MLB Thread - 2024

“The San Francisco Giants totally offered the same deals to Ohtani and Yamamoto. Totally. You gotta believe me bro.” - Farhan

I didn’t expect anything this offseason, so it’s whatever. I’m still *hurt* by Harper. There’s ZERO reason you don’t push an offer higher for a 26 year old (at the time) guy of his status who you are actually for real in the final two for. There was no reason not to push to 350mil. None. (Other than the cheap thing, Which they obviously are)
Yeah, it’s really too bad because it does seem like they are finally opening up the offers to the big names, but they are still paying the price for the original sins of coming up short with Harper and getting too cute with Gausman, among other things, which left them with a mediocre team that simply isn’t appealing to the big names who can get the same money elsewhere.

Yamamoto stings extra because he’s following Ohtani to the dang Dodgers, while the Giants supposedly had been trying to court him for a long time, and you’d think if the Giants have any chance of landing a top free agent it would be a pitcher… but the Giants haven’t really had much luck even with the pitchers (forget the details but I remember this was an issue with Lester even in the immediate glow of the title teams).

Last edited:
would Blake Snell, the reigning Cy young winner, be considered a major free agent signing that has long eluded the Giants?

Because I’m getting the drift that it wouldn’t be viewed as that and I’m wondering why Yamamoto is rated higher.

Well, let’s see if the Giants even get Snell

I’m really more upset about missing Yamamoto just because it’s simply another miss. Like last season I was giddy about an overpay for Correa simply because it broke the cycle of the Giants not landing any top free agents.

I didn’t want the Giants to give Yamamoto 12 years. A lot of those pitchers that come from Nippon are ace material for only a couple of years before not. Ohtani might have the longest run of high level pitching from that lot, but even he may never pitch full time again.

Last edited:
Seems on par with a Giants off-season. Not expected back until after the all star break. Glad Disco is gone though

From a long-term perspective, this is a pretty amazing deal for us. Ray as an opt out, but if he's not back until after the all-star break, he's pretty much guaranteed not to do it. And Ray has been outstanding the last 2 seasons and really figured out his big BB/9 problem before getting hurt.

Pretty easy buy-low considering we didn't have to give up anything. Assuming Ray gets back to form, it's a home-run deal. Just can't be the "only" thing we do.

That’s an amazing deal. Addition by subtraction getting rid of Haniger and DeSclifani.
Yeah. Haniger probably at best is around a league average bat, if he could stay healthy and Disco at this point is basically topped out as like a mediocre 5th starter. If Ray comes back and is anywhere close to his last 2 healthy seasons, he's an elite #2.

Gotta keep going, but a very good buy-low move.

I’m guessing the Mets just felt their money burning a hole in their pocket.

Who watches Sean Manaea last season and decides he’s good for 2 years $28 million?

Man, this is even a more Giants off-season than past ones in regards to free agency.

Even the consolation guys like Stroman and Imanaga are out. Sounds like they are out on Snell as well.

They didn’t even get the consolation guys we were joking about…no Harrison Bader!!!

dude12

Hall of Famer
Man, this is even a more Giants off-season than past ones in regards to free agency.

Even the consolation guys like Stroman and Imanaga are out. Sounds like they are out on Snell as well.

They didn’t even get the consolation guys we were joking about…no Harrison Bader!!!
Yeah but we got some AAAA guy from Cincinnati to play OF….not even going to bother looking up his name. They could sign Chapman and Bellinger but we know that’s not going to happen

Giants sign Jordan Hicks and will convert him to a starter. 4 / 44mil
Like it. Still young-ishat 27, and dude has some serious giddy-up on his fastball. One of the hardest throwers in the MLB.

I'd honestly rather run upside moves like this than investing in old win-now vets. We just aren't going to compete this year or next. But guys who can still be good in 2-3 years while our young guys develop? Maybe then you go add the win-now pieces to actually compete.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Seriously, why would Las Vegas want John Fisher around. Appears to be inept as a MLB owner
The bigger question is why do 29 other owners put up with John Fisher tanking a franchise to the point where free agents won't sign with them, fans won't go to games, and all he does is take revenue sharing money and put it in his pockets. He should be forced out of MLB entirely not granted free relocation.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Giants having a sneaky great off-season.

Getting rid of a bunch of deadweight, getting a young stud CF prospect in Lee, super buy-low on Ray, who's been a front-line starter before getting hurt last year.

If nothing else, this year should be super fun basically turning this squad over fully to the youth movement. I still think we're probably in play for Snell, too.
I would not give Snell the contract they are asking for. Pitcher performance is way too volatile for that type of performance sans a handful of guys. But I would absolutely give Cody Bellinger a big contract. Now that would bring home a great off-season. Sign him, take pressure off your younger bats, improve the lineup and defense, give your team another lefty bat. Trade excess outfielders for low key pitchers who can help. Pray your young pitchers in the pipeline can become who you want them to be.

Yeah, the second article is also the same one I linked to in my previous post. The A's need to stay in Oakland. Having the Raiders out here in Vegas feels weird enough as it is - I can only imagine how weird it will feel to have the A's out here as well.

Question for mods...I only assume @PurpleHaze posted the link to that article because he/she didn't realize that I had linked to the same article in my previous post. When I link to an article using the "Insert Link" function, does it show up looking like regular ol' "boring" text to the rest of you, like it does to me? I've always linked to an article this way, but if it doesn't show up to others as a visible link to an article, please let me know so I can provide additional clarity whenever I post a link Vs a regular ol' comment. Thanks!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I would not give Snell the contract they are asking for. Pitcher performance is way too volatile for that type of performance sans a handful of guys. But I would absolutely give Cody Bellinger a big contract. Now that would bring home a great off-season. Sign him, take pressure off your younger bats, improve the lineup and defense, give your team another lefty bat. Trade excess outfielders for low key pitchers who can help. Pray your young pitchers in the pipeline can become who you want them to be.
Bellinger is the last name I want. His last season screamed contract year magic. Imagine the dude with a massive deal reverting back to late-year Dodger guy.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Yeah, the second article is also the same one I linked to in my previous post. The A's need to stay in Oakland. Having the Raiders out here in Vegas feels weird enough as it is - I can only imagine how weird it will feel to have the A's out here as well.

Question for mods...I only assume @PurpleHaze posted the link to that article because he/she didn't realize that I had linked to the same article in my previous post. When I link to an article using the "Insert Link" function, does it show up looking like regular ol' "boring" text to the rest of you, like it does to me? I've always linked to an article this way, but if it doesn't show up to others as a visible link to an article, please let me know so I can provide additional clarity whenever I post a link Vs a regular ol' comment. Thanks!
Yes, it shows up as plain text; when you hover over it a line shows up underneath indicating it is a link but that's it. I know @Mr. S£im Citrus typically changes the font color for links to make them stand out. I'm sure there are also other ways to indicate that it's a link. Unfortunately, the forum software doesn't automatically indicate it as such.

Yes, it shows up as plain text; when you hover over it a line shows up underneath indicating it is a link but that's it. I know @Mr. S£im Citrus typically changes the font color for links to make them stand out. I'm sure there are also other ways to indicate that it's a link. Unfortunately, the forum software doesn't automatically indicate it as such.
Thanks! I will keep that in mind moving forward :).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I cannot wait to watch a lousy stress free 75-81 win team that has absolutely no hope or prayer of making the playoffs. I thank you for your service, Farhan.