MLB Thread - 2023

Also, could we finally have something of a rotation going here finally? Webb-Cobb-Harrison-Beck? Manaea stays in the long man role for just 1 opener game and the have the Rogers brothers, Walker, Jackson, Brebbia, Doval as your main BP arms.

Not happy sending Matos back down to activate Yaz
I mean, he's a better pro than Matos is right now and we're trying to make a wild card push. I love Matos, think he's going to be an awesome 1 or 2 hole hitter down the line, but he's a below average MLB hitter right now.

Starting next year though; for sure. Turn it over to Meckler/Matos/Ramos.

Lawd this team sucks.

PLAYOFFS HERE WE COME!
I mean...It is an odd year...

WE'RE GONNA BE HOSTING A CHAMPIONSHIP PARADE IN SAN FRANCISO NEXT YEAR, FOLKS!!! MARK YOUR CALENDARS! MAKE YOUR PLANS! REQUEST YOUR TIME OFF! 2024 is gonna be OUR YEAR!!!

Y'all thought 2010, and 2012, and 2014 were bad? Y'all don't know the definition of torture. Just you wait!!!! :p:p:p

5 innings for Wynn! Love that they’re stretching him out.
Yeah I've had enough of the olds. And Stripling has the audacity to complain about his role? Like bro, you've been ass the whole year, maybe worry about that before complaining about your role.

Disco
Manaea (although he's been decent since June. He can stay)
Wood
Stripling

Fire em all into the sun.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yeah I've had enough of the olds. And Stripling has the audacity to complain about his role? Like bro, you've been ass the whole year, maybe worry about that before complaining about your role.

Disco
Manaea (although he's been decent since June. He can stay)
Wood
Stripling

Fire em all into the sun.
Disco, Wood, and Stripling can all kick rocks for sure. Especially Wood and Stripling complaining in their trash seasons. I deal with Disco enough, he sucks, but it’s not really his fault Farhan gave him a deal. I have nothing against Manaea and he seems like a cool dude, good guy to be and have around.

Sucks we fell off, but I'm honestly pretty stoked for the Giants future. I like a lot of these young guys and think if we don't totally flop in FA this year, get some actual vet talent around these young guys, we'll have a great shot to be a good playoff team next season.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Sucks we fell off, but I'm honestly pretty stoked for the Giants future. I like a lot of these young guys and think if we don't totally flop in FA this year, get some actual vet talent around these young guys, we'll have a great shot to be a good playoff team next season.
Thinking of some of youngsters…

Bailey will be a defensive backbone, but almost anemic offensively.

Matos I have big hopes for. Not a centerpiece of a lineup, but top-of-the-order type with some speed and plus-defense. Meckler falls into this category as well, though I’m admittedly a little less familiar with him.

Schmitt can have the glove of Craw, but needs to learn so much plate discipline. He got a little better after he got sent down, so hopefully he can keep learning.

The big one on offense is Luciano. He needs to stay healthy, and the sky can still be the limit. While the other guys can be great complimentary pieces on a good team, Luciano can be one of THE GUYS on a good team. Obviously not there yet, but I have high expectations and his cup of coffee hasn’t changed anything.

Thinking of some of youngsters…

Bailey will be a defensive backbone, but almost anemic offensively.

Matos I have big hopes for. Not a centerpiece of a lineup, but top-of-the-order type with some speed and plus-defense. Meckler falls into this category as well, though I’m admittedly a little less familiar with him.

Schmitt can have the glove of Craw, but needs to learn so much plate discipline. He got a little better after he got sent down, so hopefully he can keep learning.

The big one on offense is Luciano. He needs to stay healthy, and the sky can still be the limit. While the other guys can be great complimentary pieces on a good team, Luciano can be one of THE GUYS on a good team. Obviously not there yet, but I have high expectations and his cup of coffee hasn’t changed anything.
I'm still not even close to giving up on Bailey's offense. I don't think it'll ever be "great", but I think he can be average-above average offensive catcher. Very easy to forget, but dude has 120 PA at AA and AAA combined lol. So he's essentially learning to hit at the MLB level and while he's really fallen off, he's not unplayable offensively for a catcher. But honestly, whatever you get from him offensively is just gravy while he legitimately has a chance to be the best defensive catcher of all time.

Matos and Meckler have all the makings of a 1-2 for a long time. Just elite speed, elite bat control and dudes who get on base for the big boys. Once again, honestly pretty impressive how well both guys have done with such little time spent at upper levels of the minor leagues. I think both guys have a great chance to be above average offensive players with elite speed.

Schmitt is a "wait and see", but I think he's got a MLB job for a long time with his defensive versatility. He can be a bench player/defensive sub for a long time, even if he never figures out the offense.

Agreed on Luciano. Just incredible bat speed and kid can hit the ball a mile. He's the guy with real "star" upside of this grouping.

But just for everybody, I think some patience is needed. Just none of these guys have very much seasoning above AA, much less AAA. Ramos is the only guy with significant high minor league level experience.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’ll say it again, I don’t think Kapler is that good. Real questions whether players like playing for him based on the constant chatter. Clubhouse seems to be split on guys who give 2 craps(Webb) and those who are going through the motion (Joc).
This is year 5 for Zaidi. Missed playoffs 4 of 5 years. That’s not good. I personally think he gave Kapler enough of the platoon setups to compete which they did until just after the trade deadline. The question is did ownership say no to any major trade deadline acquisitions or is that Zaidi trying to be the smartest guy in the room and go with an AJ Pollock low level deal to help platoon system.

Biggest mistake was allowing Bochy to go. Bochy >>>>>>> Kapler/Zaidi. I think if they make changes then the Kapler/Zaidi pairing needs to both go and bring in a baseball guy again to manage and not a guy who is tied into the nerd ball his GM is pushing.

Writers coming out with good articles on if the Giants have ruined their perception with potential FAs because of all the platooning and jumping ship on Wood, Manaea, and Stripling and moving them to a buckets role. Granted, those pitchers did not help their own cause.

Bottom line is they need a few star power guys to go with the young guys and not keep trying to strike gold on the AAAA guys like Wade and Yaz because there is more failures than successes going this route and although Wade and Yaz have been solid pieces, we need better

Kapler is without a doubt a good in game/strategic manager. This team had two starting pitchers and not a legitimate top or middle of the order bat on the roster.

Yet this team was rolling for awhile but they are a 70 win team on paper and they’ll finish at or around 80.

The narrative seems to be growing that he’s fostering a bad team culture though. I don’t know if it’s true or not but reading stories that nobody seems to give a crap. Logan Webb’s comments and Kapler seeming pretty unaffected as well.

Seems they’ll both be back but I’m growing pretty impatient with the lack of long term farm success and the inability to get free agents that aren’t presumed cooked. Basically I only see Bailey as someone who has shown he’ll likely be an everyday player in the show for awhile. But that’s for his defensive prowess and I think he’ll be a good everyday bat as well. Obviously not Posey valuable with the bat…but good.

The rest are still mere potential that I go hot and cold on. Do we still think Ramos is going to do anything?

Last edited: