How many first round upsets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Sucks because the Kings played OKC well all year. Goes back to what @hrdboild said about over reacting to one series or a bad matchup I think. While Pelicans owned us their reddit was in free fall before our play-in game. And we still should have won that game if not for the 3 point bonanza we decided on this year. Hopefully we never hear spray 3 again.

I am glad it's the Pelicans who are getting spanked around by the Thunder, and not us.

Which also means that, yes, as much as it hurts me to say this, I am glad we decided not to show up in New Orleans, because I honestly do not think we would have any better of a showing than the Pelicans. Not against this Thunder team. They are as good as advertised.

I am glad it's the Pelicans who are getting spanked around by the Thunder, and not us.

Which also means that, yes, as much as it hurts me to say this, I am glad we decided not to show up in New Orleans, because I honestly do not think we would have any better of a showing than the Pelicans. Not against this Thunder team. They are as good as advertised.
I disagree. Styles make fights. We match up pretty good vs the Thunder. I’m not saying we win that series but we would’ve been a MUCH more competitive match up.

We would of taken this to at least 6 games imo

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

No, they're not. Kings would have won that series.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
MPJ really hates passing and when he DOES pass, it's almost always a howitzer that goes three feet over the guy he's passing to's head.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think the Nuggets are in for it - Twolves are gonna be motivated, and the losses last year were close and without Naz. I do like the Thunder though overall.
Thunder are going to be a problem for the foreseeable future but I don't think they are Playoff battle tested just yet to advance past those two teams but then again, I could well be wrong and they make it to the WCF

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I feel like a dufus now for picking Phoenix to win their series...

Perhaps when Phoenix lost a 6 game NBA Finals series in 2021 with three starters under the age of 25 and a HoF veteran point guard running the offense and then came back the next season and finished with the best regular season record in the league maybe they shouldn't have over-reacted to a playoff loss by trading all but one of their starters, firing their coach, and dumping 4 unprotected first-round picks into the Kevin Durant career turnstile? To add insult to (eventual) injury, KD is about to turn 36 and he just finished 6th overall in minutes played this season. Oh and he's also scheduled to compete in the Olympics this summer.

Maybe Mikal Bridges and DeAndre Ayton have both flat-lined (so far) since leaving Phoenix but this still looks like a massive missed opportunity at a dynasty team to me.
when the camera went on the owner, that blank stare he had down 20+ basically said it all

Thunder are going to be a problem for the foreseeable future but I don't think they are Playoff battle tested just yet to advance past those two teams but then again, I could well be wrong and they make it to the WCF
Just to be clear, the Thunder, in order to make it to the WCF, will have to advance past either the Mavs or Clippers, which I think they can do in a 7 game series with home court advantage.

I disagree. Styles make fights. We match up pretty good vs the Thunder. I’m not saying we win that series but we would’ve been a MUCH more competitive match up.
We would of taken this to at least 6 games imo
I respect both of your opinions, but I will also have to, respectfully, disagree with them. As I see this Thunder team drastically differently than do you (and others out there). There is a reason they're the #1 seed, and we're back home watching everything unfold.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Just like how the Suns were to have won their series against Minnesota, right??? :p:p:p
It's actually nothing like that. I've seen the Kings and the Thunder play, and you can't convince me that the Thunder can beat the Kings four times in seven games. I had not seen the Suns and the Timberwolves play before this series, so my statement had nothing to do with Xs and Os, or even any belief in the Suns, and everything to do with my refusal to believe in any team with Karl-Anthony Towns on it.

Either way, the Thunder are still not "as good as advertised."

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Sucks because the Kings played OKC well all year. Goes back to what @hrdboild said about over reacting to one series or a bad matchup I think. While Pelicans owned us their reddit was in free fall before our play-in game. And we still should have won that game if not for the 3 point bonanza we decided on this year. Hopefully we never hear spray 3 again.
That sound you hear in the distance is Mike Brown snort-laughing at the notion.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The nice thing is that the Pelicans will rip their team apart after OKC finishes the sweep and who knows if Zion will ever be healthy enough for a deep playoff run so hopefully we can just avoid them if we are ever a legit contender but don't have an answer.

The nice thing is that the Pelicans will rip their team apart after OKC finishes the sweep and who knows if Zion will ever be healthy enough for a deep playoff run so hopefully we can just avoid them if we are ever a legit contender but don't have an answer.
And maybe one of their F's hit the market? The Kings issue beyond any particular team is the system. The Pels did the best at taking it away this last season, but even the Warriors in the playoffs last year put a pretty big dent in it. I think it's safer to assume the system doesn't translate to playoff ball period in any consistent manner as opposed to it just being matchup oriented. 4 series of 7 games is a lot to get over it doesn't stay consistent.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
And maybe one of their F's hit the market? The Kings issue beyond any particular team is the system. The Pels did the best at taking it away this last season, but even the Warriors in the playoffs last year put a pretty big dent in it. I think it's safer to assume the system doesn't translate to playoff ball period in any consistent manner as opposed to it just being matchup oriented. 4 series of 7 games is a lot to get over it doesn't stay consistent.
If so great - I don't think BI is our guy though.

I don't want to read too much into the series with the Warriors last year - I think an evenly officiated (which includes much harsher discipline to Green after the stomp, which imho was warranted) series and if the Kings had a little more experience under their belts would have turned out differently. Honestly to that end, the two play-in games aided us exponentially. I think we'd have played OKC tougher than NOP is, but ultimately two winner-take-all games in the span of a week may end up being better experience than going out in 5 or 6 would as well as helping us critically address the needs moving forward. Of course maybe winning both of those and going 7 (and beating OKC) even better, but to some end, being exposed may drive us forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.