[Game] Kings @ Pelicans (Play-In Tournament) - 4/19 6:30PM PDT/9:30 PM EDT

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Murray has been the key to the Kings and their future. Tonight he was the key to this game. Against GS he sailed and had 32 points on 15 shots and the Kings sailed with him. But New Orleans shut him down and the Kings were trying to fight with one arm behind their back because of it. He couldn't get the shots he wanted. He couldn't drive like he wanted. With about 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter Sabonis yelled to him, "Come on!" trying to encourage him. Sabonis knows how important he is to the entire Kings offense. Murray did make a 3 pointer on the next possession, but for all intent and purposes it was "game over" after that. Eleven points off of 12 shot attempts isn't remotely close to what was required.
Murray averaged 11.5 points on 36 percent shooting versus New Orleans, and 15.4 points on 46 percent shooting versus the rest of the league, and that includes an outlier where he 'erupted' for nineteen points. You'd like to see him devote at least part of his offseason to studying how teams like the Pelicans and Rockets were able to take him out of games, and develop a way to counter that.

He's still young. On the one hand he has the GS game to give him confidence, but on the other hand he has the New Orleans' game to challenge him to get better. This one is going to sting for the entire off-season. He's not a finished product. My 2 cents: Don't practice with a guard who prohibits you from going inside in their practice sessions. IMO, it would be much better to practice with a hurly burly forward who pounds on him and who he can pound on to get him toughened up for the upcoming season.
I think it is a product of both. Practicing with a guard allowed hom to be a better defender. But now homie needs to get stronger with the ball.

Murray averaged 11.5 points on 36 percent shooting versus New Orleans, and 15.4 points on 46 percent shooting versus the rest of the league, and that includes an outlier where he 'erupted' for nineteen points. You'd like to see him devote at least part of his offseason to studying how teams like the Pelicans and Rockets were able to take him out of games, and develop a way to counter that.
That's pretty much the point I was trying to make. I wish I did it better so I didn't get in so much trouble but thanks for clarifying it for me Slim. You a real one

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
This is the point I have been trying to make for this game tonight. Thank you for making it. It has gotten me in trouble with a few people so far but it's 100% true.
It hasn't gotten you "in trouble" with anybody: you were arguing with people who weren't talking about the same thing that you were. I didn't disagree with your argument, but that's not the statement that you were arguing against.

Yeah, I view it as a great learning experience. Now, with a good development coach he can devote his entire off-season to learn specifically how he can shine against those teams next season. As I said in another post, the key for him is to learn to use that big body of his to his advantage and punish people.

It hasn't gotten you "in trouble" with anybody: you were arguing with people who weren't talking about the same thing that you were. I didn't disagree with your argument, but that's not the statement that you were arguing against.
Well again, my bad. In the game thread, I just figured we were discussing the game and it's results. My fault.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Yeah, I view it as a great learning experience. Now, with a good development coach he can devote his entire off-season to learn specifically how he can shine against those teams next season. As I said in another post, the key for him is to learn to use that big body of his to his advantage and punish people.
This leads to another legitimate criticism of Mike Brown. Brown appears to be a good veteran's coach: I don't know if there's any particular evidence supporting him being a good developmental coach? Considering how Stockton performed this season, I can't help but wonder how big a role Coach Harding played in that last year?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Which essentially means that the Kings are 1-5 in their last six Game 7s. I think that Doc Rivers might even have a better record than that. :eek:
We had never won a winner take all in Sac until the Dubs, I think that included a few game 5s in the old format?

To me it's invaluable. It was a 46 win season. New Orleans was almost out of the playoffs with 49. This year will probably be an anomaly for the history books. I consider Fox, Domas, Keegan the only 2 guaranteed to be here from 2 years ago, plus Keon will likely be a starter. They were disappointing for various reasons tonight and I am sure learned from it. I really hope we reign in Fox with the 3 point shooting. Sometimes I am unsure if Brown really wants more 3s or he just wants more to go in. Free throw shooting needs to be resolved, and hopefully that will lead them to drive more. The most frustrating part of the end game tonight was they were driving and scoring. They did that in the first as well until it went sour. Should have gotten JV in foul trouble and pressed on BI. oh well.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
This leads to another legitimate criticism of Mike Brown. Brown appears to be a good veteran's coach: I don't know if there's any particular evidence supporting him being a good developmental coach? Considering how Stockton performed this season, I can't help but wonder how big a role Coach Harding played in that last year?
A lot of the underneath guys were there for that, everyone had an assistant assigned for development. We knew Jordi was going to get poached, I hope we retain Loucks and Barbosa (Doug likely isn't going anywhere). I like Harding in Stockton but she could easily break the gender barrier next year.

A lot of the underneath guys were there for that, everyone had an assistant assigned for development. We knew Jordi was going to get poached, I hope we retain Loucks and Barbosa (Doug likely isn't going anywhere). I like Harding in Stockton but she could easily break the gender barrier next year.
Would be "fitting" if Harding gets promoted before Christie and Jackson

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
We had never won a winner take all in Sac until the Dubs, I think that included a few game 5s in the old format?

To me it's invaluable.
Oh, I absolutely agree. The Kings' experience in winner-take-all games over the past two seasons was the only reason I even gave them a 'puncher's chance' tonight. I thought that they would be able to call on that experience and grit one out, but it wasn't to be.

I certainly can't complain about the lack of development of Ellis; it's been fantastic. Mitchell turned it around this year also, imo. But frankly I was miffed when I heard that Murray was practicing with Fox with "no-inside" (essentially no contact) rules because I would want him to have the opposite kind of training program. I would think that Murray's developmental training, which is of ultimate importance to this team, would have been thought through to the last little detail this past summer. It seems like they just let him free lance in a haphazard way rather than ultra-carefully and methodically devise a plan for him to become great. It annoys me and I hope there is much more thoughtful planning this upcoming summer than last summer.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I didn't watch a second of this one -- had other plans tonight. I've seen enough Kings basketball this season that I don't need to know everything that went wrong this time. I'm disappointed that our season is over but at the very least that means we're getting a late lotto pick this year. I don't hate that. Our off-season just got more interesting at least. I hope you were all civil to each other! I think we all kindof knew the Kings weren't ready this year anyway so now we start the work of getting better for next season so that we're not in this same position a year from now.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Would be "fitting" if Harding gets promoted before Christie and Jackson
I don't think Christie is really on anyone's radar? I don't know though. I imagine Jackson just saw he had limited growth potential in our org so left as well. I figured Jordi would get poached before Harding I could see Portland going after her.

Murray has been the key to the Kings and their future. Tonight he was the key to this game. Against GS he sailed and had 32 points on 15 shots and the Kings sailed with him. But New Orleans shut him down and the Kings were trying to fight with one arm behind their back because of it. He couldn't get the shots he wanted. He couldn't drive like he wanted. With about 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter Sabonis yelled to him, "Come on!" trying to encourage him. Sabonis knows how important he is to the entire Kings offense. Murray did make a 3 pointer on the next possession, but for all intent and purposes it was "game over" after that. Eleven points off of 12 shot attempts isn't remotely close to what was required.
Kenny said it before the game, if you watch Keegan he's mostly playing off the catch. That's how players like that are. The defense largely determines their effectiveness over all. Some teams give up the DHO, some don't. Keegan even said after the game the Pelicans blew up the DHO and they have all season. Keegan has a nice little step back but the difference between having that and being a Brandon Ingram is the ability to dribble in a few more times no matter the pressure. Those few little steps are everything sometimes.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm all ears for why Harding is more qualified to be a head coach in the NBA
She took a team that lost its starting center due to him committing a murder (hard to believe that was this season) and had a complete and total roster makeover (Keon was like the only guy on the team from last season and he was up in Sacramento all season) and took them to the WCF in her first season as a head coach at any level.

She took a team that lost its starting center due to him committing a murder (hard to believe that was this season) and had a complete and total roster makeover (Keon was like the only guy on the team from last season and he was up in Sacramento all season) and took them to the WCF in her first season as a head coach at any level.
and so now she is now more qualified than Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson, and several others?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm all ears for why Harding is more qualified to be a head coach in the NBA
In addition to what Testujin offered on her qualifications, there's a reason I called out Portland (in addition to having young moldable talent a step above G-League) because we are women's sports crazy here and the team owner had made it known she wants to be the one to break the gender barrier when they hired Chauncey.

There appears to be a certain type of team that he struggles against and those are the teams that have size on the perimeter to defend catch and shoot plays.

Houston, Boston, LAC, to name a few are all teams that attack the DHO and Keegan has done about as well or worse against them as he did the Pelicans.

In addition to what Testujin offered on her qualifications, there's a reason I called out Portland (in addition to having young moldable talent a step above G-League) because we are women's sports crazy here and the team owner had made it known she wants to be the one to break the gender barrier when they hired Chauncey.
Sounds like a political move, rather than interest in finding the most talented, experienced, and qualified head coach

[QUOTE="Caccia, post: 1802391, member: 67572" I do expect to see Murray on Ingram, unless Coach Brown calls an audible and puts Fox on him.

He palms it every time he dribbles. It's pretty easy to change directions when you do that. With that relatively high bounce, Fox might feast.[/QUOTE]

Fox on Ingram turned out to be effective, just like Fox on Draymond Green. Too bad they only went to it when there was only a prayer of a chance.