Kings interview Del Negro, Jackson and Mitchell for Head Coach position (Yahoo News)

Vogel takes things up a notch. Could he be the best fit for the team as is? Was it his idea to put Paul George at the 4, because Rudy might be more to his liking there and I don't think Rudy complains as much as George did about the physicality at the position.

Given McHale's reported disinterest in living in CA, is today's news really a surprise? The Kings (or any other CA team for that matter) would probably have to be an overwhelmingly attractive fit in order to overcome something like that -- which they aren't.

Vogel takes things up a notch. Could he be the best fit for the team as is? Was it his idea to put Paul George at the 4, because Rudy might be more to his liking there and I don't think Rudy complains as much as George did about the physicality at the position.
it was bird's idea. george was opposed to it, and vogel disagreed with it, so after experimenting a bit with PG at the 4, vogel eventually moved him back to the 3 full-time...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No, that was Bird's bright idea. And Vogel's retreat from it may have been one of the reasons Bird canned him.

Did any players ever have any issues with Vogel? He knows the game, but I wonder how he dealt with player personnel. I haven't heard from anyone on the Pacer's roster on it, although it seems like Granger loved him when he used to play for him.

Couple things:

1. I'm happy McHale is out I want Blatt/Messina with Vogel at 1

2. I think Vogel goes to NY

3. Lakers won't get PG13 without giving up Russell/top 2 pick

4. There not giving up PG13 dudes like 25

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
i'm in full agreement here. with vogel now on the market, my expectation as a fan is that the kings should go hard after him. if houston and new york are wise, they'll do the same, and while the kings likely lose a three-team tug-of-war should each of those franchises pursue vogel's services, he should absolutely be vlade's #1 priority. the guy can flat-out coach defense, he knows how to manage a locker room, he holds his players accountable, he never airs out his team's dirty laundry in the press, and his rosters always play with effort and they always play together. i suspect that he and demarcus could rather easily forge the same kind of strong partnership that mike malone and demarcus managed to forge in a brief amount of time together, and i can also certainly appreciate the value that vogel would bring to a post-demarcus kings franchise, should big cuz get traded before his contract expires. in my mind, hiring vogel would be a "win" all around, offensive limitations be damned...
Vogel (like McHale) is a guy I would envision working well with this season's roster. I'd imagine he'd be comfortable putting the ball in Rondo's hands. I don't think Vogel is offensively limited so much as he is focused more on the defensive end. Kind of the reverse of Adelman. Honestly I'd rather have Vogel than Thibs.

Blatt & Messina would likely mean not bringing Rondo back as neither of them run offenses that make use of a traditional high usage, play making PG.

I could make a case for either scenario (Rondo or no Rondo) but even though I personally lean towards not re-signing him, signing Vogel woukd put me back on board with bringing him back as he'd get whatever can be gotten out of Rondo on that end of the floor.

Couple things:

1. I'm happy McHale is out I want Blatt/Messina with Vogel at 1

2. I think Vogel goes to NY
Of the guys still linked to the job my top three are also now Vogel, Messina & Blatt. After that probably Woodson, Del Negro and Turner.

Vogel makes a lot of sense for New York and I believe he grew up in NJ. But it's hard to read what Phil Jackson will do. I think he definitely wants a coach that's receptive to him being more directly involved, something Fisher apparently wasn't.

Sucks!

This is where a David Morway as GM and Indiana connection would have helped with Vogel!

Hopefully Coach Calipari can put in a good word for us! :D

you really think vivek will allow defensive coach to be the next one? he loves the dub's sexy style

vivek will want a blatt so he can run run run and gun gun gun like the double u's
That's what I'm scared of too... Vivek can't help himself again and start meddling. Trying to turn us into the Warriors with "pace" and "music" offense with a "jazz director" of a coach.

Vogel makes a lot of sense for New York and I believe he grew up in NJ. But it's hard to read what Phil Jackson will do. I think he definitely wants a coach that's receptive to him being more directly involved, something Fisher apparently wasn't.
while new york is no doubt an attractive destination for vogel, i'm not sure that he would be terribly receptive to phil's increased involvement on the coaching side of things, especially after the "paul george at the 4" fiasco and larry bird's insistence on increased scoring. like a lot of head coaches right now, i imagine vogel is going for to be looking for some measure of autonomy on the court after experiencing a lack of congruence with management...

Could our roster be a deciding factor in luring Vogel? We arguably have one of the strongest benches(top 15)in the NBA Collison/Belinelli/Casspi/Kofus.

Our biggest hole is at PG next season. However, we have one of the best big man in the game and a top 15 SF in Rudy. I think McLemore would improve tremendously under Vogel. Look at what he did with George, Stephenson, and Solomon Hill. All of these guys were raw athletic wings. If he can help McLemore improve, our SG position wouldn't be a problem anymore.

This would allow us to use our draft pick for a PG or go after a PG in FA.

Our roster age is fairly average. Most of the players are in their prime compared to Houston. Most of the guys on their team declined horribly last season...Ariza and Brewer.

gunks

Hall of Famer
you really think vivek will allow defensive coach to be the next one? he loves the dub's sexy style

vivek will want a blatt so he can run run run and gun gun gun like the double u's
While I agree with your opinion of our doofy, meddling, goblin of an irritant of an owner. .....

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by what Blatt would bring on the defensive end.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in on Vogel now that he's available, but Blatt would be a helluva consolation prize.

Man, how stupid is Indiana? This feels very similar to us firing Adelman 10 years ago. All Vogel has done is get the most out of his teams, build elite (with Hibbs, Lance and West) to very good defensive teams with average personal the last few years. Dude is a players coach and gets his clubs to buy in to his system 100%.

If we truly want to turn this ship around, Vogel is how we do it. Elite, young coaches aren't available pretty much ever.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't know much about Vogel's style and coaching philosophy. Does anybody have a spark notes version of his Pros and Cons?
Strengths: defense
Weaknesses: Offense

Well maybe. That would be Bird's story at least. At the least Vogel prioitizes defense first, and tries to score enough to beat you after they've strangled you, rather than trying to score every posssession and then try to slow you down often enough to beat you. By far the biggest red flag for Vogel looking at us would likely not be Vlade, not Cuz, but rather a twitchy casual fan owner, fascinated as most casual fans are with pretty running and gunning. And then there is what happened to Malone, who largely has a similar focus, just less accomplished at this point.

Yeah, just go out and get the biggest suck-up to Cousins you can find. Voila! Success!
what is with you, exactly? why must you reduce every valid point about a future coach's ability to mesh with cousins into a referendum against hiring such a coach in the first place? your particular brand of cousins-bashing is in a galaxy beyond disingenuous. finding a coach who is likely to mesh well with cousins' personality and talent-level is hardly the same thing as acquiring "the biggest suck-up to cousins you can find."

when the kings hired mike malone, a young, defense-first head coach who understood how to connect with a superstar of cousins' disposition, did you consider that "sucking up to cousins" simply because malone stated his desire to forge a strong partnership with the kings' superstar center? if the kings successfully managed to hire frank vogel, another young, defense-first head coach who could conceivably forge a strong partnership with the kings' superstar center, would you consider that "sucking up to cousins"?

hell, what coach on the market could the kings even hire that would constitute this "sucking up to cousins" that you're so convinced is occurring within the kings' organization?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
what is with you, exactly? why must you reduce every valid point about a future coach's ability to mesh with cousins into a referendum against hiring such a coach in the first place? your particular brand of cousins-bashing is in a galaxy beyond disingenuous. finding a coach who is likely to mesh well with cousins' personality and talent-level is hardly the same thing as acquiring "the biggest suck-up to cousins you can find."

when the kings hired mike malone, a young, defense-first head coach who understood how to connect with a superstar of cousins' disposition, did you consider that "sucking up to cousins" simply because malone stated his desire to forge a strong partnership with the kings' superstar center? if the kings successfully managed to hire frank vogel, another young, defense-first head coach who could conceivably forge a strong partnership with the kings' superstar center, would you consider that "sucking up to cousins"?

hell, what coach on the market could the kings even hire that would constitute this "sucking up to cousins" that you're so convinced is occurring within the kings' organization?
Oh dear, padrino, you used too many big words and complex concepts and your point was undoubtedly lost.

Just stop with the rational talk. There's no place for it :D.

In all seriousness, it will go in one ear and out the other of the intended party. Lost cause.

Let's not forget, as much talk as there is about Vivek and "jazz" and wanting to be more the the Warriors, VIVEK was the one who originally hired Malone, and from what it sounds like, it was good ol Pete D that convinced Vivek to fire Malone and then later hire GK. Hopefully, deep down, buried beneath jazz and 3 pt fantasies, there is a little man that loves good defense, and will hop on the Vogel bandwagon along with the fans!