Lottery Discussion Thread

I wouldn't be so sure. They have absolutely no option for low-post scoring. None. Biyombo is a shot blocker, and that's about it. Drummond ought to develop into a capable, if not great, low-post scorer.

Beal wouldn't shock me (again, a consistent scorer), and Barnes wouldn't (scorer, from UNC) if he weren't such a reach. MKG doesn't make much sense in Charlotte, again, because they need to focus on scoring, and Robinson as a smaller face-up PF probably doesn't tempt them as much as Drummond. But that's just one random dude's opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
I think the Bobcats simply need talent and a guy who could help pull them out of embarrassment. MKG could help with that greatly. If they like Beal or Barnes, I could see that as well. Drummond will take at least 3 years to become a solid offensive player and it is unknown if that will even happen.

I actually think Jared Sullinger will be the best player available when we pick. Unfortunately he's not what really what we need. I predict Barnes or another lame trade

bajaden

Hall of Famer
At this stage though Drummond is largely duplicative with Biyombo. Not, mind you, that talent evaluation has ever been Jordan's strong suit. Not sure how involved he'll be this tie, or whetehr he'll actually let his GM make the pick.
This is the man that drafted Kwame Brown, I believe.. So its not out of the question that he'll draft Drummond.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I actually think Jared Sullinger will be the best player available when we pick. Unfortunately he's not what really what we need. I predict Barnes or another lame trade
Sullinger would have to be a back up center for us. He's not a good fit next to Cuz. Actually he's a similar player with less height. I'd go with Moultrie over Sullinger. I'd even go with Meyers Leonard over Sullinger. Both have more upside.

Another lame trade?? The last time we traded a lottery pick, I believe, was 1991 when we got Mitch Richmond, which kinda turned out alright.

How mad would you guys be if the maloofs sell the pic to a team like the nets for 3 million and a future loto protected pic.
I would be mad, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised by anything the Maloofs do... we all know they're broke. Actually if they do that, you'd have a pretty good case they're not financially fit to be owners anymore. So it could end up being a good thing in the big picture :)

How mad would you guys be if the maloofs sell the pic to a team like the nets for 3 million and a future loto protected pic.
Pretty pissed. What good will a measly $3 million do for the team? And we need more help now. Of course, what I really want is new owners, a new coach and a new arena in downtown Sac. $3 million won't get me those either. :(

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just put out all my candles at the altar of the basketball god. Not sure they helped or not. Sort of like taking vitamin C and never catching a cold. Not sure what to give credit to. Anyway, as pointed out, it could be worse. At five we'll get a good player, and if someone above us gets a case of stupid, we might get a great player. One thing I'll predict is that the draft won't go the way most think it will. There will be what appears to be reaches, that will prove later not to be.

As far just trading the pick away. This is the deepest draft in that last 10 years. This is not the year to trade the pick away unless its a very good deal, and not as a throw in. You want a veteran player, then sign one in freeagency or trade someone off our roster for one. When you have guys like Terrence Jones projected down at 18th or 20th, and he would have been picked probably top ten last year, that shows you there are some very talented players in this draft.

Last edited:
As for the fifth pick, its kind of nowhere land for the Kings. I guess Barnes is the best fit, but he's underwhelmed so much in his college career that it's tough to be positive about him. Tar heels normally fare pretty well in the league. At least there's that.

As for "conspiracy" stuff, the word conspiracy is very ill fitting. It's ill fitting for the league's officiating issues as well. If it was revealed that the league has had officials influences important games or worked out a top pick for a certain team, would it truly shock everyone? This isn't like 9/11 stuff or Ancient Aliens theories that asks people to make a huge leap of faith to believe a harder to rationalize explanation of the past. The suspected hidden things here make business sense and aren't a huge leap, and in many ways make more sense than the official explanation or lack thereof. It's not like the steroids issue and coverup within MLB really shocked me or anyone who had been paying attention to the league. The world is full of suspected wrongdoings that people can deny up until real proof slips out. Hell, this is the team ran by the beloved and devoted to Sacramento Maloof family.

Whether it's true or not, I can't tell, but that doesn't make the questions surrounding the issue a conspiracy. It doesn't currently concern me because I've long since accepted that the league is completely messed up thanks to Stern's rule. I just don't like the hyperbolic use of the word conspiracy. Save the term for the truly outrageous. Don't use it to discredit legit suspicions.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Fortunately, history shows that the bottom feeders tend to make surprising draft picks leaving some real gems for Mr. Petrie. I'm always happy for his picks especially this year with such a deep draft. And 3 teams have two picks in the first round which surely breeds some draft day trades. At 5 there should be a number of players who can be immediate help to the Kings such as Gilcrist, Barnes, Jones. Heck even in second round there can be some good players available at 35.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As for the fifth pick, its kind of nowhere land for the Kings. I guess Barnes is the best fit, but he's underwhelmed so much in his college career that it's tough to be positive about him. Tar heels normally fare pretty well in the league. At least there's that.

As for "conspiracy" stuff, the word conspiracy is very ill fitting. It's ill fitting for the league's officiating issues as well. If it was revealed that the league has had officials influences important games or worked out a top pick for a certain team, would it truly shock everyone? This isn't like 9/11 stuff or Ancient Aliens theories that asks people to make a huge leap of faith to believe a harder to rationalize explanation of the past. The suspected hidden things here make business sense and aren't a huge leap, and in many ways make more sense than the official explanation or lack thereof. It's not like the steroids issue and coverup within MLB really shocked me or anyone who had been paying attention to the league. The world is full of suspected wrongdoings that people can deny up until real proof slips out. Hell, this is the team ran by the beloved and devoted to Sacramento Maloof family.

Whether it's true or not, I can't tell, but that doesn't make the questions surrounding the issue a conspiracy. It doesn't currently concern me because I've long since accepted that the league is completely messed up thanks to Stern's rule. I just don't like the hyperbolic use of the word conspiracy. Save the term for the truly outrageous. Don't use it to discredit legit suspicions.
Occam's Razor

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'd be ecstatic. That would be ground for the NBA to force a sale come hell or high water. If the Maloofs were to do something that stupid, the Kings would be forcibly sold without a doubt in my mind.

Looks like it's going to be Harrison Barnes.. I would be happy with that pick.. If he moves up look for Drummond or Robinson to move down.. Please god not Drummond. The guy is a Thabust in honor of Thabeet who was also a Conn alum.

At this stage though Drummond is largely duplicative with Biyombo. Not, mind you, that talent evaluation has ever been Jordan's strong suit. Not sure how involved he'll be this tie, or whetehr he'll actually let his GM make the pick.
Yeah, if Jordan goes with Drummond he's also risking being the guy that drafted both Kwame Brown and Andre Drummond. The Kings need what a player like Drummond can bring so at the very least Petrie gets someone who can do some of things the team needs.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Not what we need. Can't put up better than JT numbers in the role that is available. Still leaves us interior defense shy.
You are going to have to come with a solution to get a shot blocker because we have heard it before. If one isn't avaiable, what is you solutuion? There are only so many notes you can write that Robinson doesn't solve our problems but none will make him into a 7 foot shot blocker? So we do the best we can.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That means exactly nothing. In a conspiracy, what happends behind closed doors is the crime. It's rigged and it's obvious. Stern is thumbing his nose at everyone ! How much extra do you think Benson had to pay to get the first overall pick thrown in?

Until they do the ball selection in front of the cameras, I say it is rigged and no one can say it isnt because no one is there to see except the select few selected by the nba to witness....
I just had sex with one of your relatives but no one saw it. If anyone says that I did, I'll deny it but you all know I did it because no one saw it. Huh?

The last time we traded a lottery pick was last year.
Technically yes. Lol. Trading one lottery pick for another one three picks later and using it on the same guy we were probably going to take with our original pick, along with a swap of a couple role players...technically yes. But, trading a high lottery pick straight up for some sort of impact player like we did when we stole The Rock from the Warriors, that's more of 'trading a lottery pick' IMO than what we did last year.

I wonder if Charlotte might go with Beal.
With Cho being the GM, since he just arrived from Portland, he might think that bringing in a potential star guard, ala Brandon Roy, would be the easiest way to get the franchise moving forward.
They got to see Gerald Henderson play and if they don't think he has what it takes to be a star guard, I could see them taking a chance on Beal.

It's doubtful that's their thinking, but if they are looking for a player who can put up points and turn into a star player, then MKG isn't that type of player. I could see them going for Beal or Robinson if they are looking for a point producer.

right so i just got up and mangaded to watch it on youtube without finding out where we are drafting before..... im sorry but it has to be rigged

but im gutted 5th pick what are we going to do with that??? we need to trade up to get a big hitter or were back down there again next year....

what do you think

1.hornets AD
2.bobcats MKG/Beal
3.Wizards Drummond/MKG
4.Cleavland Thomas Robinson
5.Sacramento

no idea who we will get but is that about right???

Have never seen Drummond play, but based on what I've read, and our needs, I would pick him if available.

Yes, he's a project, and might be a bust. Plus, we need an upgrade at 3. All valid points. But, if he develops, we would have the most dominant front court in the league for the next decade. I would rather roll the dice than go with the other names mentioned at 5.