hands, but he's still not a polished route runner who routinely wins and gets open - Aiyuk does. That's much more valuable now with Purdy behind center.

Good breakdown from dudes who actually watch these prospects. Lots of good info in here. One comp they give is Christian Kirk as a "vertical slot" type WR. I'd be good with that!

I think he's a damn flawless fit with how Purdy throws the ball. Anticipation is the name of the game and with a crisp route runner, Purdy is going to let that thing fly to where the guy should be at the right time. Elite route running seems to be a common theme I'm hearing about Pearsall and we've seen how damn good Aiyuk is as an elite route runner with Purdy. The athletic testing is incredible too, hard not to get excited about that.