NFL 2023-2024 Thread

Still not entirely sold on the WR. I know a lot of pundits and also Stroud is hype for him, but why didn’t that translate to draft boards and mocks? We’ll see. Cautiously optimistic.

hype about the CB and OL. At least going for need!

Now we need Jerry’s, TO’s, and Gore’s sons. Who cares about that pesky need anymore.
Don’t really care what draft boards or mocks say. In 2020, draft boards had Aiyuk anywhere between 30s to 40s. Only a few had him in the late 20s. When the 49ers traded up from 31 to 25 to grab him, there were even some mixed responds with not everyone being entirely sold.

Worked out well for us.

Going to put my faith on the 49ers scouting department and FO when they’ve drafted us Purdy, Deebo, Aiyuk, Jennings, Kittle, Bosa, Warner, Greenlaw, Lenoir, and Hufanga.

The fact that we have this much home grown talent still currently on the roster should tell you all that you need to know. Don’t really care about the misses, every team has misses. It’s the good picks that make an elite FO.

It’s not like the NBA draft where you absolutely need to hit on your draft selection.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The thing with Pearsall is that the Niners aren't in cap hell yet. They can sign Aiyuk and take one more shot with the roster as is. Then next year they have to make some hard decisions. So if Deebo is traded next off-season, you have a guy who is hopefully talented enough to step up alongside Aiyuk in Pearsall, and he'll have a year of experience in the offense at that point.

Deebo was also a much more important player for the Niners (a) before the league caught up to the team using him as a running option, (b) before CMC arrived to take a lot of those touches he was getting as a "Wide Back" and (c) when Jimmy G was the QB and working much more of the intermediate middle of the field.

Samuel is amazing with the ball in his hands, but he's still not a polished route runner who routinely wins and gets open - Aiyuk does. That's much more valuable now with Purdy behind center.
I like this plan. At least take one more shot at a Super Bowl win before breaking up the dynamic receiving duo.

I always like to see a USC guy coming to the Niners in the draft, And I love that Lynch and Shanahan drafted two offensive linemen this year! Hopefully Jarrett Kingston is more of a Talanoa Hufanga than a Drake Jackson.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I feel like people let Travis Kelce being a cartoon character and Andy Reid being a fat dude who loves Hawaiian shirts and burgers distract them from the fact that the Chiefs maybe the biggest collection of intensely dislikable guys (and in some cases criminals) assembled

will purdy end up commanding $55 million plus after what Goff just got? Personally I wouldn't pay Purdy. If the 49ers pay Purdy what the market dictates we will inevitably lose multiple pro bowl weapons. Thats not gonna make a successful team. Additionally, can you pay a guy that much money if he can't throw in the rain?

Last 5 QB's to get PAID, how has that turned out for the team? Minus Mahomes its a sure fire roadl to mediocrity. If we are gonna keep shanny longterm i think we let purdy go and continue fielding a really good team with a QB that can just get it done. Kinda like our offensive line.

will purdy end up commanding $55 million plus after what Goff just got? Personally I wouldn't pay Purdy. If the 49ers pay Purdy what the market dictates we will inevitably lose multiple pro bowl weapons. Thats not gonna make a successful team. Additionally, can you pay a guy that much money if he can't throw in the rain?

Last 5 QB's to get PAID, how has that turned out for the team? Minus Mahomes its a sure fire roadl to mediocrity. If we are gonna keep shanny longterm i think we let purdy go and continue fielding a really good team with a QB that can just get it done. Kinda like our offensive line.

Question. Is there a single QB season from a 49ers QB since Steve Young you'd take over the year Purdy just had? The answer is absolutely not. Garcia/ Smith/Kaepernick/Jimmy G all had good seasons here and there, but none really came close to what Purdy just did.

That's why our best possible window to win is right now, while Purdy is cheap. But the answer isn't letting Purdy walk and hoping you might find someone nearly as good as him again.

It’s a tough question. I might lean towards wanting to trade him for a haul, because that much money is absolutely absurd. I think back … we won football games with Jim Garoppolo. A lot of them. And Jim is terrible.

I believe Shanahan can find a mid-level QB to make look at least decent, build the rest of the roster as it should be, and hope to win that way.

Question. Is there a single QB season from a 49ers QB since Steve Young you'd take over the year Purdy just had? The answer is absolutely not. Garcia/ Smith/Kaepernick/Jimmy G all had good seasons here and there, but none really came close to what Purdy just did.

That's why our best possible window to win is right now, while Purdy is cheap. But the answer isn't letting Purdy walk and hoping you might find someone nearly as good as him again.
Kapernick’s one amazing season where his legs were the biggest weapons in the league was close. Of course, nowhere near in comparison with the arm, and Harbaugh knew the importance of an O-Line that helped his biggest weapon.

It’s a tough question. I might lean towards wanting to trade him for a haul, because that much money is absolutely absurd. I think back … we won football games with Jim Garoppolo. A lot of them. And Jim is terrible.

I believe Shanahan can find a mid-level QB to make look at least decent, build the rest of the roster as it should be, and hope to win that way.
And what if it takes 5+ years to find another QB even Jimmy G level of production? Willing to wait that long?

Purdy put up a top 5 QB season last year and if we're ranking QB's long-term, is easily in the top 12. In his first full season as a starter no less....

I really don't understand fans sometimes. We literally lucked into a Romo/Brady/Warner (tier below), QB late in a draft and already talking about getting rid of him

And what if it takes 5+ years to find another QB even Jimmy G level of production? Willing to wait that long?

Purdy put up a top 5 QB season last year and if we're ranking QB's long-term, is easily in the top 12. In his first full season as a starter no less....

I really don't understand fans sometimes. We literally lucked into a Romo/Brady/Warner (tier below), QB late in a draft and already talking about getting rid of him
you can’t understand that fans want to talk about keeping the type of team we’ve had the last 7 years instead of going a completely different direction? Which is what would happen if we pay purdy what the market will dictate.
Shannahan got so much done with a subpar Jimmy g.. Sorry man but there are a lot of Jimmy g’s out there. Shannahan did the same thing with Jimmy as he did with purdy. And purdy had what every niner fan agrees was the best team we’ve had since Shannahan got here. Jimmy actually got just as far with less talent than purdy had to work with. So yeah, we would be fine without purdy. This team as constructed today is not centered on the QB. Wasn’t with Jimmy and still isn’t with purdy. All we need is a QB that runs what shanny puts in front of him.