Kings win Summer League!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One thing this does is makes our players a degree more tradeable. This DEFINITELY increases our leverage in trade negotiations. That alone is a great thing.
Seriously dude? This is a celebratory thread about our Kings doing something good.

Congrats Kings, kings fans. Great fun watching a little unbelieving. I recommend taking a vacation to Point Reyes Station and watching kings basketball and having them win. At dinner in our rental house six of us had dinner and I had my iPad next to my plate during the third quarter, stealing glances, trying to be polite, but giving it away with joyful noises ( along with some groans). Luckily my family was feeling real good for me. Thanks, Kings, foa great vacation so far. Here's to VF21 and her oft empty cocktail glass. Slumber in peace.
Enjoy pt Reyes I'm sure wildlife is out in full effect 20131107_115012.jpg . Dont miss out in stinson beach either...

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The biggest thing which came out of summer league for me........Ty Corbin knows what he's doing and knows quickly how to play guys to their strengths. This guy can coach. He'll be an asset on our bench.

Good win, something to feel good about, go out and party tonight in Vegas, then get back to work tomorrow. Have to use this as a launching pad for the rest of the summer and going into camp as in reality, winning summer league will mean nothing a week from now. All that will matter is these guys learn from it, got the taste of winning and don't want to get back to that losing feeling we're known for.

Seriously dude? This is a celebratory thread about our Kings doing something good.
Of course, we may not want to trade any of them at this point! The bonding an experience like this can bring the best out of players and how they play as a team. That's something you can't trade for.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Of course, we may not want to trade any of them at this point!
At least not the ones who were there and make the roster. ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh but it's been so freaking long since we fans had something like this to feel good about. :oops:

This means much more for our young guys than it does for the fans. Their hard work payed off and hopefully it will give them confidence heading into the season.

Golden State was last years SL champion and they're a solid playoff team. Maybe a sign of things to come ;)

K

KingMilz

It's just nice to see guys play both ends of the floor and be able to overcome bad possessions/plays with solid defence that for me was the best possible thing to watch. There were games where guys would play poorly than make a game winning run or make a game changing defensive play.

Other thing is they all knew there role and what was expected of them, play hard and share the ball you will win over fans regardless of the win's and losses.

Props to the Kings SL team for playing the most enjoyable Kings basketball in nearly a decade.

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's the first step in the right direction. I don't think you'll be forced to buy one.
You are actually defending such nonsense? The Kings are already a laughing stock, stuff like that doesn't help our image. We also had a locker room celebration that probably rivaled what the Spurs just did in June. It's silly and dumb.

You are actually defending such nonsense? The Kings are already a laughing stock, stuff like that doesn't help our image. We also had a locker room celebration that probably rivaled what the Spurs just did in June. It's silly and dumb.
Who cares if they did? It's the first thing this team has won in over a decade. They should celebrate. Who cares what the rest of the league thinks of us anyway? Quit being so negative.

meh. it's all just part of the nba's desire to turn their league into a year-round sport. the draft and free agency have become major events in the last decade or so, due in no small part to fan engagement via social media, and summer league is a part of that vision, as well. in 2007, the nba actually re-branded it with the official title "nba summer league." in 2008, it expanded to 22 teams and earned big time corporate sponsorship. and last year brought a format change in which teams competed for a "summer league championship." the kings themselves didn't decide to produce "Victory in Vegas" shirts on a whim (in fact, you'll find no sign of the sacramento kings anywhere on the shirt); it's all just a part of the nba's expansion of their brand...

You're undervaluing the aspect of finding joy and happiness in things. Anything on a regular basis, if at all possible

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They had fun and there isn't a damned thing wrong with that. If you think it's silly and dumb, fine. Ignore it. And you know what? I couldn't possibly care less about "our image" and whether you and others think we're a laughing stock. This young team is just learning what it feels like to win. More power to them.

You know what's silly and dumb? Getting your panties in a bunch over some KIDS celebrating a win that nobody thought they'd achieve. After all the doom and gloom and somber atmosphere that's surrounded this team for close to a decade, I'm very happy to see the change.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
meh. it's all just part of the nba's desire to turn their league into a year-round sport. the draft and free agency have become major events in the last decade or so, due in no small part to fan engagement via social media, and summer league is a part of that vision, as well. in 2007, the nba actually re-branded it with the official title "nba summer league." in 2008, it expanded to 22 teams and earned big time corporate sponsorship. and last year brought a format change in which teams competed for a "summer league championship." the kings themselves didn't decide to produce "Victory in Vegas" shirts on a whim (in fact, you'll find no sign of the sacramento kings anywhere on the shirt); it's all just a part of the nba's expansion of their brand...
...and I don't think there's a damned thing wrong with it. :)

They had fun and there isn't a damned thing wrong with that. If you think it's silly and dumb, fine. Ignore it. And you know what? I couldn't possibly care less about "our image" and whether you and others think we're a laughing stock. This young team is just learning what it feels like to win. More power to them.

You know what's silly and dumb? Getting your panties in a bunch over some KIDS celebrating a win that nobody thought they'd achieve. After all the doom and gloom and somber atmosphere that's surrounded this team for close to a decade, I'm very happy to see the change.
Wait, what? Nobody thought they'd win? Did you pull that out of your back side? It's summer league. Teams are filled with draft picks, benchers and guys who will never step foot on an nba court. We actually had real rotation guys on the roster. Doesn't seem like that much of an accomplishment to me. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm happy they won. I just don't approve of the organization promoting and selling t-shirts to celebrate a summer league championship.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wait, what? Nobody thought they'd win? Did you pull that out of your back side? It's summer league. Teams are filled with draft picks, benchers and guys who will never step foot on an nba court. We actually had real rotation guys on the roster. Doesn't seem like that much of an accomplishment to me. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm happy they won. I just don't approve of the organization promoting and selling t-shirts to celebrate a summer league championship.
Think it was established somewhere above that that was the NBA's doing. SOMEBODY was going to be wearing Victory in Vegas T-Shirts at the end of the Summer League tourney, just happened to be us. Now whether we should be promoting them on the Kings gear website, eh... I guess as long as they have already been made by the NBA, why not? Not something to be ashamed of. Just not something to be actively touting very much. I'm not going to be caught wearing one. But then again, I'm not a silly goose.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Think it was established somewhere above that that was the NBA's doing. SOMEBODY was going to be wearing Victory in Vegas T-Shirts at the end of the Summer League tourney, just happened to be us. Now whether we should be promoting them on the Kings gear website, eh... I guess as long as they have already been made by the NBA, why not? Not something to be ashamed of. Just not something to be actively touting very much. I'm not going to be caught wearing one. But then again, I'm not a silly goose.
Geez. Has it really gotten to this point? Where anyone who wants to enjoy the little moments along the way gets called names?

What exactly is wrong with having some fun? Sometimes I just don't understand why everything has to be so freaking serious.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Geez. Has it really gotten to this point? Where anyone who wants to enjoy the little moments along the way gets called names?

What exactly is wrong with having some fun? Sometimes I just don't understand why everything has to be so freaking serious.
I certainly think they could be worn in fun...for instance if the KF crew showed up to SL next year all wearing them, that's fun and in the spirit.

But in the Sacramento Kings eternal battle for respect printing up and pimping Summer League Champion T-shirts would be several degrees more mocked than merely raising Division Champion banners. The Spurs could do it. We can't. Not until we've started winning real games again, playoff games, and this sort of thing is seen as ironic. Right now everybody thinks we're losers who don't get it. So proudly stomping around in an SL champions T-Shirt would just play into that.