Lottery Discussion Thread

dang just read that we set an NBA record by being a lottery team for 6 stright seasons. maloofed.
Wait...I'm sure the Clippers were a lottery team for longer than that during their suckage before last year.

Edit: yup, for what its worth, the Clip Joint was in the lottery 8 straight from 1997-2005

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
right so i just got up and mangaded to watch it on youtube without finding out where we are drafting before..... im sorry but it has to be rigged

but im gutted 5th pick what are we going to do with that??? we need to trade up to get a big hitter or were back down there again next year....

what do you think

1.hornets AD
2.bobcats MKG/Beal
3.Wizards Drummond/MKG
4.Cleavland Thomas Robinson
5.Sacramento

no idea who we will get but is that about right???
Early money would be on Drummond and Barnes being the two guys, but Drummond is the sort of guy who can fly up a draft in a hurry, and if so we could get stuck with Beal/Barnes or some such.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You are going to have to come with a solution to get a shot blocker because we have heard it before. If one isn't avaiable, what is you solutuion? There are only so many notes you can write that Robinson doesn't solve our problems but none will make him into a 7 foot shot blocker? So we do the best we can.
So here's a question. Just what if, Robinson was the next Karl Malone. Would you pass on him just because he wasn't a shotblocker? Not directed at you Glenn, but just a general quesion. At some point, you take the best talent available, and figure out the other stuff later.

Well, I must be a magician because I've been saying for a long time that the Hornets would have picked 1st. I don't know and I can't have any proof if the lottery is rigged, but at least for the first pick is quite strange for me. Cleveland loses Lebron, they get the top pick. The Hornets loses Paul, they get they top pick. The best player is from Chicago, the Bulls get the top pick. Well, it is what it is, I just wanted to express my thoughts.

Anyways, about the Kings. I feel like we won the lottery. I can't believe we didn't slip this time. We were 5th, and we will pick 5th. Amazing! I also believe that this will be a strange draft. I'm not so sure that everything will go as expected. Davis will be the number 1, no doubt. But then, I can see the Lolcats not drafting MKG. Do they really want him? They are so bad, I can see them going for the local guy, Barnes, who could easily put up 18/20 PPG from day one. MKG would be completely wasted in that team. Then, remember we are talking about MJ, the guy who picked Kwame Brown. Drummond could be another guy I can see them picking.
Then, Washington and Cleveland. If MKG and Drummond are still available, I'm not so sure they would go with MKG. They just picked 2 young SF in the last draft (Vasely and Singleton). Drummond or Robinson could be their guy. The Cavs then, they will be looking at Beal and MKG (if still available). If MKG is off the table, no way they don't draft Beal.
So, for the Kings, I still see a 5% chances of landing MKG. Remember last year, we thought Brandon Knight would be gone at 7th. Barnes, Drummond, Robinson and beal could all be available here. Probably we will be choosing between Drummond and Barnes, but I'm pretty sure something crazy will happen on draft night.

Here's a riveting conversation with Adrienne Maloof after the lottery from draftexpress.com

Q: How do you feel about getting the fifth overall pick?

Maloof-Nassif: Well, I would have liked to have gotten the first pick, but it wasn't in the cards tonight.

Q: Any particular position you're looking to fill with your pick?

Maloof-Nassif: We'll have to see. My brothers are kind of running that end of the business, so we'll see what happens?

Q: So you consider tonight a success?

Maloof-Nassif: I do

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1wS4E8ckf
http://www.draftexpress.com

Wait...I'm sure the Clippers were a lottery team for longer than that during their suckage before last year.

Edit: yup, for what its worth, the Clip Joint was in the lottery 8 straight from 1997-2005
saw it on Marcos Bretons twitter guess he was wrong, clippers better watchout though were coming for that record.

FWIW, I hate, hate, hate what has become of the draft. Here we are again debating the relative merits of 18-19 year olds who are not ready to play in the NBA. It leaves teams in need (like us) drafting the most talented players who are not physically, emotionally or psychologically ready to be in this league (there is an occassional exception, but generally no - they are not ready). Meanwhile on the other end, these college basketball programs have to the play the "one and done" recruiting game every year.

The lottery system stinks.

/rant

Well 5 isn't worse than we were projected to have. So, considering the Kings track record, I'd say last night was a success.

Now who to pick?

I would love if MKG fell to 5 but that's doubtful.

Right now I'd love to have Barnes because I think he can contribute right away and years to come. Drummond is high-risk, high reward and right now this franchise can't afford a bust.

The only way I want Beal on this team is if MT, IT or Jimmer are out.

Maloof-Nassif: We'll have to see. My brothers are kind of running that end of the business, so we'll see what happens?
That's the fundamental problem with this team. The Maloofs should stay out of decisions on team needs. Leave it up to your GM, please.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well 5 isn't worse than we were projected to have. So, considering the Kings track record, I'd say last night was a success.

Now who to pick?

Right now I'd love to have Barnes because I think he can contribute right away and years to come. Drummond is high-risk, high reward and right now this franchise can't afford a bust.

MKG is still a possibility. We know Davis goes #1. But there are 5 guys that are really in play for the next 3 picks: Barnes/Beal/Drummond/MKG/Robinson. (Barnes may be a tiny tier below the other four for most teams.) So no more than three of those guys will go, and we'll have the opportunity to select between at least two of them. Beal is getting a ton of hype and the Wizards may be keying in on him - certainly the Wizards fans think he's their guy right now. I think people are sleeping on Drummond a bit - he could bust, but he's the kind of talent that goes top-4. Robinson is also a tempting guy at the top. I wouldn't be shocked (as of right now) for us to have the choice between Barnes and MKG.

For us, the worst case is probably if the two that fall are Beal and Drummond. Beal is a logjam player for us and would necessitate some trades that probably wouldn't bring full value (because we'd be making them under duress). Drummond could be great, but will take a while to develop and has that bust potential I think we'd like to stay away from right now.

But any way you look at it, we're not only going to get a good player, but we'll be able to choose our favorite of at least two. (Obviously, we'll also have the opportunity to consider guys like Henson, Sullinger, PJones.)

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Now who to pick?

I waffle on that. Cousins was high risk, high reward. The major difference is that Cousins played hard on the basketball court.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be curious to see what Petrie does in this draft. I wouldn't touch Drummond. Guys who lack fire in college ALWAYS scare me off. MKG would be the best fit for this Kings team though Barnes brings some of what we need to the 3 as well. Honestly, I'd look to trade the pick for veteran help but that's not usually in the Geoff playbook. Nor is trading down, but if it were to happen a guy I really like is Jeff Taylor.

M

Mal

Got a solution? How about, the day the season ends all the dates from the last month of the season are put in a hat and a date is drawn now more recent than the last two weeks of the season. Teams standings on that date would determine draft order. No team would then tank the last week or two of the season.