Kings interview Del Negro, Jackson and Mitchell for Head Coach position (Yahoo News)

K

KingMilz

I hope we get Vogel cause I feel with Blatt/Messina if things don/t work out we can still point the finger at the coaches. With Frank if it does not work out it's due to injuries or the fact the players are not good enough. Has to be at the top of the list NO MORE EXCUSES. Hiring Frank leaves no doubt where the blame will go.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is interesting: The Knicks coaching search appears to be on hold while Phil Jackson is traveling to Idaho.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...phil-jackson-takes-to-the-road-211724687.html

This is pretty good news for the Kings.

The Knicks coaching search is on hold for the moment.

And it hadn't occurred to me that Van Gundy might not have been willing to interview for the Rockets job as long as Bickerstaff was still in the picture.

So if Houston can convince JVG to take the gig (or at least spin their wheels long enough trying to convince him) and the Knicks aren't moving ahead, this could be exactly the time for the Kings to snatch up Vogel.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Let's not forget, as much talk as there is about Vivek and "jazz" and wanting to be more the the Warriors, VIVEK was the one who originally hired Malone, and from what it sounds like, it was good ol Pete D that convinced Vivek to fire Malone and then later hire GK. Hopefully, deep down, buried beneath jazz and 3 pt fantasies, there is a little man that loves good defense, and will hop on the Vogel bandwagon along with the fans!
On the surface, not so deep down, is a man who wants to make money and look like a hero in the process. :oops: I think he has noticed by ticket sales that some of what he did was right (hire Malone) and a whole bunch was wrong. Now he has to do what he has said he always does; hire smart people and let them do their job.

He hired Vlade and I presume he knew he was hiring a rookie GM if that is a proper title. Also, I think he knew Vlade was trusted and intelligent. Vlade's ego leaves a lot of room to share success with others. Vlade knows what he doesn't know and will fill those gaps with phone calls to an old coach and an old Serb friend of his ...... at the least. He will hire who needs to be hired and who are willing to be part of an adventure in turning around a train wreck. Many will turn him down right from the get go.

Vivek needs to stay informed and ask questions and at times may have something to offer. I think he has been humbled a bit and as a good business man, he is trying to repair his boo boos.

Let's not forget, as much talk as there is about Vivek and "jazz" and wanting to be more the the Warriors, VIVEK was the one who originally hired Malone, and from what it sounds like, it was good ol Pete D that convinced Vivek to fire Malone and then later hire GK. Hopefully, deep down, buried beneath jazz and 3 pt fantasies, there is a little man that loves good defense, and will hop on the Vogel bandwagon along with the fans!
When Vivek first became owner I recall there were a lot of stories about his daughter's basketball team. As I recall they got to the championship game with their defensive prowess and "swarming" technique that was unconventional and allowed his less-talented team to beat teams that were much more experienced and talented. If Vivek's first foray into basketball was through defensive strategy, I gotta imagine we can get him away from PDA pace ball. I hope! :)

This is interesting: The Knicks coaching search appears to be on hold while Phil Jackson is traveling to Idaho.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...phil-jackson-takes-to-the-road-211724687.html

And it hadn't occurred to me that Van Gundy might not have been willing to interview for the Rockets job as long as Bickerstaff was still in the picture.

So if Houston can convince JVG to take the gig (or at least spin their wheels long enough trying to convince him) and the Knicks aren't moving ahead, this could be exactly the time for the Kings to snatch up Vogel.
interesting, indeed. i hope vlade is prepared to act swiftly, and i hope daryl morey's layups-and-three's obsession renders him less compelled to hire a defense-first head coach like vogel, although JVG also strikes me as a rather strange fit for the moreyball-styled rockets, so who knows what houston intends to do? i've generally found their behavior perplexing since morey took over, with his endless pursuit of superstar-level talent regardless of fit seeming to undercut his slavish devotion to efficiency and the analytics movement...

beyond that, phil jackson just continues to confound in his utter aloofness and in his approach to managing the knicks, doesn't he? taking a vacation while time-sensitive business like hiring a head coach is still on the to-do list? i suppose he can conduct business from the road to a degree, but you'd think he'd want to wait until after he's hired a head coach to post vacation pics to his social media accounts. knicks fans and the new york media are cynical enough and skeptical enough as it is. unless, of course, it's some elaborate excuse to watch other teams scoop up the top-tier head coaches remaining on the market so he can feel less pressured to hire outside of his triangle-fetishizing comfort zone...

i mean, this has to have been one of the most talent-rich head coaching pools in recent memory, with well-established guys like tom thibodeau, scott brooks, kevin mchale, frank vogel, and jeff van gundy hitting/sitting on the market. then there's the less-established guys who are expecting a second chance like david blatt, jeff hornacek, and mark jackson. and there's the promising assistants like luke walton, kenny atkinson, ettore messina, james borrego, ime udoka, and elston turner. there's even a decent stable of also-rans in vinny del negro, mike woodson, nate mcmillan, sam mitchell, and lionel hollins. if p-jax's only move on this front is to drop the "interim" tag from kurt rambis' title while there was an unusually large handful of quality options just waiting to be scooped up, then i have a really hard time imagining that he doesn't get fired by the end of next season...

Let's see, Vlade's interviewed Messina, Blatt, not Vogel. Who hasn't he talked to yet? I know, it's not public information. I believe he wants an early resolution. Last week at this time I thought he would announce by tomorrow, Frday. Now it looks like a week from tomorrow at the earliest. Week after that is ping pong ball week. Time is of the essence.

Unless Vogel decides to sit out a year or two like Thibs and SVG. He might feel that waiting for a job that will offer him greater control is worth waiting for, something he probably wouldn't get here, in Houston, or New York.

Let's see, Vlade's interviewed Messina, Blatt, not Vogel. Who hasn't he talked to yet? I know, it's not public information. I believe he wants an early resolution. Last week at this time I thought he would announce by tomorrow, Frday. Now it looks like a week from tomorrow at the earliest. Week after that is ping pong ball week. Time is of the essence.
Lets put the positive spin, Vlade was ready to present his top 3 list, but sudden Vogel's availability (officially as of today) made Vlade delay finalizing that list :)

Let me be clear. I'm not at all suggesting that Blatt isn't a good coach. I believe that he is. I'm only addressing the communication piece that Čarolija brought up, as well as the difference in coaching teams in Europe vs. the NBA. It's a valid concern. And if Blatt couldn't make it work with LeBron, there's reason to believe he could have issues with DeMarcus or other alpha players on other teams. That's all I was pointing out. I don't pretend to know a lot about Blatt or Messina. Maybe both are straight shooters that Cuz would get along with well, but might have problems with a Rajon Rondo type instead.

I just think it's something to strongly consider before hiring these guys. But it doesn't mean neither would work here or be successful. You never know until you give it a go.
I might be deluded but IMHO it has always been a much harder work to get LeBron to buy in than Cousins. All Cousins wants is straight up honesty. Don't go behind his back and try dodgy things. Don't have the dictatorial approach of "drop down and give me 50". Just be a man, promote unity, back your players in, have their back, stand up for them and stand up to them to their face. It is not that hard.

LeBron has always had issues with any coach that was honest and has not pampered to him. He tried to pull his crap at Miami and get the coach fired until godfather Riley slapped him and said back away kid, that's not how we run things around here. Coach is my guy and he is not going anywhere so you better make it work if you want that ring. Once LeBron got his ring he went back to CLE and pulled his crap there. I would suggest that Blatt has more change of working out with Cousins than he ever did with LeBron.

Did any players ever have any issues with Vogel? He knows the game, but I wonder how he dealt with player personnel. I haven't heard from anyone on the Pacer's roster on it, although it seems like Granger loved him when he used to play for him.
There have never been any rumors of it as far as I am aware. He also got Ellis playing well this season and has a knack for getting the best out of his players. He is by far my #1 choice. Get it done Vlade.

When Vivek first became owner I recall there were a lot of stories about his daughter's basketball team. As I recall they got to the championship game with their defensive prowess and "swarming" technique that was unconventional and allowed his less-talented team to beat teams that were much more experienced and talented. If Vivek's first foray into basketball was through defensive strategy, I gotta imagine we can get him away from PDA pace ball. I hope! :)
Playing press with a bunch of eighth graders isn't a commitment to defense, it's exploiting a lack of ball handling and talent. Pretty much a douche move for kids trying to learn a real system . If you want to read about his genius Malcom Gladwell wrote a ridiculous piece on how great Vivek's farts smell.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/05/11/how-david-beats-goliath

Would love to see Vogel here. Beside the obvious focus on defense, under Vogel Paul George developed as much as any player in the league. He went from basically a defensive roleplayer into one of the best two way players out there. Everything people liked about Malone Vogel does, just with a better track record.

Last edited:
Please, somehow, someway get this man. You wonder who could DeMarcus Cousins possibly vibe with? Here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pacers-frank-vogel-180049731.html
Vogel now is what people hoped Mike Malone would become in a few years, but never got a chance to in Sacramento.

If Vivek wants to recapture that "Coach" he let get away, then Vogel should be his man!

LET'S GET IT DONE VIVEK AND VLADE!!! OPEN UP THAT POCKET BOOK AND LET'S GET THE BEST COACH ON THE MARKET!!! :D

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't see Vogel wanting to come here but that's just personal opinion. I suppose if you could someway, somehow lure him to come here, the offense might take a nose dive considering the last four seasons, the Pacers have been in the bottom of the league in scoring. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, you can't have the best of both worlds, I understand. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of offensive mind does he have, either that or that might explain why Vlade will bring in some assistant coaches to help the other side of the ball.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The draft lottery isn't much of a deadline. There's no reason you need to have a coach at that point. But by the time the pre-draft camp rolls around and certainly when prospects start coming in for visits, that's when you need to have a coach in place.

If Vogel is a real option then by all means change the timeline. Get this right Vlade.

I don't see Vogel wanting to come here but that's just personal opinion. I suppose if you could someway, somehow lure him to come here, the offense might take a nose dive considering the last four seasons, the Pacers have been in the bottom of the league in scoring. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, you can't have the best of both worlds, I understand. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of offensive mind does he have, either that or that might explain why Vlade will bring in some assistant coaches to help the other side of the ball.
He's never had much offensive talent. Yet he got guys like Hibbert and Lance to play at a near all star level. Getting far more out of them on that end then anyone has since.

Not that he isn't flawed, but he was fired because Bird wants to go small and they're small ball lineup didn't produce, so naturally Vogel went away from it as the season progressed. All of this should sound familiar and presents itself as one of rare opportunity to get back on a path that was seemingly lost.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
I would think that if Vivek opens the checkbook, Vlade works his people skills on Vogel and then Vogel looks at the stable of bigs in Cuz, WCS, Koufos and realizes that we got the bigs in place for some interior defense......might be enticing enough....did I mention we got the best big man in the NBA?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Then again, let's take a long look at the offensive "talent" those rosters had.

Bricklayer

Hey hey...do you know where Frank Vogel went to college?

University of Kentucky.

I kid you not. From the wiki:

Also Pitino and O'Brien as you can see how that coaching tree worked. Pitino leaves for Celts, takes O'Brien with him. Pitino fails, O'Brien takes over. O'brien fired by C's, takes over Pacers, taps the former young video coordinator he worked with at Kentucky. O'Brien fails and....

Bricklayer

Unless Vogel decides to sit out a year or two like Thibs and SVG. He might feel that waiting for a job that will offer him greater control is worth waiting for, something he probably wouldn't get here, in Houston, or New York.
again, the difference is, or at least potentially is, that Thibs and I think SVG were both FIRED, so they were both still getting paid for their uncoached years. Same situation McHale is in. Get paid millions to mow your lawn. Reduces incentive.

But Vogel a) wasn't ever paid that much by NBA coach standards, even this past year was only at $2.5mil; and b) merely had his contract expire naturally, then bird did not renew it. So next year Vogel isn't going to have any income coming in, certainly not big money. Ups the incentive to return tremendously.

That's what I'm scared of too... Vivek can't help himself again and start meddling. Trying to turn us into the Warriors with "pace" and "music" offense with a "jazz director" of a coach.
meddling meddler meddles meddling owner
he needs to design a software nba simulation game and let himself GM through it so he can get his rocks off.

Playing press with a bunch of eighth graders isn't a commitment to defense, it's exploiting a lack of ball handling and talent. Pretty much a douche move for kids trying to learn a real system . If you want to read about his genius Malcom Gladwell wrote a ridiculous piece on how great Vivek's farts smell.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/05/11/how-david-beats-goliath

Would love to see Vogel here. Beside the obvious focus on defense, under Vogel Paul George developed as much as any player in the league. He went from basically a defensive roleplayer into one of the best two way players out there. Everything people liked about Malone Vogel does, just with a better track record.
I see that you quoted my post, but it's as though you're responding to something that I didn't say. I didn't say he had a commitment to defense. The previous poster mentioned that Vivek had started out his ownership career by hiring Malone - who was touted as being responsible for Golden State's defense. I expressed optimism that Vivek might have a love of defense somewhere in him by pointing out that his experience before being involved in the NBA revolved around coming up with defensive sets. Whether you think it's "douchey" or not, it worked and it was defense.

again, the difference is, or at least potentially is, that Thibs and I think SVG were both FIRED, so they were both still getting paid for their uncoached years. Same situation McHale is in. Get paid millions to mow your lawn. Reduces incentive.

But Vogel a) wasn't ever paid that much by NBA coach standards, even this past year was only at $2.5mil; and b) merely had his contract expire naturally, then bird did not renew it. So next year Vogel isn't going to have any income coming in, certainly not big money. Ups the incentive to return tremendously.
True, there's that incentive to return. But as long as he can afford it, he won't jump at the wrong coaching job, and may feel that if he waits a year or two he might get a "better" opportunity more suited to him philosophy wise and perhaps control wise as well. If he takes the "wrong" job, that could see him fired and set him back. Granted he could wait and take the wrong job, or wait and find no better opportunities available. So there's a risk either way, but all I'm saying is that if Vogel doesn't feel the Knicks, Rockets or Kings are a good fit he may decide to wait a year for the next round of vacancies.