MLB Thread - 2023

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Bochy had some terrible seasons before he left. It was time for a new voice after XX amount of years. I won’t deny he’s the superior manager, but can’t really argue it might have been time to move on.

I do think Kapler is a flawed manager. That said, I think he is a very solid to good manager. He gets way way more out of these terrible teams that Farhan gives him than they have any right giving.

The Giants being bad is on Farhan. Kapler having to platoon everyone and not having a full usable rotation is on Farhan. If Farhan was able to get worthwhile players, the platooning wouldn’t be as prevalent. The bad-faith arguments like “Judge / Other Important FA didn’t sign because of platoon concerns” is silly. If we have a Judge, he doesn’t platoon. If we kept Gausman in stead of guys like Wood and DiSclafani and Stripling we’d have another ace instead of three guys who eat innings behind an opener. But instead it’s constant scrap-heap diving for busted reclamation projects who can only flourish in the exact right situation.

Farhan should be axed. And with that, Kapler would likley be collateral damage because you want the Pres and manager to be their own entity. This regime ain’t it, and I assume another failed offseason and following lost year will be the final nail in their coffins.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here’s the deal on Zaidi, and to be fair, not making playoffs in 4 of 5 years, he can get axed and no one really can argue it but what we don’t know is how much is ownership hurting? The lack of trade deadline moves was a killer. Was that ownership driven to stay within the numbers?
And Slab, everyone knows that with a guy like Judge he’s not platooning …….those guys are obvious. Still, there is a crap ton of hitting for the main hitters on this roster all the time. This is either on Kapler or Zaidi nerd ball spreadsheet decisions or it’s both. That needs to go. Platoon for some of your places in the lineup, not 1-9.

Time to turn it over to new voice

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Holy crap.

I think Farhan gets one more year. Otherwise. Why wouldn't you announce this at the same time?
The Joc / players not caring thing had to be the final nail. I still think Kapler constantly did as good or better than the trash talent Farhan has given him.

Wow. Very surprised despite many calling for his head.

I can only guess the word that nobody likes Gabe were true.

Or that Farhan actually truly did expect better results from the rosters he has assembled the past two seasons.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Thank you SF for dumping Kapler. He earned it but it’s more than fair to say Zaidi is in the clock. Probably should dump him with Kapler and start fresh. Hearing Melvin is a name if let go by Padres…..please do a deeper search than this.

Joc and those players who quit on the team need to GTFO too.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Apparently the Rays only drew 19,000 fans for their home playoff game today yet Tampa Bay gets to keep their team because, why?? The Oakland A's had a record-breaking crowd of 54,000 fans show up for their last playoff game in 2019 and have played in Oakland for twice as long as the Rays have even existed as a franchise yet MLB has decided to take less public money from the state of Nevada than the city of Oakland has already raised and back out of a stadium deal in the East Bay on land that the city owns with a completed EIR so that they can start the process all over again in Las Vegas. No I'm not going to let it go. The only problem with the A's in Oakland is the guy who owns them.

Man, as enjoyable as it is to witness a Dodger loss in the postseason, you gotta feel for Kershaw. The dude just can't seem to figure it out once he gets to the postseason. At this point, it's all mental. Not 99.9% mental. It is 100% mental.

Man, as enjoyable as it is to witness a Dodger loss in the postseason, you gotta feel for Kershaw. The dude just can't seem to figure it out once he gets to the postseason. At this point, it's all mental. Not 99.9% mental. It is 100% mental.
Wasn't it Yogi Berra who said that Baseball is 90% mental and the rest is all in your head?

Looks like it’s going to be Bob Melvin. I’m very okay with it. Hopefully it’s as fruitful as the last San Diego manager we poached.

((After we flop next season and Farhan gets fired tho))
Honestly, It's gonna be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT for ANY MANAGER to come in and replicate what Bochy was able to do for us. I almost feel like we hit the jackpot with him.

With that being said, if Melvin comes in and gives us even half of what Bochy was able to give us as a manager, I will be a VERY happy Giants fan.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Looks like it’s going to be Bob Melvin. I’m very okay with it. Hopefully it’s as fruitful as the last San Diego manager we poached.

((After we flop next season and Farhan gets fired tho))
Bob Melvin is a very very good MLB manager. He had 100% roster turnover in Oakland and managed two completely different groups of players to 96 and 97 win seasons in his tenure with the A's with just two rebuilding years between them. I love that dude. I hope he finds success in San Francisco.