MLB Thread - 2024

Of course

So who is next for the Giants to whiff on before they settle on the Harrison Bader’s, Kike Hernández’, and CJ Cron’s?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Big market teams are going to big market. Was hoping he wouldn’t sign with the Dodgers but of course, he was always going to sign with those butt heads

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
We're just beyond screwed. How the **** do we ever hope to compete with LA?
Don't even worry about it. The Dodgers will run the table in the regular season until about mid August then nosedive and bomb out of the playoffs just like they do every year. One player (even one as good as Ohtani) isn't going to change destiny.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Imagine we counter by signing Bellinger who immediately reverts back to final seasons form of LA Bellinger. 8 seasons of a dude hitting .196 with 12 home runs.

I didn’t expect my Cubs to land him and I’m sure it hurts more for you guys landing with the Dodgers but this was probably the best landing spot for him from a legacy perspective. He has a shot to go down as the best ever

Exactly. In true A’s disciple fashion, Farhan (who I believe was still with the A’s when Billy drafted Chapman) is going to give him a one year deal to rehab his value and then either dump him for middling prospects at the trade deadline or balk at his price next offseason and let him walk for nothing (another Oakland Athletics special)
Ah, ok. Has Chapman fallen off so badly to settle for a one-year deal? I had somewhat talked myself into feeling good about Matt Williams coming back to coach Matt Chapman.

dude12

Hall of Famer
At this point, and I may be missing some guys, but Farhan needs to ink a couple of these guys…..Yamamoto, Korean CF guy, Bellinger?, Blake Snell I think is out there…..I feel like I’m missing someone off the top of my head.

Those guys above immediately bring some juice to a team. Signing a guy like Hoskins would be solid but Giants need more than just solid. Really need a middle of the order dude to anchor it. Rotation needs a clear cut number 2.

Other wise, Farhan needs to sell his soul to the devil and hope that Luciano is the next great SS, that Meckler and Matos are the next great OFs in Giants history.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At this point, and I may be missing some guys, but Farhan needs to ink a couple of these guys…..Yamamoto, Korean CF guy, Bellinger?, Blake Snell I think is out there…..I feel like I’m missing someone off the top of my head.

Those guys above immediately bring some juice to a team. Signing a guy like Hoskins would be solid but Giants need more than just solid. Really need a middle of the order dude to anchor it. Rotation needs a clear cut number 2.

Other wise, Farhan needs to sell his soul to the devil and hope that Luciano is the next great SS, that Meckler and Matos are the next great OFs in Giants history.
I mean, I’m just gonna keep saying it because it’s gonna happen but you guys are gonna get Chaptain America and like it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It’s been a long while since we’ve had a Bobby Bonilla style weird “only in baseball” contract. Just didn’t expect that contract to be Shohei Ohtani’s

SLAB

Hall of Famer
You’re not gonna like me saying this but I’m guessing this is so the Dodgers have enough money to go after Yamamoto too lol
Im not even mad: they’re just a superior franchise in all aspects: it isn’t a rivalry anymore. We aren’t even a little brother.

dude12

Hall of Famer
That contract structure is BS and shouldn’t be legal.
So, are the Dodgers going to have that delayed salary count against the cap at the end?

Easy fix for baseball is to count the value of yearly contract against the cap to stop this type of shenanigans.

And some of the baseball writers have the gall to say there is nothing wrong with baseball. The casual fan will watch games when they know a star player.