[Game] Kings vs Suns 7:30PM PDT/10:30 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Problem was Sabonis was facing Nurkic - and lost track of the ball - if he'd boxed it would've been easily called - you can't face-guard a player on a rebound.
Here's the play in question: (start @ 9:20)

When the ball comes off the rim Nurkic has both arms wrapped around Sabonis. Then as both of them jump for the ball, Sabonis jumps straight up but Nurkic jumps forward into his space which pushes Sabonis to the side. That looks like a loose ball foul on Nurkic to me.

When the ball comes off the rim Nurkic has both arms wrapped around Sabonis. Then as both of them jump for the ball, Sabonis jumps straight up but Nurkic jumps forward into his space which pushes Sabonis to the side. That looks like a loose ball foul on Nurkic to me.
Geo restrictions here, not available...anyway what Brown told in the presser with a video of him this time.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The refs are not holding him back. They just aren’t going to reward stupid basketball. If you have 3 defenders coming at you and you aren’t smart enough to find the open man you don’t deserve to be bailed out.
He hasn't gotten calls driving to the basket on obvious fouls or and-ones the last two years while the Kings have been a winning team. This isn't about one play this is about a star level player who gets tons of contact and routinely gets nothing in exchange for it. It's directly influenced him to start settling for more 3s.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It was one of the better passing games I've seen Fox play: two great long ball passes and some beautiful bounce passes. And then at the end it was come hell or high water he's going to shoot the ball, despite being surrounded by at least three guys. It would have been nice to set up a play for Fox to pass to a wide open player, as everybody on planet earth knew Fox would take the last shot. (I'll take Fox's word that he got fouled, but because he was darn near surrounded by Suns players it seemed just about impossible for the refs to see the foul take place because their line of vision was blocked by Suns players, as was the camera-man's by the way). On the Beal interception Sabonis made the same kind of mistake Fox did - he "forced" the pass to Fox instead of having the patience and trust to get the ball to one of his teammates that was actually open.

Then Ellis or Mitchell … whoever else was on the floor …
I bet suns stuffs doesn’t even bother to check who is the fifth player out there at the time of the play
Just watched the play again, the spacing was horrible. If Beal got all ball on that swipe down there is the reason Fox couldn't even look to pass. That's just a great stop. It sure looks like Brown was like Fox shoots, everyone else looks for a put back.

Just watched the play again, the spacing was horrible. If Beal got all ball on that swipe down there is the reason Fox couldn't even look to pass. That's just a great stop. It sure looks like Brown was like Fox shoots, everyone else looks for a put back.
Yup. That's how I saw it. He was going to take that shot, regardless of what the defense threw at him

Talking about the refs and to be fair... I think Fox wasn't called for 8 second violation twice. One was for sure (when he jumped fast to cross the middle of the court, and there was one more later on with the shot clock showing 16" the time he was crossing over. I think both times were before the last 2 minutes so it won't be on the report.

Yup. That's how I saw it. He was going to take that shot, regardless of what the defense threw at him
And if Beal doesn't get the ball it's a wide open jumper. Beal gambled and he gambled right. Is what it is. Unless Fox is right and Beal did foul him of course. Then the apology comes tomorrow, lol.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Talking about the refs and to be fair... I think Fox wasn't called for 8 second violation twice. One was for sure (when he jumped fast to cross the middle of the court, and there was one more later on with the shot clock showing 16" the time he was crossing over. I think both times were before the last 2 minutes so it won't be on the report.
I could be wrong, but if the clock is operating correctly you would not call the 8 second until it says 15 (or more accurately, the clock would show 15 at 8.01).

I could be wrong, but if the clock is operating correctly you would not call the 8 second until it says 15 (or more accurately, the clock would show 15 at 8.01).
I think you're right. I have noticed that this season a lot of players seem to wait until the 15 is showing when they are lagging it up the floor.

Also, keep in mind that, in reality, the official is looking at the Fox's feet as he approaches half court, then up at the clock as it approaches the 8 second mark, and then back down at Fox's feet as he crosses the line, and then one final look up at the clock as he crosses the line. That extra time, theoretically, benefits the ballhandler in that it allows maybe about an extra 0.5 second after the clock officially hits the 8 second mark to actually cross the halfcourt line.

hrdboild

Staff member
Then Ellis or Mitchell … whoever else was on the floor …
I bet suns stuffs doesn’t even bother to check who is the fifth player out there at the time of the play
It was really bad spacing by the Kings. Ellis and Murray are covered in the corners and Sabonis and Barnes are covered under the basket. Murray needed to run to the open space on the wing right after Barnes threw the in-bound pass and cleared out. That would have given Fox a better passing lane.

i wouldn't know but the first time it was at 15" and Fox saw it right at the end when he made that "jump".

Also a bit off topic, there has to be a rule change with this "shot clock doesn't start if the player doesn't touch the ball" and the rule says like "the team that wins the time is running, the team that is losing it doesn't"? It's very stupid and I saw some extreme plays this season, once in a Lakers match that 2 Lakers created a "fort" to protect the ball not to be touched to waste much time. Did Westbrook create this trend years ago?

It was really bad spacing by the Kings. Ellis and Murray are covered in the corners and Sabonis and Barnes are covered under the basket. Murray needed to run to the open space on the wing right after Barnes threw the in-bound pass and cleared out. That would have given Fox a better passing lane.
And again that is on ??
Isn’t it coaches job to place the players ?

i wouldn't know but the first time it was at 15" and Fox saw it right at the end when he made that "jump".

Also a bit off topic, there has to be a rule change with this "shot clock doesn't start if the player doesn't touch the ball" and the rule says like "the team that wins the time is running, the team that is losing it doesn't"? It's very stupid and I saw some extreme plays this season, once in a Lakers match that 2 Lakers created a "fort" to protect the ball not to be touched to waste much time. Did Westbrook create this trend years ago?
No. Players/Teams/Coaches have been doing it for a while now. The trend started long before the days of Russell Westbrook III.

As the shot goes up Sabonis face-guards and wraps him - that's the foul - Sabonis initiated first.....before the ball comes off the rim even. Sabonis is hugging him. He needed to pivot his left leg 180 deg to baseline to box-out with back but failred to react and fouled instead trying to screen him out....this foul wasn't as bad as the Durant one which was a bigger mental lapse -though both were the correct calls. He might get away with the hip check from time to time but rolling the dice bit him- and I'd bet he didn't remember they're in the penalty for that gamble - that's the damaging aspect of the lapse.

hrdboild

Staff member
And again that is on ??
Isn’t it coaches job to place the players ?
Sort of. It's the coach's job to tell the players what the play is during the timeout but they still have to execute it. And this was the second in-bound play after the timeout so it's certainly more likely in this case that they weren't all on the same page as to where they were supposed to go after the initial pass.

hrdboild

Staff member
As the shot goes up Sabonis face-guards and wraps him - that's the foul - Sabonis initiated first.....before the ball comes off the rim even. Sabonis is hugging him. He needed to pivot his left leg 180 deg to baseline to box-out with back but failred to react and fouled instead trying to screen him out....this foul wasn't as bad as the Durant one which was a bigger mental lapse -though both were the correct calls. He might get away with the hip check from time to time but rolling the dice bit him- and I'd bet he didn't remember they're in the penalty for that gamble - that's the damaging aspect of the lapse.
Ah,, I see. Maybe you're right. I didn't play the C position nor have I ever worked as a basketball referee so in some instances I just make assumptions about what's reasonable and how I've seen games called in the past. Nurkic to me looks like the one initiating the contact here and he's also the one who breaks the vertical plane so my intuition is if there's any illegal contact on this play then he would be considered at fault.

Good game Kings fans. It was a tight one. . I do think Suns were very careless with the ball and you guys managed to get some clutch offensive rebounds too whenever Suns got a stop which made things even tougher.

I do agree that refs didn’t give you a fair shake in the 4th qtr. Several missed calls when Nurk or KD were hacking Sabonis and one of our defenders hit Ellis on one of his 3pt attempts too I think. But don’t think for one second that the refs were doing this to help the Suns…Suns matter to the refs as much as the Kings do, both small market teams. This was done to help LeBron and the Lakers who now have a chance at #7 seed and avoiding Denver in the 1st round who have been spanking them for years.

Suns have been a massive disappointment and will be losing in the first or second round anyway. I have no hopes for this season and the roster and cap space and everything is ****ed anyway.
This team reminds me of the Chargers the last couple of years. They’ll build big leads that you know won’t last very long and will end up folding when all is said and done
Damn as Chargers fan also, I feel kind of attacked. But at the same time, Harbaugh is here now so I definitely feel more safe.
Booker was garbage in this game though. He should have been ejected after all the antics he pulled.
He had 5 fouls and 4 turnovers so this wasn’t a great game by any means but garbage is bit too strong. But he still had 21 pts on 7/12 shooting with 5 rebounds and 6 assists. Mediocre game by his standards.
Exhausted? He's 25 year old world class ath
Yeah I also chucked a bit that comment saying Fox is exhausted. The star player on the team Fox was playing KD is like 10 years older than Fox and played more minutes today and averages more mins than Fox for the season. I don’t think fatigue should be reason for Fox’s blunders considering his age.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I kind of laughed at the irony of that. Go ask Webber and Vlade if this NBA is too physical, lol. The league builds it's rules around it's stars. As Curry types begin to fade and 7'3"+ guys and 300 pound Zions and Jokic' fill the void, well, get ready a new day might be dawning here.
makes me wonder how they will officiate Victor as he fills out his body

Status
Not open for further replies.